Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

jivjov posted:

Look at something like Caracosa; it has descriptions of rituals that involve rape and human sacrifice, but its presented as "guys, this is seriously bad poo poo" rather than "check out this cool poo poo you can do".
You are annoying. Other posters already had to teach you that rape=/=murder and that criticism is not censorship, and those are two points that have to be tiresomely rehashed every time this argument comes around. Now you're mindlessly parroting what Carcosa's defenders say about it, and as the guy who reviewed it for F&F, I have some things to say about that.

Carcosa's rituals have onerous requirements, to the point that most of them could be the seed of an entire campaign. (One ritual requires two components, each of which can only be found in a particular hex, the corpse of a particular monster, and murdering a woman of a particular race who is fertile and a mother.) All of them (except banishing spells) require murder or torture. Some attention should be paid to the demographics, too. There are five rituals which require rape. All of them specify a female victim, and four of them specify a female child. None of the rituals call for sexual violence against men. The rituals often specify virgin or non-virgin female victims; this is rarely the case with male victims.

Carcosa devotes 33 of its 275 pages to sorcerous rituals. If the PCs aren't meant to use them, that's more than a tenth of the pagecount devoted to "adventure seeds about a villain trying to cast a spell." For comparison, Carcosa devotes about 15 pages to its intro adventure, 6 pages to encounter tables, and 4 pages to summing up what all human cultures are like. It doesn't try to explain why ancient alien gods want beautiful female virgins.

Carcosa's authorial voice is rather clinical, in fact, and doesn't describe the violence as good or bad, but it's clear that McKinney wanted to write about lurid sexual violence and veil it under the defense that he's just writing in the manner of good old-fashioned sword-and-sorcery, with wizards menacing scantily-clad maidens. It's noxious and vile. I don't normally invoke moralistic vocabulary, but Carcosa reveals the frankly unhealthy and pernicious attitudes of its creator.

Mors Rattus posted:

It is probably relevant that "misery tourism" is an RPGsite catchphrase used to denounce games like Steal Away Jordan or Sorcerer.
It's definitely relevant, and I really don't know what the miserytourism.com people are up to. Is it a "taking it back" thing? Did they actually decide to write a whole series of mini-games that's just an extension of an argument on an obscure Internet forum? And they want to print it? And people want to buy it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm totally ignorant as to how integral a layout guy is to a project, so that does seem odd to me. Because it's me, that guy, who shows up and starts kicking over furniture whenever Carcosa is mentioned, but I like Rich Longmore's art and wouldn't want to see him lose work due to the association.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Some of the games seemed, at first glance, like they might be genuinely mature and not lurid trash, but the prurient intent shined through when I read the PDFs. A storytelling game where the crew of a starship is haunted by the ghost of a captain who abused all of them in some way--okay. Then the text basically says "Maybe the captain raped you, or if you're a dude and the captain's a chick, maybe she just grabbed your junk." Everything comes back to rape with these guys, this is no Changeling: the Lost.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Chaotic Neutral posted:

Jivjov, did you actually read Jonathan's own post on Google+? It pretty clearly delineates his support for the project that he's working on.

This post reminds me...where does kill puppies for satan fall on the scale of objectionable games? I'm not asking about the content; I've read it, and while I think I understand what Baker was trying to do with it, I can't imagine playing it for very long without the game either stalling from inertia or going into territory that would lead me to stop playing. Considering that many of us support Baker's work, I want to know what others think.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

ravenkult posted:

The thing I don't get about kpfs is that it's supposed to be a parody/criticism of murderhobo games like any White Wolf game ever, yet when reading actual plays about it or reviews, they gush about how funny and/or fun the game was and what genius game design is involved.

Doesn't that invalidate the whole ''criticism'' angle? If kpfs is fun and good game design, then every White Wolf game is fun and good game design. Unless you want to claim you're playing it ''ironically'', in which case you're an idiot. It's not like you play Werewolf and think ''gee, I really am a werewolf and I'm taking this game super seriously guys.''

