Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Payndz posted:

Is there a reason why GW charges such insane prices for its minis other than "Because we can, gently caress you"?

Nope, that's the reason. They think no one is competing with them and thus they can charge as much as they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mormon Star Wars posted:

The Cinema Discusso thread has me hyped to re-watch the prequels. Wish me luck.

The first thing you'll notice is that the acting in the prequels is even worse than you remember.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Dead Man's Switch would really benefit from a Director's Cut that backports all the Dragonfall DC improvements, adds a big chunk of actual shadowruns to the game, and fixes that loving ending. It would be nice for it to be as good as Dragonfall rather than be the bad one out. :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

unseenlibrarian posted:

I'm a big Pondsmith fan, I'm just going "Huh" at _Fuzion_.

Maybe it's popular in Poland?

CD Projekt RED are developing the CP2020 video game, so it's probably just that everyone involved on both sides is familiar with Fuzion now.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rafferty posted:

If tabletop games want to stay relevant, they should be studying these trends and working with them.

Did this post come straight from 1999? Most successful RPGs released in the last decade have done away with the majority of those (or all, if you consider the focus on having character death only occur when it's meaningful as a solution to perma-death). The issue is that D&D Next is a gigantic pile of poo poo designed to appeal to grogs stuck in 2000, not with the RPG industry in general.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 29, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

What is the metric of a "successful" RPG in the past decade?

Critically notable, because we still have absolutely zero reliable sales data about tabletop games.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Why isn't that the case for non-rpg books? Even books with graphics cost a lot less as ebooks. Print and shipping actually does matter.

Ebooks cost about as much as physical books in most of the world.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 27, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think this circles us back to how anyone / any team with the technical and creative chops to pull this off will be using it to develop full fledged video games instead.

Developing video games pays loving peanuts and the games industry treats its developers like poo poo. Anyone with the technical know-how to program .net apps or javascript is working in software, where they're treated like human beings and paid a decent wage.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 28, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
For people who don't follow video game news, White Wolf has once again changed hands, and are now owned by Paradox Interactive: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/10/29/paradox-white-wolf/

(Not to be confused with Paradox Entertainment, who are Paradox Interactive's ex-parent-company.)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jedit posted:

Which raises the possibility of a political sandbox game set in the World of Darkness. I can't wait... to mock people who play it.

(Seriously, though, it might be interesting - especially if you can run it from the Middle Ages or earlier through to the present day.)

Crusader Kings 3 DLC: Vampire Clans.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Lightning Lord posted:

Oh hey the chances of some sort of new WoD video game actually existing just increased by 100%.

200% of 0 is still 0, though. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Drawing your own version of something someone else has drawn is not "stealing."

That cover is kind of a weird thing to be making a reference to, but that doesn't make it plagiarism.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
That's Skarka territory, right there.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

There is never a reason to use Poser art in a professional RPG product.

There is, actually: as a placeholder in a work in progress release, when you haven't yet finalised the art and just want a draft piece there to take up page space. :eng101:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

GrizzlyCow posted:

Minimum wage in the United States is horrible and unlivable. I don't think you should be basing your argument around it.

His point isn't that you should pay artists minimum wage, it's that even if you do pay them the unlivable minimum wage (which you shouldn't), art is still expensive.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I thought MWP was going to rerelease that game as just Heroic Roleplaying some time soon.

They haven't officially cancelled it, but they're two years behind schedule at this point.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Actually, can MWP create a "generic" version of the Marvel game? I don't remember there being a character creation system, and the system itself might be tied to the licence.

They've literally stated they're working on it. MHRP doesn't have character creation because Cam Banks is ideologically opposed to it for some reason, but the genericised Heroic Roleplaying is meant to have some character creation rules.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

I would think the *World games would be hard to get brand new players into, given how freeform they are. I kinda feel like a more structured and GM driven, but still simple game would be a better intro. I used to work in theatre and had a bunch of friends who would do into to acting/improv stuff in schools and they had a really hard time getting kids/teens to engage unless they provided a lot of guidance and pre-set scenes.

They're not actually that freeform and "your character can do anything that's plausible, all you need to do is tell me what you want to do and I'll tell you which stat to add to your roll" is approximately 800% more intuitive to non-RPGers than "no, you can't shoot an explosive barrel to create an AoE attack, that's not in the rules."

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Piell posted:

Does France not have dungeons?

I have no loving idea why they changed the name, considering it's always been Donjons & Dragons in French.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Looks like it's a translation of the SRD rather than the actual D&D books?

SRD + a bunch of their own content, including 6-adventure campaign (Casus Belli is the big French RPG magazine).

