Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Dr_Amazing posted:

I watched whichever movie starts with the main guy jerking off on a girl in a coma.

Alright you're good.

e: maybe give Rebuild a go.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

To hell with, you know, wherever all of this is going, though I love that it's almost impossible to predict where exactly that is. I want the fourth movie to be about all of the ludicrous poo poo that apparently went down during that time skip. Some of those shots are so abstract that they're difficult to even begin to process. I need to take screencaps and just stare at them for awhile.

e: also I agree with the post below mine. Hell most of the people on the ground at the end of the second movie didn't seem to know what was happening. Misato was actively encouraging him. They had already flown way past the point of anything making sense and I don't see how you could expect Shinji of all people to know what he was doing any more than we the viewers knew what he was doing.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 29, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Stitched image from 3.33. Spoilers obv.

Like I don't even know what I'm looking at. :psyduck:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Stalins Moustache posted:

Well, I have no idea what I'm looking at either :psyduck:.
Do they stand at the "top" of the Nerv HQ, looking down? I was thinking that the pyramid at the top was the new HQ, but it's apparent that they still are in the old and beaten down HQ down in the canyon.

No clue! i didn't get a good idea of where they were actually looking from. Aside from the crazy teeth and the blood-soaked moon just hanging out (is that the Earth's actual moon? not the black moon from EoE?) it's the bottom of the image that really gets me. It's like the perspective goes weird. Is the dark purple the inside of the "bowl" of a huge crater that the tall structure they're standing on is in the center of? And that weird patterned border above it... :psyduck:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

tooooooo bad posted:

Stitched image from 3.33. Spoilers obv.

Like I don't even know what I'm looking at. :psyduck:

More 3.33 spoilers.

That long crazy pan with the tower or whatever. The apocalypse sure is pretty. :swoon:
Bonus because hey why not, which is what I assume they were thinking as they came up with this scene.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

In the first image, if we assume that the tower thing is straight up and down, then we can attribute the bulging out it does near the middle to a point of view related optical illusion, and hopefully aid us in determining where the hell they are when they're looking at it.

Almost certainly. I didn't get the impression that pan was from their viewpoint but uhhh who knows. You'd think that a second massive building would be visible in a shot at some point. Just having a real hard time reconciling the whole place.

I guess this was obvious but it just now occurred to me that the pyramid and lake must be inside the tower. This distant shot gives you a good view of the entire crater. I guess the city just sank at some point? You can spot scenic mouth canyon on the left side. Again, this seems totally obvious now, but they must have been standing on the outside of the tower. Shinji's suit was probably just required due to their altitude. I had assumed that the air was toxic or something at first.

Strange that the low-hanging moon never shows up in any other scene considering how much of the sky it obscures. If you watch that scene again you can see that it's actually moving across the sky at a pretty good clip. :iiam:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

DerLeo posted:

But then how does the perspective of that work? If he's inside an enclosed shaft on the tower, in essence, how is he looking out over the landscape? Nothing about this makes spatial sense :psyduck:

No, I meant that Shinji and Kaworu were standing on stairs ringing the outside of the tower, looking out over the landscape. That's why you can see the purple of the crater walls at the bottom of their view.

Speaking of things that were probably obvious to everyone: duuuuuuuh. Top is from the flashback to the end of the second movie.

edit: though I have no idea where all of the scenes at Nerv actually take place. They couldn't be inside the tower with the pyramid because you can see too much sky around them. I guess they're around the base of the tower? If that's the case then there's a lot of weird omission of massive things that should be taking up a lot of the background going on.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 30, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

bof_man posted:

Below is a spoilerific basic literal summary of Rebuild 3. I'm not sure if it's possible to answer your second question without conjectures and inferences, and a dissertation. Not promising anything, but I might try to answer it later.

ACT 1 - The Wunder - The Premise
Shinji is extracted from Eva-01 after a battle against man-made Angels. Shinji hosed up and people are so angry at him that they want to make sure he doesn't gently caress up again. They install a collar on him that explodes if he does something that makes them angry, like piloting an Eva. Eva-01 is used to power the Wunder. The Wunder is an Eva-like airship. The Wunder is used to destroy 4 man-made Angels. Shinji is explained that 14 years passed. Shinji doesn't get it so when Nerv sends Rei Q piloting Eva-09 to take him back, he goes back with Rei. He was told numerous times not to pilot Eva.

ACT 2 - Nerv - The Setup
Nerv headquarters is in ruins. Shinji discovers Rei is not Rei from the previous Rebuilds but a new Rei (let's call her Rei Q). Shinji meets Kaworu. Gendo tells Shinji to pilot Eva-13 with Kaworu. Shinji discovers Rei Q is even more a spaz than in the previous movies. Kaworu and Shinji play the piano. Kaworu shows Shinji how much he hosed up by triggering Near-Third Impact. Shinji gets exposition from Fuyutsuki about the nature of Evas and his mother, Yui. Also a bit about his father. Shinji has a mental breakdown. Kaworu convinces Shinji to pilot Eva-13 in an attempt to redo everything he hosed up. Kaworu also takes Shinji's collar.

ACT 3 - Near-Third Impact - The Punchline
Kaworu and Shinji board Eva-13 and they descend into Terminal Dogma. Rei Q is with them inside Eva-09. There they find Eva-06 pierced by two Lances and merged with the corpse of Lilith. Kaworu tells Shinji it's a bad idea to continue. Shinji continues anyway. They get assaulted by Asuka in Eva-02 Dash and Mari in Eva-08. They fight for a while. In the end Asuka and Mari cannot stop Eva-13 and Shinji removes the two spears. Lilith's body disintegrates, freeing Eva-06. The twelfth Angel was contained inside Eva-06. Rei Q frees the Angel and Eva-13 eats it. Fourth Impact starts. The Wunder rams Eva-13 in an attempt to stop it. Eva-09 goes into auto mode, attacks the Wunder and attempts to take control of it. Asuka engages Eva-09 by going into Beast mode. Rei Q ejects herself from Eva-09. Asuka ejects from Eva-02 Dash, detonates it and destroys Eva-09. Control is restored to Wunder. Meanwhile, Kaworu says he's been tricked by Gendo and detonates Shinji's collar in order to stop Fourth Impact. He dies. Fourth Impact doesn't stop. Mari jumps on Eva-13 to forcibly remove Shinji's plug from Eva-13. She succeeds and this stops Fourth Impact. Afterwards, the 3 original pilots (Rei, Shinji and Asuka) are reunited in the hellish landscape of Near-Third-Fourth Impact. Shinji is in mental breakdown mode.

I thought Misato triggered the collar shortly before she slammed the Wunder into them. Just plowing into them without slowing down would be the fastest way to get into range, with a side benefit of giving them an easy target to unload their guns into. Guess the movie never really makes it clear though.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I don't dislike any of those endings. :shrug:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

Nah, the best troll would be doing the above, but answering all of the questions in as deliberately an unsatisfying manner as possible.

If they start answering the big questions that result is basically inevitable, just like Lost and tons of other shows and movies and books with big long-running mysteries. You start throwing explanations around and no one leaves happy. It doesn't matter what those explanations are. They can never possibly live up to years and years of fan theorizing.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 30, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Obviously PenPen was somehow responsible for all of the surreal poo poo in the third movie. The low-hanging moon, the mouth canyon, the red eva clones, all of it. Naturally these incredible mind-blowing events will never be animated.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

If nothing else I think that they handle their budget troubles with a lot more finesse and style than most manage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I dont know what you're upset about I thought it was neat