Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mark Blockhead
Nov 7, 2012

Young Freud posted:

I knew this sounded familiar. Jason Thompson did a one-page comic detailing a party's adventure through the Tomb of Horrors. I'll spoiler tag the image link, to not step on DAD's read-through.

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/toon/TombHorrors

I like how despite summoning more than 300 npc allies the party is reduced to 2, one of whom is trapped forever and the other of whom is maimed and permanently cursed. Also the Tomb killed them so hard their entire kingdom got caught in the blast radius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mark Blockhead
Nov 7, 2012

Bieeardo posted:

Looking into it a bit further, the 'original' reprint was titled Realms of Horror. I think it was a straight reprint, but I'm not sure where my copy snuck off to. The Arch reversed sex and alignment the first time through (which probably made it one of the canonical 'gently caress the paladin' traps), reset alignment the second, and corrected the character's sex the third time with a side-order of teleportational shenanigans. Acererak was statted, but as a stock Monster Manual II demilich with their host of weird immunities and resistances that the average party would simply not be able to chew their way through before he ate all of their souls.

I don't want to spoil stuff in advance of the end of the review, but any party that tangles directly with Acererak is likely to TPK regardless of which version you use.

Mark Blockhead
Nov 7, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm starting to think that the primary reason D&D can be so weird at times must be the absolutely insane amount of retarded poo poo Gygax had seen his players attempt over the decades.

ToH really illustrates this, especially with the amount of ten foot pole shenanigans players got up to. That's why some pit traps are specifically not detectable with poles, and using them on the ceiling of one of the entrances collapses it. Gary (and thus Acererak) was very aware of how PCs thought and behaved, and the traps reflect that (witness: three successive pit traps, so the PCs expect and skip the third, which happens to contain the only way foreward).

• Locked thread