Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

I've seen a rip packaged with a sub script, but nothing that's a unified product.

I'd be a bit skeptical since if 3.33 added any content (it probably added a few minor things here and there at the very least) the subs would desync pretty quickly since the existing subs were based on the cam rip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I remember reading out in the vast wilds of the internet that some Japanese anime producers don't have the original animation for some animes anymore, only copies at slightly better than DVD resolutions, so the reason most old anime like Cowboy Bebop and Eva haven't gotten the blu-ray treatment is because the originals simply don't exist anymore, so we'd only ever get DVD quality releases if they tried.

Cowboy Bebop actually did get some blu-rays out a few months back! And they look pretty nice. Pity there's no sign of a release in English.

Gainax has been releasing a lot of their older stuff on blu-ray (and goddamn, do those Gunbuster blu-rays look great) so until I hear otherwise I'm assuming they're just saving the Eva blu-rays for the 20th anniversary/something to make more money once the movies end.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I absolutely can't wait to see how SRW handles this. :allears: It's gonna be hilarious.

Hey, a timeskip means that much to the chagrin of everyone, they have an easy method for fitting Gundam AGE into this! :unsmigghh:

Though my guess is we'll have to wait for the last movie to finish before seeing a proper SRW-showing. Which is probably for the best, considering how underwhelming Rebuild was in L.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gainax has never been that good at handling money and Anno was a co-founder of Gainax so I don't think it's the former!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

On another note, has Funimation said anything about releasing another set of the series since they got the license? I just decided to look at the Platinum set on Amazon, and holy gently caress am I glad I got it when I did.

Right now they only have the license to the movies (and each movie had to be licensed individually).

I'm sure they want the TV series because a reissue would be a license to print money, but for the near future the tv series is out of print.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Always go TV series -> EoE -> Rebuilds.

If dudes can't handle the 90s animation then screw them, 90s anime owns

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

PootieTang posted:

If you're referring to the bit I think you are, then this would include possibly the greatest transition in the series.

When Shinji get's hit by the angel and BAM he immediately wakes up in a hospital bed. Probably the best on-screen representation of getting knocked the gently caress out I've seen.

Yeah, I always loved how they did that.

I understand why they changed it for 1.11, since that's the sort of pacing that works well for tv episodes but not so much with a single movie.

But it's still a shame that to see it be changed to be more straightforward.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I didn't have a problem with their attitude towards Shinji since being reminded of how badly he hosed up every single day for about 14 years straight can really have quite the effect on you. Understandable that they'd be pissed off. And considering Shinji's actions later in the film, it turns out they were right to be.

Was it the rational way to treat him? Of course not, but Eva characters have never been known for their rational decisions :v:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Just gonna repeat my point from the previous page:

Srice posted:

I didn't have a problem with their attitude towards Shinji since being reminded of how badly he hosed up every single day for about 14 years straight can really have quite the effect on you. Understandable that they'd be pissed off. And considering Shinji's actions later in the film, it turns out they were right to be.

Was it the rational way to treat him? Of course not, but Eva characters have never been known for their rational decisions :v:

Sure, Shinji is 14. But he made one hell of a mistake that's nigh-impossible to look past and he didn't even have to live with the consequences until they found him.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

I really don't know why they bothered to keep him alive, honestly.

Only reasonable explanation I can think of is that Misato didn't want to straight up kill a 14 year old boy in cold blood.

If only that collar didn't have a lovely range on it....

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Funimation has appeared on the ANNCast a few times and they've straight up said that the previous 2 Eva movies have been a gigantic hit for them.

Which makes the delays all the weirder! I know that they've mentioned that part of the licensing requirements for each movie was a theatrical run, but that has been fulfilled for months now.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The joke is that the episode preview would always promise fanservice in the next episode.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

When did "this doesn't make sense!" become nerd shorthand for not liking a thing, anyways...

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Well, it's not like this comic is making that observation for the first time either! It's certainly a common complaint about the show.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

US film and television censorship is a political game. It's not even remotely consistent from one movie or show to the next and trying to reverse engineer a set of clear rules used for it is hopeless.

Yeah, the only real consistent rule is that if you're a bigger studio you can get away with more.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

3 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slYW7kkHyI4
The UFO intro is basically a proto-EVA in terms of aesthetics, right down to flashes of white text against black intercut with quick cuts of official looking things happening.

Between that and the Big O opening that has really similar music and style to this, I feel like sometime I really gotta check it out to see why there were some Japanese animators that loved that show.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TV ending first for sure. It's an important part of the Eva experience!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Eva was still pretty popular after EoE and before the Rebuilds started, so I think it will do just fine for a long time. Not everything needs a constant stream of new material.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dotJPG posted:

Eva's reputation may be more famous than the series itself which I think is a shame because it causes many new viewers to watch it so critically they miss out on the cool stuff. I really like the art style, imagery, sound, the supernatural story and some of the themes it uses. For me it didn't have to come with some deep philosophical revelation. It's not perfect, but its still one of my favourite series. Doesn't mean I should be looked down on for it.

