Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

DC Heroes (Mayfair) created the logarithmic stat/power system that Underground used. When they lost the DC license they changed it to 'Blood of Heroes' right?

Not quite. The engine got sold off to Pulsar Games, which put out Blood of Heroes with it. The DC license, of course, went to West End.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Ratpick posted:

That said, did White Wolf ever do even a little write-up for the two other lost tribes like they did for the Bunyip?

White Howlers tribe book was one of the stretch goals for W20's Kickstarter. Don't know when it's coming out precisely, but it's in the pipe.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Tomb was written for two reasons:

1. A challenge to his players who considered themselves invincible, including his own son;
  2. So Gary could be "ready for those fans [players] who boasted of having mighty PCs able to best any challenge offered by the AD&D game."

So basically it boils down to "too easy, eh? I'll show them..."

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

MJ12 posted:

So basically D&D: Players Must Die mode? I guess if that's what your players find fun, nothing's wrong with that.

I think, and mind you this is only my supposition here, that the intended goal was to illustrate that having a super-powerful character doesn't make you awesome. This would explain why half the threat in the dungeon comes down to either random chance or a test of the player rather than the character.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

homeless poster posted:

Conspicuously absent from the list is the best setting, Dark Sun, but I'm going to assume that Steve was aware that psionics are hella common on Athas and such an awesome setting didn't need him impotently loving with it.

Dark Sun came out about eight months after Complete Psionics, so Winter gets a technical pass on this one even though he was initially on the Dark Sun team. Really, though, whoever was in charge of their release schedule boned this to pieces.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Oh Lord. V&V combat is dire.

Though you forgot to mention the best part of hit points calculation - the weight adjustment! Fatties are tougher because reasons.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

gently caress me, good call. Completely forgot. I stand by my statement regarding combat however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

ibntumart posted:

My vote is for... the Elves of Mirkwood (because Elves in the books and the movies tend to be pretty powerful and I think showing how The One Ring handles Player Hero Elves would be worthwhile).

I'd also like to see this. Should serve as a good contrast to the Decipher game in which the answer was "yes, elves are better in every way, deal with it."

• Locked thread