Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

this is loving incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
they really should figure out a digital release. covid isn't just going to go away

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

this isn't even the best comparison. the best one is the one on twitter where it sounds like gendo says 'anita rose, so i sent for you'

this one: https://twitter.com/KaiserNeko/status/1141998516082024448

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
adv gendo sounds like your frustrated father which is why it owns. he sounds so normal. meanwhile, the Netflix dub makes him sound like he should be some evil sorcerer.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
spoiler overview from someone who saw it: https://twitter.com/ahsokabro/status/1368785490242048000

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
here's some lore glossary-related spoilers. linking to the post because it's pretty big: https://forum.evageeks.org/thread/20641/Shin-Eva-leak-general/760/#p913366

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
one last kiss seems like it's leaked a few hours early: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SA5vEEYPK8

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
seems to be the most accurate/detailed account of things so far: https://old.reddit.com/r/evangelion/comments/m0dabj/summarizing_an_audience_members_account_of/

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
there's a camrip in the wild... somewhere

https://imgur.com/a/EPHSwTZ

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
lol

"The camrip is currently being auctioned at a pirated media asian website and is being essentialy held hostage for 300 dollars in bitcoin, lowest bid right now is 100.

The lowest bid for a camrip of Evangelion 3.0+1.0 right now is five million dollars in bitcoin"

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
saw some people talking about what happened between the second and third films. apparently the last film features a shot when we learn about kaji and third impact, of mark 6 decapitating lillith while she's masked and on the cross

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Motto posted:

As a heads up the newest official 3.0+1.0 trailers/MVs pull from the movie a lot more broadly, so watch out if you want to dodge as much as possible.

yeah, this is true. but boy, some of those visuals are fantastic and it's clear that whatever we've heard about this film, there's a lot of stuff that people haven't conveyed based just on these shots alone.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
i really hope the original rebuild cast get to close out the rebuilds. it'd mean a lot imo

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Pulcinella posted:

It seems like the Rebuild films are coming to Amazon video? There are trailers and everything up for the first 3.

there're some wild rumors that the fourth film has already been dubbed and will come to amazon. apparently some person in an Italian dubbing company said they've already dubbed shin.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
the big twist in salvation wasn't that the guy was a cyborg but that skynet had human collaborators and was keeping humans alive (hence 'salvation') - but this was cut entirely from the final film, excluding one or two shots

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
been rewatching evangelion with a friend who hasn't seen it and, wow, the tone of the series shifts hard after episode 14. also, there's a fair few strange choices where fairly major events and revelations take place off-screen. The rebuilds are interesting because they take the story, cut out the filler and more meaningless bits, and give some events a bit more heft. the nature of the evangelions themselves is completely different, too. in the original series, they're basically restrained beasts that flip out, not really understood. in the rebuilds, it's clearer that they understand evangelions a lot more and that the constructs themselves are not nearly as autonomous - the restraints aren't to control the evangelion but to prevent the pilot from getting too much power. and that's without getting into how the angels stuff with adam, lillith, seele and all that feels more cleaner and coherent than it does in the original series. the original series is great but I think there's something really cool about a cleaner version of the series written by a more stable anno where the pieces fit together better, even if we lose the weirdness that the original was known for.

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 27, 2021

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

bees x1000 posted:

yes but have you considered that the rebuilds are actually _less_ interesting because they cut out the filler and meaningless bits :colbert:

a little yeah. and the rebuilds also don't have anything nearly as intense as the last half a dozen episodes or so. the sense of doom that hangs over the entire show then is really something.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

quote:

Gendo created the organization called SEELE to help propel this into existence, but after they discover what his plans have become they break their relationship with the mad scientist and order the Japanese Strategic Self Defense Forces (JSSDF) to attack Tokyo-3 and NERV headquarters. SEELE order the JSSDF to kill everyone and everything in sight in order to prevent Gendo from ushering in the Third Impact. SEELE want to initiate the Third Impact their own way that doesn’t align with Gendo’s plans.

