Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Sorry about the wait. Anywho, with the 4th pick in the SAS NHL Draft, the San Jose Sharks select Evgeni Vladimirovich Malkin.

Pos: Centre
Cap Hit: $8,700,000
Signed Through: 2013-14

Let's get one thing straight; as a Flyers fan, I loathe Malkin. However, there's no denying that he's one of the elite playmakers in the NHL. After all, he's the reigning Art Ross Award and Hart Trophy winner. With Malkin being only 26 this season, he's got a ton of productive seasons ahead of him, making him a perfect player to build around for both short-term and long-term success. Of course, this means signing Malkin to a contract extension is a high priority for San Jose.

Also, the marketing guys think they can do something with the goofy animal photos he always takes.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Paulocaust and the Maple Leafs are up.

Also:

________/
gently caress defense, gotta have forwards!

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
With the 5th overall pick, the Toronto Maple Leafs select Erik Karlsson.

Pos: Defense
Cap Hit: $6,500,000
Signed Through: 2018-19

How was this guy not picked yet? I guess public perception of him hasn't matched his skillset quite yet, because we're talking about a guy that that won the Norris trophy at 22. In fact, the only player to win it at a younger age was fuckin' Bobby Orr. He's a force on the blueline, putting up 19 goals and 78 points last year, while continuing his near point-per-game pace this year until getting injured. Advanced stats show that he's the best in the game at moving the puck out of his own zone, which means our team will be spending a lot more time in the offensive zone. Plus, his contract is extremely manageable, if not great, at only 6.5m a year until 2019. No doubt Karlsson has many more Norris trophies in him, and although 78 points by a defenseman in today's NHL is almost unheard of in itself, he absolutely has the skillset to become only the 6th NHL defenseman in history to score 100 points in a season. Karlsson's a steal at #5.

Paulocaust fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 10, 2013

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Karlsson's a solid pick, almost took him myself. Just couldn't justify passing on Geno though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Karlsson is nasty but there's no way in hell he'll ever get 100 points unless the NHL does something silly with rule changes.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vigilance posted:

Karlsson is nasty but there's no way in hell he'll ever get 100 points unless the NHL does something silly with rule changes.

I don't know man. 78 points as a 22 year old isn't that far off from 100 at some point in your career. Unlikely but certainly possible.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

I don't know man. 78 points as a 22 year old isn't that far off from 100 at some point in your career. Unlikely but certainly possible.

100 is absolutely insane. The best forwards in the league struggle to hit that number. Goalies and defense are just too good. It would take a ton of puck luck for Karlsson to get there.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think with more support up front aside from Spezza it isn't out of the realm of possibility. A very slim chance, but still a chance.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I agree to the rules.

But I don't know whether to hire Irate Jimmy Howard or Sarcastic Mike Babcock as my team's GM. :ohdear:

MJeff fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 10, 2013

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vigilance posted:

100 is absolutely insane. The best forwards in the league struggle to hit that number. Goalies and defense are just too good. It would take a ton of puck luck for Karlsson to get there.

Some years 100 is more achievable than others. Shifts in coaching and team philosophies as much as in rule changes. He scores 78 in one of the lowest scoring eras ever.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
He's gonna get to open up on Buffalo, Florid and Tampa like six times a year starting next year, I wouldn't put anything outside the realm of possibility for Karlsson.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

100 points may never be attainable but hey, maybe 85-90. Anyway, Senators are up!

jopo
Jan 29, 2007

Kovalev out 6-8 months with lazy bones

What the gently caress do you mean I don't pick first? That's madness.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Paulocaust you get minus a million points for failing to include a picture of Burke with Murray saying "You know your guy? Yeah? We're taking him."

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

I've been trying to find a photo of Doug Wilson not looking like a smug litte poo poo, but I'm not sure such thing exists.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
non-lou non-canon post: After ranking my top 30 or so, I don't think I'm going to get any of the guys I really want at #20 :mad:

e: plus I don't really get to control my round with a sandwich pick, #20 blows

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

T-Bone posted:

non-lou non-canon post: After ranking my top 30 or so, I don't think I'm going to get any of the guys I really want at #20 :mad:

e: plus I don't really get to control my round with a sandwich pick, #20 blows

Yeah, it's kinda like in fantasy. Picking at like 17-23ish sucks

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

eXXon posted:

Paulocaust you get minus a million points for failing to include a picture of Burke with Murray saying "You know your guy? Yeah? We're taking him."