I've read APs of some one-shots, and it seems that one-shots of KPFS are funny in the way that an episode of Beavis & Butthead is funny. It doesn't make you want to be the characters, unless you're a boy with incompetent parents.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I am an Arkham Horror fanatic, and I have most of the expansions...but I played Elder Sign once, and I know that most of my Cthulhu-related gaming for the foreseeable future will be with Elder Sign. It's quicker to explain the rules, quicker to set up, quicker to play, has faster turns so people stay engaged with the game (instead of their phone) and has a tighter thematic focus.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
To be honest, that often drives me up-the-wall loving crazy. Don't try to walk me through character creation before I know what any of the numbers I'm writing down mean, or how I'm going to use them to generate anything.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
This is the first I've heard of Numenara. Why would you want to make a licensed hack for something that's already a hack of D&D and Anarchy Online?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Triple-Kan posted:

Monte Cook is really good at making sure his name gets on the front of the book.
He's the Ryan Dancey of being the Steve Jobs of book covers.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Gasperkun posted:

Sage LaTorra and Adam Koebel are, in my experience, people who handle themselves well in online fora and are good to talk with also. Sage, in particular, had to put up with a lot of grief from people telling him he was trying to destroy the hobby, without using those exact words, and then he went to a certain site and answered questions in a manner that I believe was very even-handed.
Do you have a link to that?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
A lot of old stuff shows up on DTRPG and the like now--any idea as to it's market share? I mean, the book I'm F&Fing right now is up on DTRPG with newer and much better art, so they must have thought they'd make enough sales for it to be worth the time and expense.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Plague of Hats posted:

If you really want to go dumpster-diving, Sage's first post is 364 in this thread. It's not as vitriolic as one might expect, but it's kind of off-putting just how confounded a lot of these people are about how to handle a game that doesn't run exactly like the ones they like, and how angry that makes some of them. Sage ends up answering a bunch of really dumb questions. My favorite part is somewhere around page 10 Pundit declares such-and-such idiot thought about Dungeon World's Storygame-iness, then later near the end of the thread posts some giant pretentious wall-of-text about DW's pretentiousness, but that having finally read the game he must admit that it is indeed a Scotsman.
Wow. I should have known how far down the rabbit hole it goes, but wow. Someone wants to take him to task for his choice of editing software before learning that there's a free PDF of the game. A bunch of people try to interrogate him to establish that he's part of the Rebel Alliance, and a spy. Tarnowski tries to debate LaTorra about a game he admits he hasn't actually read, and asks LaTorra to disprove his assumptions about the game by reading it to him, piece-by-piece.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I didn't want to derail, so perhaps I can thread things back towards being on-topic. Does anyone have any idea if the weird ideological battles on fora actually influence sales? I've often heard it said that while some games are forum darlings and some games are bitterly debated and criticized, all of the people posting are a vocal minority of the people playing the game. I think that's certainly true of Magic, but probably not true at all of RPGs. I wish there were more data available on sales.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
How was Bill Coffin's reputation damaged and, if so, does he have any reason to care?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I responded to David Hill's post, and he and his partner told me who pays on time and who doesn't. Let me know if I killed their careers.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I haven't played MB's Heroquest since I was a kid. Even if somebody published a Labyrinth Lord style clone of it, isn't there some Warhammer setting stuff they'd have to excise?

Not-really-related question: in the last chat thread I asked for some suggestions for sci-fi games with fun (but not :spergin::fh:) tactical combat, I got some good recommendations but a couple were boxed sets. Is making the game half a board game the future for those who want RPGs to be a profit-making venture?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

bunnielab posted:

Related question, how does current body armor work for large chested women? Do they just cram into a compression top and wear a slightly larger size or what?
The biggest problem women have with military body armor is actually a too-long torso, leaving gaps under the arms and the armor bruising their hips or riding up to their chin. Darts allow for shaping ballistic fabric around the bust, but they're still working on perfecting ballistic plates.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Nope.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 27, 2014

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
No.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 27, 2014

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

FMguru posted:

Genre fiction pays like rear end (unless you're the next J.K. Rowling or Stephanie Myers or Suzanne Collins) so it really says something about pay rates in RPGs that writing midlist SF and fantasy and franchise novels is a big step up in terms of compensation.
What kind of fiction writing pays well?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I don't understand the belief that players are going to stick to slight variations of their favourite universal system because new rules are just so hard to learn and they would be giving up so much facility of play by moving on from a system they already know well. D20's marketing was based on it, but it was self-defeating: there's so much variation under the D20 umbrella that transferring rules for characters, monsters, equipment, etc. from one version of D20 to another isn't necessarily easier than transferring them to a completely different system and just eyeballing it. Is it really a thing? I know it is in the minds of people publishing games, but what about the audience?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The problem is they can't be dissuaded because they will never reach out to, or contact, anyone who would tell them otherwise; they reach these conclusions on their own in an epistemic bubble and don't do any research and just start working on their New and Improved D&D.

