Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
Yeah, I was planning to stick with the decryption action until it's cracked or someone starts shooting at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Aguinaldo Avenue

Noise hacks away at the network, scrubbing aside Ares' obscuring code to get closer to the juicy data.

Back outside, the reinforcing agent with the deathworm slug in his shoulder trades back a pair of shots at Nail, the beams cutting through the night air to try to catch him ducking around the corner.

With Nail under fire, the wounded agent in the alley abandons her malfunctioning pack, creeping to the corner to fire on Nail's exposed flank and catch him in a crossfire. The lensed pistol doesn't even buck as it spews out a stream of concentrated light at the ork.

-
Turn 2/Pass 1:
Noise keeps hacking. Also, I read the initiate section again and it turns out you can actually leave the decrypt program to hack away by itself, so I kludged it and just rolled twice to account for you both working on it. I got 6 hits cumulative so far, it'll decrypt the signal at 8.
The wounded agent in the alley takes a pistol shot at Nail for 3 hits, DV 5 (AP -half)
The wounded reinforcement dude shoots Nail for 5 and 3 hits. You get +2 to Reaction to defend due to cover, and DV is 7P (AP -half). You have +2 cover against this shot.
The other wounded reinforcement, still full of bullet holes courtesy Natalya, succeeds on the bod+wil test to stand up and moves into position to sight Nail.

Vincent, Nail, Natalya and Stormcrow are up (the spirit is ready to go now, they have good speed so can make it to any of the two agents nearby).
Noise, you can also take your action for the top of pass 2.

Noise: 19 (3) [4P]
Wounded female agent: 16 [5P, weapon disabled]
Wounded Reinforcement Agent 1: 15 [4P, Low pain threshold]
Wounded Reinforcement Agent 2: 14 [10P, prone]
Vincent: 13 (2)
Nail: 12 (2)
Natalya: 12 (2)
Stormcrow: 7 (2)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Natalya

Leaving one rooftop for another, Natalya lighted upon a nearby building in a three-point crouch, cybereyes imperceptibly whirring as she tracked Vincent's fleeing form. ::Aaaaaand now he's heading west along the road,:: she said to Lieutenant Aitkens. ::Look, he could be at this for a while. Just tell everybody to keep their eyes out for a lunatic in a trenchcoat...excuse me, I need to take this call.::

She listened as Mara reported that reinforcements, in a matter of speaking, would be arriving shortly. ::Splendid. And not a moment too soon. Everybody,:: she sent to the others, ::you might want to stay very, very far away from the southwestern part of the neighborhood for the foreseeable future. Trust me, you'll see why,:: she said with a subvocal giggle as she quietly stalked across the roof, leaning her Ingram out over the edge and casually sending a pair of bursts towards the annoying woman in the suit who simply refused to stay down.

I'm shooting at the woman in the alley, the one at 5P damage. I figure Stormcrow's spirit can get the guy at 10P. Ingram Smartgun X loaded with EX-explosive, that's 6P AP -1 base damage, firing two bursts.

13d6t5 = 6 (narrow burst, +2DV)

11d6t5 = 4 (wide burst, -2 to defense roll)

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Nail

Knowing when to duck and when to fire is important for a long life as a runner. AS one round slams into the back of Nail's armor he spins around, he spins around narrowly avoiding being sprayed laser beams.

Full defense
dodge female agent: 11d6t5 2 off to a bad start!
soak damage: 15d6t5 4 So far at 2 stun damage

dodge male agent?: 12d6t5 6 dodged!
dodge male agent 2?: 11d6t5 4 dodged!

Not as bad as I thought. But if Nail survives this encounter, he's going to be looking for something more than an armored jacket to protect himself.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Apropos of nothing, once this encounter is over don't forget that you've got a boatload of karma banked up too. I don't know if you were saving for anything important but whatever it is you can probably afford it assuming we don't manage to die horribly.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

Apropos of nothing, once this encounter is over don't forget that you've got a boatload of karma banked up too. I don't know if you were saving for anything important but whatever it is you can probably afford it assuming we don't manage to die horribly.

Yeah, I know I have a lot of karma to spend. At one time I know I had a plan for it, not so much now so I'll have to figure something out.

