Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Sidebar: Did actual real ninjas exist? Because of the heroic samurai figure, most Japanese historical accounts are considered biased. The legends of the ninja probably come from lower-class survivors who lost their livelihoods during the Civil War period. They were not assassins but revolutionaries. Entire families were killed and landholders driven out, forced to flee into the woods. Driven by revenge or desperation, they turned to farm tools for weapons and resorted to banditry for money. Some might have been desperate enough to go after local nobles. Due to their lower status, they'd be ignored in most places, as anyone of their status would be. Thus, they could come and go unnoticed, perhaps even killing their target and stealing some money. Nobody paid attention to the peasants and butchers - the assassin, then, must have been someone who could walk through walls! Desperate men fight dirty, using rusty caltrops (whose tetanus-causing powers led to legends of poison), traps to catch food which might occasionally catch an unwary person and add to the legend, using guerilla tactics and so on. Mix in a few Chinese myths about forest demons and the stories of the wandering yamabushi and bam, instant mystical assassin. If there are real ninja, not just the image-focused Go Kamisori Gama, they are today focused on surviving, as always. There were no ninja clans passing down family techniques, probably. Odds are, there is no truth to any of it. But hey, it's fun, right?

If I recall correctly the ninja and their methods (or at least the most mundane facets of them) had their origins in secret police in ancient China.

No clue on ninja history exclusive to Japan, though. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

ProfessorProf posted:

ORKZ ORKZ ORKZ ORKZ ORKZ!

This looks like it should make up nicely for being born too late to play Gorkamorka back in the day. :allears:

TOIME FOR FOOTSLOGGIN', BOYS!

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
I think the subtly-placed My Little Pony reference is what broke my will to live with that one. :smithicide:

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

e: oh, you mean the reference McGee added. Missed that on my first read.

Didn't notice at first that McGee added that and thought Fields originally put it there. I think grognards.txt destroyed my reading comprehension and my sanity. :v:

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

citybeatnik posted:

:allears:

I look forward to the treatment you're going to give this book. Bonegnawers, with all of their "wackiness", are my favorite tribe thematically, mechanically, and just generally. Their approach to the animism that fuels the werewolf spiritual side is just so drat -cool-.

drat shame most people tend to play them off as either the butt of a joke or just ignored.

Basically they're the Werewolf answer to the Malkavians, except with actual certified feral badassery thrown in to boot?

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
I never thought I'd want to ever read Bliss Stage again, but at least its rules aren't a complicated oldschool mess like this and it doesn't have a loving metaplot.

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 12, 2013

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Leliel the 12th posted:

Frankly, I would suggest a full rewrite, but at this point, it's better just to scrap the setting and create a better one with the same premise of Giant Robots in the Lovecraft verse. Maybe advance the tech and power levels of Eldritch Skies a bit, include asides about how cults of hyperspatial entities dream of arcane mecha designs that they may manufacture with an extreme minimum amount of needed resources, and pull out the old "how to construct a gameline in the Unisystem" instruction booklet. Hell, the cults would even be better antagonists: Just imagine the creepy factor of Yellow Signers greeting you over the intercom not with warcries and threats, but lullabies and reassurances. They're not here to kill you, after all-they're here to save you. From the pain of living, yes, but still.

Why not just wait for the next version of Adeptus Evangelion? :v:

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Hasn't that been in the works for like 50 years now?

Even if it's half-finished I'd still warrant it's as or more playable than CTech. :suicide:

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Give me Attack on Titan with Battlemechs and then we'll talk.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Count Chocula posted:

Why does this sound like the most fun way to play Delta Green?

Because it's basically Scooby Doo except the monsters are all too real. :v:

Also because Kolchak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

I say skip it. RIFTS is at its best when instead of emulating one genre, it mashes up twelve of them. And adds guitar shredding.

Now I'm sad that there is no metal band that has used RIFTS for material the way Bolt Thrower used Warhammer 40k.

• Locked thread