just totally backwards. idk it's weird to me to see someone write so many words about something yet get fairly basic things wrong.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
that's right. in one version of events, she was shot in the back. in another, gendo shot her in the chest.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
the english dub is a little weird (going through 1.11 and 2.22) but it's not the terrible thing that was the Netflix version. it's sort of in-between the old rebuild dub and the very literal netflix version which leaves it feeling a bit uneven but there's definitely some additional clarity to what's going on. mari really benefitted from some localization rewriting and she's kind of flat now (but she also calls the tenth angel a 'ballbuster' so, like I said, uneven.) there're some line deliveries and pronunciations that're off (SEH-LA, ZEH-LA, ZELEY) and misato's voice actress feels like she's hitting the limit of being able to do Misato's voice. SEELE itself sounds way off. fuyutsuki is about the same as he was in EOE, lovably monotone. I'll go through 3.33 in a bit.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
the 3.33 dub script seems basically the same as the existing one, whereas the first two were obviously different -- but i think the script is still a bit clearer about a few things here and there (third impact/near-third is still ambiguous.) the EoE fuyutsuki feels like he was cast for this film in particular, he's got a nice delivery for old, tired fuyutsuki.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
Someone asked about what's up with Yui in the rebuilds and her goals and so on and I think the biggest difference is that it was truly an unforeseen terrible accident that led her to being sucked into unit 01 and annihilated, not some weird gambit where she didn't tell her own husband what she was planning

It's bolstered by how it seems like gendo's plan involved freeing what was left of yui in unit 01 and dying with her/getting closure

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
lol citation needed

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Wachter posted:

I don't see how it can be an accident in either continuity. If SEELE don't put ladies' souls in EVA cores, they can't be piloted by their kids, so you can't fight the Angels off for long enough to implement Instrumentality.

Yui almost certainly has superior rank in the SEELE cult. According to the Classified Information, she is the daughter of a prominent member of SEELE, and so is more likely to have been initiated into their higher mysteries. Gendo is the ingenue, marrying well above his station.

Yui's contact experiment is her apotheosis. She believes in Instrumentality so fervently that she sacrifices her life to create one of the divine ritual objects that can bring it about. She may well also have been duped by the SEELE grand masters, who may have different intentions for Instrumentality, but that's not really relevant here.

Yui and SEELE both know she will not survive the contact experiment - it's probably all laid out in the Dead Sea Scrolls. Gendo doesn't. He's not yet risen high enough in the order; he's not adept enough to read them. He is still his generation's Shinji, a confused boy surrounded by people who know much, much more than him and will not surrender their secrets. When he later discovers that her death was in some ways prefigured as part of the grand secret work, he will still include himself among her murderers and wallow in self pity, because, again, he's Shinji.

If Yui's death was just an accident, Gendo's raison d'etre is simply misguided vengeance against SEELE's failure to meet OSHA guidelines. If deliberate, Gendo's hubris is doubly tragic (and has more narrative weight), because not only does he intend to doom humanity in order to be reunited his dead wife, he derails and perverts her wishes by doing so.

okay well let's see, you're transposing a lot of information in from the original series to rebuild without understanding that those concepts are very different within the rebuild continuity. for one, there is zero indication that there's the mother-child link that was so integral to the evangelions in the original series is at all present in the rebuild. for example, see how quickly mari and asuka jump between evangelions and the fact that asuka shikinami is, like rei, an artificial being and mari is a contemporary of gendo and yui. see also that when evangelion-01 ever goes berserk or powers up, it is at shinji's behest. the classified information doesn't apply to rebuilds at all. you've also completely misunderstood the relationship between SEELE and Gendo and their various goals in the rebuilds which, again, differs from the original series. in the original series, gendo manages to dupe SEELE for a long while and they only really catch on at the eleventh hour. in the rebuilds, 2.22 makes it clear that both gendo and SEELE are covertly scheming against each other with the fact that SEELE concealed Mark 6 from NERV and the fact that Gendo awakens Unit 01 to try and override their scenario ahead of schedule as a consequence (which SEELE counterplays with the spear.) in the original series, SEELE is an occult death cult that seeks to control instrumentality to kill mankind and/or put themselves in perpetual charge of the gestalt being. in the rebuilds, SEELE is some kind of ancient possibly-non-human organization that has given mankind civilization and guided them to fulfill instrumentality as part of some covenant with lillith. gendo knows he can use their spear-and-eva based magi-science to reunite with yui, and seele is aware that gendo's trying to mess with them.