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
Noise

Oh dear, Nat has a surprise brewing in the southwest quadrant. Given the previous misadventures, that probably means she found a nest of awakened albino toxic sewer gators and is about to detonate a kilo of aerosolized Bac-O-Smell additive to drive them into a pork-fueled frenzy. Or something. Still, best to get moving.

"C'mon, Crow, can't you cast any faster? I'm not sure I want to be this close to any more surprises."

Ares tacnet encryption was pretty good, annoyingly enough. An AR whistle calls his draconic agent icon over to the problem, where it starts worrying away at integers and crypto algorithms like a terrier with a rat.

I did not know that the decrypt program would run itself once started up. Neat.
Decrypting Ares Tacnet: 9d6t51

Not great. Let's have my agent try as well.
Decrypting Ares Tacnet (agent): 9d6t5 5

Well done, little buddy.

Do you have to maintain touch range on that healing spell until it becomes permanent?

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Stormcrow

Stormcrow's Daitengu strode toward him, frost already forming on the ground and the boxes of old fireworks in the warehouse as the thing's aura of preternatural cold began to wash out over them. The white haired elf made a small gesture of respect and gratitude to the spirit, before gesturing through the window at the Ares agents.

"I need you to kill all of the ones with the metal boxes on their backs. Be as swift and as brutal as you need to be."

The spirit nodded, and then unsheathed its sword, vanishing from mundane site as it stepped into the astral to attack the nearest agent.

He shrugged at Noise. "It takes as long as it takes. I'm calling on divine power to rewrite the primal order of the cosmos so that your flesh knits itself back together. Does that sound like something you want rushed?"

I don't see anything that says I have to maintain touch for the whole time the spell is being cast. There's something in the spellcasting section about moving sustained spells that have an area of effect, but nothing about touch spells. I think we're good as long as you remain in eyesight for the next turn or so?

Baby Babbeh fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 11, 2014

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Yep the FAQ clarified you don't need to remain touching them (actually you don't even need LOS to sustain most of the time, just for moving area things as Babbeh said).

Also Nail, remember those laser weapons are resisted with half armour.

Okay, Vincent, what's your plan? Ignore Smith and make your escape, or keep playing bait?

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

children overboard posted:

Also Nail, remember those laser weapons are resisted with half armour.

Yeah, the only thing that hit is the lady agent which I forgot the half armor when rolling but dropping the last 4 dice from the roll to account for the half armor doesn't change the number of hits I got so didn't even mention it.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

children overboard posted:

Okay, Vincent, what's your plan? Ignore Smith and make your escape, or keep playing bait?[/i]

Aaaaah Smith's plan is so bad and I would be better bait running away so they have to chase me, instead of sitting patiently in a building so they get to do a run on it.

Vincent Coll

"You had one chance, and now I'm gone. Next time you see me, you're dead." Vincent pulls the commlink from his face and snaps it in half. That lunatic Mr. Smith might have the tactical sense of a dead rat, but if Vincent wanted Ares' support, he wouldn't be able to pull out until the rest of the ambush was also running away. And that meant sitting quietly in the newspaper building until even those braindead firewatch mooks wanted to leave.

Well, for a consolation prize he might get to watch Smith die. "Specs!" he shouts. "You better be in that goddamn car driving away!"

Back into the newspaper building.

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
I'm just gonna have to cancel this, I only managed to post about six times since I tried to restart it :saddowns:. I hate to put a bullet in it cause I had a lot of fun running it and I wanted to see where this was going, but even though I thought I was recovered I'm still just having too many queasy/sleepy days where brain not work good and I can't think of words (which is AWFUL because my job involves a fair bit of writing). Sorry bout this :(.

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
Stuff happens. I had a blast playing - thanks for taking on a total newbie to PbP and the forums. Try to feel better.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, it happens, 's cool. Your health comes first. Thanks for running it, this was probably the most enjoyable Shadowrun game I've gotten to play. That goes for everyone else too. Take care and get better soon.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Yes, this was an awesome game. You were a great GM. Two of my favorite Shadowrun games I've played in were run by you. This and Shadowrun:Vengance. Thanks for running this as long as you did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

No worries thanks for running it. This was a super fun game and it went off the rails in the best way possible.

• Locked thread