Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

JazzFlight posted:

I think a kind of annnoying thing about 3.33 is that ultimately nothing really happened. They were spinning their wheels waiting for the finale which is still a long time off. The only advancement to the plot was:

-jump ahead 14 years to see a post-apocalyptic hellscape
-seele gets shut down
-kaworu dies
-fourth impact almost happens, but then it doesn't

Then at the end the characters are practically in the same situation as the beginning of the movie after Shinji gets busted out of stasis.

I like the movie, don't get me wrong. It just allllllllllmost felt like filler with nice visuals and amazing music.

Well, 3.33 isn't out here for another month so I can't check this but (MILD FINAL SCENE SPOILER):

Aren't Asuka, Shinji and Rei3 completely cut off from everyone at the end of the movie? I'm fairly sure they are stranded due to radio interference or something. Could be interesting to see how the next movie handles that

At any rate, I'm glad the US blu rays are finally out. With any luck, the UK shouldn't have any more delays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
While we're on the subject of Asukas injuries in EoE, I'm reminded of something that always bothered me when i was younger. The entry plug is full of LCL right? If that is the case...

E-flat posted:

Like.... what is that, if not copious amounts of blood falling from her general eye region

How is the blood even able to flow like that? Wouldn't it just awkwardly float around the entry plug?

Of course the real reason that happens is because it's visceral and makes the audience react. As has been mentioned several times, it can be interpreted as more symbolic than literal.

Come to think of it, I vaguely recall one of the MP Evas having huge, wiggling maggots coming out of its partially severed arm/chest at one point. Makes no sense, especially once you realize those magots must each be the size of a large truck but a cool image.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

She's shown walking around the wunder talking with asuka right?

If I remember right Asuka's walking/running to Unit 2 and Mari is on the comm teasing her. I don't think we see her out of her Eva.

drat, now I need to rewatch the film to check.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Raxivace posted:

I remember Shinji straight up calls Ritsuko's story about Gendo saving Rei from Unit 00 "bullshit" in the dub.

That's only in the platinum release which redubbed a few random lines for... some reason :shrug:.

The original dub just has him go "my father... did that?"

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
One of my favourite little scenes is in episode 17 when Fuyutski and Gendo are on the train. It starts as just a nice little bonding moment but quickly segues into discussing Eva 04's destruction. To paraphrase:

Fuyu: ...This was a major catastrophy
Gendo:It's of no consequence. The S2 Engine data is still in Matsushiro
Fuyu: But the Committee is in a total panic!
Gendo: Of course they're panicking. It wasn't scheduled
Fuyu: laughs.
Gendo: scenarios not depicted in the dead sea scrolls can occur. This should teach the old men a lesson

So much happening here:

-Fuyutski is horrified at the loss of life, Gendo dismisses it as irrelevant
-Gendo actually cracks a joke, the only time he ever does so, showing how close he is to Fuyutski is compared to everyone else.
-Both acknowledge that the only reason SEELE cares is that they didn't plan for it.

I also used to think that Gendo's comment that Unit 4s destruction will teach SEELE a lesson is a hint that Gendo sabotaged unit 4 but on reflection thats a bit of a stretch. Still shows that Gendo holds disdain for SEELE.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ak Gara posted:

Well if he succeeds, he's not wrong. :shobon: (even the dead are part of the tang)

I don't think instrumentality would apply to them since they were plunged into another dimension/vanished without a trace. Regardless, Even if Gendo knew that instrumentality applies to the dead the audience doesn't and the contrast against Fuyutski is still effective.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

SEELE is great and the intrigue between them and Gendo is a core part of the latter's character.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Did you skip all the scenes where Gendo and SEELE are tug-of-warring over the future of humanity? The fact that Gendo has superiors and is maneuvering under them, maintaining deniability while spitting in their faces, is a key aspect of how and why Evangelion plays out how it does. As Tuxedo says, when you remove Gendo's superiors, he becomes a very different, darker character.