Fyxt is just the most spectacular example of this so far. One thing I want to point out is how much of Fyxt reads like "The Secret"; just vague and specious promises on how good everything is when you start apply Fyxt to your RPG! It makes it seem kinda culty and weird, to be honest.
The kind of marketing language the Fyxt designers are using is sadly common. You don't even have to look outside of RPGs for examples. There's practically a script for it at this point, the same as for magazine ads for snake-oil medicine, bogus exercise devices, and martial arts. (Your comparison to religion is apt, though, since people advertising New Agey hokum may believe their own bullshit whereas people selling pills and gadgets almost certainly don't.)

I can think of several examples off the top of my head where a wrongheaded publisher used marketing language like "infinitely flexible and fun" and "only limited by your imagination" to pimp their game. Typically they claim that their system is focused on fun and roleplaying instead of rules, but because they're pimping a system that bills itself as universal, all the marketing is paradoxically focused on the rules. "Imagine" was a game that did this poo poo hardcore years ago, and the game in question was actually a generic high fantasy setting. visioNation Studios' CORE-7 system is an example of an actually universal system that did this stuff, gasped, and died quickly several years ago.

I only just found out about Fyxt today, but what's perversely impressive about the whole thing is that they are actually making a heartbreaker. I've been arguing for some time now that the idea of a "fantasy heartbreaker" is partially defunct now, because part of what makes a heartbreaker heartbreaking is that the creators are blowing a lot of money and resources on it. There are a lot of people making crappy D&D-a-likes or otherwise publishing their lovely homebrew ripoff as an original game, but these days most of them aren't wasting anything more than a lot of free time, maybe some money for art and layout, and whatever it costs to list things on DriveThruRPG. But the publisher of Fyxt managed to detonate his financial security to publish a game. How is he even doing that? What Fyxt-related resources are there that need to be housed on an expensive server, and which the creator believes he needs to host on an even more expensive server? I'm really curious now, is this like Eric Gibson and his crazy plans for a bunch of vague "online developer tools" for OpenD6?

quote:

One of the things that this industry needs to understand IMO is that a large number of players basically associate RPGs with a better time in their life (teenage or college years) and are trying to forever preserve these feelings in amber. The game is just a facilitator for unproductive wallowing in nostalgia and escapism into the realm of simpler times. So of course if you replace your college D&D 3.5 game with something new and improved then you've poked a hole in the bottom of the boat that's taking you to the land of teenage enchantment, so to speak.
I get that, kinda, but one thing I do not understand is how such fans have the free time for it as they get older. I gave up on really "simulationist" systems not just because of a change in philosophy but because I don't have the free time to spend hours and hours prepping and playing for very detailed rulesets. (Of course not everyone who is roleplaying to recapture their youth prefers complex rules, but I perceive a correlation there.) Gamers in their 30s and up don't conform to the stereotype of being single and childless, so I don't know how they do it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Are you sure it was a burn? There was a superhero RPG with that title in the late 90s.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Let's not pretend that the original Call of Cthulhu was meticulously loyal to the source material and had great rules. BRP was a clunky, hoary system and Chaosium was glad to define a playstyle through the mechanics and organize the mythos like Derleth did.

