Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

quote:

She fell when the party attempted to negotiate with a balor who had taken another PC's family hostage. The demon had just begun to explain its demands - which, if she'd let him finish, involved foiling the plans of a rival demon lord and were perfectly acceptable for a paladin to perform - when she got that look in her eye.

Pally: "I summon my mount as a swift action [Feat] and charge with my lance!"
Me: "Really?"
Wizard (in character): "Hold, friend! Those demons ex-"
Pally: *rolls a nat 20, confirms with an 18*
Wizard: "-plode."

The poor balor never had a chance - she took the Great Smiting feat several times, had Spirited Charge and Dire Charge, and was using a valorous lance. The resulting blast left her mostly unscathed, but the wizard's family was dust. She ended up falling hard and spent the next few in-game months doing atonement quests - mostly hostage rescue, culminating in taking a level of gray guard so she could sneak/bluff her way into Dis and rescue wrongly imprisoned souls. We ended up with a paladin who was just as angry at the world... but willing to be subtle about it sometimes.

What is with the idea that paladins should fall if they unknowingly do something bad, the code of conduct listed in 3E explicitly states that they gotta willfully do something evil or grossly violate the code in order to fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Regarding a dude that killed a 3-year-old (what the gently caress) in a fight because of Confusion:

quote:

I think it's pretty clear cut- he loses all his abilities until he seeks atonement. The longer he whines that it's not his fault and the longer he isn't sorry for what has happened, the longer he loses his powers.

You also might want to point out that whether the player is sorry or not, his character must be truly repentant for the spell to work, as per first sentence of spell.

Just show him the rules AND show him how to fix it. He may whine but you've shown him the way and all he has to do is follow. He can use the money saved from the Atonement to pay for a Raise Dead- also a 5th level cleric spell.

And then this little gem pops up in a different thread

quote:

So my player is running a Paladin, he's a pretty nice guy. Does a lot of good for the community, but I know he could be doing more. And this makes me angry since he's not living up to the perfect standards of what I believe for the class, so I've got a bit of an axe to grind.

So he's scouting for the party in the woods, and ahead of him is a pretty well hidden pit trap. He doesn't spot it, so he can't avoid it. The reflex save is DC 25, and he in total gets a 25.

So I came here to ask you people of the boards: Did this paladin fall...into a pit and take 2d6 falling damage?

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

I want magic to feel magical and the first step to doing that is to make the mundane seem physically and logically possible.

Because the first word I use to describe adventurers who don't use magic is 'mundane.'

"What, you just slaughter dozens of creatures a day without sustaining any real lasting harm? Fuckin mudblood get away from me you goddamn mundane"

For content:

quote:

I suppose the reason the wizard/fighter balance breaks down is because the DM is too easy on the party. You have the harry the players, put them in dangerous situations, throw big monsters at them non-stop, so that casters do run out of spells. Players just assume they'll get a good night's sleep every night, and have a peaceful hour in the morning over biscuits and coffee to prepare their magic. Bah! What is this, Continental Breakfast & Dragons? Put them in a goblin filled dungeon where every moment is filled with peril and spells are precious commodities to escape otherwise deadly situations, and monsters don't take breaks at night just so your wizard can get his shut eye. I don't even get eight hours of sleep a night and I'm just some guy, not a legendary hero being pursued by the forces of darkness.

Because all of this will only serve to make casters cast spells and none of this will harm the other party members

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

I didn't know about this character until now but I have to say I'm impressed with how Paizo handled it.

Of course they were just pushing an agenda:

quote:

The question is: Is Paizo pushing a pro-LGBT agenda on it's customers with the inclusion of a lesbian coule (one of whom was born a male).

I'm voting "yay". First of all because the point is to take a side, no sitting on the fence. Second, there is no real point (from what I read) to the one character being transgendered. What's the point? Her entire backstory makes no sense and doesn't contribute to the module. I don't care if the backstory is that she is transgender or if she is from the moon; whats the point of a backstory if it has no impact on the story or the individual character?

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

quote:

Decriers of 4e often aruged, "There's no roleplaying in 4e!" I disliked this argument and strongly opposed it at first. No roleplaying? There's as much roleplaying in a roleplaying game as you want there to be. Just because the vast majority of 4e's rules governed combat doesn't mean that the game somehow prevented you from roleplaying as much as you did in 3.5e.

But it's upon reading through the Basic Rules that I finally get it. I finally get why so many people said there was no roleplaying in 4e - because there's so much of it in 5e.

The problem isn't the roleplaying - it never was. The lack of roleplaying was a symptom - a symptom of a lack of flavor written into the rulebooks, a lack of focus on elements that encourage roleplaying. And, ultimately, a lack of focus on the very heart of D&D.

• Locked thread