One of my favourite things on rewatching is how clear it is that SEELE don't trust Gendo but they both put up with each other out of necessity. Each one prompts a reaction from the other that speeds things up and ruins everything. An incomplete list:

-Gendo has Adam delivered to NERV. Shortly after SEELE sabotages NERV HQ to prep for a future invasion.
-SEELE works on building an S2 engine to allow for them to perform instrumentality without Adam and Lilith. Then Unit 4 is lost (possibly sabotaged). Considering his comments about how the loss would teach SEELE a lesson I like to think Gendo arranged it.
-Unit 1 devours an angel, prompting SEELE to kidnap Fuyutski to try and figure out what Gendo is up to.
-SEELE starts panicking and rushes construction on the EVA series. Gendo responds by disposing of the Lance of Longinus.
- In desperation SEELE send Kaworu into NERV.

Ultimately SEELE and Gendo fail because in trying to manipulate the big picture they stop considering other people who go on to disrupt their plans (Yui, Rei, Kaworu etc)

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Shame that Netflix screwed this one up. Maybe they'll clean up the script once it goes to blu ray? Would hate to have it finally come on blu ray only to lack the old dub and have the subs remove any reference to Kaworus love.

Someone mentioned Funimation having to completely rewrite the dub script for EVA 3.0. Does anyone know what the old script was like? Been a while since I rewatched the dub but I vaguely recall the script being a bit stiff in places.

Unlucky7 posted:

Well, I am starting to see takes like these, so...

https://twitter.com/brOrayn/status/1142182399285112833

The hell is this? Wow.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I finally got around to seeing the 3.0+1.0 preview. Gotta admit I'm excited to see where this goes.

Ibuki basically being in charge of the whole operation was nice to see. For all Ritsuko is still around Ibuki seemed to be calling the shots.

Going back to what was said a few pages back, what's this about there being a third impact that happens during the time skip? I thought the whole point is that Shinji's near third impact is what caused the world to be hosed up at the start of 3.0. Hence why everyone hates him.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Yinlock posted:

kaji clearly thinks it never ended, but misato's reaction indicates it very much did
For all the fandom sees Kaji as the most normal/least psychologically damaged adult I always got the impression his womanising was a response to Misato dumped him under the (false) pretext that she had met someone else. When he first flirts with Ritsuko it's specifically to get a reaction from Misato. Similarly he only hangs out with Ritsuko whenever Misato is near (her promotion party, at their mutual friends wedding reception etc).

He flirting with Ibuki is really bad. However, he only does it once and only it where Misato can see him and stops when she steps in.

Whenever Misato is not around he acts normal

Pretty much all the adult characters have some sort of trauma or emotional arrested development (e.g Ritsukos mother issues, Misatos relationship with her father etc). Kaji acts like a teen who can't get over his ex and responds by trying to make her jealous at every opportunity.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I thought maybe they used his sister? The beginning of the episode has him going to visit her while she recovers from her Angel-attack related injuries, and I don't remember if they ever mention her again.

Wild guess there, though.

I never got the impression they used her. Sure she isn't mentioned again but neither is Touji after episode 19.

You just reminded me of something. The Ps2/psp Evangelion game is a life sim where you control a character from the series up until third Impact. Naturally there is a storyline where you play as Touji. How it works is after the first angel attack Touji can approach Misato and be recruited to NERV (EVA 03 doesn't go berserk). Some things to note about the scenario:

1- Outside a few specific events, angels appear in a random order.
2- If Leliel (Shadow Angel) appears, the pilot you're controlling is the one who gets swallowed (or shinji if you're not playing as a pilot). If touji is swallowed, he ends up comforted by the soul of his mother (we don't see her but the text box identifies her as Touji's mother) before escaping the same way unit 1 did in the series
3- One of the possible events is Touji running off with his sister, carrying her on his back as they ride a bike. At this point, Zeruel appears and things go to poo poo. While Touji initially focuses on getting his sister to safety, Touji's sister convinces him to go back to NERV and fight.

While the game is not exactly good it's fascinating. It was my first PSP game and I must have put several hundred hours into it. Just wish it was easier to play.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAGO4mLigk0

I watched it and I regret nothing

It was......fine

Getting a lot of Tenchi Muyo GXP vibes from that op. Considering that show had the harem protagonist marry all the love interests at the end I'm guessing this show handles romance in the same way.

Edit: just rewatched the GXP OP and those shows definitely shared a character designer.

https://youtu.be/u6yf8FNdB-s

Nyeehg fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 16, 2021

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
God drat I need the new soundtrack. I've enjoyed each rebuild soundtrack more than the previous one.