Really, I think most of the respect accorded to BRP Call of Cthulhu is due to the outstanding modules and supplements and the fact that a Lovecraftian horror game was very, very different from what was on offer both in roleplaying and pop culture in 1981. There's a reason that there are now several other games designed to do adventuring-party roleplaying in the Lovecraft mythos, some of which are trying to be Chaosium's CoC with a different ruleset, and some of which are trying to get past Chaosium's game to emulate subsets of the source materials more closely.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

4) A very friendly writing voice that assumes the person reading it has never played an RPG and explains terms like "campaign" and "role-playing"as though this is Basic D&D
Here's my new favourite introduction from a game:

quote:

As it says in the subtitle, The Gaean Reach is a roleplaying game. If you have no idea what that means, we congratulate you for accidentally stumbling upon this text, which is aimed at a fervent niche audience. We wish we had the space here to teach you the basics of the hobby. Find friends who know what roleplaying games are, and have them demonstrate the basic concept to you. Incessantly bug one of them until they run a session for you and your friends. You’ll be glad you did.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Speaking of indigenous populations in gaming, Varg Vikernes finally self-published MYFAROG, his D&D heartbreaker "based on European values, geography, (pre-) history, mythology, traditions and morals, and will offer you the opportunity to play a game in accordance with your own European nature."

That is all.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

dwarf74 posted:

You see, apart from the racist and 'moral' trash, this sort of thing is totally my poo poo, but I'm not giving the dude money to mine it for the not-awful bits.
Consider Robin Laws' Hillfolk instead.

moths posted:

He's going to completely ignore that black people lived in Medieval Europe, isn't he?

Varg Vikernes posted:

In MYFAROG what we would identify as mainland Norway is submerged under glaciers (and populated by ettins), but the Ice Age has long been ending so the climate is very much temperate (although located in the Arctic). This area, Northern Norway, is in real life known as Hålogaland (translated as «the holy land»), so I took this information and combined it with our myths about a lost continent, and I created this sacred «continent» up there in the North, where the deities in secret created the ̃ulêan race of men (i. e. the Europeans). However, ̃ulê has been discovered by other races of men, and even worse, by the ettins, and naturally they all have arrived in ̃ulê, and in their wake comes all sorts of troubles, challenges – and great opportunities for adventure!

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 21, 2015

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I love a particular sidebar from Hillfolk, which sums up a necessary thing for the majority of fantasy games:

I'm starting to think that Pelgrane Press is just great at this in general:

The Gaean Reach Roleplaying Game posted:

You Are Probably Either a Man or a Woman

As advanced persons of the far future, we acknowledge the equality of men and women, even at the gaming table. Where cruel syntactical exigencies force us to refer to a single hypothetical player, we use the male gender. When we refer to a hypothetical Game Moderator, we use “she” and its associated pronouns. This policy adds clarity to certain pronoun-stuffed sentences. Any overarching generalization about the maleness of players or femaleness of GMs we staunchly disavow.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The funny thing is that this is in spite of the fact that the source material for that game is Jack Vance books written mostly in the 60s and 70s, so pretty sexist as such things go. (Vance assumes that in a far-future space opera setting, people will still be using paper money, and women will still be mostly relegated to jobs like secretary, nurse, and damsel-in-distress.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
For those not familiar with Reign, bear in mind we are talking about a world where the two continents are two giants lying side by side in the ocean. His beard is a forest of giant trees. The Sunless Plains are in perpetual darkness because they are literally the armpit of the world. The sun literally rises and sets.

And people flipped their poo poo about not being able to play a paladin because this world has different :biotruths:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Hey, there are lots of fun places with mountains on Heluso and Milonda! Like the Maemeck Matriarchy, uh, and the Truil Wastes, and...you know what, nevermind.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Hey! He was lead author on a number of D20 products in the past decade. And he shared his wisdom with us here!

Edit: Serious question, have generic D20 supplements finally bit the dirt? People are still making stuff for Pathfinder and CoC, sure, but looking over release dates I'm surprised at how many people were still cranking them out even after 4e was released.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 27, 2015

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

NGDBSS posted:

On what basis was he hired, his design work or his industry connections collection of cronyist buddies from the 3E era?

Plague of Hats posted:

See ya later, Pathfinder!

Maybe he'll use this game as another opportunity to poo poo on people who want guns in their fantasy mishmash?

ProfessorCirno posted:

His "I hate this so it will be weak / I like this so it will be strong" bent comes out basically nonstop. He hated the idea of monster PCs, and what do you know, Savage Species is a terrible book. He hated the fluff for one of the cleric ideas he had in PF so he bragged about making it weak on the message boards, then immediately stated right after that balance is an ~*~illusion~*~ and is impossible to track. He's the very definition of "I have one specific playstyle I want to encourage, and anything outside of that must be punished."

