Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

Plague of Hats posted:

Hey so I made a site to put F&F reviews on both in case of thread archiving, to make them a bit easier to read (site formatting aside) and to allow them to be read despite the paywall. It is currently sparse, but I can copy-paste with the best of them. I am interested in getting permission from reviewers, though I can also abandon all my heroic work in the face of stern disapproval. Suggestions and pointers on how to make things look better or more readable are also a plus.

I hereby give you full permission to repost anything I've written for the thread or will write for it in the future. I'm thinking of trying my hand at one of my favorite games, Risus, especially the adventure modules, over the course of the next few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
-- The GoogleProg

Halloween Jack posted:

Nope!

The fact that everyone can now put their personal masturbation fantasies up on an online retailer's site with a PoD option does not make them notable published works.

NOPE!

This thread is literally named after FATAL. One of the least notable RPGs ever penned by "human" hands. If it were not for reviews of it, the game would likely have never so much as seen a printing press, once, ever. This thread is for things that are "notably awful or notably awesome", not "notable and then either awful or awesome". The game itself could be a one-man piece of work that has only ever been seen or played BY that one man, and if it was sufficiently horrifying or incredible? It would belong here.

Back on actual topics, and speaking of the notably awesome:

RISUS
IT'S COMING

A fun pair of highlights / factoids for those not familiar with the material:

The entire core rulebook is six pages long!
--- Over half of that is pictures!
------ A full page of it is legal text and a table of contents!
Across every single supplement ever published for Risus, there have only been two characters ever displayed in the art.
--- The same two.
------ Every time.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
-- The GoogleProg
Hello thread, I'm Ariamaki, and this write-up is going to cover a long-time personal favorite of mine, the jester king of generic systems: RISUS!

Risus is a lot of things to a lot of people.
Most of them are ridiculous.
The things AND the people, to be clear.

• Risus is a 6-page game with a 64-page user's manual.
  • Risus is a game where you can yodel someone unto suicide.
  • Risus is a game where your character sheet is about a sentence long.
  • Risus is a game that repeatedly insists it is way worse than it is.
  • Risus is a game where character creation takes twenty seconds.
  • Risus is free.
  • Risus is funny.
  • Risus... has some issues.

It's a game, after all, made by people (well, person). And people (well, person) are capable of mistakes. But the game is still rock-solid, and as a base for other things? May be the best generic system out there. Period.

Risus is inspired, according to the creator (one S. John Ross, who is a pretty swell fellow I have chatted and gamed with on occasion), inspired by West End Games' old Ghostbusters P&P game, as well as the original DC Heroes system. Over time, he says he also got major spurs from Over the Edge by Atlas Games, and both GURPS and FUDGE. I myself am not familiar with all of these, but the ones I do recognize have some pretty heavy influence.

This write-up will probably be several write-ups, actually: First we're going to cover the Risus Core (a hard term to use when it is generously considered 6 pages, probably 3-4 in pure text) in more detail than said core book does itself. Next up, "What amounts to a 64-page user's manual for a six-page RPG", the Risus Companion, which I personally feel is the most important read in the history of the hobby, no matter what system you play. It's that good. And finally (for now), in time for the holidays, we'll be covering / playing the game's most infamous adventure module, A Kringle in Time.

For now, a quick quote from the Companion before we kick off the festivities next post:

S. John Ross posted:

As you read, keep a song in your heart and this sacred mantra in your thoughts: Everything is easy, everything is covered, and there is no wrong way to play.

Next time: The core book, Page 1 (and maybe even 2!)

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
-- The GoogleProg
So, Risus.

I was going to post the second part of the review, but then I got a bit of welcome news:

Risus Second Edition, still just as free as the first, is coming out Soon(tm).
And by Soon(tm) I mean Legitimately Really Soon.

So I am going to put off any further Risusiversing until the 2nd edition book hits, and then continue in that (not starting over, so keep the original OP of the review linked / archived).

• Locked thread