On the subject of soundtracks, is there any point in getting the 25th anniversary soundtrack if I already own the S2 works box set released after the End or Evangelion? I'm guessing it contains 99% the same stuff but figured I'd ask here.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Archer666 posted:

If its anything like the previous soundtrack releases, its just a repackage of the same stuff with maybe 1 or 2 new/rerecorded tracks and some new art work.

Personally I'm waiting for them to reissue a new vinyl collection, to pair with my growing Evangelion laserdisc collection..

I figured that was the case. Managed to dig up a track list and from what I can tell the only thing on here missing from the S2 works is the piano version of Jesus bleibet meine freude used in the End of Evangelion. Yeah, not worth shelling out £80.

Incidentally the S2 works contain at least 2 strings arrangements of Jesus beibet meine freude that aren't used in the film or TV series and at least 5 alternate arrangements of Pachelbel's Canon (couldn't tell you why).

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Well my copy of the soundtrack for 3.0+1.0 is on its way. With any luck it'll keep me going until the blu Ray comes out. I know that a western release is far off but who knows? Maybe the Asian blu Ray will have English subtitles again :v:.

Shifting gears, has anyone checked out the Shiro Sagisu Outtakes From Evangelion? I just discovered it's a thing and am curious to know if it's any good or just another in a sea of cash grabs. Haven't had time to check the full album but from what I can tell its alternate takes on some of the rebuild songs.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

Chaotic "Everything you've ever dreamed"

Did that song ever get used for anything? It's a great song and I'm baffled that it seems to only exist on the soundtrack CDs and not in any of the spin offs, games etc

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
God drat I loved that movie. Definitely one to rewatch as there's no way I caught everything in one watch but as others have said it's a very cathartic movie.

Do I still have questions about the lore and such? Obviously yes. Do I think it would have been as effective if I didn't have decades of rewatching the original TV series/movies? Probably not.

Also I love the soundtrack. All of it is really good at setting the proper tone/complementing the scene. Love the track that plays when Eva imaginary/live action Lilith begins emerging. The only issue with it is that it doesn't have a Komm Susser Todd equivalent. That's a big ask though. Can't think of any other anime that has such an iconic song that perfectly pares with a scene it's used in while also standing up to stand alone listening outside the context of the show/movie.

Now that it's all out outside Japan, does anyone know what the hell was up with the English dubs after 2.22? My understanding is that 3.33 got delayed because Khara essentially forced a more literal script translation after seeing Funimations original dub at a convention. Not sure if this is true though.

Speaking of Khara, I was worried that they would mandate the Amazon dubs to have a script as rough or rougher than the 3.33 dub or (God forbid) the Netflix TV dub. Nothing that bad, though they did remove my favourite adaptation choice Funimation made from 1.11 (changing Ritsukos exposition dump on Operation Yashima into her listing the many reasons why Misatos plan is crazy)

Related note, anyone know why Funimation didn't work on 3.0 + 1.0?

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
After taking a day to sit on it I'm still really satisfied with this film. Some miscellaneous thoughts (light spoilers but tagging just to be safe):

-The scene where Asuka force feeds Shinji is still hard to watch. Seeing her berate him for his actions, all the while it being clear that she's projecting her own self loathing onto him. Tiffany Grant did a really good job.
-Similarly, the scene where Rei Q first collapses really hit me. Having seen people just collapse like that, I was struck by how realistically sudden it was. Also the scenes with Rei Q were great and the implication that Gendou intentionally arranged it so that she couldn't survive outside Nerv was a big twist of the knife.
-When Unit 2 prevents Asuka from stabbing Unit 13, is it possible it was trying to protect Asuka? I know Asuka assumes it's because Unit 2 is afraid but Unit 13 only makes its move once the AT field is down.
-Do we know if Mari is a clone or is she definitely the original?
-What the gently caress is that weird doll/potato sack thing Rei is holding during her conversation with Shinji

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

JazzFlight posted:

The doll had Toji’s baby’s name on it, so I think it was implying she has all Reis’ memories, like Rei Q’s experiences weren’t lost.

I didn't notice Tsubame was written on the doll. That makes a lot more sense.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

If I can put on my WELL ASHKULLALY glasses for a minute and miss the point intentionally, Evangelion Anima had an explanation for Rei memories but also its not a good one and I still don't recommend reading Anima.

