Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Mary Hamilton posted:

D&D's co-creator Gary Gygax, with his insistence on the system’s inflexibility and his beliefs about the primacy of the game master, would barely recognise some of the games his work has spawned. His game has changed too; the hugely popular third edition has birthed a rival spinoff, Pathfinder, that remains more popular than its heavily redesigned fourth edition, which brought a more videogame-y feel to its class system and combat and in the process alienated players who loved the crunchy complexity and imbalance of earlier systems.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/03/happy-40th-birthday-to-dungeons-and-dragons

Perhaps the comments have some choice bits as well.

Littlefinger fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
The WoWisms are killing me as well. I REALLY REALLY hate the way the WOW-Kiddie vocabulary has entered my beloved D&D. “Solo” monsters, “roles” such as “artillery” “Controller”, etc….they are really wasting page space on spelling things out for people who are too lazy or whiny to just figure things out. To experience the joy of figuring out how to best play a game or what strategies and tactics work. I suppose I just have to accept that they are now having to make games for a generation who are used to buying the “Strategy Guide” for their new game at the same time they buy it on the day it comes out. No exploring…no trial and error. Just gimme gimme gimme….
BLAH

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Re: someone pointing out that everyone is white in this picture.

quote:

In the name of political correctness they should have included a black person, a métis, a Native American, two slant-eyed people (one wearing a crescent symbol), the wizard should have been a bearded lady in a hat with a six-pointed star on it, and the fighter should've been sporting pink armor.

Edit: Oh, and they ought to include a blue person! Equality to blue people!

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

quote:

No, I wouldn't mind. I should say I don't give a poo poo, [artists/WotC] are free to include a guy in any color. Even blue. OTOH any demands to that effect I find pathetic and laughable. Just like this whole PC brouhaha.

Shouldn't we photoshop a black person to pictures of the royal family as well, just to be PC?
Tell me, are you really so hurt that there are no black guys in that picture? :)

quote:

Let's add hatted rabbis and underprivileged Mexican tranny blacks to the PHB, as well as pink-armored knights. Preferably every second picture so D&D would be multiculti.
[...]
During the TSR era there was an attempt to remove questionable material, like half-orcs, demons and devils, assassins and a bunch of spells. AD&D lost a lot of popularity because of that.

quote:

quote:

I can understand if a black, Asian or other guy feels slighted if the art includes a bunch of white people and all kinds of made-up folks (dragonborn, drow, tiefling, warforged, whatever), but no one of their ancestry. Like it or not, the publisher is suggesting to these groups that it is not their game, they have no place in that world, buzz off.
They aren't, but you can misconstrue that in this enforced liberalism. But if I'm watching a Chinese film it's drat unsurprising that all actors are Chinese, just as all are black in a Batswana one, except for the industrialist bad guy who wants to grab the lands/forests/coalmine/cattle/virgins of the village.

Precisely these artificially enforcing, conflict-seeking PC people demand tolerance the loudest, while not realising that they themselves are incapable of tolerating even non-offensive things.

Demands for political correctness are in the overwhelming majority of cases nothing more than suggesting and asserting that the other party is engaged in some malevolent excluding behavior, when it should be damned obvious they are doing nothing of the sort.

It's just an easy way for agitators to go 'look, look, we found yet another example of exclusion.' If you think it through, it's nothing short of abuse and an insult to others' intelligence. It just has good marketing.

quote:

quote:

I just don't understand this desperate demand that everyone should be white.
You see, that's just the misrepresentation I'm talking about. There is no desperate demand, no normal person would make a fuss about it. [:ironicat:] I don't even get whence it came that there was any forethough or message in any of this.

It's just paranoid, confrontative, sanctimonious whining. There's absolutely no problem, but some people act as if there were, and that's quite irritating.

quote:

You should understand that D&D is not about whether they should include black people or not. This mentality simply emanates from sites (afaik rpg.net) where if you dare to utter a non-positive thing about someone (not even about their ancestry), or you voice a disagreement with egalitarianism, you get banned. Who cares for that? Such attitudes in a roleplaying game I like? :sigh:

The scary thing about this phenomenon (you should understand, though you seem unable to) is that it is not a goddamn trend, it's an opinion of a minority that they want to force on others as the dominant view. That doesn't make it right.

quote:

That's not the point. The point is, I don't think any right-thinking person should care about letting it in a roleplaying handbook, because that's not an rpg anymore, just some bullshit equal rights propaganda. That's not what roleplaying in a basically imaginary fantasy world is about.

Littlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 9, 2014

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Did you know that 4E killed the good old tradition of narratively flexible, rational rules that gave us I AM THE MOON, only to replace them with the abstract, rigid nonsense of Page 42 and the precision of pages-long examples about improvisation?

quote:

Anyone who played the previous edition knows that common sense was rooted out entirely. Nothing happens as one would rationally expect; everything happens as prescribed by the rules and then you have to rationalise it or handwave it away as you like or as best you can. People who haven't played it cannot understand how much of an uphill struggle it is, but even Mearls said it: the aim of 4E design was to protect the players from beginner/bad/rear end in a top hat DMs. The way to achieve it was to have the rules give an abstract but precise answer for every situation. Maybe a nonsensical one, but (because of the other sacred cow, Balance with a capital B) one that couldn't be questioned. But in this context the above rule [of having the DM rely on his common sense] is violated and that makes my head hurt.

Littlefinger fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 27, 2014

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
The last update leaned heavily on tech trends to attract new players. Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition, released in June 2008, tweaked the game in ways that some critics said made it too much like a video game. A wizard, for instance, could cast the same spell over and over again, ad nauseum, like a kid mashing the attack button on his Xbox controller. Old school fans were horrified, but the new edition did manage to attract some younger players.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
How very PC. A female soldier, and a samurai at that. A true archetype.

She should be black or Mexican to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Grogs are wisening up to 5e class imbalances and are zeroing in on the culpits.

quote:

This whole argument is theorycrafting, since no DM worth his salt would allow a monk into his campaign, especially if the player begins to rules lawyer right from the start.

• Locked thread