Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

azflyboy posted:

Yes, but was he cut loose like a deuce, another runner in the night?

I know you can't hear it from here but I'm seriously :golfclap:'ing for you right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Like, Harrison Ford wealthy.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

KodiakRS posted:

Ah yes, the DVT effect. It's not just limited to student pilots either:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWDEIvjwaFU

:aaaaa: + :ughh: I don't know how you guys don't lose your poo poo more often.

vvvv hah, gotch. vvvv

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 5, 2013

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Did Laguardia just get suddenly lovely or is my gate agent full of it right now? Was just about to board out of O'Hare and whoops there's and extra hour + because of "weather at... The place." (his quote not mine)

I just want to get there and go to sleep :v:

Fake e: oh wait it's the aviation megathread not bitch about the major carriers thread. :D

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

KodiakRS posted:

Snow pics!

(Pic is from last year, but is pretty much what it looked like in ORD a few days ago)

Was just in ORD a couple days ago and can confirm your last year's pic with a this year's:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Jealous Cow posted:

It's interesting how far apart in estimates different schools can be. Premier Flight Academy estimates $6k on the outside for full zero to PPL, while the school at Elyria (http://www.premierflightacademy.com/tuition-fees.htm) estimates almost $10k.

Although $10k does include a late-model 172SP with a G1000.

Sweet Jeeeebus do I wish rotary-wing training was that cheap. :sigh:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

CraZy GrinGo posted:

Decided to celebrate two of my best students passing their Instrument checkrides by taking a long sight seeing trip across northern Arizona. Route of flight was PRC-T03-PGA-U96-0V7-FLG-PRC. Took a bunch of pictures as well as some GoPro footage, though I haven't taken a look at the video yet. It felt great to get away from the Prescott area for a while!

Post a supercut of the video sometime soon and so help me if you put (any) terrible music over the top of the natural audio so help me :argh:

:v:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
So how big is the TFR over NJ/met life today? :v:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

CBJSprague24 posted:

with some exceptions for alums of selected aviation schools.
Whooooooa I hadn't heard of this part lemme guess is it

The Slaughter posted:

The exemptions they carved out for Riddle/UND are absolute horseshit, however.

...Yep. Of course. :ughh: God that screams typical-reactionary-lawmaking-but-get-your-special-interests-in-while-it's-hot bullshit.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

xaarman posted:

Hire only military pilots to the major airlines.

Absolutely. And make sure it's this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1a8_EM_bKc

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

ausgezeichnet posted:

Dumb shits come in both military and civilian versions.

Oh they definitely do. And I didn't mean for my post to pick on Mil folks at all. That one always just sticks out in my mind because he was hotdogging AND he almost wiped out a bunch of soldiers on the ground. :mad: And he wiped out a perfectly good 64D.

I've always been curious as to any follow up from that crash but have never been able to find anything.

ed: Also, nobody died in my video, thank god/deity/whathaveyou.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 29, 2014

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

azflyboy posted:

Combined with the fact that flares are limited to about 5 degrees (tailstrikes ensue at 6) and the fact that the power levers are very touchy at low power settings, my first few landings in the airplane were better defined as "arrivals".

I have to fly on Dash-8's all the time (Horizon) and daaaaaaang, I guess I never really noticed how far back that rear end goes from the mains vs. the pitch angle. Yeesh.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 3, 2014

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Animal posted:

Those are actually readable now!!!

I fail to see how blue-on-blue-on-blue print could possibly be a problem... :colbert:

:v:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Some of those sideways shots, at low res, don't even look real. Reminds me of like 40's, 50's-era hollywood films where they'd project the landscape behind their static cockpit. :v: Particularly around the 2-minute mark in that first vid.

That would be a blast to go up in one of those for sure!

E: is there anyone still doing these sorts of flights and do they ever get up to Seattle/KBFI?

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 13, 2014

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

If I read this whole thing am I going to get mad? Because just from the first paragraph alone in an article about an event where TCAS did what it was supposed to then scrolling down and seeing :siren: TENERIFE :siren: makes me feel like I'm going to get mad.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

DNova posted:

I couldn't help myself.

I just hope you prefaced it with "...well then you're going to love this!"

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Bob A Feet posted:

V-22's out of MCAS New River.

Neat - so how does that work? Do you have to do any helicopter training beforehand or are they going to throw you straight in?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
I've only ever been in autos in a teeny little schwezier 300C (full down) and seen videos of many other aircraft doing either power recovery or full downs - And I've always been kind of :stonk: after seeing an H-53 and S-92 do a full down.

Bell's, MD's and EC's: whatever, it's not a hard landing as long as they keep airspeed and rotor energy and don't ball it up. Seeing the fat bastards autorotate and land is neat, though: they have to flare pretty hard. I've kind of always wanted to see a Chinook do it, though.

There's tons and tons of autorotation vids on ye olde youtube.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Rolo posted:

I've been doing a lot of flights for Pilots N Paws lately and I think I need to stop. I almost adopted a dog today simply because of how cool it was in the plane.

Plus I'd have to name it some insufferable aviation related name.

Propwash
Drag
Immelmann
Chandelle
if it's a little frou frou thing
Whitcomb

I dare you to name a dog Prandtl-Glauert

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
He said "insufferable aviation related" names, not good/decent names I mean come on you're not even trying! :v:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

hobbesmaster posted:

To shamelessly steal a joke from the other thread: Looked like a good trap to me. :confused:

I'd figure actually landing in the sand (you can see it getting kicked up) would be the equivalent of hitting the fantail. At best it was the #1 wire.

also you stole the best joke in a long time from that thread :D

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
I can't remember, but is one of you guys here flying for horizon out of seatac? The fo of this Q400 looks like what I'd imagine a goon pilot would look like :D

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

azflyboy posted:

That would be me. I'm not based out of Seattle, but pretty much every Horizon crew passes through there at least a couple times per trip.

