Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Hall is a great pick but poo poo man over Stamkos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Edit: Talking about picks not made yet.

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 9, 2013

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Verviticus posted:

taylor hall really really owns and it's funny to see all these people who dont get that

he's an oiler and hes one of my fav players because of how good he is

He's very good, but he's not "better than Stamkos and (players I will not name because I pick after the next guy)"

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

elmer fud posted:

hopefully this guy edits his post

hey that's cool, let the next guy know who I wanted to pick in case he forgot about him, thanks man i owe you one

Paulocaust fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 9, 2013

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Yeah, new rule - no talking about upcoming picks? Talk about picks that have, I don't know, already happened?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Good rule.

NO MENTIONING UNDRAFTED PLAYERS. Only discuss current picks and in context of previous ones.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Paulocaust posted:

hey that's cool, let the next guy know who I wanted to pick in case he forgot about him, thanks man i owe you one

Edited whoops

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
taylor hall is not as good as sidney crosby. and uh, nothing else.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

Austrian mook posted:

Hall is a great pick but poo poo man over Stamkos?

The thing is, since he can't trade a pick he needs to pick the player he wants now. If he wanted Taylor Hall there was no way he would get Taylor Hall at the end of the 2nd round.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Taylor Hall is good as hell, I don't think anyone is denying that, but there's no way I'm taking him in the top 5 of a draft like this. He's not even the best player in his general age group.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

We should probably stop talking about that player that hasn't been drafted yet.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Spamtron7000 posted:

The thing is, since he can't trade a pick he needs to pick the player he wants now. If he wanted Taylor Hall there was no way he would get Taylor Hall at the end of the 2nd round.

Yeah. I'm ok with someone wanting to build their team around a guy who has two memorial cup MVPs and was an absolute monster in those playoff runs. I'm very excited to see what he can do with Edmonton if they finally make the playoffs in a few years.

e: VVVV or that.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 9, 2013

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
maybe he's going for a cup THIS YEAR and wants hall's ELC?

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Welp, see you guys with my pick in ten hours.

(this is why we should have shorter picking times)

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Paulocaust posted:

Welp, see you guys with my pick in ten hours.

(this is why we should have shorter picking times)

It hasn't been too long man. But yeah we can make pick times six hours and if you don't think you can make yours, provide a list. After he picks we will change that rule. I PMed him.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If you make pick times 6 hours you need to give time for people to sleep, especially if we're spread out between PST-EST.

I know you can send in lists, but at some point you'll get to a pick at 2 AM, and even if the next few have submitted a list you'll eventually hit someone without a list who isn't going to wake up before 8 AM in whatever time zone.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Six hours is rough, I'm sure I'd get stuck with a window of like 1:15 AM - 7:15 AM somehow. Also, are any of the Euro guys who post in the hockey threads playing? They're obviously going to be on different schedule.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

eXXon posted:

If you make pick times 6 hours you need to give time for people to sleep, especially if we're spread out between PST-EST.

I know you can send in lists, but at some point you'll get to a pick at 2 AM, and even if the next few have submitted a list you'll eventually hit someone without a list who isn't going to wake up before 8 AM in whatever time zone.

Can we wait more than say, 3 picks and an hour to modify the drafting rules? Chill out bros.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
The scrum-diddly-umptious Los Angeles Kings and all of your ladies agree to the rules.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

True. Alright we will stick with 12 hours on the hope that most picks will be made fairly quickly.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

eXXon posted:

In another draft, this was addressed by having a nighttime grace period in which your countdown clock stopped ticking, so you had a few hours in the day in which to make your pick, but at night, your time would stand still from like, 12-8am EST or something like that, unless you chose to make the pick during the grace period.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i think slow and uncomplicated is good enough

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
No harm in waiting to see how the first round shakes out before we go and change things.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

eXXon posted:

I'm curious as to what you think Hall is going to do better than Stamkos because 'score goals' doesn't seem to be it. Hit more and be injured more or something?

