Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
then watch Love & Pop and Ritual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Please tell me you EVA fans have at least watched Ritual.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Why is RahXephon reccomended after Evangelion instead of Anno's two follow up live films, Love & Pop and Ritual*? Love and Pop is interesting just to see how an director used to animation and with such a distinct style tackles a live action film. Ritual is just a straight up beautiful film, even with Steven Seagal's daughter as the lead (trust me she's amazing).

* I'm purposely ignoring Cutie honey of course.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
They were in the manga too.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
DENTAL PLAN

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Sure watch RahXephon, but there's also a couple of films called Love & Pop and Ritual actually created by the guy that made the show we're all talking about.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Sakurazuka posted:

Those references come from a game that is dubious canon at best though, if something was left vague in the series it's because it was supposed to be like that, not because you hadn't played an N64 game that Anno probably had nothing to do with.

Wasn't it a PSP pinball game or something?

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Wasn't Unit 00 under some kind of proto dummy plug control?

e:

Starsnostars posted:

What about all those white EVAs with creepy smiles that Asuka fought in End of Evangelion? Did those even have pilots?

They were definitely dummy plug controlled. Kaworu in this case.

sharktamer fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 12, 2015

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Hideaki Anno, creator of Neon Genesis Evangelion, wrote the picture and is its “chief director.” If you’ve seen his other live-action film, the terrific Love & Pop, you’ll know that he can set up some truly interesting shots.

gently caress me how does no one know about Ritual/Shiki-jitsu? Love & Pop is Anno getting used to live action and the result is loads of interesting goofy shots and camera angles. But Shiki-jitsu is him actually coming back to earth and creating a (in my opinion anyway) stunningly beautiful film with what he figured out I guess. It's shocking that so many Evangelion fans haven't seen it.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Well that's fine as long as you acknowledge its existence at least.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Yeah...I watched it to see if Anno had injected some Anno-ness into what looked like a bland fan service heavy action film, but it just turned out to be exactly that unfortunately.

The most amazing thing about Ritual is the amazing female lead is Steven Seagal's daughter :wtc:.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
If that machine from eternal sunshine actually existed, I bet more people would use it to relive film/game/book moments than to forget regrettable relationships or whatever.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Wait, did some of you really wait 3 years to watch this film?

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Shiki-jitsu is an amazing beautiful film.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Shiki-jitsu really does the empty city thing just as well, especially the locale where the main female character lives. It ends up feeling like this vast empty city where only one person lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
If you're a fan of Anno and you haven't seen all his films, maybe you should? Ritual is a beautiful film.