Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazzahn
Jul 3, 2007

Did you just say awesome?
First overnight flight in the new airplane:

Camped out at 2B3 in New Hampshire. I recommend it if anybody is in the area. They also have a good Mexican place right off the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Plane camping sounds awesome.

I got offered an internship at Flight Safety the other day, which I accepted. Seems like a great place to get my foot in some doors.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Jazzahn posted:

First overnight flight in the new airplane:

Camped out at 2B3 in New Hampshire. I recommend it if anybody is in the area. They also have a good Mexican place right off the field.

This is awesome. I miss GA so bad. I should have done something for a living that allowed me to small a GA plane and a tent and I would live my life between airfields with cheap avgas.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Rolo posted:

Plane camping sounds awesome.

I got offered an internship at Flight Safety the other day, which I accepted. Seems like a great place to get my foot in some doors.

Find people who can get you a job at a corporate gig and become their new best friend. Airline jobs will be a dime a dozen the next 10 years. Corporate gigs not so much.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
From all the (justified) griping I've read in this thread over years from you commercial folk I'm starting to think you're all going about this whole flying thing wrong. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2zuxOur-Ro (ignore the commentary from whomever that is)

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Duke Chin posted:

From all the (justified) griping I've read in this thread over years from you commercial folk I'm starting to think you're all going about this whole flying thing wrong. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2zuxOur-Ro (ignore the commentary from whomever that is)

"STRAIGHT DOWN" :laugh:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AWSEFT posted:

Need a chart for aviation videos like the "all guns are AKs" one. "Straight down" = -5 degree attitude or something.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

AWSEFT posted:

hah yep, hence the (ignore the commentary) caveat. :v: It's still fun as heck to watch wide-bodies-used-as-bombers - especially when they're based out of my teeny hometown/airport.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
Landed that aerial survey job. Starts up in 2 weeks. I'm looking forward to it

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I've got two angry Envoy F/Os on my Facebook feed but didn't want to piss them off by asking what specifically was up, so I went to Airliners.net and saw Piedmont passed a new contract. Oh boy.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

I've got two angry Envoy F/Os on my Facebook feed but didn't want to piss them off by asking what specifically was up, so I went to Airliners.net and saw Piedmont passed a new contract. Oh boy.

PDT agreed to a lovely contract. They're going to be the lowest paid 175 operators in the industry, and don't see a single cent in pay raise until they get one into revenue service which is at MINIMUM 1.5 years away. Probably more considering AAG still has airplanes to give to RAH and then another 20 to Compass before any go to PDT. It's an improvement on what they had but they still sold out for cheap.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
I do not envy career pilots starting out. I admire the hell out of you guys for sticking it through to just fly though. I'm guessing when contracts like that get through they know people will agree to it anyways because of that?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Tommy 2.0 posted:

I do not envy career pilots starting out. I admire the hell out of you guys for sticking it through to just fly though. I'm guessing when contracts like that get through they know people will agree to it anyways because of that?

It depends on the airline. Piedmont has a substantial portion of their fleet that will time out with the next couple of years, which means that furloughs would be pretty likely without new airplanes. Eagle and ExpressJet both voted down a very similar lovely contract earlier this year, which lead to American retaliating by giving Eagle's airplanes to PSA, and Peidmont will get shiny jets for voting in a poo poo contract as well.

What annoys a lot of people is that by agreeing to these contracts, those pilot groups are perceived as driving down wages and benefits for every other regional pilot, since those lovely contracts will be considered the "industry standard" by airline management when pilot contracts come up for renewal.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

azflyboy posted:

What annoys a lot of people is that by agreeing to these contracts, those pilot groups are perceived as driving down wages and benefits for every other regional pilot, since those lovely contracts will be considered the "industry standard" by airline management when pilot contracts come up for renewal.

We at envoy were threatened with being shut down unless we agreed to "get our costs in line with endeavor." Despite the fact that our company was making record profits and endeavor voted in their contract because failure to do so would have meant liquidation. Now that PSA and PDT have sold themselves out they have proven to AAG that there are pilots out there willing to fly what should be mainline airplanes for sub-stardard 50 seat rates so that's what AAG is going to look for in any future contracts. It's not a perception, it's reality.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Finally got my commercial multi (add-on) last tuesday, one step closer to getting out of instructing...AWSEFT, update the OP if you don't mind :c00l:

Too bad I did the checkride in this dumb thing:

(I'm talking about the Tecnam, not the badass Harrier behind it)

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Congrats!

Butt Reactor posted:

this dumb thing:

I demand to know more about that dumb thing. Like why it's a dumb thing.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

KodiakRS posted:

Congrats!

I demand to know more about that dumb thing. Like why it's a dumb thing.

It's a pretty neat dumb thing. I have an unreasonable lust for one.

