Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

SunAndSpring posted:

I've been giving Monte Cook and friends some more benefit of the doubt than I should because I kind of liked Numenera, at least for the setting, and because I've got a knee-jerk reaction to people who use words like "erasure" after looking at that thread about Tumblr on GBS, but what the gently caress is this poo poo. This looks like something I'd find in an Old World of Darkness supplement. Why would you release something like this in 2015 and claim its actually super good for the Native American community?

In this case "erasure" is probably being used correctly tho since they're making some cartoonish caricature of native culture that sort of blends iconic bits of all the nations together into a slurry and pours it over an RPG book. On top of Monty Cooke & co. going "pfff fine we'll rewrite it but fyi we don't care about those native americans we offended because we found some that weren't." Which is pretty dismissive of the feelings of someone's heritage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

clockworkjoe posted:

edit: a rebuttal from a liberal resident of Indiana: http://www.shakesville.com/2015/03/stop.html

lmao quoting Shakesville as if it has any kind of legitimacy. She thinks red-heads are discriminated against and says she gets gay people because she has a gay brain.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Mar 31, 2015

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

She's one of those people who writes really bad gay "romance novels" and acts like she's blazing the trail for queer people everywhere, isn't she?

yes, except blog posts about how you're not a good liberal if you think Bill Clinton ever did anything wrong.

clockworkjoe posted:

Really? I'd never heard of her before someone linked to her on the metafilter discussion about the RFRA.

eh melissa/shakesville is only really big if you pay attention to internet feminist poo poo a lot and criticism of her tends to get kind of muffled behind her large standing army of fans, so it's not too surprising you haven't heard of her.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Finally, someone who can and will take on the heavy weight of dialing back the obscene power of rogues.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
well anyone that would actually be able competently design TT game/run a TT business is already busy being successful in a more profitable industry....

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Captain Rufus posted:

Actually that grog.txt post was from me and I still pretty much stand by it.
But thanks dude that said I clearly live in my basement. As opposed to owning my own paid for home and making pretty decent money.

Inflation is kind of true AND false all at the same time plus perception and age. I am 40. 20 bucks to me is gonna feel different than 20 bucks to someone graduating High School this year. Obviously it goes a lot less further generally, even if I went from 5 bucks an hour at my first job out of the Navy in 96 to 28 or so now. (Gas has practically doubled but it was a 1.40 in 96, down to a buck in 98, about 4.50 or so in mid 00s, now around 2.80.) Hell, snacks at the work vending machine were like 65 cents in 98 and now they are .85-1.00.

poo poo goes up in price and wages go up but generally not remotely to the same level. Plus as one gets older things like savings, home improvement, medical, ect take up more and more money as opposed to most of my paycheck being for stupid nerd crap. (Not even getting into space to store it, and time to properly utilize it all!)

And you know, I am pretty much cheap as poo poo. I don't mind spending money but I want value out of it. Why buy a 4-5 dollar comic book that is maybe 15 minutes of entertainment when that same amount gets me a game on Steam or IOS? (Speaking of a thing that has rapidly outpaced inflation. I was doing some inflation stuff for laughs and giggles in my Game Collection posts: http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2015/04/operation-game-collection-dungeons-and.html by my calculations comics should be under 2 bucks as opposed to Secret Wars issue 1 being five dollars. Marvel and DC books were 2 bucks back in the mid-late 90s. Given how comics are kind of in the same niche market as RPGs it is kind of appropriate but to be fair if you do look at inflation hobby gaming has generally kept closer pace with inflation, with 1977 vintage era White Box OD&D being 38 dollars in now money. Iron Kingdoms Unleashed starter box is 45 MSRP, though its cheaper online. More GOODIES in the box but it isn't remotely as complete a game as ODnD was.)

I look at how much crap I have and honestly I don't need or have much use for as much so price will matter. Once you add in all our modern tech and the fact you can get good products both old and new for free or under 10 bucks in a digital only format and it really does make these huge rear end inconvenient loving 60+ dollar coffee table monster RPG corebooks look a lot less attractive to longer term gamers or newbies who compare them to other products that on the surface seem similar.

(Like comparing Games Workshop model kits to what Bandai, Fine Molds, Kobo., Tamiya, ect are doing. GW doesn't come close in either quality or value.)