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 14, 2021

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

bicycle posted:

This is an awesome detail. I thought I recognised it but couldn't place it.

One thing I'm not sure about from my one viewing maybe someone can help me with:

Do we know how exactly Kaji sacrificed himself for Third Impact? Do we know the extent of his deal/relationship with Kaworu or what that was about in general?

These might be unanswered questions or maybe I just need a re-watch?

what we get in this film is all we get. the brief theory seems to be kaworu became commander of NERV after N3I and Gendo and Fuyutsuki were up in the mountains (presumably evading authorities) and making friends with a goat. Kaji was Kaworu's 2IC. We do not know how Kaji stopped Third Impact. The implication seems to be that Kaworu was an inside man for WILLE somehow but it's all a bit muddled because we don't really know what happened with Third Impact at all and if Kaworu was on WILLE's side then why would they need to rise up against NERV?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

SUNKOS posted:

That's really surprising. Did he say this years ago or is this something that he said more recently?

He could have announced there would be five Rebuilds instead of four to accomplish this but after Thrice Upon a Time I don't see how he would do this now.

the third film was going to be that story, but anno decided he didn't want to do a film without shinji, leading to 3.33 as we have it. i think he said this very recently.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Augus posted:

the English script for this movie is, uh, not great. lol

tbqh if you don't like "I have deeds... TO PERRRFOOOOORM!" you can get out of the thread

I'm baffled by the line where fuyutsuki repeats himself and i can't tell if it's another unusual line delivery from the master of "oh my god it's an anti at field" or if they've actually left, like, a second take in the recording (it's the line about soon reactivating Unit 13 "Soon Unit 13 will be reactivated! Soon Unit 13 will be reactivated." or something)

as someone who works in manga localization, the amazon scrips aren't as bad as the Netflix ones but still show the importance of actually localizing your scripts into how people talk. it's weird because the amazon scrips have some more relaxed lines right next to really obviously tightly as-written ones.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

ImpAtom posted:

Like if you don't get "Why are you all so nice to me?" "Because we like you" and how loving powerful that is then I'm not sure what to say.

I don't know how it is in the original language, but Spencer's sobs after that line are just the right kind of terrible for demonstrating just how off-kilter Shinji's mental state is at that point, he sounds like he's about to vomit

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

bicycle posted:

Watching 3.0 + 1.0 makes me wish 3 was a lot better at setting things up.

I don't think Rebuild could ever have been cohesive over such a long and troubled production period but holy hell the difference is night and day.

imo 3 set up a story that 3.0+1.0 swerved wildly away from which is probably a good thing because a happy ending serves eva better imo, even as someone who loves the third rebuild movie

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Nyeehg posted:

After taking a day to sit on it I'm still really satisfied with this film. Some miscellaneous thoughts (light spoilers but tagging just to be safe):

-The scene where Asuka force feeds Shinji is still hard to watch. Seeing her berate him for his actions, all the while it being clear that she's projecting her own self loathing onto him. Tiffany Grant did a really good job.
-Similarly, the scene where Rei Q first collapses really hit me. Having seen people just collapse like that, I was struck by how realistically sudden it was. Also the scenes with Rei Q were great and the implication that Gendou intentionally arranged it so that she couldn't survive outside Nerv was a big twist of the knife.
-When Unit 2 prevents Asuka from stabbing Unit 13, is it possible it was trying to protect Asuka? I know Asuka assumes it's because Unit 2 is afraid but Unit 13 only makes its move once the AT field is down.
-Do we know if Mari is a clone or is she definitely the original?
-What the gently caress is that weird doll/potato sack thing Rei is holding during her conversation with Shinji