Fsmhunk posted:

Okay, so basically they never knew what they were doing, has D&D ever been handled by a competent business?

Leperflesh posted:

TSR at the height of redbox basic D&D was doing pretty drat good. Those red boxes were sold at Toys R Us and Sears, they sold multiple millions of copies, and introduced D&D to a generation.
I'm not sure what I'm trying to say here, but I think the problem runs deeper than one developer or another being a jackass. Basically, I think the lunatics have been running the asylum for long enough that it's become normal.

I know that D&D designers acting like the most obnoxious sort of fan is not a new thing. At the dawn of the company there was Rob Kuntz, who in his tremendous arrogance decided that the fanbase could be divided into "creatives" and "dependents." Long story short, if you wanted D&D books to clearly communicate the intended playstyle, Rob wrote you off as a "dependent" who wanted to be spoonfed inferior products. (Rob was virtually Gary's adopted son and learned D&D from him, so lack of clarity wasn't his problem.) And this lovely attitude eventually led to, among other things, Basic D&D being jettisoned despite being an extremely profitable game, and years later, Rob Heinsoo having to fight with the rest of the 4th edition dev team to make a game that wasn't deliberately unbalanced in favour of some developers' personal tastes.

I know it's not news to anyone who posts regularly in this thread that Mearls, Reynolds, Buhlman, etc. are not good designers. What I wanted to point out is a pattern indicating that their only apparent job skill is touting a company dogma. To paraphrase Mark Twain, you tell me where a man gets his paycheck, and I'll tell you where he gets his opinions. I don't have knowledge of the office politics at WotC or Paizo, so I don't know how people get these developer positions and speculation would be pointless. (I also don't know what they call work. In all seriousness, with such apparently poor design skills, I don't know how Mike Mearls fills a workday supposedly designing games.) But apparently they keep them by staying "on-message" while saying what they think the base wants to hear, like any politician.

I think Dancey was the first one that got figured out. When he was head of WotC during the D20 boom, he proclaimed that system was everything and D20 was "reducing the demand for other systems to zero." When he left WotC, he claimed the business was dying. When he worked for CCP, RPGs were still dying but if you were going to make one, story was vital. When he worked for Paizo, it had always been his goal to make D&D an eternally living game that belonged to the people through the OGL. Now I believe he's finally reached the point where any fan who's aware of him is also aware of his reputation for saying whatever buzzwords shore up the patch of ground he's standing on.

I'm not sure what Reynolds does besides badmouth D&D 4th edition. He at least learned how to do so a little more tactfully than calling 4e cosmology "retarded," but as soon as he was out of Paizo he wrote a blog post in which he said that actually, it's okay if a fantasy world isn't a physics engine and fighters get to do things.

Mearls has said so many different conflicting things during his time at WotC that at one point I spent hours tracking how his presented viewpoint twisted and turned over the course of 4th and the development of 5th. Remember how much people who hated D&D 4th hated Mearls? Then he reached a point where he was repeating those fans' memes back at them to score points, and more-or-less openly deferring to people like Pundit and Zak S.

I don't expect any developer to be in love with every single design decision, or to badmouth their own products or company. I also expect them to focus more on the stuff they personally like; it's creative work you're supposed to be passionate about, and an inescapable bias. But you can't ascribe this behaviour to professionalism when you see all the other totally unprofessional poo poo they do. I guess this is part of a vicious circle where developers who are more fanboy than designer put too much stock in memes that crop up in discussion, repeat them back to the fanbase, and try to harness them. That's in addition to running their own product lines into the ground because they can't see beyond their own personal tastes.

Getting back to Mearls and WotC, I also used to track who was on the D&D development team, too. I'm not surprised that they're outsourcing development now; the core dev team has shrunk to a very small number of people. But what's most alarming is not the lack of staff but the lack of experience. To my knowledge, no one on the team has much experience developing, let alone designing, anything outside the D&D/D20 family of games. I'm amazed they even still have Crawford, who did Blue Rose. That lack of breadth has been a problem for the team for a long time, but at least for awhile there they had someone who had worked on Magic and some people who had been around for a long loving time. But for awhile there toward the end of 4e's lifecycle, I think the team was Mearls and a few guys who only had a handful of credits of any kind to their names.