Well, before I begin, I think it's really difficult to make the case for Hall at the moment, mostly because Stamkos is the one that is only a season removed from 60 goals, and has continually put up 90+ point seasons since his second season, and would probably break that mark if this were a full season. However, a few things went into my decision:

1. Hall is a top-5 pick in this sort of draft, and I am really surprised about the response to this. Hall is already an elite player, and is on the verge of becoming that much better. (for reference, I like this blog post: http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/04/09/taylor-hall-is-now-one-of-the-best-players-in-hockey/)
2. Would you buy the team argument? As in, Stamkos has St. Louis to play with, whereas Edmonton has a glut of young guys all battling for their position on the team. I don't really think of Eberle as highly as others do, and I really think that Hall is a clear step above his teammates, and as he grows, so will the team's fortunes. I realize this makes it seem like I think Stamkos is a product of St. Louis (he isn't), but more so that I think it's a bit more difficult to see Hall's ability.
3. Contracts were a factor. Stamkos is already signed to a 7.5mil deal for three more years (well, I guess four within this draft), and after that, what? He's going to be, if he maintains this level of excellence, the highest paid player in the league. Hall has one more year on his ELC, and then is signed to a $6 million cap hit until after the 19-20 season. It's already a great deal, but it will be an absolute bargain soon.
4. I think I mentioned this in my post, but I really think that this will look like a better pick next year. For some reason, Hall is grossly underappreciated, and I am not sure why. I think it has something to do with injuries limiting his playing time, which has the illusion that they are worse than they actually are (Plus, if we are looking at goal scoring, I don't think Hall is a slug. No one in the league, other than the version of Ovie of old can score like Stamkos. But, it's not like Hall is terrible. I can see him topping out as a 40-goal guy). Plenty of people were questioning the decision to sign him to that extension last summer, mostly because of the price. I think Hall has silenced those critics. Next year, he's gonna take the next step, and he's gonna own bones and everyone will be like "oh man, I really wish I didn't doubt Twin Cinema's brilliance at drafting. Let's anoint him our SAS god!" Of course, I will graciously decline that honour, but just you wait.
5. He isn't going to be around when I pick next, and it also kinda came down to personal preference. I saw it as too close to call, so I went with my gut instinct.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

We're going to control what we can control. Things will fall where they may.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

I think the main thing here moving forward is we're looking for players that are good character guys who fit onto our hockey team, and if the price is heavy then we're still going to be willing to pay it because you can't put a price on finding the right fits for your hockey club.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
hmmm how does one tank in a fantasy draft hmmm

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
We really need to draft coaches too that would be hella rad. Maybe make up a separate draft order for coaches and do that after this part of the draft is concluded? Coaches have such a huge amount to do with how a team performs.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

T-Bone posted:

hmmm how does one tank in a fantasy draft hmmm

Only draft players still on their ELCs.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

*grunt*

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Vigilance posted:

We really need to draft coaches too that would be hella rad. Maybe make up a separate draft order for coaches and do that after this part of the draft is concluded? Coaches have such a huge amount to do with how a team performs.

Believe we're gonna do supplemental for coaches/unsigned + undrafted folks after the big show if everyone isn't sick of this by then

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

The people of Minnesota know the hockey they want, and we're here to give it to them as a championship contender. I've surrounded myself with a crowd of minds that will put together a strong cohesive roster full of exemplary players to compete in the National Hockey League.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Why don't you take a seat? It's time for To Draft A Predator

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I am proud to announce that not only is Tumbling Ryan Kesler off the IR he's accepted the role of honourary GM of the Columbus Blue Jackets this year!

I mostly chose him because I'd never seen Doughty doing the wanker motion before and it's great

This is a snaking draft so I have picks 30 and 31 right?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Yes.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Two more people should join so we can see what it would be like in the world of 32 NHL teams. Add the Nordiques and the Seattle Metropolitans to the end of the draft order while you still can. (Note, I am not volunteering for this because I do not trust my ability in evaluating players based on skill, contract length, and/or value.)

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
To represent the Tampa Bay Lightning we have this ridiculously 90's alternate jersey.

Edit: Also we're going to draft players. Players who play hockey. Drafting hockey players is a process. If you draft a hockey player on Monday, you can also draft one on Tuesday. And you can build on that.

Chairman Wao fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 9, 2013

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Our strategy is to spend money on the right player at the right price.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

Things will be different, NYI fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I've never seen a picture of Kevin Cheveldayoff, so another native son will have to do.

Southern expansion, stay away from me,
Southern expansion, momma let me be....

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 9, 2013

• Locked thread