Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MechaX posted:

On the subject of Rei, what kinds of books was she reading anyway in the series or rebuild movies?

I hope Gendo didn’t raise this poor girl on nothing but NERV training manuals

Shinji mentions she reads a lot in English. In the show she's reading Simplicius Simplicissimus at one point, which is a German novel from the 1600s, she's seen with a lot of books on science and genetics, and in the Rebuild she's reading The Happy Prince and Other Stories at one point.

Basically, she seems to be a voracious reader in general.

Never expected to be team Rei before seeing the show, but the more I see of her, the more I like her.

Also, hard to know what's true at the moment, but the rumor I'm seeing is that the film has different ships for the ending in different theaters which, if true...

Anno, you magnificent bastard. I never should have doubted you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

There's no way. I want to believe — and I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong! — but there's no way.

I mean, I have doubts too, but there's precedent. Clue had multiple endings in 1985, and Wolverine: Origins had multiple post-credits scenes depending on theater.

I'm not betting on it, but it does seem the kind of fuckery Anno would get up to, and it does clarify some oddities in Japanese posts on the topic, if they're not just trolling.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Right now I'm banking on the theory being more a result of trolling from the chans and such being mixed in with whatever legitimate leaks are out there, but if there really is some whacky madness going on then that's cool too.

On the one hand, I know that's the smart play. It's 90 percent likely to be bullshit.

On the other, it'd be hilarious if it was true.

(Also, I'm seeing people mixing Fire Punch memes into their fake spoilers at this point. Chaos reigns. It's going to be a bit before the ground is solid again.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Pen-Pen piloting a Penguingelion as the final boss was not where I expected this to go, but its a welcome surprise.

I'm just surprised at how many scenes there were of Rei looking directly at the screen and talking about how only people who watched Shin Godzilla were worthy of being considered human beings. The first three were pretty well integrated into the plot, but the fifth one felt a little bit excessive.

On the other hand, Mari and Shinji bonding over their discussion of how not liking both Diebuster and Gunbuster is for stupid idiots was a moving emotional climax to their romantic arc.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

But that's not Mari.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

It's a wig he has her wear

I'd doubt you, but let's be honest. Mari would be into it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Mari would definitely be into metaphorically making GBS threads on Asuka by helping Shinji work out his hatefuck fantasies about her.

I mean, on one hand, she and Asuka were clearly friends in 3.0, and she was going out of her way to help Asuka work out her Shinji related issues.

On the other, it's the kind of friendship primarily expressed through nonstop making GBS threads on each other, and if Asuka's not going to go for it...

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

It would not be Eva if there wasn't a weird fly in the ointment somewhere that keeps people from being completely happy with it, but hey at least it actually ends on an unambiguous happy note this time, so gently caress it, well done Anno :toot: now you can rest.

I mean "rest" is an odd choice of words when he's got another movie he wrote the screenplay for coming out this year, but yeah.

This really sounds like a happy ending for the main cast after all these years. Maybe even for Gendo, if some of these summaries are true.

Also, Shinji hooking up with an older woman just proves again that he's more like Amuro Ray than Kira Yamato ever was.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mulva posted:

"Man, Gendo is such a profoundly dysfunctional rear end in a top hat, you'd have to work really hard to explain how anyone could ever get that stupid and broken."

"Gendo was exactly like Shinji when he was younger, and he never really grew up."

".....oh, yeah, right. That makes perfect sense. Carry on."

That's one of the least surprising reveals ever, honestly.

Speaking of never growing up, I was thinking about Mari, and the whole "Yep. Yui's old college friend Mari is the same as Eva pilot Mari thing, and realized that it actually makes her behavior in 2 more understandable in some ways, not less.

Eva pilots get away with a lot, but we see Shinji and Asuka are still limited in what they can do. Meanwhile, Mari independently decided to para-drop into Tokyo, wrecks an Eva without consequences, and tells the people complaining to just make sure they pick her up when she needs extraction, like she's the one in charge. At the time, it seemed like that was just more establishing her as being strange, (well, that and her being primarily Kazuya Tsurumaki's responsibility, considering what Topless got away with in Diebuster) but with full context?

She's one of the founders, basically, up there with Gendo and Fuyutsuki, and thus can pull the seniority card when questioned.

It also explains the "Mari Iscariot" line from Fuyutsuki. Mari's the only one of the original crew to defect to WILLE, and thus, the traitor of traitors. Add in the show's tendency to make Judeo-Christian references to sound cool, and it makes sense as an insult.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zore posted:

Doesn't all this mean that Mari is a good 40 years older than Shinji by the end of 3.0+1.0 accounting for the fact he skipped out on 19 years or so between 2.0 and 3.0..