I mean I am planning on running a play by facebook post campaign because a friend who moved to the rear end end of nowhere W.Va wants me to run something. I ended up choosing Basic Fantasy because the rules are all free PDFs and even Lulu or Amazon printed versions are sub 10 bucks. (5 for core rules in softcover. I spent 10 for spiral bound because it is easy to use and keep open. They are GAME BOOKS. Spiral bound is fantastic for reference work.) Grab some Ravenloft modules from my collection and we have a campaign!

Though it seems like most folks want full color busy rear end massive doorstops of RPG core and expansion books. I am still happy with black and white sub 128 page count ones. poo poo, even for modern games I sometimes would rather just grab a PDF, edit the fluff out, and make a more useful and portable book out of it that fits on my ipad and won't give me a hernia!

Maybe I am just part of the problem because I don't want to spend stupid amounts compared to other forms of entertainment that are easier and cheaper even if hobby games stuff should maybe cost more than it does. I also irritate retro gamers because I don't think spending 100 bucks for a loose N64 Conker is anything other than loving ridiculous. Hell, I got my copy when it was on clearance racks for 10 and only kind of feel it was worth that.

I generally get gas station coffee over Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts because its like a third of the price. I am a cheap bastard and kind of proud of it! Though I bet some of the extenuating reasons I am cheap would make a Therapist slaver in delight... :smith:

And since I have so much of this silly nonsense I just don't need to pay 60 bucks for Deathwatch core or whatever Call of Cthulhu 7th is since I am happy with 5th even if it doesn't remotely look as pretty as the newer release will.

you know you don't need to defend an unsourced quote of yours right? like no one was demanding you come in here and talk more

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Leperflesh posted:

Ah, yeah that's a 1-on-1 game. I meant, there used to be adventure supplements where the game book served as the GM, and you could just play your one character. Like a choose your own adventure book, but with more crunch.

These Lone Wolf books do that and iirc are decent at it too. There's no classes but you do ability scores and other stats.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Anecdotal I know, but everyone I know who doesn't play RPGs has been way more into the idea of "high school monster romance drama" than dungeon-crawling or post-apocalyptic stuff. You just need to pitch it as "like Twilight but without all the glorification of abusive relationships and creepy secondary characters falling in love with babies." :v:

The trick is to find a game that has enough of a system that using it well is something they can learn, but isn't rules-heavy (because it needs to be easy for new players to learn in its entirety) and has player participation (so they learn good habits before bad ones). I normally start people on Fiasco and then get them to apply what they learned from it to playing PbtA games.

Feng Shui 2 would probably be a pretty good one too, actually, since it's not very complicated and 90% of the rule is schticks the players will never see.

The problem with Monsterhearts is that anyone who's not a fan of Twilight tends to have a strong negative impression of Twilight. You could probably sell Monsterhearts to people as the interpersonal drama side of Buffy/Angel pretty well tho, but I think if you did that then eventually they'd like to stake a vampire or kill a demon at some point and I dunno how well Monsterhearts can handle that

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
well if we're going to recommend Monsterhearts as a great starter game I feel like it's fair to point out that a lot of people have react pretty poorly to Twilight and the narrow appeal it has doesn't usually look to ttrpgs for their sexy rp times, even if Monsterhearts is a well-designed simulation of teen paranormal romance

e- like the actual teens who would dig it are already rping without the help of tabletop rules on tumblr or some private forum or they're busy penning their own fanfics right now and not googling "Perfect Tabletop RPG Rules for Twilight" until Monsterhearts pops up. So the segment of people that discover Monsterhearts exists at all is limited enough and seems mostly confined to forums like this, where 20-30 somethings gather to chat, and idk I guess I'd see it as a hard sell for a lot of people in that demographic

but hey if you've actually pitched Monsterhearts to a group of teenagers you're GMing and they got into it then rad! I'd honestly like to see what someone in the demographic that unironically loves Twilight thinks of Monsterhearts

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 11, 2015

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Terrible Opinions posted:

A large revision of the underlying math/balance like 2nd edition Dark Heresy, or the new versions of World of Darkness would be worthwhile.

