Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I remember when this was first out in the US, and we (me and my nerd friends at school) all passed around the two-episode VHS tapes from ADV, watching the whole thing religiously. We were at the right age and frame of mind to identify with the teenage losers that composed the central cast, and so naturally spent a considerable amount of time making fun of them. Loving the show, not getting the way it ended, but not really caring, either, and when the movie came out, disregarding it after one watch because it felt like either a deliberate burn against the fans who hated the series' ending, or just a pile of self-indulgent bullshit that was weird and gross for the sake of being weird and gross.

And so, Evangelion is inextricably tied to that particular place and time for me, and a re-watch of it feels unnecessary.

I am, however, slightly curious about the rebuild. I wonder, does it stick to the same tone, with all kinds of disconnected scenes of mysterious talking heads having deliberately vague dialogue about the backstory, or does the narrative actually explain this stuff upfront?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Jesus christ. Experiencing Evangelion as a seven-year-old? :psyduck:

The fact that the dialogue was all a mystery was probably a blessing. If you were raised Christian I'm sure the frequent crucifix imagery would raise a number of questions, though.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Coming in hot here. I just watched all of Rebuild, having never seen any of it and having the last piece of Evangelion media I consumed was the movie, back in 1999, after multiple viewings of the TV series. Back then, I was approximately as old as the protagonists.

I am incredibly happy. It seemed like every character who mattered received a resolution that they were at peace with -- possibly even Anno.

There's a lot to be said and a lot of details to comment on, and I'm going to do a rewatch for sure, but there's one thing I want to say, regarding Rei-2 in the fourth movie: Hers is such a powerful segment. A transient conscience experiencing humanity for the briefest of moments before dissolving quietly, to no emotional music, to no melodrama; just ceasing to be. It seriously deserves some kind of award for the touching beauty and sincerity of it.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

On Asuka: You can interpret her in the first half of the fourth film as lowbrow fanservice, and maybe there's some intent there, sure, this is Evangelion -- but it was effective in conveying something critical: She is. loving. done. It's another facet to depression -- feeling so burnt out that all you can do is stay at home in your underpants, the only communication you're capable of is just lashing out in frustration. I felt that. It happens to people. Another reason Rei's arc worked so well is that it served as a hopeful, life-affirming counterweight to Shinji and Asuka being stuck in that hole.

Just the emotional honesty of it is a beautiful thing.

That and "I'm naked. Act flustered or something" was the only joke that could've worked in that situation, and it landed perfectly.

Oh, and on Kensuke: An adult? Being sincerely emotionally supportive yet not pushy or invasive? And actively trying to make sure they had the space they needed? In loving Evangelion?? INCREDIBLE.