That said, it's funny that one thing that killed Anima for me and made me stop reading actually ended up in 3.0+1.0: The idea Toji still had the Angel in him and they used tech to suppress it. Of course, I think my anguish came from the overly cheery, slice of life tone of that plot point in Anima versuses how its done in 3.0+1.0, which treated the idea with the level of "oh this is hosed" that it warranted.

I think I'm gonna have to read Anima just on the basis that it looks like it's full of bullshit. From what I've heard at least it won't be boring :v:

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

There are 4 (3?) Reis in Anima. One goes to school and lives an ordinary life as an Eva pilot and three sit in geosynchronous orbit with orbital canons to destroy anyone who would attack Nerv. IIRC, this is mainly to stop SEELE from using the UN to attack Nerv again. The Reis share a soul (?) and Rei can move her soul through her clones to operate all of them.

Wait what? I have so many questions. Where did the 3 new Reis come from? Fairly sure Ritsuko killed all the other Reis when she destroyed the dummy plug system. How can Rei transfer her soul across space? How is SEELE still around?

(One Google search later...)

Why is there a giant lady Eva with huge tits!? This is so so dumb :psyduck:

So yeah, I just ordered all the volumes available in English. Now I have no expectation it will be good but I'm hoping it'll be a good one to make fun of. Thanks for sorting out my reading for next weekend :v:.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

I actually know the answers to the giant Eva question but should I spoil it?

Also, there is no other way to put it: they redesign Asuka and really oversexualize her and its creepy. I've heard people compare her redesign in Anima to "bimbofication."

Thanks but please don't spoil it. I kinda wanna go in fresh, no other context. A lot of the appeal of doing this is not knowing what to expect. Looks like a train wreck, wil report back once I actually read the drat thing

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So I noticed something cool when rewatching the opening scene as I love the Paris fight. As Ibuki and co are trying to establish the L containment field you can see the L field slowly consuming the work site and turn it red from the bottom up (it's most obvious on the magnetic locks holding the equipment in place.

I get the feeling I'm gonna be finding neat little details like that for a long time.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

The usb flip!

Yeah that is great too. Love that it's Maya who has to flip the usb. Doesn't matter how much IT experience you have, those buggers will always be fiddly :v:

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

yeah, i can't really picture rebuild gendo in a relationship with ritsuko or her mom.

After rewatching episode 21 recently it's clear that all of Gendous relationships are a mess and just show how broken he is. He is certainly never shown to have any emotional intimacy with anyone. I'd argue that he's literally going through the motions with Naoko as he just doesn't care Now that Yui is gone. When Ritsuko spots her kissing Gendou in the command center he doesn't reciprocate at all. He's very passive and doesn't even hold her (considering Naoko tells him in that scene "you're still not over Yui, but that's acceptable to me" I think that's intentional). Hell when Rei 1 calls her an old hag, we flash back to that scene and while Naoko is tongue deep in him he's just staring past her.

With Ritsuko it's a little messier. He certainly cares about Rei more than he does her, hence sending her to SEELE in Reis place. However, while he doesn't say anything he's visibly disturbed when he confronts Ritsuko after her breakdown. There's definitely an argument that like Shinji Gendou has no idea how to approach people and when they get too close he pushes them away by putting on a cold front (his treatment of Shinji post Yuis death, effectively abandoning Ritsuko etc).

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Even though the lack of "Fly Me to the Moon" is a shame I ended up ordering the ultimate edition. Been waiting too long for a blu ray and I love the ADV dub too much. No longer have the DVDs so this is probably the last official release that dub will ever get. No new purchases outside essentials for the next couple of months but am so hyped to finally have this in my collection again.

All that being said, if the standard edition ends up having the ADV dub as well I'm gonna be pissed.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

Probably need a Blu Release that's just the Official Dub for $60, a 'Complete' with the discs for the ADV Dub for like $150, and the sold out Otaku special.

Probably. If that happens I'd probably double dip and just keep the ultimate edition in a pristine shrine or something. My big fear is the box holding the discs for the ultimate edition will be a hard plastic mess that damages the disks over time.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The thing about the fights in Eva (or any Mecha anime) is that they act as the hook that draw people in. I got into the series when it aired on TV in my teens and the "cool giant robots" are definitely what got me to try the show. Ironically my favourite episodes/moments don't involve fighting (angel invading the Magi, Fuyutsukis flashback, etc) but I never would have learned that if I hadn't been drawn in by the spectacle of the Eva's themselves.