Holy gently caress, I didn't even realize they were picking next. That would have been so perfect.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

myron cope posted:

Yeah, it's kinda like in fantasy. Picking at like 17-23ish sucks

:sigh: tell me about it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Is 17-23 worse than 7-13? I don't know but I'd love to find out, except we managed all of 5 picks before the first jackass to take 12 hours while posting in other threads about hockey. Thanks, Hirez!

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
There is something very conflicting about Karlsson being selected by the Maple Leafs. Also, remember when some rear end in a top hat thought the Sens should use a compliance buyout on him? What an rear end in a top hat.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

revtoiletduck posted:

There is something very conflicting about Karlsson being selected by the Maple Leafs. Also, remember when some rear end in a top hat thought the Sens should use a compliance buyout on him? What an rear end in a top hat.

I do remember that. People were saying Karlsson was way overpaid and will clearly regress hard. Some people are so reliant on over-analyzation and armchair GMing.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Alright, since Hirez has been actively posting and hasn't responded to my PM, I will be contacting the consensus group for his next pick.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

How about just replacing him, because if you can't be bothered to make a #6 overall pick then chances are slim for numbers 55, 67, etc.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

eXXon posted:

How about just replacing him, because if you can't be bothered to make a #6 overall pick then chances are slim for numbers 55, 67, etc.

Not yet. If it happens again, we will do so. People need more than one chance.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

As decided upon by the consensus, the Ottawa Senators have made their pick.

JOHN TAVARES, 22, F
Cap: $5.5m through 2017-18

Stunned that he fell this far, especially considering his contract, which I think is the best in the league. Other than Crosby, I would argue that Tavares is the best playmaker in the NHL. Still just 22 and dragging the Islanders into a likely playoff spot this year, his vision, passing, play around the net, and his work ethic make him one of the premier players to build a team around. Ottawa got lucky, as Tavares was seen as clearly the best player on the board by the consensus team.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Man, I was really hoping he'd fall to 25th - I sure hope I can get some of his stellar linemates at that pick.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I was hoping he fell to 22nd but I knew there was no way he was making it past 10th at the most.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I would have drafted him second overall.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Carolina is on the clock!

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Well I guess you know IANSS that Tavares was not one of my top 3 players that I would have selected at that spot, since I sent you my list last night for the #8 pick.

The thing that gives me some concern about Tavares and ultimately influenced his standing on my draft board is that in the past he appears to have been a pretty mediocre possession player. Over the past 3 full seasons (2009-2012) at even strength, players on the Islanders have directed roughly the same ratio of shots at the opposition net whether Tavares was on the ice or not. It seems like one of the stranger outcomes of the last few years considering whatever elite talent the Islanders do have would have been on a line with Tavares, and it should not have been too difficult to stand out on those teams.

He does have elite playmaking and finishing talent though, so he makes the best of the oppurtunities he does get, and there seems to have been a major correction in his possession stats for this season - no doubt a large part of the reason why the Islanders are where they are in the standings. I don't think anyone can really complain about that pick.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

That argument doesn't sit with me.

First, you are referring to his age 18-21 seasons on a team with he, Moulson, and hot nasty filthy garbage. You can only do so much, and he managed to do quite a lot.

Also, as he has aged, he has gotten bigger, stronger, and better with each season. He is tough to knock off the puck. However, Tavares doesn't play a possession game. The reason why he is so dangerous is his vision and quickness. He'll have the puck and a split second later he will make a perfect pass or shot that nobody ever saw coming. His ability to slow things down and make a ridiculously efficient play is unparalleled outside of Sidney Crosby. And he's 22. If you put a supporting cast around Tavares he is a 100-point player making $5.5m for the foreseeable future.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

^^^^ f u all and your committees!!! exclamation.

