Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
If PrincessWuffles posts have piqued your interest in Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, you should act on that now. Today is the very last day you can buy the PDFs as the license expires tomorrow. The Premium versions of event supplements have the rulebook as their first half (don't know if that includes all the superhero datafiles from the standalone rulebook, though).

It really is a fun game. I used to be a FASERIP junkie and also loved the MURPG system, but if I were to start a Marvel campaign now, this would be my system of choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Egregious Offences posted:

Alright, let's get this show on the road.

Glad you're doing this one. I'd like this game to get a bit more love.

Egregious Offences posted:

Before we move into Character Generation, I'm going to crib from the other TOR writeup and have you guys tell me what sort of characters, let's go with two of them, you want me to create. First things first, choose two cultures from the list.

My vote is for the Woodmen (because they're my favorite of the cultures) and the Elves of Mirkwood (because Elves in the books and the movies tend to be pretty powerful and I think showing how The One Ring handles Player Hero Elves would be worthwhile).

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Tulul posted:

There are a few unique weapons, though they all suck. Let's pick an example out of the hat and go with the verred!

A) I have no idea how to visualize this. There's not a picture, obviously.

I'm pretty sure Cook is thinking of Zulfikar (also more accurately transliterated as Dhu 'l-Fiqar), a sword famous in Islamic tradition as belonging to 'Ali. The name means "bifurcated" and is usually depicted as a sword that starts as one blade and winds up with two blades (often curved outward) at the end.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Barudak posted:

Then again Thundarr has an episode where the ape people of are using left over animitronic King Kong parts and dark magic to build their God a mortal body so they can conquer what is presently the San Fernando Valley.

I will never be able to dream up a post-apocalypse adventure as awesome as this.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Barudak posted:

Thats Jack Kirby for you.

Seriously, every episode of Thundarr is a magical trip to a world where lizardmen at the behest of a wizard use a potent drug to keep humans slaves as they mine in the ruins of the Alomogordo Military Base to find plutonium from the Atom bombs so I think, and heres where it gets fuzzy, the wizard can gain the acceptance of the Council of Wizards or maybe use it to fight the Vampires from beyond the Stars.

Thing is this was my favorite cartoon as a kid and it didn't even register how ridiculously surreal the situations were. I just knew they were awesome. Basically a Jedi without the quasi-monk pacifism BS and a cooler looking light saber, a powerful sorceress that frankly Thundarr needed more than her needing his help, and a Wookiee, gallivanting through a hosed-up USA (including San Antonio) equaled required Saturday morning viewing.

Now I wish someone would run a Dungeon World or FATE Thundarr campaign.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

mllaneza posted:

Did someone mention Jack Kirby ?

These are both begging to be used for RPGs.

There is no part of those maps that isn't perfect.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Cythereal posted:

Knowing most players, statting up a character you want them to love dramatically increases the odds of the players killing said character. They wouldn't have stats if you weren't supposed to fight them, right?

That's certainly the lesson one of my players took from the Deities & Demigods book back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Libertad! posted:

Interestingly, a player in Monte Cook's game wanted to play as a monster, a Minotaur wizard, to be exact. Cook rolled with it and made an alternate racial traits to make the idea possible. Canabulum, said minotaur, grew to become a major PC in the campaign, and the exploits of his adventuring party are available in one of the campaign journals.

Unfortunately, Cook has not presented his alternate options in this book for those who wish to follow in Canabulum's footsteps.

Wasn't there an example in the original D&D 3.0 DMG about making monsters into PC races with a minotaur as an example? It's been a long time since I owned, much less looked at the book, so I could be just imagining this.

• Locked thread