"New versions of WoD", like the minor updates between the shift of oWoD and nWoD? or are you talking about the actual shift between oWoD and nWoD? Because Old vs New WoD is just as much of an enduring and insufferable edition war as 3.Pe vs 4e. If you are talking about the revised rules, well, it's not like those small updates have really helped World of Darkness as a brand at all

MalcolmSheppard posted:

It depends on how integrated it is into D&D's business plan. If the design document is "We're supporting market research that says people want X and Y by designing this way, to hit the targets in Z," then yeah, it's not just a rubber stamp. D&D is ultimately managed as a brand, which means that there is a demand for a consistent experience associated with it, and a planned, definite way to translate that into selling stuff, including the game. In any event it looks like Greg Bilsland (their digital marketing guy) does know about D&D as a pastime, and if that's the sort of person doing that work then they need to know how the game is designed, and what the resulting vibe is going to be.

Finally, marketing this sort of thing seems way more sensitive to early fandom than it used to be. They know that the first in to any spinoff will include large numbers of TT players who will use word of mouth blogging and social media to judge it according to some notion of the "D&D experience." And nowadays, they know that the sense of authenticity can be taken away from them.

Talking about marketing research is all well and good, but what about 5e's production and current state imply any effort was put into actually trying to crunch data/track cultural trends to better cater to a market? And I'm not talking about "What a bunch of pro/anti X edition people said about it in our blog posts," either. Like, what gives any indication hard data was collected to give some objective measure of what the market wanted? The design team is so small rn that they outsource the actual writing and production of all their books, and someone having to take an emergency leave of absence caused major delays in their output. What about 5e as a game implies that Hasbro has any interest in it besides keeping it around as an IP farm until the next movie bombs? What about 5e reflects that they want D&D as a game to grow and gather an audience? Inclusive art and that awkward "you can be a transgender if u want" in the PHB were an okay start, but it's not really something that sustains itself. How has 5e capitalized on initial positive buzz? Or responded to negative feedback?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

kaynorr posted:

I think this is (in part) because the ease by which people can, and have, and maybe should, houserule various things make them much more emotionally invested in something that is essentially static and under glass. Complain all you want about the Elder Scrolls attributes system, unless you're in the 1% of people who can mod that poo poo you're going to have to live with it. Eventually you build some familiarity and assuming the game designers were right and the new system IS actually better, everyone goes on to live their lives until the next E3 announcement. But with tabletops there is a cultural tradition (partially brought on by lazy and/or terrible design) of "don't like it, change it!". Encouraging generation after generation of mediocre armchair designers to make tweaks and become invested in the game as a whole much the same way a player becomes invested in a character. Stockholm Syndrome sets in hard because not only do you live in that prison but you helped renovate it.

One of the houserules my first D&D group used was rolling 1d12 for initiative. I don't know where they got the idea to do that but it's what happened so much that I accepted it as a real rule. Then one day I looked at the back of the 3.5 PHB and what do you know, we should be rolling d20s for initiative. When I brought it up to the group they didn't believe me. When I opened up to the page and read the rule they got mad and told me I'm too "by the book"

They didn't even seem to like it that much since it meant the players won initiative 99% of the time (they also did one roll for the whole group)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
That's an incredibly rigid binary....

so in a way I guess that accurately represents the approach many people take to tabletop games

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
If you're trying to avoid words with negative connotations "formal" and "informal" can also also cause issues since "informal" is often conflated with "unprofessional", "bad", "slapped-together", etc. And "tryhard" is even worse. Like, what if you're trying to write up navel-gazey rpg meta theory what's stopping you from sticking with "narrativist" and "gamist"? Other than Edwards being a pretentious dongle, that is

Rafferty posted:

If formalism is rated on an axis, then many people will fall all across the spectrum.... And that's assuming you could even measure such things on an axis in the first place. For example, the 13th Age RPG is both formal (with a gazillion rules for combat) and informal (with barely any rules for backgrounds).

You know what else works on an X Y axis? The 9 alignments. That sure hasn't caused any issues

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 7, 2015

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Pope Guilty posted:

"Tryhard" refers specifically to somebody who isn't good at something.

Technically it's someone who doesn't understand the underlying mechanics or hasn't mastered them but knows something of what an "optimized" build would be by copying what the most popular pvp/tournament-level build would is for a given game

or at least I think that's how it started out, now it's just one of those standard insults you throw out there when you lose and you want to pretend it wasn't because you suck at the game

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bongo Bill posted:

I win at games because I try hard to improve my skills.

