Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I just saw last weeks 3.33 trailer yesterday and it's got me super pumped, I've managed to stay pure and unspoiled for what feels like a year now.

2 quick questions though, an english dub/release is still a long way off right? I remember the rule used to be "about 2-3 years" after a Japanese theatrical release. And also, is there much of a difference between the DVD and Bluray versions of 1.11 and 2.22, or are they pretty much the same but better quality? I have a dvd of 1.11 and it's just the movie on the disc and not much else..

Actually it might have been a copy of 1.01?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
poo poo why? What have I done?

Anyway doing research it looks like Manga did a lovely release of 1.11 on both formats and that's the dvd I have. Their 2.22 looks nice though.

Edit: Aww poo poo did I watch a trailer for the fourth movie?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

ACanofPepsi posted:

:smith:Pen-Pen...
I'd love a long documentary from an alien's perspective as they catalog Earth thousands of years in the future while trying to figure out what the gently caress happened on this planet. The abandoned NERV HQ was really amazing and I wish more time was spent showing it off.

It really reminded me of Portal 2. Recognizing spesific places was haunting too.

Oh and I know I'm totally late to the party here but holy poo poo! That loving movie!

Edit:

Spoilers Below posted:

Let's talk about one of the major influences on Anno himself, and Evangelion in particular: UFO

I wonder how much the Ghibli short was influenced by Anno being super into Gerry Anderson. It really felt like an episode of Thunderbirds were everything explodes for 20 minutes, not to mention the marionettes.

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Apr 27, 2013

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I thought that the woman in the photo of Yui and Shinji was Asuka's mom, for some reason. That said I have no idea what Asuka's mom looks like outside of a swinging silhouette..

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Its a shame because I would have liked to see the Pilots as actual, physically and mentally 28 years old. I get they can't be though because a. Otakus and b. That cultural thing about young protagonists but still it was fun in TTGL.

Also I can't believe I didn't consider how important the title is in 3.

All in all it was a fun giant robot movie were crazy stuff happened and had my eyes glued to the screen, torn between watching what was going on and actually focusing on the subtitles. Sure things were obtuse and confusing but considering that we the viewer are Shinji, the movie has done a great job at putting us in his shoes. They could have info dumped 14 years of poo poo on us from the beginning, but instead we end up like Shinji, wanting Mitsado or Asuka to tell us what the gently caress is going on and wondering what happened to Rei.

I dunno, it's Eva, I'm supposed to be confused.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
If we are talk about what people should or shouldnt have done with Shinji right at the start, Wille should have probably just excecuted him, he did commit genocide and is extremely dangerous after all. Then again there might have been some other reason for keeping him alive, but I can't imagine what it'd be other than piloting an Eva, which they warned him not to. Or maybe he is being kept alive because Wille or Mitsado still think killing a 14 year old is too far? Or... Yeah I might be thinking too hard about that. Shinji is alive because it'd be a short movie otherwise.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Nyeehg posted:

Well, 3.33 isn't out here for another month so I can't check this but (MILD FINAL SCENE SPOILER):

Aren't Asuka, Shinji and Rei3 completely cut off from everyone at the end of the movie? I'm fairly sure they are stranded due to radio interference or something. Could be interesting to see how the next movie handles that

At any rate, I'm glad the US blu rays are finally out. With any luck, the UK shouldn't have any more delays.

Asuka mentions there's an L Barrier, which like a lot of things in 3.33 isn't defined! But there's some speculation about all the pilots being somehow altered, what with their no aging and Asuka specifically referring to the others as "Lillin". So it appears that there's something around ground zero that Shinji, Asuka and Rei can move about in but not the others in Wille. She mentions that they actually can't come and get them, too. I'm also like 90% sure it'll never get explained

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

In Training posted:

I hope I don't die before Final comes out.

Sometimes I worry about this and I hate myself for it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Mothra: "Disgusting"

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Mothra's more Yui than Asuka, I would think.

I couldnt think of any other female Kaiju. :sweatdrop:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Yeah I think Misato gets SUPER dead

I think those are two halves of her body..

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Gainax don't have all that sweet sweet razor money?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Spiritus Nox posted:

I mean does it really matter what happens to Misato in that instant when the entirity of human conciousness is shortly thereafter dumped in an ocean of tang?

I'm not sure... Most people assume Asuka is toast after the mass produced Evas get her but she manages to get tanged AND comes back, but she's still injured. Maybe if Misato came back she'd have a huge bandage around her stomach or something??

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
It might suck but at least we won't get those stock slime sound effects in EoE this way...at least I hope so

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I like this thread, it's worthy of my grace

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Put one of their songs in a trailer for something I care about and I'm like putty in your hands

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Fly Ricky posted:

The real best Eva song is Angel Attack by a country mile. Nothing else even comes close.

It’s a trip watching Japanese variety shows when they play that (among a handful of other recognizable soundtrack songs) in the background during segments.

Weird way to spell Decisive Battle

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Shin Gigantor, do it

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Good luck

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Lmao how is this movie not available on Prime in Ireland gently caress offfff

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Gendo hugged Shinji and said he was sorry for abandoning him and I burst into tears

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Remember the next time on: Where Mari and Asuka's Evas were fused together? That was such a long time ago

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Horizon Burning posted:

Someone asked about what's up with Yui in the rebuilds and her goals and so on and I think the biggest difference is that it was truly an unforeseen terrible accident that led her to being sucked into unit 01 and annihilated, not some weird gambit where she didn't tell her own husband what she was planning

It's bolstered by how it seems like gendo's plan involved freeing what was left of yui in unit 01 and dying with her/getting closure

That kind of fits more with the idea that Rebuild is OG Eva but if people talked to each other eventually instead of being taciturn assholes

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

what i'm curious about is exactly how neo-nerv kept making all these large scale projects when it consisted of two elderly men and a bunch of teenage clones with no technical skills living in a ruined base. heck, most of those clones got decapitated! sure, a lot of it can be chalked up to automated production lines as seen in 3.33. other parts were pure artificial angel tech, which i'll give a pass due to seele and angels being so unearthly and all-around weird. but some of that stuff had to be researched and then put together manually instead of grown or mass-produced, such as the ships. those explicitly weren't finished when nerv as an organization with human staff fell apart.

I'm just gonna assume Gendo getting hallowed out and filled with arcane lore let him do most of it on his own

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I wonder what Asuka's status as a clone means for her original. Who I think she meets in her entry plug.. Was Asuka Soryu in unit 2? Is the Rebuild universe one were her mom actually managed to kill Asuka?

I think we only ever see a tiny look at the original Asuka, the like 3 or 4 year old Asuka who is watching Shinji cry in Berlin. Everything else we see is her from her last clone's perspective, which is interesting. It seems like when it's time for Asuka and Rei to talk to Shinji during not-Instrumentality they both have memories they shouldn't. Like Rei seems to be the Rei he saved in 3.0 (her hair at the very least suggests she's an older clone, her hair keeps growing like with Asuka), but she has a doll with the baby's name on it and says one of the phrases the Lookalike learned in the village to Shinji right before she leaves.

Also this isn't really a spoiler but Asuka marching around in her early plugsuit that looks like power armor was bad rear end

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Gauis wakes up on the beach from End of Eva

"Such devastation!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

The REAL Goobusters posted:

well I loving bought it. I still have my older versions on my pc with the og fly me to the moon endings. It really sucks they can't get the licensing on that. Like what the gently caress

Why?