Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Dinosaur is not a creature type in Magic: The Gathering.

That this is a Lizard and not a Dinosaur really pisses off this one dude.

quote:

quote:

what you call favoritism most people call "making a creative branding choice".
A truly great decision, what with dinosaurs being available for everyone to reference anyway, for monsters like dragons and vampires being referenced all the frakking time anyway, and dinosaurs being instantly recognizable anyway and losing a bit of their distinctness if they're treated as mechanically indistinguishable from creatures they aren't close to scientifically or in folklore outside of the early days of the paleontological field. Truly, a masterstroke of "branding".

Good god finding Magic grog is hard because most of it is so banal compared to caring so much about dinosaurs not being clearly labeled dinosaurs. I don't get to post much in here anymore as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Guilty Spork posted:

Wow but that "The Dongion" site is awful. It's basically the RPG world's answer to Fox News' failed attempts at making a conservative version of The Daily Show.

I feel like comparing. Let's take an Onion headline and first paragraph:

quote:

Dollar Tree CEO Officially Unveils Long-Rumored Foil Baking Pan
CHESAPEAKE, VA—At a highly anticipated launch event Tuesday, Dollar Tree CEO Bob Sasser ended months of fervent speculation over the latest phase of the national discount chain’s massively popular and influential kitchen products line by unveiling the company’s new foil baking pan.

Ah, it's a parody of those big expos like video games and Apple have! I found it silly.

What about the Dongion?

quote:

WOTC Announces Confirmation Bias Con For Summer 2014
In a press release this evening, Wizards of the Coast--manufacturers of Dungeons & Dragons--announced your summer will feature a lot of people repeating things they've been saying about a game they've never read for the last two years.

...Uh.

Let's compare images here. Part of the joy of The Onion is that they have amazing pictures to punctuate the headlines, like so:

What about the Dungion?

Notice how there's nothing there. That's as much as the Dungion put.

Onion!

quote:

Area Man Can Remember Exactly Where He Was, What He Was Doing When He Assassinated John F. Kennedy
LANGLEY, VA—Saying that he will never forget the events of that fateful day, local man Edgar Denton, 81, told reporters Friday that, five decades later, he could still recall exactly where he was and what he was doing the day he shot and killed former U.S. president John F. Kennedy.

I hope you see the joke here because if I have to explain it...

Dungion?

quote:

White People Complaining About Dark Elves Still Not Dead In Fire
Evidence released by authorities early this week reveals that, despite widespread outcry, various white people--including Joe McDaldno, author of a game about underage teen goth sex werewolves--are still complaining about the anthropology of fake elves and still not all dead yet.

This is just byzantine. I feel like there's some prerequisite reading in order to understand exactly what the writer is crying about here. Something involving Drow? And this guy doesn't like them? And even if I did I can still tell it wouldn't be funny at all.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Finding good Magic grog is so hard. I could post poo poo like this:

quote:

Legacy and Vintage are degenerate unfun places full of land-destruction, combos, and free counters.

But how is anyone with only a casual awareness in the game going to comprehend all that is incorrect here?

This is the best I can do after so many dives, because I can do that sarcastic restating thing.

quote:

EDH (the real one, four person FFA): need to gather people, games can last hours, politics (especially when illogical) may ruin the game

"My extremely narrow definition of an informal casual format causes the casual format to have problems."

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

quote:

Women sexualize themselves in real life way more often than they do in card games.

I'm not sure how they do it. I'm guessing irl women wear even smaller bronze boob cups?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Are these people serious? Her armor has nipples. She's not wearing pants.

Still better than half of elfgame art because at least her chest is covered and her spine isn't impossibly twisted.

Magic grog!

quote:

Getting rid of mana burn was one of the most idiotic changes to the game, though it's also one of the fairly few really idiotic changes to the game. The real purpose of mana burn--drat that silly "memory" garbage from Garfield--is to punish the player for making boneheaded mistakes or for simple excess. [...] It is far more likely the removal was done solely because whoever responsible probably kept losing to it.

"The only reason this rule was removed was because someone high up was butthurt."

quote:

All rules in this game exist to force people to remember them. The day you forget that is the day you stop playing Magic. The day you hate that is the day you should stop playing Magic. There is a reason why we have a very large comprehensive document of rules, and that reason is not "complexity".

"Magic has a lot of rules, so Magic should have even more rules. Don't like it? Quit. :smug:"

• Locked thread