You need to stop putting effort into games because then you'll fall in love with them and they can't love you back

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

rkajdi posted:

That's awesome, but I worry about abuse. As in, a bunch of gamer MRAs filing false reports on whoever is their current "SJW ruining our hobby" and getting stuff taken down or demonetized. Considering it's a small community and nerds are the worst, it seems like a plausible thing. The proper answer is actually reading and vetting what you are selling on your platform, but a lot of the e-commerce stuff I've seen is as low-effort as possible.

Funny enough MRAs and assorted whiny gamergate cast-offs are pretty convinced the SJW conspiracy plans to abuse the report system to do the exact same thing

either way that won't happen

Serf posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. Like I said, it's bizarre. Their previous business models were based around putting out tons of books, adding content and keeping customers engaged. The online tools were another revenue stream.

Does 5E have online tools? I saw they're not putting out any books in 2016 apparently. Other than DM's Guild and existing products, how else are they going to be making money?

The 5e online character builder was being done by a third party and got into early beta before the plug was pulled (it was bad). At this point it seems like they're waiting until they can get plans for the movie off the ground before they try pushing the brand too hard. Honestly, if they did do an adaption of one of the Drizz't stories or, heck, the original Dragonlance trilogy and did a halfway-decent job that could be a big boost to D&D. It'd also give them a reason to put out some more campaign setting material as a tie-in for the movies. Until then monetizing all the fan content D&D produces anyway is a pretty smart idea

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah, I mentioned this in the next thread, but the context of "OGL will allow all sorts of shovelware to be shat out" is different when you don't have any official products for the shovelware to outshine. It's a way for people to answer "well look at all these third-party products!" when someone pipes up about how there hasn't been an announcement for a new adventure/supplement in months.

If anything the DM's Guild will be flooded with every DM's favorite house rules to "fix" 5e. Some of it might even be okay! And if WotC felt like it, they could harvest the best (selling) and make a 5.5e without putting any effort into it. We've finally hit True Modularity!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Serf posted:

Y'know, I keep saying this: Vin Diesel loves D&D. People love Vin Diesel. A Dungeons and Dragons movie starring Vin Diesel would put asses in seats.

I mean, I'm not pulling for D&D here because 5E is trash, but c'mon.

Now I can't stop picturing Vin Diesel as Raistlin! ! :mad:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lightning Lord posted:

I'm pretty sure that the D&D movie is going to be a flop because they're going to go for some half-baked epic political fantasy of epic epicness that heavily features Drizzt and Elminster. The novel fans are going to be pissed because Drizzt eats a slice of mumbleberry pie when it was clearly established in book 9 of the Spider Queen War that he hates that and prefers razium cake. General moviegoers are going to be disinterested and actively bored because it's going to be a poo poo fantasy dimestore version of Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings that doesn't make use of any of the interesting things about D&D. A good D&D movie would be something like a group of adventurers wandering about for gold and glory and raiding dungeons who stumble across something that will end the world or piss off an evil wizard. We're gonna get not Gondor in the form of Cormyr and Shadowdale vs not Sauron in the form of some chosen of Bane or some poo poo.

Also, the few official mentions of the D&D movie I've seen bring up Warcraft, and they're going to wrongheadedly compete with it, confirming what I say above even more.

eeeh I don't know about Drizzt or Elminster. like, execs would want to cast some famous white guyas Drizzt and there's no way painting a white dude solid black would go over well. And that's assuming they could even make the drow not look kind of stupid on film. If they did Elminster they'd have to cut or revise a lot of his origins, like the period he was turned into a woman to teach him a lesson in humility.

I think I mentioned it before but Dragonlance is really the big property they could adapt almost 1:1 onscreen and have it be palatable to movie audiences. it has all the epic adventuring and raiding dungeons and world-ending danger, like you mentioned. it has dragons. it's even handily divided up into an epic trilogy.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Direct to video crap animation is not the same as a hollywood movie! :mad:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That's the thing, D&D's milkshake has been drank so many times it doesn't have a lot unique to provide other than name recognition. Which I wouldn't underestimate, but the fact that D&D hasn't had any memorable products outside of the RPG itself in well over twenty years is pretty amazing.

