Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShinyBirdTeeth
Nov 7, 2011

sparkle sparkle sparkle
Wait are those damage values right for the nuke? According to that, getting hit by four metal rods from a rail gun does the same damage as a tactical nuclear weapon. A nuclear weapon is roughly on par with a fancied up bullet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShinyBirdTeeth
Nov 7, 2011

sparkle sparkle sparkle
Fifty feet - that's awesome. I think some mortars could beat that. Rifts seems like it is wants to be crazy, cartoon powergaming and then just oddly balks sometimes. "Well, I'll give you the eye lasers, but they can only do as much damage as a steak knife!"

ShinyBirdTeeth
Nov 7, 2011

sparkle sparkle sparkle

Payndz posted:

Flint Henry and Henry Flint are two different artists. :eng101:

And which one of them is in?

ShinyBirdTeeth
Nov 7, 2011

sparkle sparkle sparkle
The "Why did we play God!?" angle is such a lazy way to deal with technology and we, as a culture, have been going to that well for way too long, but it is especially crazy here. You live on your God and God is giving you pieces of himself. How could any religion object to literally incorporating elements of the divine into your body? This would be like the Catholic Church saying, "Nah, we don't really approve of you accepting the Holy Spirit or the Eucharist. That would be tampering with humanity." Take your parasite communion, space Catholics!

ShinyBirdTeeth
Nov 7, 2011

sparkle sparkle sparkle

Covok posted:

I've got to disagree a bit. From a narrative standpoint, I personally find it more interesting to take an angle of power with a price. Just getting transcendent power without any downsides, negatives, tradeoffs, etc. is a little boring. I'm not saying full-on "Why did we play God?" angle, but the "I juice up on super steroids everyday with no side effects" is a little meh to me. It just makes the character feel more human and relateable when his attainment of power comes with a downside. I mean that tends to be the case: obtaining power -- be it social, political, career based, etc. -- comes with unforeseen responsibilities and consequences. The consequences doesn't have to be directly related to the power; maybe people fear you because of your transcendence and you can no longer go back to your old life.

All that said, it doesn't really work for most trpgs and rifts is definitely one of them. A game that goes for being the big, larger than life heroes who wreck people's poo poo, is better off just giving players power to foster that feeling of "larger-than-life-ness".

I definitely see your point. Things get stale if I can just use my "I win" button in every situation. I was bugged a bit more by the idea that the Cathedral would frown on them or that they would in any way seem objectionable. You could even use the drawbacks as part of the necessary suffering one experiences getting closer to Wormwood. I know it has been said before, but if you're going to go with a space Catholic setting, why not do more to integrate it? One would expect that choosing to reject Wormwood's grace (in the form of the symbiotes) would be some sort of blasphemy. You're claiming to know better than and not need divine assistance. I'm also just a sucker for abnormal or monstrous things turning out to be benevolent, so that could explain some of my ire.

• Locked thread