Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think most of the cultures had that taboo, actually. The "common wisdom" was that if men didn't ride side-saddle, they'd become impotent.

People flipped their poo poo over that.

e: the best simulposting ever

As I recall, riding sidesaddle actually did make men impotent, though the book noted that it might be a psychosomatic thing. Either way, the people flipping their poo poo about it were hilarious and sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Evil Mastermind posted:

The only thing is that I doubt they've be able to find another venue for this year, since I'm sure that the whole industry has already financially prepped and invested into this year's con, not to mention finding a large enough venue on short notice.

I mean, who knows they might be able to shift the whole thing somewhere else before the summer, but I'd be really surprised.

The language in the letter made it sound like they wouldn't renew their contract with Indianapolis after the current term is up rather than break the agreement. Although I think 2015 might be the last year of the current term anyways.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

nesbit37 posted:

2020 is the last year of the current contract.

You are correct; I just noticed the article I was looking at was from 2009.

I guess then the big question is whether or not Indiana can levy penalties for breaking that contract.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

So Gen Con released a further statement on the RFRA fiasco.

Sounds like they're using whatever economic leverage they can short of breaking their contract altogether (which I have to imagine would cripple if not destroy the company) to put pressure on Indiana. I imagine the con's planned expansion would have meant a lot more money in the state's coffers.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

MadScientistWorking posted:

If you are talking about the tv show that isn't a trenchcoat. Its a duster. Now excuse me while I crawl into a corner and cry as that is the only thing I know about that franchise.

To nerds, all coats are trench coats. All swords are katanas.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Magnusth posted:

And, i mean, roleplaying in sweden has a lot of women and feminists, so they should loving know better. I don't even...

Mind if I derail a bit to ask if you can tell me more about the Swedish RPG scene? I'm moving to Malmo at the end of March, and I'm curious if you know where to look for games/game stores.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

homullus posted:

Ok this actually makes no sense, even for OD&D. You start out as a skeleton and get flesh from . . . somewhere? . . . and gradually get stronger ... until you suddenly can do magic without being taught?

Not only that, but if you fought another undead with level drain you'd go back down the scale. There's a story out there on the internet somewhere of a game, I don't recall if it was at Gary's table or one of the other original D&D groups, where a guy playing an undead character and had leveled up to "vampire" was in an aerial duel with another vampire. Said enemy vampire lands a level-draining hit, and since the undead critter with 1 fewer HD is the wight (which does not have a fly speed), things got... interesting.

E: F, B

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Oppression goblins.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

You are trying to have "useful discussions" and "analysis" of poo poo that is ruining people's lives. The reason people are posses is because, for the people this effects, this is not academic. Treating it as an abstract concept to be debated and analyzed is dehumanizing as gently caress. People have laid this out over and over in this thread, and your response has been to double down on your "I thought it would be productive."

It's not productive. What's productive is supporting people who have the courage to talk about their experiences even though they know it's going to open them up to even more poo poo. What's productive is calling out toxic behavior and changing the culture that picks apart and analyzes survivors' stories like they're a frog in freshman biology class.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Covok posted:

Is the market cornered?

Tom said intersectionally.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

If I had to guess, "cronk" probably fills the role of "placeholder term I know will not be used elsewhere in the text, therefore making it easy to find/replace with a real term later."

That's still a prety silly cronk, though.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Seriously dude? Don't do this.

I caught wind of the kickstarter and have kept abreast of news of the game throughout it's development because while I'm not an unhappy robot made of junk, or a robot masquerading human emotions, I am a victim of child molestation and systematic bullying. I'm focusing on Beast because it's a topic in which I was, and am, heavily invested.

It's never been my goal to attack you or the other writers and if you've felt so on my account I apologize.

As one of the other Dummies in question, your review, while tough to read, never felt like an attack to me. And yeah, everything Dave said is accurate--I was one of those experienced writers with a lot of other poo poo on my plate at the time, and I regret that I didn't see where the game was heading before it was too late. It's not the game I thought I was working on, and I'm sorry that reading it caused you pain.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

PST posted:

So yes Suleiman is a piece of poo poo harasser
Holden's also a piece of poo poo liar and muckraker who covered up harassment

The first doesn't cancel out the second, despite what Holden's trying to pull.

For what it's worth, I agree with this assessment and 100% believe the victims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Comrade Gorbash posted:

As for severing connections with predators who happen to be close personal friends, guess what? I've done it. It's called being a loving adult and doing the right thing.

And even if there's some extenuating circumstance for not severing, it does not in any way, shape, or form justify compounding the harm by continuing to minimize what happened.

100% motherfucking this.

• Locked thread