D&D's campaign settings would be cool places for video games or movies, but the unique ones like Dark Sun, Eberron, and Planescape don't resemble anything close to what the mainstream public thinks of when they hear about D&D, so I can get how executives would be uncomfortable banking the brand on them

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

GrandpaPants posted:

What about an Asian dude?

that is an excellent example of how weird and creepy drow makeup would look irl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tsmjkKzT3w

Payndz posted:

Just making the setup like Jumanji (or the old cartoon) is probably the best bet if the movie ever gets made. Embrace that D&D is a complete mish-mash of every mythical or fantasy world ever created, and have a bunch of players who get sucked into the game world by a magic d20 or whatever undergo the Last Action Hero/Galaxy Quest arc, turning from mocking unbelievers through panicking that the dangers are real and everyone they meet takes it deadly seriously to ultimately become genuine heroes. I'll take cash, not bitcoin, please.

They did that already and it sucked. that one was about larpers instead of explicit D&D players, but the execution would be about the same

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 29, 2016

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

bongwizzard posted:

That was my exact point, that in my experience getting people to "play pretend" is actually pretty hard if they don't have any context for doing so, beyond it being "something little kids do". Getting over that hurdle alone is tough as hell with teens especially.

It's hard to get anyone that's old enough to have developed a sense of self-consciousness to express themselves in front of a group of strangers. this can occur in any kind of acting class/poetry reading/pickup game of D&D, especially if they're not used to it. encouraging people to show their creative side means exposing personal things about themselves they often aren't encouraged (or actively discouraged) to do

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Countblanc posted:

Yeah young people both have a lot of time to read for leisure, and often can use the same books they read for fun as something for class. Plus they're heavily marketed to with book fairs and poo poo.

Most language arts/lit teachers mandate independent reading, too, and will keep a hefty stock of novels for students to pick through. That means stocking up on popular new series for the students to keep them interested

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Hasbro has been loving up a lot in general because they've been playing things way too conservatively. Barbie sales are garbage for the same reason Disney profits on "princess" poo poo has been plummeting, for the same reason "girl toys" in general are doing god-awful - it ain't the loving 50's. Hasbro apparently has a loving massive stockpile of Kyle Ren toys from the new Star Wars movie that nobody wants because "it's the white dude" is no longer proof of a hit toy - and likewise lost a grip of money over their refusal to make toys of Rey.

The toy industry period is in a state of weird fluxuation because all the decisions are being made by people so disconnected from the actual average consumer that they may as well be slaughtering cows and reading entrails for advice on what sells, except no, that'd still probably work better.

Disney's princess stuff does very well, actually. If anything they under-estimate demand for "girl" toys, like when Frozen had a long period where it was impossible to find any toys (also, the idea that boys might like Frozen and buy "girl" toys didn't occur to toymaykers naturally). The total bungle of the Star Wars toys remains hilarious no matter how much you hear about it, but in a way it makes sense, I guess. Disney acquired Marvel Comics and Star Wars as "boy" properties to compliment Disney Princess stuff because they didn't want the Disney image to only be associated with girlyness.

The problem with Barbie is that it's being out-competed by Monster High and American Girl dolls right now, because those appeal to older girls as well as younger girls, while Barbies get discarded by late elementary age

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 6, 2016

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lightning Lord posted:

I believe the weird internally competitive atmosphere at Warner Bros probably has something to do with YJ's cancellation too. DC Nation was outright cancelled, despite doing well. The new Justice League cartoon will probably be swiftly cancelled too. Beware the Batman seemed to have been instantly cancelled. Cartoon Network seems to have much more interest in original properties, and that probably stems from not wanting to be beholden to any other subsidiaries of WB. Not that I object to this too much when the products are things like Adventure Time, Regular Show, Steven Universe and Gumball.

The DC comics properties are a big mess right now. Their most successful ventures are the CW shows aimed at adults, their comics are a mess of a few highs and tons of lows with rumors of another reboot coming soon, none of their cartoons seem to have any staying power even when they get good word-of-mouth. They're trying very hard to copy the success Marvel has had with their crossover movies but somehow missed that Marvel's movies work because they manage to do 2 out of 3 things: get good lead actors, get a good, fun script, and get a good director.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This is complete dross that comes from being in an epistemic nerd bubble and reading articles from comicbookmovie.com all day. It's dangerously close to a tautology.

i don't do either of those things and never have? :confused: Or is this some CD thing where you talk about how brilliant Man of Steel is if you look at through Hegelian idealism?