Sorta, but her body hasn't aged and Shinji regained his memories of the massive number of time loops where Kowaru tried to make him happy, so they're both in a really weird place vis a vis mental age.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

it's ok because Shinji is actually a thousand year old dragon

I'd say that applies more to Mari and Asuka for the bulk of the film.

At any rate, the part of the film where Shinji and Mari are heavily implied to be in a relationship has them both be adults, so that's basically all water under the bridge. It just means the "how did you meet" story for their kids is going to be insane.

"Well, I met your mom when she rammed into me when parachuting into the country on a covert mission. Then she said I smelled good and ran off."

"Your grandma and grandpa brought their newborn baby son to show off at the shadowy conspiracy front we all worked at, and I thought he was the cutest thing."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

if you can get the platinum edition subs that's ideal but the Netflix translation is just kind of stilted, it's not unwatchable or anything

It is missing the use of "Fly Me to the Moon", though, so that's a disappointment.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

doomisland posted:

thats real hosed up

Yeah. I made sure to cue it up for the credits every episode. Pretty easy to find it, but it's irritating I had to.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Scyantific posted:

Wow uh, long-hair Rei looks pretty good.

Re: Clone Asuka. I'm assuming Rei was the first iteration in cloning, Asuka was an improvement in terms of sustainability, and Mari was just the perfected/pinnacle result.

As far as I can tell, Mari's not a clone at all. She's just one of Gendo and Yui's peers who got the curse of the Eva back in the 90s.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

hatty posted:

Isn’t it cheaper to just fly to Japan?

Much. Even including a hotel room, food, and theater tickets.

That said, having the camrips means being able to have individual moments of the film available for reference, which is handy in apocalyptic shipping wars, and it means controlling the flow of data in the wider internet. (Basically, it means having gifs if you won, or making sure that nobody else has those gifs for a while if you lost).

It's dumb, but I can see the reasoning. Especially if you've got a lot of bitcoin and poor financial sense.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I watched tv series, eoe, and straight into rebuild 1 & 2 a few years ago after having not seen the originals since being a teenager (which was well after they came out) and ... the rebuilds are good, but I really feel like the viewer’s experience of the original story does a lot to give significance to the events in rebuild. Otherwise I could definitely see it feeling kind of busy and overwrought, especially 2 & 3.

That’s also why I like the idea of time loop or sequel. It’s kind of incomplete without the originals. Sure it could end with no callbacks or hints to an actual connection to the og series and still be, like, a spiritual successor informed by the original work, but even with as much of an auteur as Anno is, I still think that’d be a little pretentious.

From what I've seen the film does confirm that Shinji in some way experienced the series and EoE before the films, even if he didn't remember them until late into this one. It's a sequel, but exactly how that works may be open to interpretation.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

You know, I gotta say. I did not see Anno taking that direction.

Then again, you don't hire Kazuya Tsurumaki when you want something predictable.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I can only speak for myself, but in a vacuum around 2000-2001 with no significant way to discuss it indepth online or with anyone IRL who would have given a poo poo, Asuka was (and still is) my favorite character because even back then I found the swerve with her later characterization to be so compelling. I'd gather that most young/initial fans would latch on to Misato of the cast the most and it's really just a matter of whether the back episodes do enough to sway that evaluation between the two characters, which in my case it did. If anything I feel most adverse reactions I've seen from people are those who are watching the show for the first time as adults and have way less patience for her initial brash, confrontational, haughty introductory arc, which as a teen didn't really bother me that much for whatever variety of reasons.

Well, one thing I do know is that back in the day (and constantly since then, with only one poll deviating from the baseline) Rei was the most popular character. Misato hardly registers in comparison. (Rei's one of the most beloved anime characters in general, to the point that most harem anime include a character referencing her as a matter of course.)

Rei's got a nice mix of being accommodating enough that the viewer can project to Shinji's relationship with her while having enough hard edges ("I am not a doll.") that she doesn't feel like she's there for the viewer. Like most of the cast, Rei feels like a person, but her issues feel less miserable to be around. If she doesn't like you, she'll just ignore you and keep reading her book.

(Not to say Asuka was left without a legacy. The modern tsundere can be pretty clearly traced back to her.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

I understand why Eva is good but what was it that just stuck so hard with Japan?

Well, being good helped. It aired during prime time, so it had a large potential audience, it has compelling characters with distinctive designs, so there was an easy hook, and the merch game was on point, which combined with the controversy around the endings to lock it into the public consciousness.

I also suspect (as a foreigner with limited information) that the state of mech anime when it arrived played a part. Gundam had drifted back towards Super Robot archetypes with G, Wing, and X all playing more like the old shows than like the war stories that sprung up in Gundam's original wake. It made Eva's spin on Supers stand out more.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

Definitely could be wrong, but I had heard that show was like, super-poo poo. Opinions?

