Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Why is row 6 preferable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's a bulkhead seat (which depending on the 737 variant may still have underseat storage) with more legroom but the reason I like it is you get to board early with the MVP Gold passengers.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

bunnyofdoom posted:

Why is row 6 preferable?

It might be an EconomyPlus/Economy Comfort-type deal. I fly Delta quite a bit, and the first three rows on most narrowbodies have extra legroom and recline, along with some perks depending on the length of route (free IFE which might otherwise have been PPV, etc.).

Naturally, the seats are an upcharge unless you're an elite-level frequent flier.

e- ^^^ Never mind.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

This is good stuff.

Bottom line: Estimating high, $20k/yr to operate something in the C-172 class, flying about 200hrs/yr.

It costs more to operate a car if you drive "standard" mileage. So my second vehicle is gonna be a plane! Yay.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

This is good stuff.

Bottom line: Estimating high, $20k/yr to operate something in the C-172 class, flying about 200hrs/yr.

It costs more to operate a car if you drive "standard" mileage. So my second vehicle is gonna be a plane! Yay.

Does this have updated numbers? I remember using the aopa calculator and laughing when it figured 100LL at three bucks a gallon

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The AirTran/Southwest merger wasn't rainbows and happy unicorns for passengers like Southwest management said it would be? The government and DoJ are utterly incompetent in thinking it would be? You don't friggin' say!

http://www.aviationpros.com/news/11669037/fares-up-flights-down-as-airtran-prepares-to-depart

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I'm thinking about making a webapp that allows users to enter their flight plan, then automatically shows the most suitable divert fields based on criteria like services and runway length. Might draw the route with diverts on Gmaps too.

What's the best way to get this info? Ideally global, but US-only's fine for now. I'd need lat/lon for every navaid, and detailed info for each airfield. The FAA has an API that seems idea for this, but it (currently?) only shows basic airfield information and weather. It has a link to NFDC that has the data I'm looking for, but it's in a readable-website format, not a developer API. I could probably find a way to pull the data from it, but this isn't ideal.

I found a spreadsheet of UK Navaids with coordinates once. Something like that would help.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Dominoes posted:

I'm thinking about making a webapp that allows users to enter their flight plan, then automatically shows the most suitable divert fields based on criteria like services and runway length. Might draw the route with diverts on Gmaps too.

What's the best way to get this info? Ideally global, but US-only's fine for now. I'd need lat/lon for every navaid, and detailed info for each airfield. The FAA has an API that seems idea for this, but it (currently?) only shows basic airfield information and weather. It has a link to NFDC that has the data I'm looking for, but it's in a readable-website format, not a developer API. I could probably find a way to pull the data from it, but this isn't ideal.

I found a spreadsheet of UK Navaids with coordinates once. Something like that would help.

http://www.faa.gov/airports/airport_safety/airportdata_5010/

Not sure how much that has, but it looks like a start and doesn't require scraping data from another website.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 29, 2014

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Does anyone have experience with Insight G3 (or G4) engine monitors?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

NFDC comes in flat files, CSV iirc, that has basically all the information you will need and then some. Runway lengths and surface types, ILS categories, FBO facilities and contact along with services provided. If you need a more pointed push in the right direction, feel free to PM or email username@gmail.com

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Can't find the CSVs. It looks like you can download the data in a single zip valid for 56 days here.

Data's available in (improper UTF-8 encoded?) .txt files, and XML_based files called AIXM. I think the XML in these files may be what I need. It looks like I can also view it graphically in software called ATM viewer.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 30, 2014

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Are there liability concerns for such an application?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

A somewhat obscure question regarding FARAIM Part 67:
If I take an SSRI (Zoloft, Prozac, etc), how will that affect my chances of getting a Class 3? I've talked to AOPA, who have either said it wouldn't be a problem or you'll never fly, and I've heard the same set of things from AMEs. Is there anyone here who went through this who could share their experience?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

DNova posted:

I was recently made fun of for being so stiff about following checklists, and asking my passengers to shut up while in critical phases of flight. It made me feel like poo poo. :(

Punch that guy.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Spaced God posted:

If I take an SSRI (Zoloft, Prozac, etc), how will that affect my chances of getting a Class 3? I've talked to AOPA, who have either said it wouldn't be a problem or you'll never fly, and I've heard the same set of things from AMEs. Is there anyone here who went through this who could share their experience?