D&D design must be a weird, insular little world. I have no idea how it operates or how it can possibly operate. WotC and Paizo must be some of the only companies who can provide what I assume is a living wage. But the result appears to be a situation wherein developing D&D is a job that a few fanboys somehow luck or wheedle their way into, then hope nobody figures out that they're just another loving fanboy. The lunatics are running the asylum. If somebody has the inside track, please explain to me how the gently caress this happened.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Bucnasti posted:

I personally know a lot of former WotC designers, only few from D&D and none of those very well, but the impression I've gotten is, if you're a good designer at WotC, you get recruited by a video game company who pays a whole lot better and you move on. This leaves behind the zealots, the inexperienced and the consistently mediocre.

The thing is to me, I don't even care if the design of D&D is very good or not, as long as it's not regressive. What I consider WotC's unforgivable sin is squandering of the brand. To the majority of the world D&D=Roleplaying, as hard as companies like Piazo might try to change it, the hobby and D&D are intertwined and probably always will be. Instead of using this position to lead the hobby forward and build it up by appealing to younger newer players they continue to go after an aging and shrinking demographic of people who already have a game they are happy with.
It's not entirely fair to compare D&D with Magic, because WotC has a lot more leverage when they change Magic. A bunch of people will bitch, but most of them will go along with it in the end, maybe even learn to appreciate positive changes, because nobody wants to gently caress off to play defunct formats forever. With D&D, if you don't like the new edition it's a lot easier and more fun to keep doing campaigns with an old edition and the same small circle of players than it is to do the equivalent with a CCG.

quote:

I wouldn't' even be that upset about it if I thought it was just ignorance on their part, but WotC has demonstrated that they can do it with Magic, where they bring in new waves of players all the time. They keep doing things to keep Magic fresh and relevant without regards to maintaining tradition or placating their older players, but D&D they seem to think needs to stay true to tradition or some bullshit.

Another problem with D&D is that its cultural cache has been thoroughly raided and the process started decades ago. TSR probably didn't have the wherewithal to go after the programmers who were blatantly making "Dungeons & Dragons: The Computer Game" in the late 70s, but those games led to an explosion of highly profitable console and PC games that owe a huge debt to D&D, but that TSR never literally cashed in on. The question now is what a D&D license for a game or movie offers that a studio can't get from licensing Diablo, WoW, or any of a hundred other games that are part of the genre D&D created but never successfully ruled outside of its original medium.
I don't think that Mearls is an ideologue, or even a particularly zealous edition warrior. He's a fanboy who made good, more or less, and making the official D&D into Mike's AD&D/3e Hack is just the result of that; it's the limit of his design skills and he doesn't care to improve.

Total speculation on my part, but it's also possible that WotC has sent the message that innovation wouldn't be rewarded. I have no evidence to suggest that D&D isn't profitable, but even if it weren't, I think WotC would let the brand keep doing what it's doing--put out a new edition corebook and the bare minimum supplements every few years, with a very small team and anything else contracted out. WotC/Hasbro can afford to just sit on the brand until the next profitable license comes along.

Kai Tave posted:

There's a kernel of truth to what FMguru is saying or at least there was. Games Workshop has generally never been concerned about pandering to the hardcore "diehard fanbase" the way that D&D is currently doing with Next, they've always been more interested in courting Little Timmy the 12 year old who sees a window display of space marines with chainsaw swords and pesters mom and dad to drop hundreds of dollars so he can have his own army of chainsawmen (and also official Citadel paints and official Citadel brushes and official Citadel etceteras). Of course when Little Timmy turns 18 he may pack away all his half-painted miniatures in a box to gather dust in the attic, but by then there's a new crop of 12 year olds to enthrall.