I, general manager Robert F. Clarke Sr. IV of the Carolina Hurricanes (don't ask), am here today to present my selection for the SASNHL entry draft number 7 overall pick... what is whose name is it again? Uh, let me find a picture somewhere and maybe...

Claude Giroux was born in a log cabin furnished by his own hands in St. Emile-de-la-concorde-beautemps-tabernak-mon-amour-de-sangfroid-poutine-sur-le-droite-l'enfer, Quebec, Canada. Carbon dating of his dental records suggest that this occurred approx. 1987. Since then, what'shisname has scored many goals, several points, done a thing in the playoffs, and most importantly been named official hockey player of the year by the top sporting journalism source in the world, EA Sports. He will cost less than 4 mega fun bucks in the upcoming season and will be a restricted free agent so he can be counted on to be a cornerstone of this franchise for the next century. Also, my scouts inform me that his playoff performances leave little to be desired, an important asset for a team which is guaranteed to be in the playoffs in alternating years. I strongly believe that he is a centre man.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I think this was the dude I'm looking for why won't you attach the picture??

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Forgot about Giroux. Sacred you're up, and Wild is next, so be ready.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
I'm not a regular poster, just a hardcore lurker, but I'm scared the day I forget to check the thread will be during my turn. Technically some days only two picks could be made, others we could burn through 20 picks in half an hour. I'm sure it will be fine but I do have PMs so if someone could give me a heads up for my turn (Islanders) that would be awesome. :)

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

mozza posted:

I'm not a regular poster, just a hardcore lurker, but I'm scared the day I forget to check the thread will be during my turn. Technically some days only two picks could be made, others we could burn through 20 picks in half an hour. I'm sure it will be fine but I do have PMs so if someone could give me a heads up for my turn (Islanders) that would be awesome. :)

If it's been an hour or so, I've been PMing everyone to remind them. No worries.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

The Buffalo Sabres select Jonathan Toews with the 8th overall selection of the SAS NHL Fantasy Draft

That's right kids, Toews will be bringing the cup to Buffalo some day soon!

Cap Hit - $6,300,000 through the 2014-15 season

I think this is pretty much the obvious pick at this position in the draft, Toews is probably the best player on probably the best team in the league, and his peak years are still ahead of him. The goal coming into the draft was to select 3 or 4 quality core players with preference being given to the younger stars in the league, and this pick obviously goes a long way towards accomplishing that objective. It becomes much easier to fill in the spaces around these players when one or more of them has the ability to contribute in every facet of the game.

I mean basically Toews is one of maybe 2 or 3 guys in the entire league other than Crosby who's name you could provide with a straight face when somebody asks the old question of "If you could have one player to build your team around, who would it be?". He has amazing puck possession skills, as his team has directed upwards of 58% of all even strength shots towards the opposition net when he's on the ice the last 3 years vs. 52% when he's off. That +6% difference over that time span has only been matched by the Sedin brothers in Vancouver among all the forwards in the league. Toews has shown the ability to play 20 minutes a night and above against the best players the opposition can put on the ice, and dominate the game all the same. He is recognized is one of the elite defensive players among forwards in the NHL, and a top player in the face off dot and at the shootout to boot. I don't think there's any way to go wrong picking best player available, and I feel that's clearly what I've done here. I guess I can admit that Toews would have been my number 2 pick in the draft behind Crosby, but I'm interested to hear what you guys have to say on that point.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I think Toews is definitely a top five guy, and would not argue much at 2. 8th he is a steal, although he will be due for a big raise after the next season.

Wild is up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

i am not so sure posted:

I think Toews is definitely a top five guy, and would not argue much at 2. 8th he is a steal, although he will be due for a big raise after the next season.

Wild is up!

Yeah I could see him being the first player to take down a 10 million dollar cap hit if league revenues go up as much as they seem to be. Toews is the most important player on the Hawks, and if they lose him to free agency it will be very tough to recover for Chicago. I'll be picking some players on expiring contracts in the middle rounds of the draft to free up some space for that big raise in a couple years time.

• Locked thread