One thing that I feel rarely gets enough credit is all the monster of the week stuff in the first half. It's all so well done and they did a fine job at making plenty of unique fights.

Compare it to its contemporaries which would have throwaway monsters and they'd be hella formulaic about it, even down to reusing stock footage for attacks.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Also I thought the prevailing theory was that the stuff at the end of 2.22 was deliberately misleading and was stuff that supposedly happened during the time skip?

I vaguely recall a few hints about that stuff happening yah.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I enjoyed 3.0 so much that I rewatched it again the very next day back when it came out.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

It's probably even more dumb if he was trying to trick someone into watching them like that.

I've finally found it, the sort of anime trickery dumber than the way people used to sell Madoka.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Please go be nuts somewhere else.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I swear the groups putting out releases right now are competing to see who can have the biggest filesize per episode.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

maybeflan posted:

I don't know about the other group, but RX782, aka 2D4U, cares about "grain" among other encoding jargon.
So that means big filesize and pissing off people who just want the rips. Them's the breaks.

I just wish they could also put out a 720p version with reasonable filesizes, but alas nobody is doing that right now.

If it doesn't happen soon I might have to take matters into my own hands.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Although I'm curious about something. Has anyone here seen Space Runaway Ideon? I've heard multiple people say it was Eva before Eva was Eva. I just a read a post that said this a minute ago elsewhere but I've heard it semi-frequently over the years.

There are a few common threads to be found (mainly at the very end) but not enough that I would tell people to watch Ideon if they liked Eva.

Especially since Ideon's cast doesn't really stand out much. If Cosmo didn't have that afro he'd be indistinguishable from most 80s mecha protagonists!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ross Angeles posted:

I have still never seen EoE

What the heck

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ross Angeles posted:

I can't find it anywhere

It's hella out of print for the time being so there's no shame in piracy until whenever they finally negotiate new rights for it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jostiband posted:

afaik srice is down in the post mines slaving away on the OP right now, so I guess Soon(tm)?

Chatted a little with Seafood about it and with the holidays coming up he asked that I wait until a bit after Christmas. Tentatively I'm planning to start the Monday after Christmas with the thread going up on that weekend.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

lmao

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The best thing in the world about Eva 3.0 is when people rant about how Shinji "finally grew some balls."

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In Training posted:

Oh and there is one part where Shinji is having a breakdown in the room full of pipes, and in a series full of spectacularly realized mental breakdowns, it seems pretty uninspired. An off kilter camera and some of the overlaid images effect (don't know if there's a better term for this) of shinji's wide eyes. They've done more subtle and better scenes dealing with similar moments previously and it sticks out to me.

I vividly remember this shot because it looked so cheap, so budget, just so out of place in an otherwise good-looking film

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zas posted:

imo 'unsympathetic characters' is one of the worst criticisms you can make about anything, but especially so with eva.

Most of the cast are interesting people who I would not want to actually hang out with so heck I agree

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Shinji's arc in 2.22 ends with him learning to ignore the well being of others and act selfishly to get what he wants. This same selfishness is what motivates him through the entirety of 3.33.

One of many things I really like about the Rebuilds is showing that Shinji truly has a lot in common with his father, even moreso than the series.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

When 3.33 was available I watched it that night and then watched it again as soon as I woke up the very next morning.

It's the only movie I've watched as an adult multiple times within 24 hours

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Midjack posted:

Not sure what Funimation is waiting for.

I'm positive the holdup is on the Japanese side of the deals, Funi knows it would be easy money.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In Training posted:

People living for decades of misinformation or second guessing or flat out not knowing Shinji's motivations, and having to deal with the consequences of his actions while he disappears into the ether is bound to make them irrationally despise the kid. It makes complete sense

Literally every single day for all those years the crew could simply look outside and be reminded of what happened, it would always be a constant reminder. It would be p weird if everyone acted rationally towards Shinji once they found him.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In Training posted:

It's a nice touch that the only one who shows a little empathy is Touji's sister, who's ostensibly spent her entire life like this, so she has no real concept of a "before". She doesn't seem to harbor too much ill-will as a result.

I forgot all about that. That's pretty neat.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In Training posted:

The only part I don't like about 3.33 is that I wish there was just a teensy bit more screen time for the NERV desk mechanics. I don't remember their names, but the woman and the guy with the long hair, and glasses guy, who all got replaced by the goofy looking new inept pilots. The woman shows up for 2 seconds scowling below decks, but I wonder what she's been through.

I remember some of the new characters were supposed to be young enough that they would have been babies or maybe not even born when all that poo poo when down? Feels like a missed opportunity that they didn't get to do anything, would have been a neat perspective, seeing characters that never knew a life outside that barren hellscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jostiband posted:

What about the ones that are way better than the cult classics they are based on?

Heck Fury Road was mentioned here earlier