PM'd

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Spaced God posted:

From reading the FAA's stuff on the topic:

If you take one of the four specially approved SSRIs and have a stable medical history on them and your doctor is willing to certify that to the FAA, you can get a special waiver doo-dad.

If you don't take one of the four approved SSRIs or you don't have a stable history on them with a doctor to verify that, you're SOL.

If you're in therapy, you can't fly.

If you get your certificate and -then- start taking one of the four specially approved SSRIs, you can't fly for a year.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

hailthefish posted:

From reading the FAA's stuff on the topic:

If you take one of the four specially approved SSRIs and have a stable medical history on them and your doctor is willing to certify that to the FAA, you can get a special waiver doo-dad.

If you don't take one of the four approved SSRIs or you don't have a stable history on them with a doctor to verify that, you're SOL.

If you're in therapy, you can't fly.

If you get your certificate and -then- start taking one of the four specially approved SSRIs, you can't fly for a year.

Basically, the FAA does their best to make sure pilots who may have mental disorders go completely untreated.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
You'll need to be on 1 of the 4 approved medications for 1 year before you can get the waiver.

It also requires a specific diagnosis that I don't recall the name of. It's not an easy process, it can end careers, and it does in fact encourage professional aviators to hide mental illness.

These folks can help with your specific situation, or you can post on the AOPA forums for help from Dr Chien.

https://www.aviationmedicine.com

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I guess we're lucky we don't have mental breakdowns like that one JetBlue pilot a while back. That, or the process really does keep troubled people out. How do other countries handle this?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
Ordered a used Zulu2 off ebay this week. It arrived on Thursday and I got to fly 4 hours with it on Friday. Holy poo poo, this is what I've been missing out on?! That was the most comfortable flight of my life.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

CharlesM posted:

Are there liability concerns for such an application?

Let's make the world a better place. Lawyers can go gently caress themselves.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CharlesM posted:

I guess we're lucky we don't have mental breakdowns like that one JetBlue pilot a while back. That, or the process really does keep troubled people out. How do other countries handle this?

At a guess, I'd say other countries have small enough pilot populations that depressed pilots haven't been a problem, and they may have more sane medical rules than the FAA does.

Until the FAA changed their minds in 2010, their ban on antidepressants was based on side effects of drugs that were created in the 1960's and were largely off the market by the early 1980's. The current FAA policy is a step in the right direction, but there's still a huge incentive for professional pilots to either lie about taking antidepressants, or simply not seek the necessary professional help out of fear that that FAA might decide to subpoena their medical records.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
Next week I have a job interview at an aerial survey place and I was wondering if anyone had some good online resources as far as VFR mountain flying. I know that's an emphasis for the interview and as of now I have 0hours anywhere near a mountain

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Stupid Post Maker posted:

Next week I have a job interview at an aerial survey place and I was wondering if anyone had some good online resources as far as VFR mountain flying. I know that's an emphasis for the interview and as of now I have 0hours anywhere near a mountain

Best advice: Don't hit the mountain.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

I had a hard time with it. The instructors kept giving me poo poo for pitching up whenever we were near one. They couldn't grasp the fact that I did all my flying in the midwest where there is nothing that even resembles a mountain.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

The Mountain Flying Bible is a pretty good place to start. Get it at mountainflying.com.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
It's not my survey place, is it? pm me

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrChips posted:

The Mountain Flying Bible is a pretty good place to start. Get it at mountainflying.com.

This.

Also, if you're in Colorado and want to split some time I can take you out.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I would say mountain flying isn't much different from what you've already learned, just putting it all together can be surprisingly tricky. Weather for example can change pretty fast and MEAs being higher can restrict your options. Asos from the lowlands may not be representative. Single engine mountain flying means always trying to have a landing zone picked out and there are limited options. Density altitude and takeoff charts become a huge deal. If it's very windy (especially over 30 kts at alt) expect severe turbulence and downdrafts. Approach mountain ridges at a 45 degree angle so as to be able to break off easily. Counting canyons and blind canyon turn is something to practice with a CFI as with all of this advice.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Something needs to be said for trusting your airspeed indicator when landing. Your ground speed will be higher on final and your roll will be longer, but only the airspeed indicator counts.