The action may not be the point but it's definitely a necessary element.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ToxicToast posted:

I read something similar to this regarding Mari and honestly agree with it. I feel like it works well as well.

Only thing that sucks though is that Asuka seems to get the raw deal in the ending. Seems like she still clearly has feeling for Shinji and I wish they had more dialog together during 3.0 + 1.0. Really, everything with Asuka just seemed rush. I also don't understand why Mari and Shinji did not have at least a tiny bit more interaction in earlier movies as well.

See, my read was that Asuka doesn't have romantic feelings for Shinji in the ending. Throughout 3.33 and most of Thrice upon a time Asuka is frustrated at the fact that Shinji hasn't matured or grown mentally. When Shinji is initially nonverbal she dismisses it as him just being the same brat she knew as a child. Seeing Shinji on the beach be honest with her and talk to her like an equal is proof that he really has changed. By contrast Asuka still feels like she's in a state of arrested development (hence why, in a world shaped by her perception, she's wearing a plugsuit that she's outgrown) and turns away from Shinji out of embarrassment/mild shame.

Even if you interpret her feelings for Shinji as romantic/unresolved she does end the film realising that Kensuke doesn't see her as a child and genuinely cares about her. We get a final shot of her open entry plug outside of their house at the village so we know that at the very least they reunite before the world is rewritten.

Personally I would have liked to have seen a little more but since the point of her last scene with Shinji is him letting go of his feelings for her and letting her live her own life I get why she doesn't appear afterwards.

Incidentally, one thing I keep thinking about is whether the survivors of fourth impact remember the events of the world with Eva's. When instrumentality is taking place we see that the L-fields prevent the village from being absorbed so who's to say they wouldn't keep their memories? Probably something I shouldn't worry about but it's fun to consider.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Ah gently caress! I ordered the ultimate edition for the ADV dub only to discover they're doing a cheaper collectors edition. poo poo!

Adding salt to the wound, I prefer the minimalist aesthetic of the collectors edition over the ultimate editions bloat. My big fear is that the disk spindles/holders are gonna be crap as there's no indication of how the discs are held in the ultimate edition.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I know the new dub script is bad but are the subtitles on the Netflix release particularly bad? Never watched the Japanese version on Netflix but the fact the ultimate edition blu ray touts the original subtitles as a selling point caught me off guard.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Weird BIAS posted:

For it being the title of the thread I’m curious when the last time was that people watched Death True2/&Rebirth. I forgot about the framing story of the string quartet and was curious how many people remember how oddly paced it was. It’s not a strictly linear recap, jumping from character to character in a way I didn’t remember it doing. I wonder if anyone saw this before the series.

For a long time the Death and Rebirth DVD was my only Evangelion media. I saw a rerun of episodes 13 and 14 on the sci-fi channel but it stopped airing after that and the movie was the only DVD in my town. Having that as my only source of Eva made me think the show was a lot more confusing than it is. Also had confusion when the kids greet Kaworu in the framing story, only for Shinji to not know him when the film gets to his proper introduction. Despite that I still loved it and it just made me want to get the series. Ended up importing the Australian DVD box set for an extortionate amount (for some reason they got it years before the UK did).

Incidentally, 10 years old is not the right time to be watching the hospital scene from Rebirth/End of Eva :gonk:

On dubs, I love the original JP cast and the fact they've stayed consistent is a point in its favour. However i have a huge nostalgia for the ADV dub even if I can see the flaws now.

Incidentally it's worth remembering not everyone can read subtitles. My younger brother is fascinated with the dvd/blu ray collection I've amassed (I'm several years older) and while he loves a lot of anime he just can't read subtitles due to his disability. Anything I watch with him has to be dubbed.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So has anyone here received their collectors edition/ultimate editions yet? I won't get mine until January but am curious to see what people think of it.

Will be nice to have a physical HD copy of the ADV dub again. As much as I prefer the ADV/manga dub due to nostalgia the upscale makes it hard to go back to the old dvds (particularly the movies).

