Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

bees x1000 posted:

So uh call me crazy but, maybe they should capitalize on this hype by making the other three films available for streaming

I'm pretty sure they're dropping all 4 if I read that report right.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Szmitten posted:

No, just any meta elements are kinda probably going to be the blow-off for potentially 25 years of pent up ideas which a more recent experience might make kinda redundant. I'm not trying to gatekeep, I just cherish the experience I've had :shobon:

Who loving cares

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
One week left

Also this for the dub people:

https://twitter.com/EvaMonkey/status/1423823582740697095

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Roth posted:

I hope they announce a box set of all four movies. 2.22 is the only one that's not out of print.

Yeah by the time I was ready to buy them, they all went out of print. Hoping for a 4k version, would be so sick

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Being a non-dub watcher is honestly way less stress free than actually watching it dubbed it seems

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Midjack posted:

Only if the subs aren't the same hosed up poo poo.

I can handle third children. It’s fun

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
see yall on the other side. blacking out my socials so i dont get spoiled lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
This movie is so far passing the vibe check

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I’m loving crying. That was beautiful

E: I cannot wait for everyone to watch this

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 12, 2021

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Does this drop at midnight?

Yes

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Bluray preorders will be going live here as well for the original series, EoE and Death (2)

https://store.gkids.com/pages/neon-genesis-evangelion?utm_source=gkids&utm_medium=vanity&utm_campaign=gkidseva&utm_id=NGE

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah as someone who's read the wikis and gone through the whole rabbit hole multiple times, I wasn't really shocked at some of the new stuff but I will say, what did shock me was Anno and his staff's willingness to just get weird, AGAIN! Of course it was always going to be weird but I love that. Especially after the polarizing reaction to 3.0, just so sick.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Elentor posted:

Having not watched any of the rebuild movies, the beginning of the movie was a trip for me. I was like "oh so is this a post-llama with hats world" jokingly, then I see the blood vortex in Paris and I was like ok yes this is a post-llama with hats world.

I thought it was fine, the end being "literally, the end of evangelion," was nice, I have no impression of Mari other than that she seems like a walking plot device to make everything possible/happy for everyone. A lot of the movie felt like pure nonsense but it's not like, I wasn't ready for that in an Evangelion movie.

Love watching the 4th movie in a series without watching the previous ones

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Raxivace posted:

This does make me wonder how much Anno is writing himself into Gendo these days. I always figured in the original NGE Gendo was likely based on Anno's own father, but now I have to wonder if he isn't imagining what would happen to him if he lost Moyoco when he writes Gendo in Rebuild.

Based on the documentary, they talk about his relationship with his father and I'll just go with it is his about his father probably.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

roobots posted:

I like Lih's interpretation here, though it still makes some threads narratively unsatisfying. Like Asuka found that happiness with Kensuke, but in Shinji's world she is clearly on the train platform apart from Rei/Kaworu, which felt particularly odd that she didn't get a zoom in as they did. So that's just... gone. As is every other experience, which I don't love. As far as rewinding, Shinji is pretty clear that the only change he is making is making a world without EVA, so just remove all the sci-fi out of the equation. None of the impacts ever happen, NERV, SEELE, all of that stuff doesn't need to exist. It's why everyone is older in the final shots. Shinji is aged the 14 years he lost, as is Mari, which means Curse of EVA never happened.

Another thing here is that I read the final city is based on his hometown, my interpretation is that now all evangelions are gone he is free to simply finally continue to live his life and move on.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

G-III posted:

So can we all make a pact to publicly say this new movie is great even if we feel it isn't so Anno doesn't do this poo poo over a fourth time?

Granted that mfer could just come back to troll the entire planet into the ground with a live action 'Shin Evangelion'. The threat is real

Speak for yourself. This movie loving ruled

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Miching Mallecho posted:

It was fine, I liked it. Pretty good, pretty pretty good. The music was awesome.

I do find it hysterical that the manga had that special chapter about Mari being a college friend to Yui and Gendo, with Sadamoto saying that he only did it for fun and it had nothing to do with the movies and then Thrice basically confirms and shows that yeah she was friends Yui and Gendo in college :lol:

Its canon!!!! They threw us all of!!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Stalins Moustache posted:

Finally watched it. :unsmith:

That was a beautiful ending. I do have criticisms about the nonsensical nature of the robots doing robot things, but the meta-commentary when the fight scene is revealed to be a silly stage made me realize that I was watching it for the wrong reasons. Once I embraced that this movie is incredibly hopeful and is all about letting go, I started loving it :unsmith:

This is exactly how I felt when watching it too.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
All Imma say about Yui is that from the original series flashback episode, she knew much more than she let on.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Paper Lion posted:

imagine watching evangelion for 25 years and then coming into this thread after the big finale and actually complaining that everything worked out this time because they actually communicated for once. like, no poo poo? the whole problem has always been lack of communication, no one ever communicated how they felt, we HAVE PERSONAL A.T FIELDS THAT INHIBIT IT, instrumentality's whole point is to destroy the boundries between each other so we don't need to communicate anymore and exist in singularity. original NGE is "i am sad and it is hard to communicate why without feeling judged, but maybe if i try harder at it and accept my feelings and my problems as my own then i will have a better life" and rebuild is "i managed to communicate my needs, and was rewarded with a better life. you can do it too!" these works are entirely consistent and in conversation with each other. one is made by a man in the middle of the throes of depression, making a work that is telling himself the things he needs to tell himself in order to get through the day and maintain some hope that things could ever change for him one day, and the other is by a man that actually came out the other side and is trying to show other people that he understands where they are now but that they can do it too. i do not say this to be mean, but to the poster above saying they're in therapy and that there's no way people would get better by just talking, i can guarantee you that you will have a lot of success opening up and engaging in radical honesty with yourself and others. this film and series of films was literally made for people in your position. keep at it! anno believes in you!!!