I routinely fly airplanes at 6-11k feet DA.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Didn't see this in the thread, so apologies if it hasn't been covered, but it looks like Eagle's CR7s are off to PSA (e- in what they're referring to as "fleet consolidation" (PSA: CRJ, Envoy: Embraer)). Piedmont is apparently going to get jets of some sort as well.

Sorry to hear that for both the Eagle guys in the thread and a couple friends of mine, one of whom was the source for that. :( :respek: :(

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 4, 2014

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Just as I was starting to get the hang of French now I'm gonna have to learn Portuguese. Thanks Doug.

Edit:

quote:

Fellow Envoy Pilots,

The MEC is outraged by today’s announcement by AAG that all 47 of our CRJ-700 aircraft will be transferred to PSA. This action obviously and significantly punishes Envoy pilots for refusing to accept the additional concessions demanded by the company in exchange for larger aircraft. We are not aware of any plans to bring additional aircraft to Envoy. Therefore the company’s recent commitment to keep 200 aircraft on the property for the foreseeable future is no more credible than their promise to re-fleet Envoy as part of the bankruptcy contract.

We are evaluating the details related to the transfer of these aircraft to PSA. This action will eliminate the highest levels of compensation available under our contract.

Once again, we find ourselves wondering what the future holds for our carrier. The company has already announced their intention to park the remaining Embraer 140’s. Barring any additional aircraft, we will only be operating a fleet of 118 Embraer 145’s. This would require roughly 48% fewer pilots than are active on our seniority list today. We will provide you the company’s draw down schedule when they provide it to us.

The company has indicated that moving these aircraft to PSA is necessary to more efficiently focus operations on a single aircraft type. In reality, management’s decision clearly exploits the lower costs afforded by the 10 year agreement ratified last fall by our colleagues at PSA.

We understand this is a very stressful time for all of us. Many of you have inquired about the status of our previously advertised career progression resources. The MEC will receive a briefing next Tuesday, the 9th, from ALPA National regarding the rollout of these resources, and details will be communicated as we get them.

Bill Sprague
MEC Chairman

Anyone want to hire a ~3000 hour pilot with 0 turbine PIC?

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 4, 2014

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I'm guessing that move probably makes it more likely that Piedmont will take the 10 year contract they're being offered, since a good chunk of their currently fleet is set to time out in the next few years, and they're being offered shiny jets in exchange for concessions.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
PDT needs to be careful. That contract has some HUGE loopholes in it. Of course since pilots will sell out their own children for a minor pay increase it'll pass.

Pilots really are their own worst enemies.

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004
Dominating trivia at M.85

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

SCOTLAND posted:

Dominating trivia at M.85

Are your airline's trivia questions impossible like the ones on Delta's IFE?

And is that in the crew rest area? Looks cramped.

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

Are your airline's trivia questions impossible like the ones on Delta's IFE?

And is that in the crew rest area? Looks cramped.

The trivia isn't one of the ones where it kills off answers as it progresses, and I found it fairly hard.

And yeah, the crew bunk on the 787 is way smaller than on the 777 for example. That pic was taken from the seat looking at the foot of the two bunks.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Finished my first recurrent training yesterday for the Q400.

Aside from screwing up an emergency checklist on the last day (it branches into two sections, I somehow followed the wrong part) and forgetting how physically exhausting two hours of V2 cuts, single engine approaches, and missed approaches are, it went really well, and since I get to go back and do the exact same scenario in six months, the second time around should be pretty straightforward.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Dominoes posted:

Can't find the CSVs. It looks like you can download the data in a single zip valid for 56 days here.

Data's available in (improper UTF-8 encoded?) .txt files, and XML_based files called AIXM. I think the XML in these files may be what I need. It looks like I can also view it graphically in software called ATM viewer.
I found all the info for the US I needed from the FAA NFDC AIXMs. I'd like to get this working for the UK too - does anyone know of an equivalent data set for the UK, preferably in the same AIXM format?

For ref, the AIXMs are huge XML files updated every 56 days by the FAA. They include very detailed information on all FAA-controlled navaids, airports/heliports, runways, fixes, airways etc.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Congrats on finishing recurrent, azflyboy.
One of my friends is going through training at QX right now, another at Compass.

I think I'm still leaning towards going to Compass, Horizon or Skywest.

• Locked thread