I also think that there's a slight but important distinction to make between actively courting new players and markets, which successful games like Magic do, and simply not giving a poo poo about your older fans which is what GW does.
I think Palladium is the ultimate example of catering only to your longtime diehard fans.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's almost as if a product line doesn't do well when its lead developer deliberately screws it up because he doesn't like it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
As far as What Gary Wanted is concerned, remember he went on to design Dangerous Journeys and Lejendary Adventure, which were not very good and rather behind the times. He later said that Castles & Crusades was basically what he wanted AD&D 3rd Edition to be, but he had a business relationship with Troll Lord and Gygax was always a huckster, to put it bluntly.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Cook's alive. So are Rob Kuntz, Tim Kask, and Jim Ward. As far as I know, most of the early module writers are still around, too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
When it comes to poor customer service, Whitman is old-school. He entered the business about 20 years ago and immediately established a reputation for poor customer service and fighting with fans on the Internet.

Whitman is not well-known among fans because he's a printer, and most of his interactions are directly with small-press publishers. He co-founded the company that published Traveller 4th edition, and hasn't done any design or writing since then. Over the years he's fought allegations of printing books that were late, poorly-printed, or never delivered at all, as well as reprinting and selling Traveller books to which he didn't actually have the rights. I remember an incident wherein a small printing company bought his used equipment, then had to publicly state that they were not in business with him.

Eventually he went on fora and threatened anyone who said bad things about him with a libel suit. RPGnet probably did him a favour by banning him.

I doubt anybody had to "dig up" his vacation pictures, because when he's called out, he loves bragging about how great he is. According to him he's rich, all his businesses make huge profits, he singlehandedly boosted GenCon's business in the 90s, he was an all-star football player, and he lives in a literal castle (that his wife inherited and runs as a hotel). He's a pretty amazing troll.

On the balance, I think it's a good thing people are being warned that he has a history of shady practices, unfulfilled promises, and failed companies.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

MalcolmSheppard posted:

I think Mike Mearls is a fine game designer, but he's not designing "his" D&D. Nobody working at that level designs a game entirely the way they want to. Really, much of his early work presages 4e. He submitted the basic concept of 4e hit points at his interview with WotC. I think he's not a bad creative writer either, but that doesn't really shine through. Still, some of his talent shines through in early work, where the creative side is a little less leashed to the technical. Blood Bayou for Scarred Lands is fun, for instance. Iron Heroes was highly innovative for its time as well.

Mainly though, I think you guys should treat anything you read from him on social media as business communications. WotC has formal contractual obligations and employee policies that ensure that while Mearls is never lying to you, he's not giving you 100% of his opinions. Combined with the consensus he has to build to design anything, you should consider Mike Mearls, D&D designer, as not necessarily indicative of his real opinions or talents. I personally think there's something at WotC that keeps staff from really doing their best, but I really don't know what it is.
I don't assume that Mearls has complete and total creative freedom. I don't know if he reports to anyone on design decisions, but clearly when you're working on D&D, many possible changes are untenable. As for his design work, I think it's fair to say that reception of Essentials and Heroes of Shadow was mixed.

Nor do I assume that Mearls believes everything he says. (I don't think anyone here buys into that.) For example, when Mearls casually derides warlords healing as "shouting limbs back on," he's bullshitting. He understands the logic behind how martial healing works. I think he's a lovely developer because he thinks repeating memes like that constitutes good business communications. Maybe it is good for business. Maybe recruiting a fascist and a serial harasser as consultants is good for business, too. Maybe the hobby really is that lovely.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

FMguru posted:

He's kept a game company going and publishing for 35-plus years without interruption.
I've always thought this was kind of a bullshit point in itself, but even if Palladium had closed when it stopped being relevant, it would still be very important to the history of the medium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, Buffalo Castle was released in '76. It was first in the pack by quite a margin.

Speaking of Palladium and licensed RPGs, there were quite a few licensed properties before TMNT in '85. They weren't the first company to make it their focus--that would be Chaosium. They were certainly influential and got a lot of people into the hobby. (Although the Rifts ads in Marvel comics probably brought in more.)

The first licensed RPG was supposedly Dallas. But from what I've heard, Dallas was really more of a card-based game with a freewheeling negotiation phase, not a roleplaying game as we would think of it. Though the way narrative RPGs have come back around to being scenario-based and having a set endpoint, you might. (Just to head this off at the pass, the game was not a "Who shot J.R." murder mystery. He's a playable character.)

• Locked thread