Halloween Jack posted:

The common refrain from comic book fans is that Marvel comics are more about the personalities of the superheroes as more-or-less relatable people, whereas DC comics are more about superheroes being "iconic." Perhaps it's more meaningful to say that the people managing the Marvel brand understand that their properties need the underpinnings of good drama, whereas DC is more prone to leaning on the brand name to sell the characters instead of vice versa.

Both companies seem to be struggling to make their comics accessible to people who are interested in the screen adaptations, though.

DC heroes are perfectly relateable when they manage to get good writers, but Marvel and DC have very different editorial styles which leads to them driving off/retaining very different talent. Marvel's line editors and writers go on yearly retreats to map out the story arcs across their main lines for the upcoming year and beyond. DC doesn't have that kind of consistency and seems more up to the whims of the upper management filtering storylines down to the writers, sometimes with very little notice

Leperflesh posted:

Marvel's movies suddenly became good when Marvel Entertainment Group created Marvel Studios to in-house their major franchise films (previously they licensed properties to other studios) and started making the movies themselves. You can see the line plain as day: the first two fully-inhouse Marvel movies were Blade in 1998 and X-Men in 2000, both of which were wildly successful and profitable. The success of those early in-house films can largely be credited to Avi Arad, head of Marvel Films at the time. Marvel also started self-financing their films in 2004. They've also been re-aquiring the film rights to their most important properties that were held by the likes of Sony, New Line, Lion's Gate, etc. ever since.

This is a really good read for all the details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Studios

It makes sense. Having full control over the scripts, being able to select studios to partner with, set budgets, etc. all give Marvel the ability to ensure their film projects aren't treated the way Hollywood had normally treated licensed properties to that point. No low-budget garbage productions from a license-holder hiring a no-name director to churn out a bad movie for five million dollars to try to make seven million in the market. No more apathetic directors looking at a comic book franchise they don't care about as a stepping stone to maybe getting a real actual film to direct in a couple years. Marvel still made a few stinkers, of course, but just compare Marvel's track record, to how well Sony has done with Spider-Man.

Blade and X-Men were both licensed out though? Blade went to New Line until 2013 and X-Men is still licensed to Fox. The first films they did totally in were Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk. Having all the recent films coming from the same studio has certainly helped them a ton and Time Warner seems to be pushing DC that way by making the full DC Entertainment holding company out to California to be in closer contact with the TV, antimation, and movie groups

Kurieg posted:

The DC Animated movies have been pretty good recently. And the Paul Dini era cartoons were amazing, the difference is now Dini's working for Marvel on some of their cartoons.

The DC animated movies have been mixed for me, and I was specifically referring to right now vs the DCAU era with their regular cartoon series... man it's weird to think the DCAU has been dead for 10 years now

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 9, 2016

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

An epistemic bubble is a term for when you surround yourself by people who mirror your own opinions back to you until you believe that they are far more popular and accepted than they are. You can usually tell when this is happening because the person starts using meaningless quantifiers like "good" and "bad" to describe things.

The fact that you deny this and then go on to dismiss listening to other critical perspectives as "a CD thing" is dryly amusing.

you're right it's my irrational fear of the outside voices that makes me hate comic mens, you've really ripped me open raw here over comic book movies and epistemology

Countblanc posted:

A lot of people in the bubble weren't actually playing very much, lots of people who know "D&D-isms" have literally never played or played in a game back in college a decade ago where everyone was drinking every session anyway. I know way too many toilet readers who seemed to think that Monks were the most OP thing in 3.5/Pathfinder.

When you look at it sideways monks appearing OP almost makes sense, like in theory being able to spider climb up walls, speak any language, roll large damage dice, make a bunch of attacks in a single turn all sound super crazy and dangerous

but then you realize that's because fighters get none of that poo poo and that makes the monk look great and exciting by comparison

Same thing happened with warlocks (CASTERS? That can cast magic missile all day!?) and soulknives (you mean I CAN'T strip the fighter naked and make him feebly punch rats for a session???)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Effectronica posted:

I think it's rude to make fun of Sean Reynolds just because he can't spell crunk.