thats right

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Covok posted:

1) A lot of technobabble usually gets cutout of the dubs by localizers. This isn't just an Eva thing either. Japanese scripts are kind of dry and have a lot of long, plodding scenes where characters describe boring details like this. I remember Appleseed Exmacina calling this out in their commentary track, saying how often localizers of Japanese media find themselves removing boring exposition dialogue with more character driven pieces to keep the interest of American audiences. For an Eva example, I think there is a scene where Ritsuko literally goes over all the details of a project to Misato whereas the localizers had Ritsuko say the plan was poorly thought out but that she wouldn't bother explaining it because she knew Misato would do it regardless. Studio Kara has been stricter on their dubs recently, especially Eva, and neither Netflix nor Amazon care enough to give any push back.

For the record it’s cool having all the details

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Zhanism posted:

In the end Gendo is the master manipulator and everyone else is an idiot. Everything Wille does Gendo anticipates. The whole 3rd movie happens because they didnt bother to tell Shinji ANYTHING about what happened so of course he runs off with Rei the first chance they get.

Then they know there was 4 ships planned and there were 4 Adams so of course they fly the 4th ship straight to where Gendo was so he can use it and get 01 back.

Seriously, does anyone in this show think other than Gendo? Its so laughable how easy Gendos trap was for Wille.

Yeah if I were there I would’ve stopped gendo easy

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

BB2K posted:

One last kiss sucks

Its just a boring j-pop song

Mods perma ban this goon

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
What the gently caress no fly me to the moon?????? Are they insane

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
well I loving bought it. I still have my older versions on my pc with the og fly me to the moon endings. It really sucks they can't get the licensing on that. Like what the gently caress

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

cuz i want the art duh

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Preorders on the box set sold out in the US

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I don’t know who needs to hear this but, The fights aren’t even the reason why Evangelion is so good.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Augus posted:

they definitely help tho
EoE wouldn’t be the same without the fight between Asuka and the Eva series

Most of that movie is not fights. Its a dope fight though I agree, but personally I think the fights in the movies are fine too. The CGI is hit or miss but most of the time hits for me, personally

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

super-redguy posted:

Anno having the battleships make the Ultra Signs of the Ultra Brothers while arranging them in the exact same way they got crucified in Ultraman Ace on Planet Golgotha is the funniest poo poo.

Of course the Golgotha Object shows up right after.

Wait is that second spoiler an ultraman thing!?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

super-redguy posted:

The Ultra Bros were also crucified on Planet Golgotha.

Tsuburaya was big on Christianity.

lmfao amazing

E:

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/1429269937382690818

YESSS

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think it is more likely that unit 2 is soryu, the original. i base this solely on how ridiculously tough and tenacious rebuild unit 2 is. that thing just won't friggin' die!

I was thinking the same thing

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Weird BIAS posted:

Does Kaworu actively wish for Shinji's death though is the question since Anno being Shinji is less subtext than text at this point.

No he just wishes for Shinji to be happy. But that doesn't mean that would bring Kaworu happiness, which this movie explores.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

GimmickMan posted:

the one thing that no one has mentioned yet and really bothers me is that they changed shinji's va to a more masculine one for that last scene at the train station

like i get the idea is to show that he's a changed person and an adult now but it implies a grown up shinji should be manlier which is a disservice to the excellent work megumi ogata was doing five minutes prior portraying a mature shinji and also torpedoes the trans mtf shinji reading which i thought was a really nice take on the character

Sounds like you’re just upset because you had completely different read on the character than Anno himself does

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://twitter.com/GKIDSfilms/status/1432297378841780228

Here's an image with all 3 in comparison. I didn't realize the ultimate was gonna be that big actually.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Major Operation posted:

Maybe they sold through the original Ultimate Edition pre-order numbers faster than they expected and they're just extending the manufacturing to make more? Or did enough people cancel and buy the cheaper editions once they became available that they're trying to avoid getting stuck with pallets of those art boards/name tags/paper weights? (edit: I don't remember what the original number was, but it may have been 5000?)

If Viz is not already planning a hardcover limited-time release of the NGE manga they gotta get better strategy/product people. Even the regular paperbacks are not easy to find online.

Yeah it’s basically the cancellations

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Heran Bago posted:

I watched the series End Of movie, and four rebuild movies, all for the first time, over the month. It was very interesting. Still taking it in.

What was Mari's personal issue or mental struggle? All the other characters have obvious trauma or emotional issues.

She represents a new path forward for shinji

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Got an email that the ultimate edition should start shipping next week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Ultimate Edition arrived today, and its a beast. Holy poo poo this is awesome