Ultimately, yeah. But it hurt more because it had some really striking episodes. Creative direction, well done individual character moments, all that. It definitely had a talented team.

It's just it all kept letting me down, letting me down, letting me down.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Kaworu lies to Shinji throughout 3.0, it owns. Kaworu went down there to start Third Impact but needing Shinji to believe it could fix things so he's GET IN THE ROBOT. He constantly puts all the blame on NERV but never mentions SEELE, who he actually works for and whose agenda he's actually advancing. Then he gets done by the old switcheroo, again! In 2.0, Gendo awoke Unit 01 in order to have something to oppose SEELE's Mark 6, their 'True Evangelion' - but SEELE was prepared for that with the spear.

I saw 3 recently, and, especially given spoilers for Shin, I'm pretty sure that's not on the money.

In 3, Kaworu's all in for fixing everything, then he notices that it's the wrong spear and tries to get Shinji to stop, eventually letting his head a-splode to prevent another impact.

Kaworu's dialogue in 2 is promising that, this time, he'll make Shinji happy, and looking at his actions in 3, he's pretty much going all in on whatever Shinji's going for until he realizes that it's a setup.

In other words, he's one of the only characters in the film who's on the level. It's just that he was being played as much as everyone else.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shadow Pussy Wanter posted:

Can someone who's seen the newest movie confirm that Asuka is on the train that leads to our real life world, and that she's alone (no kensuke or other love interest)?

A woman who looks like her is shown in the final scene, but there's no zoom in to confirm, unlike with Rei and Kaworu. Further, the train isn't to the real world, since Shinji and Mari never get on it, instead leaving the station up the stairs.

Asuka is alone, though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dylazodelan posted:

Regarding Anno's reasons for the foregoing of creating a new series or movie in order to create the Rebuilds, there are a couple interviews out there that have been translated from Japanese in which Anno states that he wanted to work on new projects but he simply couldn't raise the money on his own (this was past the point where his relationship with Gainax had soured). It seemed like the only way for him to get any sort of project off the ground was to re-do Eva. Now that Eva's well and truly done Anno will hopefully have the financial freedom to get something totally new off the ground if he wishes to.

Well, the first three movies gave Khara enough freedom for Dragon Dentist and the Animator Expo, so there's some grounding for hope. Khara's also coproducing Shin Ultraman, so Anno's going to have at least one non-Eva project with them before the year's out.

I'm definitely interested where this all goes from here. You've got a studio with a bunch of talented directors (including Anno, obviously) on the one end, freed from the project that's been their focus for more than a decade, and that's probably the most interesting part, but you also have Evangelion cut loose.

I say more than I know here, I admit it in advance, but even considered as derivative works, Evangelion manga and games have always felt bound by the shadow of the End of Evangelion. That there's a Bad Ending (or at least, a grim and ambiguous one) that's the proper fate of these beloved characters, and even avoiding it in a story still leaves it as the baseline everything else is reacting to. It's an unsettling effect, in a way.

Now there's a different ending, and Anno's stepped away from Eva on good terms, it kind of leaves the next big project (should there be one) a lot more freedom to determine what Eva's going to be from now on. And I'm interested to see what would happen there.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dishwasherlove posted:

Pretty incredible someone has the .srt sorted out before the camrip has even leaked.

It makes sense, given that the script leaked an hour before the movie came out thanks to a google glass app. Means most of the work can be done in advance without having to run the risk of going to the movie and having a camera out.

Paper Lion posted:

ideon is from 1980

Yes, it is.

However, while Ideon is an influence on Evangelion, and their finales are similarly trippy, it's primarily a standard monster-of-the-week show with a movie that gets existential. Meanwhile, Evangelion puts an emphasis on the inner lives of the characters over the external enemies from the beginning. Skipping over the fight and only flashing back to it later (a trick later borrowed by Iron Blooded Orphans in the Mobile Armor arc) meant that the focus was on Shinji and Rei's reactions over the actual combat from the start.

Basically, Ideon may have been an inspiration for Eva, but it's Eva that turned that inspiration into the introspection that came to define a whole subgenre.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

Man I can't wait to see how SRW tries spinning all this poo poo.

Hell, have the finale of shin Evangelion being the stage 0 the game, and then we play on this new world.

That seems like a terrible idea in more ways than I care to count. On the other hand, it would be hilarious to have Evangelion on the box, and then have its role past the prologue amount to Shinji being a salaryman who has occasional cameos when his company is selling your troops box lunches or something.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Siliziumleben posted:

wouldn't you miss out on a lot of visual clues that would help in translating the audio though

Again, it was an app leaking, so all the subs were set up in the right spot from the jump. It was very convenient.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

The Normal High School parts of it aren't a full season on their own, that's why I hate it :mad:

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Fumoffu

You can even have the tsundere get together with the military otaku!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zartosht posted:

Man you weren't kidding, I can't believe PenPen had kids!!!

