Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

TVTropes Tabletop Games forum posted:

I'm running a game where I have both the same problem and a completely different one. At some times, they act completely idiotic, not even understanding basic RPG survival tactics. I'm playing with my brothers, who are 11 and 8 respectively, but I don't think that it excuses the incredibly poor decisions they have previously made. The only reason they've survived as long as they have is because one of them reads Darths and Droids. Here's an example:

The game I'm playing is my own, and i guess you could call what I'm doing play testing. The 11 year old is playing a human archer that happens to be a member of the city guard, the 8 year old as a utahraptor assassin. The human one is supposed to be arresting the utahraptor, when all of a sudden they are attacked be a flock of humanoid pterosaurs called pterosapiens. I throw a few of the things at them to show how tough they are, and then send a huge flock at them, and make sure to leave a door to a conveniently open to an easily protected building. They take the bait, and run to the top floor. They do some fighting, but for some reason think that unless they keep moving then they'll die. So the human one gets the idea to jump OUT THE WINDOW AND USE ONE OF THE CREATURES AS A PARACHUTE. Ignoring the ridiculous idea of jumping out of a four story building and using a struggling creature as a parachute from the perspective of physics, this would put them out in the open, a much less easily defended place. Then the one playing the utahraptor decides to try the same thing. This is even more ridiculous, because utahraptor weighed about HALF A TON. The only reason that they survived is because;

A- Part of the plot involved the flock flying off.

B- If they died ten minutes into the campaign they would never play again. This was the first time I made them come up with a backstory, and to them it was a drat near insurmountable mental challenge.

Part of what made that whole thing so frustrating for me is that usually they're incredibly unimaginative. I have to spell out in golden letters on a mile wide billboard what the best course of action would be. I think I need to find some older play testers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

quote:

if i played myself realistically, i would be a white italian american female anime geek in her mid 20s with a childlike appearance, a fear of cameras, a fear of interaction, an obsession with faeries, and a really useful, protective, helpful, convenient and patient boyfriend that happens to be a dangerous unarmed berserker that can easily defeat most armed foes with his bare hands. the only reason he didn't become a Navy seal was because he is diabetic.

i forgot to note something, i am also mute and have to communicate through charades or a whiteboard. so my boyfriend also does all of my speaking for me. well, at least i have my own personal celestial Aegis. oh wait, does that make me a pokemon trainer or summoner?

*points at a random mook as her boyfriend pummels the insignifficant guard to a a sanguine mess with his bare hands, nodding in acknowledgement and thanks with a silent sigh of relief as the massive bestial male hands her the Kurumi Tokisaki figurine the guard was taunting the mute loli with*

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

quote:

It may be 'just a power fantasy' for some groups but rape has a much more varied history than that. It ties into the same reason it's as prevalent as it is in Game of Thrones and ASoIaF. D&D started as a medieval combat simulation game. GoT is largely modeled after the same period. Fact is, rape was a common, every day occurrence back then. The idea that rape is not acceptable by society at large is actually fairly modern idea. So, to depict that era in any kind of length of story involving many figures from all castes of society almost necessitates covering the topic because it was so prevalent.

• Locked thread