Third point: unit 02 may have been afraid and/or it may have been aware that Unit 13 was playing possum, which could link with it wanting to protect asuka, yeah
Fourth point: given that fuyutsuki identifies her as mari iscariot, i think it's unlikely that she's a clone. mari was seemingly a friend of yui, gendo and fuyutsuki who turned against them at some point, hence 'iscariot.' how and why she was subjected to the curse of eva is unclear. however, mari DOES have the -nami bit of her surname which does link her to the clone ayanami and shikinami types
Fifth point: it's a tsubame doll

now, here's an idea. gendo says that shinji's mother had been to the golgotha object. the golgotha object lies in negative space. yui was injected directly into the core of unit 01 and vanished. when the eva pilots enter 'negative plug depth' which is seemingly proximity to the core, they physically vanish and gain amazing capabilities in their evas and strange physiological issues outside of them (no longer needing to eat, for example, or age). is there some interaction between 'negative space' and the 'negative plug depth?'

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 16, 2021

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Randalor posted:

So maybe I missed something, but what exactly was Seele's deal in Rebuild? In the original series, they were just a typical "shadow organization that would leave out the final step in the plan when talking to underlings" group, but in Rebuild, they have technology so advance that it apparently can't be replicated by Nerv/Wille (the black pillars specifically) and we never actually see them. Considering the talk of "forced evolution" being the history of Lilim, were they just supposed to be a precursor race to Humanity that chose to upload themselves so they could guide Humanity and/or see what came after Humanity? They were apparently content to die in 3.33 after the Third Impact.

pretty much. seele were representatives of some kind of precursor race (perhaps even a first ancestral race, you could say) who seemed to be set on guiding humanity along the path of the 'gods' that gendo talked about. whether they were directly linked to the 'gods' or just some species who thought it was a good idea is unknown.

redsniper posted:

Was someone driving unit 13 when it rekt Asuka or had NERV just automated it like they do with everything else?

kaworu was still in one of the entry plugs, and he can be seen standing behind asuka's original.

Zhanism posted:

I'm really hoping something in the future comes out that goes over what actually happened during N3I. That's actually super interesting to me on what caused the changes we saw and how anyone survived. Given village 3 was there because of the anti angel pillers and I doubt anyone had the foresight to set them up before hand, most of the world turning into core must have happened slow enough for some counter measures or in stages of some sort.

well, we saw N3I -- that was the thing that kaworu stopped with the spear. the thing we know very little about and is maddeningly obscure is third impact itself, although we can arrange some order of events based on what we've got in the preview for the third film, things we see in the third film, and stuff from the last film. however, what gets really confusing is how people within the village seem to regard near third impact as being more of an event than actual third. there are a lot of little interesting tidbits, though: like how did unit 01 end up with no arms and legs and who threw it into space? it could also be that what people in the know call 'third impact' others call 'near third' and what we know as 'near third' is just ignored? but that seems needlessly complicated.

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 17, 2021

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

ImpAtom posted:

From what the movies say:

Near Third Impact happened. The only reason it didn't complete is because it got stopped but it still hosed the world over really good. The damaging effects got worse over time but not before people could set up the safety villages/the NERV civil war happened/etc. The damage was done and the world was right hosed, it was just that there was enough time to survive and make safe zones and even figure out ways to slowly undo the damage. It's called Near Third because unlike the other Impacts it was stopped.

sigh

no this is not what the movies say, and doesn't make any sense with the visuals we see in 2.22, the film where near third impact happened. there were two separate events, unless the argument is that the ending of the second film has been completely disregarded and retconned and the creative team was so sloppy as to forget that misato's arm was busted at near third and healed at third impact implying that at least a few weeks had passed between the two

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

MikeJF posted:

What people have said about what happened during the timeskip and looking again at some of the dialogue from 3.33 (which may have been terribly put because of translation), it seems like the event with Shinji at the end of 2 was 'Near Third Impact', Kaworu suspended it, then there was a short time period where other stuff happened, then Gendo etc took out the spear and resumed it and caused actual Third Impact, which was what really hosed the world and made everything red and poo poo. People still blame Shinji because he started it all off and N3I is considered the trigger of actual 3I, but they seem to have been distinct events that both happened.