On a side note, does anyone know if the dub for the platinum collection was a redub? I never got hold of that so can't be sure.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So my collectors edition blu rays arrived and I'm so happy to have a physical set again. Having the original dub with this picture quality is just wonderful.

One little thing, the dub is using the audio from the platinum edition remaster that I had never watched before. While it's mostly the same there's weird changes, the most noticeable being that during Reis monologue in episode 14 they add a lot of reverb to random words that wasn't in the original. Not a deal breaker but it's weird.

My only complaint is that the English dub doesn't include the TV edits for episodes 21-24. I also haven't confirmed whether the films have the original audio commentary extra (though I suspect that's not there either). Again none of these are deal breakers but they'd be nice to have on a set this expensive.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So this is probably old news but in episode 5 of the adv dub on the Blu Ray they made a weird change to Shinji's dialogue. When Ritsuko tells Shinji that Gendou opened the superheated hatch with his bare hands Shinji now exclaims "Bullshit! My father did that?". It's incredibly jarring and definitely not in the original dub (I checked). I can only assume this is another one of the random changes added when they redubbed some stuff for the Platinum edition.

Just thought that was interesting.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

bartkusa posted:

Should i get the standard edition blu-ray, or the collector’s edition?

I’ve heard complaints about the modern translation, but not sure the ADV dub and sub are worth paying $130 more.

It all depends on how much you value the old dub. With the new subs I think the main issue is how they handle Kaworu and Shinji (changing Kaworus "I love you" to "you're worthy of my grace"). Besides that the Netflix subs are fine and not worth buying the collectors edition to upgrade.

On the other hand if you want to watch it dubbed the ADV dub was a huge selling point to me on account of its nostalgia value and better script. In terms of the acting its more imbalanced than the Netflix dub (some actors take a few episodes to get good) but the Netflix script is an overly literal translation which leads to some stilted lines on occasion.

If you only plan to watch the Japanese dub then I'd just stick to the standard edition. Only consider the collectors edition if you really love the adv dub and are okay paying double to have it.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah, but the Perfect Collection is like $80-$150 used anyway. It's not like you're getting it for a steal.

Plus 480i DVD resolution.

poo poo I forgot how expensive those dvds are now. Don't forget that the "perfect collection" doesn't include the movies since the rights to those were with Manga Entertainment. That's another £60. The picture encode on some of the End of Evangelion Dvds also had issues with colour saturation if I recall correctly.

I still think that if you're only concerned with the Japanese dub the standard edition is a fine option. That said if you have any love for the ADV dub the new collectors edition is probably the cheapest way to get it legally (even if it is overpriced). Lord knows I couldn't resist it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

rebuild was a very shinji focused story, which i get because even at 4 long movies, it doesn't have the space the show did, but it feels like it barely develops misato at all. the stuff about wanting to have died with kaji and then choosing death to ensure the success of the mission (while wistfully thinking about the son who doesn't know her) just leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Misato definitely suffers the most from not seeing her development during the time skip but it does make sense to me. Rebuild Misato is dealing with an additional 15 years of trauma after surviving 3rd impact and that has caused her to become even more like Shinji/Gendou.

The key thing for me is as much as the rest of the world blames Shinji for 3rd impact she blames herself for encouraging him in 2.22. After surviving 2nd impact, the idea that you caused the same disaster that defined your life to happen again would crush most people.

Her wanting to die with Kaji also makes sense when you consider what she's lost. For all she knows, she's responsible for 3rd impact and she probably saw sacrificing herself as a way to atone.

As for separating herself from her son it definitely is a tragic repeat of her own dynamic with her father. In Misato's case, the last time she tried to be a parental figure for someone she cared about the apocalypse happened. She probably genuinely believes that as much as she wants to be in her sons life she can only cause him more pain.

In the end, Misato is able to take responsibility for her part in 2.22 and advocate for Shinji again. While her big sacrifice could be seen as just another example of choosing death out of survival guilt, I saw it as her finally being able to fight by Shinji's side and support him. The fact her sacrifice is backed by a triumphant rendition of "Joy to the World" certainly made me think that in any case.

All that said I don't think the films do enough to establish Misato's arc. It's all there but because there's so much going on and the films are mostly from Shinji's pov anyone not directly connected to Shinjis plot suffers.