Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I'm at episode 24 of the original series of my first ever complete viewing of this interesting mess. Is it worth watching Death (True)2 before continuing on to the end of evangelion?
The descriptions say it's just a recap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Pretty good posted:

You're not skipping 25 and 26 though, right?

No I’m just preparing. poo poo is hitting the fan so I can see myself doing those 2 episodes in 1 sitting and I want to continue watching after that.

Nate RFB posted:

It is a recap but I've always been a fan of it because it's edited really well and has some new content that is used as a framing device that I think are interesting. It's not something you'd need to kick yourself over for missing but I usually watch it when I rewatch the series and movies.

I’m going to watch it then. It’s only an hour and this series is simultaneously extremely dense and very sparse. It manages to bore me and intrigue me at the same time so getting a decent recap before the end will probably be very helpful.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Szmitten posted:

In the last decade and a half I've sorta observed that most first time watchers are recommended to watch the series with the directors cut episodes only, and to jump straight to EoE after 26, and I believe this is also what Netflix basically does. I've found that this has sorta hosed people's understanding and warped the impression of the production with odd little quirks like 24DC's next episode preview being an animatic for Air instead of 25TV, leading people to literally believe that the episode was re-written within a week, among other misconceptions.

I'm not suggesting everyone should watch the on-air 1-26, 21-24 DCs, one of the three Deaths, the laserdisc/blu-ray version of Rebirth, then EoE; but I wish there was a more concise way for people to get it all cleanly without having to go all in.

That indeed seems to be the case and is one of the reasons why I asked for advice. Netflix is constantly shoving EoE in my face telling me to watch it. Despite not having finished the series yet. (ep24 was quite wtf plot)
If I hadn't seen the two movies side b side when Netflix first launched Evangelion on their service, I wouldn't have known at all at this point. Because they basically bury it.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
What the hell was ep25?
They spell out the character themes completely redundantly, because anyone who has managed to get to this point should know them.
It’s a weird not quite clip show thing that still makes me feel like I watched a summary and then nearly at the end it’s like “oh, while you were being told about the characters the plot has already happened.”
:psyduck:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

Think about it more like the characters are being told what you know about them. But try and empathize with how it would feel to be told exactly who you are by some kind of weird omniscient consciousness that is also yourself.

T-man posted:

I think this is an underrated part of why the ending captures people even if it may be negatively. The idea of someone who is neither Self nor Other, that is and isn't you, just existing. Psychedelic horror at its best. Like if your hand started talking to you in your own voice, and chided you for not typing with good posture.

It is definitely psychedelic. I do love the way they frame and film it. It leaves you feeling uncomfortable.

It's just really jarring when ep24 seemed to indicate the story was going places. So to then suddenly be thrown into a non quite clip show and be told at the end it's because the story did indeed continue is...weird.

edit: Watched episode 26 just now. I was prepared to not like it, but I..liked it. It's all very confusing and makes it feel like everything up to here was just Shinji dealing with his demons and the Eva's and poo poo was just his mind playing tricks on him. But it's interesting and provides a good conclusion for Shinji. Not really for the story, but for him it was nice.
Looking forward to the two movies.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 29, 2020

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I finished the death true movie. Going to watch EoE this week.
I’m happy I watched the death true movie, it refreshed my memory a lot. I didn’t exactly binge this series and it’s sometimes so slow it lost my attention.
It’s a good summary.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I finally got around to watching the End of Evangelion on Netflix.
:wtc: did I just watch. I don't think I'll ever see something like this again.

I can't pretend to understand what happened and whether that was good or bad, but holy crap at all those visuals.

There's some real cool stuff in there, I actually go really happy for Asuka when she cheered up murdering things. :unsmith: And then she died, but at least she sort of died happy even if it was for naught.
Some parts were quite boring to me though, like the real life part seemed to drag on. Good thing it was usually followed by more insanity.

And lol at giving Rei Barby doll anatomy and then drawing a vagina on her head.

I think my biggest confusion is how somehow Rei got popular? She's a blank slate, a doll and while important has no real agency. Why did people latch on to her so badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Didn't you hear her?

She is not a doll.

I actually had the opposite response to Rei. Came in assuming I'd roll my eyes at this nothing character, but she was really interesting to watch.

The surface level thing is that she's, well, off. She's poorly socialized and has some weird stuff going on with her soul, so her interactions with people show a lack of connection with regular society that goes against the flow and makes her stand out.

But she also has a lot of interiority. Rei spends a lot of time trying to figure out what the hell Rei's deal is, which contrasts with Asuka running full tilt away from thinking about why she's a pile of issues in favor of drowning them in giant (not a) robot violence and quantifiable accomplishments.

Rei isn't an empty puppet. She's a person who's messed up due to a miserable, weird life, and (interesting bit!) she's a person who's consciously evaluated her own life and decided that selling it for the people she cares about was a good value. (Her conversation with Asuka is interesting here, because she objects to the suggestion that she's not a person... and follows up by saying that of course she'd die if Gendo ordered it.

Asuka takes it as a sign of emptiness, but for Rei, it's the opposite. As a human being, she's decided that her loyalty and affection for Ikari makes the best decision the one that helps him. Even if it means her death.)

Which leads, naturally enough, to the fact that she does have agency, in the end. (Arguably, more than any of the other characters.) Agency that derails everyone's plans. In the end, she sides with Shinji over Gendo, chooses the boy who was kind to her over the man who took her cooperation for granted, and thus, tang.

I agree that she's a very interesting character. Her blankness, her purpose, her self worth the way she takes her destiny into her own hands at the end. But, it just..doesn't seem..I don't know. She just doesn't strike me as someone I want to write a million fics or draw thousands of pictures off. Like she's interesting to look at in show, but not think about in any other setting?
I'm probably rambling, but I hope I'm getting my vague point across.

Szmitten posted:

She was one of the first big examples of that cool and aloof archetype. Appeals to people who want a quiet pretty doll, but also appeals to masochist-adjacents who want someone to ignore them.

But also mysterious magical moon lady who is often naked and doesn't care.

Except cool? I don't know, feels like anyone who thought she was cool kinda missed the point of her? I mean she had cool moments, like the spear of Longinus, the sniper rifle and the end with Ikari.
Boobs probably help with the demographic. :shrug:

Anyway, it's quite a movie.

Also lol.