Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

moths posted:

It still amounts to them dictating who's allowed to use their particular Nintendo Seal of Quality.

Granted they're a lot more liberal in distribution, but ultimately it's similar gatekeeping. The OSR gates are obviously more closed than PbtA's. But it's ultimately Vince making positive affirmation that 1) there's a gate, and 2) it's mine.

lol

Do you seriously believe the guy going "I own the trademark to this but I'm letting everyone who wants to use it use it, and people who want to use it shouldn't feel constrained by idiots debating whether or not their game is PbtA ad nauseam" is functionally equivalent to "this game isn't real OSR because it lets women pick a class other than whore, and the author should be forced to commit suicide because they once +1'd a post saying that bigotry is bad," or are you just trolling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

moths posted:

Asking for designers to putting PbtA on derived works

quote:

If you'd like to use our PbtA logo in your game's book design or trade dress, ask us, and we'll grant permission for you to do so. This isn't a requirement of any sort.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's interesting to compare the "T$R is trying to get all your money by just releasing more and more books!" thing with the 3e->4e change's "Why isn't WotC putting out more and more and more books? Don't they like money?" comments.

To be fair, those aren't being made by the same type of person, because there were definitely people complaining about the supplement treadmill in both 3.x and 4E.

5th edition is the only one where we haven't seen that complaint, and that's because WotC just aren't releasing books for it. :lol:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
5e is deliberately regressive from a games design standpoint and is written by people who are regressive both design-wise and politically, are friends with regressives, and were interested in hawking the game to regressives.

It doesn't mean you're automatically a bigot if you enjoy it, but you have to live with with supporting bigots.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 13, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Cubicle 7.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The worst part about the Essentials Binder is that it turned one of the coolest 3.x classes which would have worked great as a straight up 4E class with minimal adaptation into some Essentials garbage. :(

A 4E Binder done well would have been a stand-alone class that picked vestiges instead of individual powers, with each vestige literally just being a package of one each of Encounter/Daily/Utility powers, maybe with a small rider unlocked for the whole package when they've learnt all three powers from a vestige. Instead, we got a lovely watered-down Warlock build.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 14, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

LogicNinja posted:

You know, I just wish they'd do away with per day abilities entirely. "Per day" is just such bad design that perforce skews campaign/adventure design.

Even if you have to give some classes an expendable resource and others not, there are better ways to handle it.

"Per day" is ultimately a totally arbitrary unit of time that stands in for "a significant period of downtime which players must have the time to take" so they could rename them, but to be fair, most people make dailies a per-arc thing rather than per-ingame-day.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy has the Marvel juggernaut behind it but it still proved that you can make a movie about a talking raccoon and his treeman pal, a green-skinned assassin, Chris Pratt, and Dave Bautista, and have it be a success, so there's no fundamental reason why a D&D movie in the same vein couldn't work as well, and it wouldn't even require a bunch of winking and nodding about HEY DID YOU KNOW THIS IS A GAME FOR LITERAL CHILDREN, BECAUSE IT TOTALLY IS.

Hell, GotG 1 is basically a D&D campaign as it is (as pointed out by many people when the film came out).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's not for the lack of trying. There have been at least five White Wolf video games (two Vampire games, three Hunter games) and a Werewolf one that was never finished. Palladium was trying to negotiate a movie production or cartoon for ages, and Siembieda would probably lose his poo poo at the idea of Rifts toys. A big issue with either is probably not being willing to just sell off all the rights, though, or give total creative control over to a third party. But there have always been attempts. Actually getting somebody to sign on to movie or the like these days requires a lot of "heat" or luck, though, and neither has had much "heat" since the nineties.

Don't worry, this time they have Zak S onboard to write WW visual novels, so they're sure to find mainstream success now.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
http://gregstolze.com/2017/09/the-next-iteration-of-reign/

REIGN 2e is going to happen. :toot:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Let's not forget the single best random character generator in the entire tabletop industry.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

hyphz posted:

After all, D&D is flawed, but if every other system is too there's no benefit to switching.

Systems can be less flawed, and thus less poo poo than D&D, which is very poo poo.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Durendal posted:

Why some role players seem to endorse the philosophy of blaming the end user for obviously broken poo poo is very perplexeing to me.

Because they like Shadowrun/3.x/whatever, and admitting the broken poo poo is because the game is poorly designed would mean admitting the game they like is bad. It's easier to go "well, I don't have this problem at my table, clearly this issue is with the person who has the problem, and not with the game I like."