pretty much. what we know is, basically:

near-third
shinji awakens unit 01 into a radiant giant and begins third impact as an unintended consquence of his desire to save rei
this is part of gendo's plan to outplay SEELE and their mark 06 true evangelion
kaworu arrives, in mark 06, and halts the impact with the lance of cassius
tokyo-3 is devastated but overall the damage does not appear severe, lillith remains on her cross
misato's arm is in a sling

in-between
nerv staff are incarcerated (by the UN?)
unit 01 is sealed in a ring of those pillars and dubbed the 'near-third impact site'
gendo and fuyutsuki seemingly escape
kaworu ends up in command of NERV, with kaji as his second (perhaps at SEELE's command?)
the eleventh angel appears and is dispatched
mark 06 is automated at the command of 'the lilin'

third impact
misato's arm is healed
mark 06 decapitates lillith within terminal dogma
the twelfth angel is involved (potentially having possessed the automated mark 6)
the Wunder is present, presumably under WILLE's control
WILLE seem to be formed in this moment against NERV (kaji's VTOL has WILLE sprayed over the NERV logo) -- therefore, it's possible that gendo is back in command, and then this third impact may have been orchestrated by NERV/SEELE
kaji stops third impact by sacrificing his life
by the time of 3.33, the world is post-apocalyptic

afterwards
a seal is placed on terminal dogma preventing anyone from reaching lillith (until the invention of the unique two-system Eva-13)
while distinction is drawn between N3I and Third Impact by people 'in the know', it appears that regular people consider N3I more damaging fourteen years on
SEELE move into NERV HQ, go silent, and appear to be somewhat damaged
gendo, fuytsuki and kaworu remain the only people in NERV HQ. gendo and fuyutsuki consider kaworu "SEELE's boy"

timing unclear
nerv is rebranded and gets a new logo. this appears to be AFTER the wille uprising given the damaged old logo we see in 3.33, but it is unclear because...
evangelion 01 is turned to core, loses its arms and legs, and is sealed in the tesseract and thrown into space. unclear who arranged this, although the tesseract is marked with the new nerv logo, which one thinks new nerv (under gendo?) wouldn't want to part with.
the spear of cassius is removed from unit 01, presumably making something bad happen. this happening during third impact could explain why people think shinji was involved.

unknown
was unit 01 involved with third impact in any way, or was it merely the 'trigger?' what does that mean?

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 17, 2021

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

ImpAtom posted:

The two separate events were part of the whole. That's kind of the point. Shinji's actions brought about an apocalyptic scenario but thanks to it being stopped via spear there was enough time for actual solutions to be put in play whereas if it hadn't been stopped then the world would have gone full End of Eva right there. Near Third Impact is the one people consider the huge disaster while Third Impact was stopped by Kaji and didn't seem to have anywhere as serious consequences. (Or if it did they weren't significant enough to ping for people over N3I.)

The majority of the damage appears to have been done by N3I and the way everyone acts would make zero sense if that wasn't the case. The fact that Third Impact happened doesn't mean it was more significant than N3I, especially since Kaji stopped it seemingly permanently however the hell he did.

that's right, the way people are acting doesn't make much sense. the idea that kaworu stopped the impact (the gates of guf closed = impact over) but then it happened slowly anyway isn't supported by anything. for the layman, 'near third impact' presumably covers both events as neither impact ended the world entirely.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

what i'm curious about is exactly how neo-nerv kept making all these large scale projects when it consisted of two elderly men and a bunch of teenage clones with no technical skills living in a ruined base. heck, most of those clones got decapitated! sure, a lot of it can be chalked up to automated production lines as seen in 3.33. other parts were pure artificial angel tech, which i'll give a pass due to seele and angels being so unearthly and all-around weird. but some of that stuff had to be researched and then put together manually instead of grown or mass-produced, such as the ships. those explicitly weren't finished when nerv as an organization with human staff fell apart.

the ships were seemingly made 2000 years ago or something like that based on the dates provided

ImpAtom posted:

The characters literally discuss the gradual corification and every single one of them treats it as something that happened after what Shinji did, not some unspecified period of time later, including the ones who are literally fighting against Gendo and would have no reason not to blame him. Like one of the things mentioned about the big magic towers is that they stop it from spreading but if it goes down then they're all hosed. Literally the entire point of the opening sequence is that they have a limited amount of time to work.