In a nutshell, twin rotax with the performance of a 182.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
Are you hosed if you lose an engine in that thing? Like more hosed than in another light twin? Wiki says it has a whopping 98 hp

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rickety Cricket posted:

Are you hosed if you lose an engine in that thing? Like more hosed than in another light twin? Wiki says it has a whopping 98 hp

Has a 7k ceiling iirc.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Rickety Cricket posted:

Performance wise it looks similar to the PA-44 so when you lose an engine it turns into a half decent glider that makes a lot of noise and doesn't want to fly straight. On the plus side, it's probably really drat hard to vMC roll the thing.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 18, 2014

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

e.pilot posted:

It's a pretty neat dumb thing. I have an unreasonable lust for one.

In a nutshell, twin rotax with the performance of a 182.

Pretty much, it has almost the same V speeds as the PA28R I used to fly.

Rickety Cricket posted:

e.pilot posted:

Has a 7k ceiling iirc.

In Utah during the summer, it's bad. Like really loving bad. Like so bad some of the instructors refuse to fly it during the day due to density altitude concerns. Plus the maintenance issues and parts scarcity from it being an airplane no one has ever seen before doesn't make flying it any easier. The power per engine is only 92.5hp continuous, with 98 hp at takeoff.

I can't believe we have three of the dumb things, I guess the cheaper sticker price and capability to use mogas was better than buying a couple used Senecas :cry:

KodiakRS posted:

Performance wise it looks similar to the PA-44 so when you lose an engine it turns into a half decent glider that makes a lot of noise and doesn't want to fly straight. On the plus side, it's probably really drat hard to vMC roll the thing.

Previous ranting aside, it's a really docile airplane to fly. I took my checkride having only flown 3-4 hours in it...granted, that was after the 7 hours I started with in a 1960ish Cessna 310 :black101:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I'm officially starting my instrument rating training and complex endorsement tomorrow. :toot:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

e.pilot posted:

I'm officially starting my instrument rating training and complex endorsement tomorrow. :toot:

Foggles, hood or jeppshades?

This is important.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Just cover the windshield with a sectional chart.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

Foggles, hood or jeppshades?

This is important.

Black Blockalls.

http://blockalls.com

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Captain Apollo posted:

Just cover the windshield with a sectional chart.

You joke about it, but no poo poo there is a local DFTE (Designated Flight Test Examiner) who actually does this.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
.... then who is safety pilot?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

The Slaughter posted:

.... then who is safety pilot?

In her head, ATC is the safety pilot. I've only ever heard of her doing this on rides only (to my knowledge), but I guaran-loving-tee she does this in IFR training too. Man even thinking about her still pisses me off a lot.

E: not that doing that sort of thing on a filed IFR flight is even a remotely good idea anyway.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 19, 2014

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

MrChips posted:

In her head, ATC is the safety pilot. I've only ever heard of her doing this on rides only (to my knowledge), but I guaran-loving-tee she does this in IFR training too. Man even thinking about her still pisses me off a lot.

E: not that doing that sort of thing on a filed IFR flight is even a remotely good idea anyway.

It's....so illegal. You can't DO that.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I do it all the time

I especially do it when I need to stay instrument current but I can't find anybody to fly with.

I mean I cancel IFR after a few approaches so I hope everybody is seeing and avoiding me.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

It's....so illegal. You can't DO that.

It boggles the mind how stupid and willfully ignorant this woman is. Formal complaints never made it too far either because her husband was the head DFTE for the region. Back when I was safety officer for a flight school/charter company, I flat out refused to let anyone in the company, employees or clients, fly with her in any capacity. Didn't meet too much resistance on that either.

E: What really bothered me about her was that she felt she was right and would angrily and vocally try to justify her decisions constantly. Any time anyone woould call her out on her bullshit, she would have an absolute poo poo hemmorage and shout and wail at you until she was satisfied you heard enough. Like I said, it got to the point that we just didn't want anything to do with her, from a personal as well as a professional perspective.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 19, 2014

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Ummmmmm....Apollo you do what?

FAR 91 posted:

(c) No person may operate a civil aircraft in simulated instrument flight unless—

(1) The other control seat is occupied by a safety pilot who possesses at least a private pilot certificate with category and class ratings appropriate to the aircraft being flown.

(2) The safety pilot has adequate vision forward and to each side of the aircraft, or a competent observer in the aircraft adequately supplements the vision of the safety pilot; and

FAR 61 posted:

c) Instrument experience. Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command under IFR or in weather conditions less than the minimums prescribed for VFR, unless within the preceding 6 calendar months, that person has:

For the purpose of obtaining instrument experience in an aircraft (other than a glider), performed and logged under actual or simulated instrument conditions, either in flight in the appropriate category of aircraft for the instrument privileges sought or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of the aircraft category for the instrument privileges sought --

I can't tell if you were being sarcastic or not but there is no way to legally log an approach that was not conducted in ACTUAL IMC without a safety pilot.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
One of the Brazilian Airbus pilots on youtube did a compilation video a while back cutting back and forth between the Bus and his training days, and sure enough he's on an IFR flight with a big old shade on his half of the windscreen.