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is it any ""better"" to have a system where there isn't any kind of choice in how to develop your character at all, beyond the broadest possible strokes? Like, if I pick an Basic D&D Fighter, all of my "character progression" decisions are made for me the moment I write "Fighter" at the top of the sheet.

You can do that. Some people will find that unsatisfying because they like character building. Some people won't mind. Your greatest pitfall will be avoiding dead levels - players should never feel disappointed to have reached level X because it has crap rewards, but level X+1 has good rewards.

This is why "flat" power structure between feats/powers/moves/whatever other name you give to rules containers, where you have a pool of equivalent containers and players can choose the order in which they obtain those containers, works better than a tiered system (where early containers are weak, and late containers are strong) in general. For a linear progression like this you would need to make sure you had a drat flat power structure between containers, but otherwise there's no reason why it wouldn't work.

This would also work much better with a very small pool of levels; if you've got 20 levels and your progression is completely fixed, players will be more likely to feel like they're just levelling to get to a specific level's rewards than if a class is five levels "long."

Liquid Communism posted:

In a vacuum, the issue is simply that the more moving parts a system has, the more likely that the limited playtesting and editing time a TTRPG company can afford will miss a bug. The less options the player has, the easier it is to ensure that all of the possible combinations behave within design spec.

Same reason that it's easier to balance a game with a closed card set like Ascension vs MTG.

As to if it's better... well, it's more manageable. I like complex systems, but I fully agree that they are nigh impossible to get right. The comparison to AAA video game RPGs with millions of dollars of production budget shipping with systems flaws holds up pretty well, and TTRPGs are a lot harder to patch after release.

Yes, the more complex a system is the more likely to fail it is, but we know it's possible to make sufficiently complex systems that fail gracefully - in the sense that the margin of power between an average character build and a "failed" (under- or over-optimised) character build is manageably-sized - since there are several systems that manage.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 28, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Ah ha! So which RPG structures its abilities the same DOTA 2 and Heroes of the Storm does?

HotS has obvious talent tiering so I don't think you want to bring it up here. :v:

Apocalypse World has no tiering (whereas Dungeon World does, but it only has two tiers, levels 1-5 and 6-10). If you want a crunchy, tactical combat game that has no tiering, Battle Century Z, since it's point-buy.

Most point-buy systems have minimal to no tiering, really, since they don't have "levelling up" in the D&D way.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cassa posted:

It did? In what ways?

4E had extensive errata.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

in tangentially related news, it looks like The Escapist is well on its way to getting shuttered

:toot:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Peas and Rice posted:

You can add two sidebars, one with fiction detailing the life of an orc, one with verbose tables describing 30 kinds of orc encounters. Welcome to 1000-word-monster-land. :smugdog:

The worst part is there are people who will tell you this is actually good and that having easily-parseable stat blocks for monsters is bad.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Holden's biggest sin at this point standing in the way of any hypothetical future career he may or may not have in elfgames is the absolute shitshow that the Exalted 3E rollout was. Even if he wasn't an rear end in a top hat for other reasons, even if other people in the industry share his particular brand of assholism, who's going to want him helming a major project when he abundantly demonstrated his lack of ability to handle the last major project he was given?

This is an industry where Monte Cook and Mike Mearls continue to find gainful employment, Kevin Siembieda still runs a business, and SKR stil exists. It has never valued competence.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
If you're in the UK, pledging $5 to a Patreon already costs you $6 because they're idiots and apply VAT charges indiscriminately. That is now going up to $6.50 with the proposed fee changes.

This is on top of them forcing you to use Paypal since they still don't deal in currencies other than USD, otherwise you eat another $1.50-$2 in bank charges.

All this is going to do is get me to drop my $5 pledges entirely (that's every single one of my loving pledges).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

outlier posted:

To be fair, many of them weren't just told, they did play it and then reacted badly. For lots of people, the rule-laden, exception-laden, encyclopedic money-pit that is classic AD&D is their favourite game.

Most of the people who jumped on the "4E = dumb MMO video game WoW for babbies" bandwagon were people who'd never played any edition of D&D other than 3.x, though. AD&D grogs had already refused to go to 3.x, and weren't involved in the 3.x > 4E transition.

WotC staff aside, obviously. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Anyone else remember that time when Rand Brittain decided he was going to go to bat for Holden when Holden was claiming WoD: Gypsies was 100% definitely not racist? Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

No, because that didn’t happen.

Sorry, it might have been a different lovely ex/current RPG.net mod whose racism you felt the need to defend, you kind of all blend together. I'd go dig for receipts but I don't particularly fancy wading through human refuse right now.

• Locked thread