Which I guess explains why it's H&D and not D&D. It's not an official translation project, just the French equivalent of Dragon/Dungeon creating a French version of 5e via OGL.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
50€ is what Amazon.fr charges for each of the 5e PHB/DMG/MM, so technically the 3-in-1 tier is cheaper. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's probably at least party due to the fact that French law curtails Amazon's right to undercut average market price on print books in order to stop them from trying to kill all local commerce forever.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Battleship is 100% worth a watch because it's like they had two directors make two completely, diametrically opposite films about the same thing and just cut them together. It's bad, but it's also amazing.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The two movies were "generic gung-ho pro-American-military action film about evil invading alien" and "film about a crew of alien scientists who tragically crash-land on Earth and are instantly attacked by the bloodthirsty locals, whereupon their attempts at phoning home to get rescued result in the locals ruthlessly exterminating them."

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's amazing that he still thinks non-casters should arbitrarily not be allowed to do things as well as casters.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dr. Quarex posted:

I am just trying to figure out how even someone with Dungeons & Dragons blinders managed to forget the 3rd Edition Epic Level Handbook where these things already basically happened.

He's really loving dumb.

Echophonic posted:

I judge (fantasy, at least) RPGs on how cool the Fighter-equivalent is. It's amazing how lame most games make them.

This is the Fighter Litmus Test. If the Fighter-equivalent can't do anything cool and powerful, odds are 99% that the system is a gigantic pile of poo poo.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Shut the gently caress up about superhero movies.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Magnusth posted:

Someone actually sat down, read the game, and wrote that as a review. And, i mean, roleplaying in sweden has a lot of women and feminists, so they should loving know better. I don't even...

I mean, TERFs and non-intersectional feminism exist, so it's not like being a woman and/or a feminist means you automatically have good opinions on everything. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

Why would you deliberately regress past "innovations" present in the original source material? Are they trying to find some wonderful gaming truth that predates Gygax, some Q document like even more original source material?

Because the entire point of 5e is to be regressive.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Scyther posted:

:stat: I hear WOTC can pull the plug on third party material that might end up making D&D and its settings look bad by association.

:wal: Too bad they can't pull the plug on all the indie games that make D&D look bad by comparison.

:stat: :wal: DOO HO HO

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

It's going to be bad, but hopefully it's going to make C7 a lot of money that they can instead spend on their good games, such as TOR.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The one other positive is it might result in 5e getting some classes that weren't designed by incompetent idiots.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

G+ is really good if you want to rant towards a selectively chosen group of people who can never judge you, and...not much else.

Don't forget that it's really good for enabling stalkers and harassers, too.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's pretty clear that it's all happened to one person over several years, if you read the post.

NTRabbit posted:

I've read the whole thing, and I still have no idea what it has to do with Wyrd

:crossarms:

quote:

Since July of 2015 fans of the game Malifaux have been attempting to overwhelm me with death and rape threats for no other reason than I am a woman who has opinions on the game. Wyrd Miniatures is silent on this matter and hangs up whenever anyone attempts to discuss the harassment. Given that a large number of threats identify the senders by name as Wyrd staff members, I do not find this surprising.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

Like, harassment is clearly bad, but it also clearly isn't what people mean when they say "terrorism". It's not helpful to one's cause to equate people getting their limbs blown off to having mean things said/emailed to you.

Terrorism is not exclusively limited to suicide bombers.

e;fb

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

It's not valid if you care about getting anyone who doesn't already agree with you to give a gently caress. It is hyperbolic in the extreme and isn't going to help get any point you are making to be taken seriously.

It's the literal definition of the word.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

See, I quit reading after the author said that emails were terrorism.

How about we do this: since you quit reading the post on the seventh word of the title and therefore have nothing of substance to say about it, stop posting about it or anything related it or this discussion, that way you'll save everyone from having to read your worthless, uninformed opinions. :thumbsup:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

If that is what you guys want, then sure, I will drop it. But I don't believe at all that it will help anything. "Getting people on board" requires getting them to take you seriously, which was the point I was trying to address.

No one is interested in getting people like you onboard. Your opinion doesn't matter, and you're busy actively proving that you're a dedicated part of the problem.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
If your immediate reaction to more evidence that gaming has a massive problem with harassment towards women and minorities is "BUT SHE USED THE WORD TERRORISM AND SOME PEOPLE (BUT TOTALLY NOT ME GUYS, HONEST) MIGHT NOT TAKE HER SERIOUSLY AS A RESULT," you have a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bedlamdan posted:

Sure but, why imply that the flagship character of your franchise is in fact one of those people???

The line has been used ironically by people who aren't shitstains pretty much ever since the shitstain crowd first used it unironically.

• Locked thread