I mean, when you saw Evangelion, and saw PenPen, you had to know this guy fucks. You look at the rest of the cast, and then look at him, you know he's the guy doing all the loving.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dishwasherlove posted:

Pretty wild that a cam rip is yet to surface.

They're taking it seriously and it's only playing in Japan where the laws are harsher. Camrips tend to surface more easily once international showings start.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I know camrips suck for the makers but I do like to add it to my headcanon that Khara is so obsessed with controlling how Eva is seen that they control the government to maintain total control of the film.

Everything is according to the scenario.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fun trivia: When the series started, Shinji, Rei, and Asuka hadn't been born.

Rei is now old enough to drink.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

I think if you gave her the choice between being labelled a millenial or....well, Antarctica happening, she'd prefer to complain about boomers every time.

Of course, the only boomer in the cast is Fuyutsuki.

Gendo, Yui, Naoko, and Mari are all from Generation X.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

yes but have you considered that the rebuilds are actually _less_ interesting because they cut out the filler and meaningless bits :colbert:

The problem with that is that it's an angle that makes it actually impossible for remakes to be as good as the originals.

The original Evangelion was the product of specific, disastrous circumstances, and trying to replicate the effect without the cause just makes a hollow mimic, losing the spark that made the original flaws work to the benefit of the whole and leaving the awkward end of things.

It was the right move for 1.0 to be "Evangelion as it's remembered" rather than trying to replicate all the messy details, even ignoring the runtime question.

(Of course, most of us haven't been able to see Shin yet, and discussing the Rebuilds with only 3/4 of them watched makes the commentary feel incomplete. What I've seen says that Shin is where the rebuilds cement themselves as a new thing building on the old rather than just an attempt at a replication, which is an important part of the whole question.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

I think my biggest confusion is how somehow Rei got popular? She's a blank slate, a doll and while important has no real agency. Why did people latch on to her so badly.

Didn't you hear her?

She is not a doll.

I actually had the opposite response to Rei. Came in assuming I'd roll my eyes at this nothing character, but she was really interesting to watch.

The surface level thing is that she's, well, off. She's poorly socialized and has some weird stuff going on with her soul, so her interactions with people show a lack of connection with regular society that goes against the flow and makes her stand out.

But she also has a lot of interiority. Rei spends a lot of time trying to figure out what the hell Rei's deal is, which contrasts with Asuka running full tilt away from thinking about why she's a pile of issues in favor of drowning them in giant (not a) robot violence and quantifiable accomplishments.

Rei isn't an empty puppet. She's a person who's messed up due to a miserable, weird life, and (interesting bit!) she's a person who's consciously evaluated her own life and decided that selling it for the people she cares about was a good value. (Her conversation with Asuka is interesting here, because she objects to the suggestion that she's not a person... and follows up by saying that of course she'd die if Gendo ordered it.

Asuka takes it as a sign of emptiness, but for Rei, it's the opposite. As a human being, she's decided that her loyalty and affection for Ikari makes the best decision the one that helps him. Even if it means her death.)

Which leads, naturally enough, to the fact that she does have agency, in the end. (Arguably, more than any of the other characters.) Agency that derails everyone's plans. In the end, she sides with Shinji over Gendo, chooses the boy who was kind to her over the man who took her cooperation for granted, and thus, tang.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

Already gone, what was it?

A news article about a study suggesting that liquid breathing could be done through the butt.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

John DiFool posted:

Where da gently caress can I watch 4.0

Japan. In a theater.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

I thought Daft Punk broke up?

Just part of a long term sting operation.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

So uh call me crazy but, maybe they should capitalize on this hype by making the other three films available for streaming

I thought that was what they were doing. People have seen listings for the whole set.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

Oh ok then, that would be the obvious thing to do.

I mean, to be fair, not doing the obvious thing is kind of on-brand for Anno.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Borrowed Ladder posted:

So I just finished watching the series and End of Evangelion for the first time a couple weeks ago. Had a great time, loved the show, but still not entirely sure what the deal is with all these movies. Are all these upcoming releases essentially the same movie with additional scenes, or are these actual sequels?

It's complicated.

The first movie is basically a remake of the first episodes of the show, with hints that there's something else going on. The second film starts to go in its own direction from there, with the third film being an original plot and the fourth film concluding the new plotlines that were set up.

Fourth film also sort of implies it's all a sequel to the originals. Kinda. It's complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

Have you seen the fandom?!

Not like getting in the robot worked out perfectly for Shinji.