hush, you got owned by anno anyway

MikeJF posted:

Re: Near Third impact, apparently during an appearance Anno gave a rough ouline of events that happened after 2 ended on a stage, things that would've been a movie before they decided not to do it:

Shinji gets speared and they shut down/pause Near Third Impact, Gendo is ousted from the leadership of Nerv and goes into hiding with Fuyutsuki, Kaji and Kaworu end up running Nerv for a short time, that's why we see the two of them during Kaworu's bits at the end of 3+1. After a fairly shot time Gendo comes back, takes things over, there's a big battle, Third Impact resumes, that's when most of the planet is transformed and all the weird stuff we see inside Nerv HQ in 3.33 happens, Kaji sacrifices his life to end it before absolutely everyone dies, the remaining Nerv personnel form WILLE to stop Gendo.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not particularly sure how I got 'owned by anno" considering nothing there contradicts what I said.

i see we've reached the 'goon feigning illiteracy' part of the discussion

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, is that what you're doing? It makes a lot more sense now. Have fun!

I'm sorry you don't understand extremely basic repeated motifs like the gates of guf vanishing mean the impact is over and have an irresistible urge to double down because you got really basic things wrong lmao to the extent that even words from the creator themselves cause you to seethe like this

it's just an anime bro, it's okay to make bad calls about a situation that is quite complex, but you can't pretend that you're actually arguing that third impact was where the world changed when you outright said that it was the near third:

ImpAtom posted:

From what the movies say:

Near Third Impact happened. The only reason it didn't complete is because it got stopped but it still hosed the world over really good. The damaging effects got worse over time but not before people could set up the safety villages/the NERV civil war happened/etc. The damage was done and the world was right hosed, it was just that there was enough time to survive and make safe zones and even figure out ways to slowly undo the damage. It's called Near Third because unlike the other Impacts it was stopped.

ImpAtom posted:

The two separate events were part of the whole. That's kind of the point. Shinji's actions brought about an apocalyptic scenario but thanks to it being stopped via spear there was enough time for actual solutions to be put in play whereas if it hadn't been stopped then the world would have gone full End of Eva right there. Near Third Impact is the one people consider the huge disaster while Third Impact was stopped by Kaji and didn't seem to have anywhere as serious consequences. (Or if it did they weren't significant enough to ping for people over N3I.)

The majority of the damage appears to have been done by N3I and the way everyone acts would make zero sense if that wasn't the case. The fact that Third Impact happened doesn't mean it was more significant than N3I, especially since Kaji stopped it seemingly permanently however the hell he did.

i know, i know, goons hate it when you remember things but just take the L dude lmao. the stuff that changed the world took place after third impact, not near third, which means we come right back to the mystery of what was shinji's culpability if anything. it may even be the slow corification process you describe!

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
here's a fun thought - what was gendo talking about?

he says yui has been to the golgotha object. there's a theory on evageeks that this relates to being inserted into the core, plug depth etc. basically sends you to the anti-universe. but then shinji talks about how gendo's plan was to see his mother off. did gendo think yui was trapped in the anti-universe? after all, why else did his plan need to take place there? and why was he so shocked when he arrived there and only found rei? what exactly happened to yui and where did she come from at the end of the film to take on shinji's sacrifice?

Major Operation posted:

That's an excellent question, and one that could be explored in a 12 episode OVA about the period between 2.22 and 3.33. Something that gives Asuka a lot more screen time.

More seriously, it's tough to guess if they thought about that sequence to that level of detail. Knowing Anno, it could be a reference to a similar sequence from another show/movie in the 70s or 80s.

fuyutsuki mentions in 3.33 that shinji's mind was wiped after the incident with his mother. possibly shinji doesn't remember it for that reason.

nightbae smokewheat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqgf2MDAsgU

this is the song that plays over asuka's bad day at the south pole and it is stuck in my head

just an incredible scene. one of the best in the whole franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
the adv dub is great, the netflix dub is cringe, the amazon dub is somewhere in between. the pre-amazon rebuild dubs were better than the amazon versions, however.