I would party with Sean K

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
So what do you guys think about the third party making an oculus rift virtual tabletop featured on Dragon+?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ProfessorCirno posted:

NorCal is fuckin' wild, and the day this dumb tech bubble bursts will be even wilder.

Gerund posted:

"I mean, you have six friends with this poo poo who'd love this, and I've got six friends with this poo poo that would love this, there must be a huge market for this!" said the socially-isolated disruptor.
"Genius, bro. Millions of dollars headed your way." said the VC.

Yeah I can't quite imagine how it would be possible for this to work at all. the only thing this does differently from Tabletop Simulator is you have to wear a goofy headset and the board looks like it's smaller and not even in 3D.

It's weird how D&D is endorsing it, too, since the only way to get official 5e rules for the VR PDF support is the starter set or pirating the full books

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 12, 2016

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

the Venisocracy was only the beginning

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tendales posted:

The game does not promise intersectionality.

as modern feminism comes from a white upper-middle-class background, that's an unfortunate reality we must do away with

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

gradenko_2000 posted:

http://support.dmsguild.com/hc/en-us/articles/216504408

They're asking people to cut up their own old game books, scan it, arrange the PDFs, host it themselves, let DTRPG download it and review it, and potentially rehost the file for resell back to the market, for 50 dollars store credit.

:eyepop:

How do they somehow not have the 3.0 corebooks????

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I certainly can't think of any 3e books that crack the $50 mark. There are books like Frostfall and Book of Nine Swords that can go over retail but I can't think of any that might go over $50 unless prices have spiked in the past year.

I think either the 3e spell compendium or magic item compendium went up to $50.00 for a while during the 4e era but those prices fell again when WotC put out the premium reprint for those books

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

LatwPIAT posted:

To elaborate, there's a tradition in Swedish (and Norwegian, Danish, etc.) roleplaying of what is essentially freeform roleplaying that involves people sitting around a table (or in the case of Jeepform, a car) and acting out their roles. If there are rules, they're there to structure the situation. It's like LARPing, only you don't dress up or act. Or like tabletop, only you don't do all the tabletop staples like dice.

So like The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen but with different scenarios?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

bongwizzard posted:

All of that sounds just awful and I would rather just play video games and chat via Skype or whatever.

I totally admit that the nostalgia thing is huge with me but the traditional trapping of "playing d&d" are a big part of the charm for me. Hell, I am slowly trying to track down old copies of the 1st Ed books rather then buy the reprints because I want them to have that "old book" smell that will forever remind me of gaming.

All of your stuff is objectively better but I want some touchy feely crap.

So you like bookkeeping but you're completely repelled by the the ttrpg equivalent of an Excel document that does hours of repetitive page flipping and bookmarking and note-taking for you?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

AlphaDog posted:

Would an online rules site that you pay to access and have to be logged in to use not solve all these problems? It works just like a physical book - you can lend your login to someone, but you can't both be logged in at the same time.

Something like a character builder that gives free and subscriber-only content could be another option, possibly even for crunchier games. Give free users the ability to reference all the base rules with a live character sheet that does the math for them, and offer the ability to swap out powers or feats or prestige classes or whatever the equivalents are with premium options. You could make other advanced rules premium only too, like maybe custom vehicles/mounts, mass combat, and sailing rules. You could make all the premium content subscriber only or offer small toolkit packages as one-off purchases. It'd interesting to see at least, but no one really has the resources to set something like that up

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kai Tave posted:

4E Dark Sun was ironically the one setting for that particular edition where they paid the greatest heed to its 2E predecessor. The general rule of 4E settings was "if it's in the game then it has a place in the setting," so you get eladrin and dragonborn and tieflings all up in Eberron where they didn't really exist before even though it's not really all that awkward an inclusion, but 4E Dark Sun straight up said "Hey, no Divine Classes. Yeah, you can add them if you want we guess but for real, no Paladins or Clerics, go Primal or go home."

4e Eberron carried right on in 3e's footsteps, too, but the setting as a whole is a lot more laid back about canon so it wasn't that harmed by an edition change. "If it's in the game, it has a place in the setting" is almost verbatim one of Eberron's main slogans. Tieflings and Dragonborn were already options in 3e anyway, albeit with different fluff attached to them. Eladrins were actually a cool addition that brought some interesting story hooks with them.