You ever do the sea-mfr route? Like... This morning?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

azflyboy posted:

I've done it a couple of times, but not today.

Welp there goes my opportunity to say that I was spirited away by a goon. :v: Unless you have mfr back north on Sunday morning hah

Hope you've never had to stay here before: meddy sucks.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

KodiakRS posted:

PDX and SEA are only 2.5 hours apart by car. If I lived in one and was based in another I'd probably just drive it. It's probably only slightly slower than commuting and you're never going to get left behind or miss the last flight of the night.

The slog is awful and you will want to kill yourself between JBLM and Tacoma regardless of which direction you're going. Take it from someone who's lived for years in both cities and dated someone in the other. I've made that drive more times than i want to count.

Curious, though: how many times would you have to make that "commute"?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Bob A Feet posted:

I guess having props is nice for that reason. No problems ever slowing down!

(cause you're already slow ha ha ha)

I just started ground training for the V-22. No aero lessons yet so my mind hasn't been completely blown but jesus christ the systems :stare: I'm just glad its all computer controlled lets say that.

When you get done training you sure as poo poo better adhere a gopro somewhere on your mellon for some sweet sweet in-action-TO and landing footage. :colbert:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Weren't Mil pilots flying the OH-58 / Kiowa Warrior airframes getting completely screwed after they got out and the FAA wasn't counting all of those flight hours because ... reasons? I thought I had heard of something like that back a couple years ago.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
You just need to land :rimshot: an AW-609 corporate ferry gig when you get out.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 9, 2014

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

invision posted:

Well, that guy's sweet helicopter pics convinced me to sign up for a demo ride in an r-22. Seeing as how it's an R-22, I'll probably die a fiery death when it falls out of the sky, but I've never been up in a helo before. I have like an hour in a 172 and an hour in a traumahawk, so I really wanna see what helos are like before I blow big sums of money on airplaning around for fun.

It's crazy fun and crazy expensive. Do it.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

invision posted:

Helicopter flying trip report: Holy poo poo was that amazing. Seriously. Way more fun than the 172 and tomahawk I've flown. I know where all of my money is going now.

My condolences to your future poverty. :cheers: :v: What did you guys do on your demo flight?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

CBJSprague24 posted:

If Amazon launches a fleet of those to deliver small packages, what's the over/under on how long it takes for some dickbag to shoot one down?

HOOBOY, WHO NEEDS DUCKS? WE GOT THEM METAL SUMBITCHES TO SHOOT AT NAW!

Considering we've had a guy shoot a shotgun at a paraglider that came over came "too close" to his property I'd say... first week of actual commercial service.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

bunnyofdoom posted:

"Only if the captain has had his tradition mid morning scotch."

*hasn't.

:rimshot:

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 17, 2014

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

fknlo posted:

Right now it's looking like the separatists used a "captured" long range SAM truck that totally doesn't exist because they're deleting any prior mentions of it from twitter.

"captured", "borrowed", "loaned", "gifted", "potentially manned by Russian regulars", y'know... whatever. I haven't gone over to the other thread yet but like CBJSprague: It took my brain a good 20 seconds or so to click in "wtf is M370 doing up ther-ohhhhh... poo poo." This is bad.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

CBJSprague24 posted:

My thought process:

"MH, wait, they found 370 in Ukraine? How the hell did--Oh, they're saying MH17. Another Malaysian Airlines crash? Jesus, when it rains it po--shot down by a god drat missile? Like KAL007 Redux? Yep..." :stare:

That would be the LP to my EP thought pattern right there... :(:respek::(

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Poroshenko welcomed U.S. accident/incident investigators, according to Biden early today soooo... looks like.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/17/us-ukraine-crisis-airplane-evidence-idUSKBN0FM2YL20140717

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

fknlo posted:

Good thing the crash site hasn't had rebels and locals all over it. I've heard reports of people looting bodies and taking pieces for scrap already.

Poor residents gotta find that valuable scrap *cough*missile fragments*cough* metal to destroy sell for scrap.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Hughes 369D went down up here today - and from reading the history on that particular heli the should probably just shoot it and put it out of it's misery. Though I think the pilot actually just did that today. He's alive but probably hurting. :(

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/2014/07/helicopter-reportedly-goes-down-in-snohomish-county/

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Photos-Chopper-crashes-near-Oso-268157592.html

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

CharlesM posted:

Sounds like he'll be okay.

Which reminds me, have there been any updates on the KOMO (Space Needle) crash?

That's good to hear - As far as the KOMO crash: I haven't heard a peep in a long while. I'm actually trying to find follow ups on it but results are currently being obfuscated by yesterday's crash, the shot down Malaysian plane and old stories from the event itself.

Oh yeah, and probably because... Another crash today. :(

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Pilot-killed-in-orchard-helicopter-crash-in-Wenatchee-268355082.html

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

The Locator posted:

Umm...

What the hell? That seems like a stupidly expensive way to 'dry cherry trees'. And in Washington? Don't they get rained on pretty much every day?

What EpicPhoton said: "The Rain" begins on the coast and ends at the Cascade Mountain Range. Wenatchee is on the leeward side and it starts drying out pretty hard from there out to the east. Out of nowhere we got a craaaaap load of rain really quickly today and it was blowing over there. I mean, [INSERT "ha ha it rains in Seattle" JOKE HERE] but it usually mellows out from July 5th onward. :shrug: But even all the forest fire area even farther east is under a flash flood watch today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

concise posted:

Don't forget the enormous nuclear wasteland!

We don't talk about Hanford or any of the dozens hundres of Superfund™ sites around here.

• Locked thread