(To be clear I don't mean a see through sun visor, I mean the reflective thing you put in your window to keep your car from heating up)

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

KodiakRS posted:

Ummmmmm....Apollo you do what?

I can't tell if you were being sarcastic or not...

Then I guess you haven't been here long enough. Welcome to SomethingAwful Aviation Discussion. Just stop before you embarrass yourself.

(I'm being serious, don't engage Apollo on anything ever, you should know better)

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 19, 2014

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I mean , does anybody really check logbooks to make sure the weather was really IFR that day.

Whose got the time?!?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Captain Apollo posted:

I mean , does anybody really check logbooks to make sure the weather was really IFR that day.

Whose got the time?!?

Trust your instruments imo.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

MrChips posted:

It boggles the mind how stupid and willfully ignorant this woman is. Formal complaints never made it too far either because her husband was the head DFTE for the region. Back when I was safety officer for a flight school/charter company, I flat out refused to let anyone in the company, employees or clients, fly with her in any capacity. Didn't meet too much resistance on that either.

E: What really bothered me about her was that she felt she was right and would angrily and vocally try to justify her decisions constantly. Any time anyone woould call her out on her bullshit, she would have an absolute poo poo hemmorage and shout and wail at you until she was satisfied you heard enough. Like I said, it got to the point that we just didn't want anything to do with her, from a personal as well as a professional perspective.

Anybody have any other check instructor horror stories worth sharing?

My second stage check (of three) during Private at my pilot mill was done with a guy nearing 30 who had a penchant for being pissy, and who I later referred to in my own mind as "S___ The Dick" (if you've watched South Park, you'll figure out the first name).

We went up on a somewhat crappy Fall morning (overcast, but VFR, windy and bumpy as all get out). On the cross-country portion, it was revealed that I'd forgotten to check the Winds Aloft before we went. Something in retrospect I know I should've done, but god drat did he crawl up my rear end. "YOU DIDN'T CHECK THE WINDS ALOFT?!?!?!?!?!". We then did the diversion off the "XC", which included a time/speed/distance calcuation on the E6B. I gave him my estimate, and was met with "Yeah, we'll see. You'd BETTER be right.". I nailed it, which felt irrationally good. :smug:

At the 61 school where I finished Instrument, the local examiner had a reputation for being an rear end in a top hat, to the point where my first instructor at the school (who moved to Arizona during my training) started steering her students away from him to another guy at an airport 10 miles away. The CFII I finished with was the Chief for the school (and the best II I could've ever imagined. drat, she was awesome.) gave me some tips as to how he did his checkrides and set me up on a "progress check" with him, which she did to let the students feel him out before the big day, but that didn't make it less of a rough ride.

On the takeoff roll, I called "Airspeed alive", which I'd been told to do since early in Private. That was met with an I DON'T CARE. Good start with Cpt. Happy. Once I leveled off on the way to the VOR for the hold and ensuing ILS, I cruised out the plane as per the checklist. He slammed the throttle back to full. I again walked it back to cruise. He again slammed it in and wouldn't let me trim to keep straight and level. So now, I'm trying to maintain altitude within PTS WHILE tracking the VOR. Not as easy as it sounds, and I twice flirted with +100. "Do it again and I'm gonna fail you." Well, yeah, I figured that would be the case, but it doesn't get the knot out of my stomach. So, I gather myself back together, do alright on the hold, nail the ILS, do well on the GPS, and have the LOC interrupted on short final, when he has us go around because of somebody on the runway and goes into a rant about how much he hates CTAF.

I was afraid he'd find a reason to bust me at the very end despite me being under the hood and him being safety pilot going into our uncontrolled airport on the LOC, but he said "This isn't part of the lesson. You did fine on that one.". We landed, taxied in, and all he grumbled out was "I'll go start the paperwork.". I...I hope to hell that's not me having to do it again. (It wasn't.)

e- He was doing a multi lesson and about ran over me in the pattern one day despite me giving position reports. Remember kids: even examiners aren't perfect.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 19, 2014

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Despite taking something like 15+ checkrides myself and signing students off for at least 50 more I have yet to run into a truly bad examiner. Even the ones that had reputations as being ball busters weren't a problem.

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
Stop ganging up on Apollo. You can't and shouldn't expect a flight instructor to maintain a working knowledge of incredibly basic flight regulations that are basically standard internationally, let alone freely admit such things on a semi-public internet forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I for one want to thank Captain Apollo. See, if that guy can get a license, I should have no problem with my flight test. Thanks man!

• Locked thread