Lightning Lord posted:

One group I'm in a bunch of dudes railed against 4e's additions. They legit didn't know that tieflings and even eladrin predated that edition.

tbh I wish they'd kept the celestial origin of Eladrins, if only as a counterpart to tieflings in the core book, because playable celestials should be given page space too. The Devas in the PHB 2 were a cool addition, though their lore was a lot more clearly defined than tieflings.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kai Tave posted:

I will say that back when regular official D&D web articles were a thing that they had Keith Baker do a lot of short, quick "here's a campaign seed/collection of plot hooks for an Eberron game" deals and they were, to my foggy recollection, pretty decent. But of course they deleted all that poo poo and now there aren't even any official D&D forums because that stuff takes too much effort, along with going to Gencon and making supplements.

The Dragonshards articles still exist, actually. They're just buried deep in the WotC website and you can only find them with Google afaik

e-

Kai Tave posted:

The digital tabletop initiative falling through because of the lead developer being involved in a murder/suicide probably didn't help matters either.

Here's the article on the murder suicide for reference: http://www.examiner.com/article/the-murder-suicide-that-derailed-4th-edition-dungeons-dragons-online

quote:

Ryan Dancey, formerly the Dungeons & Dragons brand manager for Wizards of the Coast, recently explained how the brand failed to meet its $50 million sales goals by transitioning to an online format. Dancey shared a pivotal moment in that failure: a sad story of domestic abuse.

"The DDI pitch was that the 4th Edition would be designed so that it would work best when played with DDI. DDI had a big VTT component of its design that would be the driver of this move to get folks to hybridize their tabletop game with digital tools. Unfortunately, a tragedy struck the DDI team and it never really recovered. The VTT wasn't ready when 4e launched, and the explicit link between 4e and DDI that had been proposed to Hasbro's execs never materialized. The team did a yoeman's effort to make 4e work anyway while the VTT evolved, but they simply couldn't hit the numbers they'd promised selling books alone. The marketplace backlash to 4e didn't help either."

That tragedy was the death of Melissa Batten, shot by her estranged husband Joseph Batten. Batten then committed suicide by turning the gun on himself. The effect on the gaming industry was far-reaching.

Melissa Batten was a Harvard-educated lawyer and Software Development Engineer in Test for Microsoft, supporting Rare on their Xbox 360 titles. Working for Microsoft since 2002, she earned credits in games such as Halo 3 and Gears of War 2. When she was previously a public defender for the Mecklenburg County Public Defender’s Office.

Joseph Batten's LinkedIn profile (now defunct) listed him as Senior Manager, Digital Technology Projects for Wizards of the Coast since February 2008. Prior to that he was Senior Technical Producer for just three months, with responsibilities for supporting Gleemax.com, integrating Dungeons & Dragons Insider (DDI) with Gleemax, and overseeing the backend infrastructure that all of Wizards of the Coast multiplayer games run on.

Melissa had obtained a restraining order against Joseph the week before her death:

"In her request for a protection order, Melissa Batten described how her husband had called her more than 30 times on July 19 and 20 and warned her never to hang up on him. She also described a chain of circumstances that led to the phone calls, including how her husband broke into her workplace at Microsoft on July 16 and was caught by security guards.

"The biggest incident which clouds all his subsequent behavior occurred on June 5," she wrote in the request. "He had, unbeknownst to me, obtained a gun."

At that time, she continued, the couple were living together but he discovered she had had an affair and he confronted her about the affair at dinner, then "brandished the gun from the back waistband of his jeans and pointed it at me," she wrote.

Joseph Batten then showed the gun was loaded and the safety was off and he put the gun to his head and said he was going to kill himself, Melissa Batten continued."

Melissa moved to an apartment on 156th Avenue Northeast in Redmond, where she was staying with a friend. Joseph confronted her in the parking lot, shooting her several times with a 9-mm handgun and then shot himself in the head.

We may never know the full impact of this tragedy, but in light of Dancey's recent comments, it definitely delayed 4th Edition's plans in the online space. With 5th Edition on the horizon, it remains to be seen if Wizards will make another effort to revive its digital strategy.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 21, 2016

• Locked thread