Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

After seeing how cool the baseball version of this was, I couldn't help myself. An NHL 13 Draft would be cool but not all of us have that and it's impossible when you're waiting on so many picks all the time. So, we're going to do it the hard way, but it's going to be fun as hell to do if it's done right. Here's the gist of it.

30 goons, first come first serve. You pick your team and act as it's drafting GM.

This is a fantasy draft which means you are drafting your team from all current players on professional contracts (NHL/AHL only). Prospects playing in juniors or overseas are NOT ELIGIBLE. You are going to draft a team any way you'd like, whether it's to spend little and have a team of young guys for the future, or a stacked older team to win now. Your choice entirely.

The draft order will be snaking and randomly chosen, and as players are picked, I will be updating the OP with the results so we can all see who's been picked. This requires research behind each pick, really. I mean it's a lot harder than it seems, especially when you reach the later rounds. You can pick ANYBODY. The goal is that we wind up with a 50-contract team. It's demanding, but if we go slow and have fun, it doesn't matter how long it takes. Just keep in mind: hurry up if you can.

What makes this fun? With each pick, you will explain your pick. Why did you choose this player and what kind of team are you trying to build? And after each pick, we're all free to rag on you for picking Matt Stajan to be your second-line center.

RULES
1. Again, any player not signed to an NHL or AHL contract is not eligible to be drafted.
2. We are drafting based on an NHL salary cap of $70.3 million. This figure and NOT next year's lower cap, is the figure, considering amnesty buyouts and whatnot have not yet occurred. In other words, nobody would draft Vincent Lecavalier with a $64 million cap, but now maybe they would.
3. YOU HAVE 12 HOURS TO MAKE YOUR PICK. You have the right to PM me and ask me to announce your pick in the thread for you, or to ask for a small extension, or to present a list of players you would want if you are unable to be present for the pick, but if you don't communicate with me and lose your pick, a pick will be made for you as a consensus of myself and two other neutral parties. This pick will be kept with your current team and situation in mind. IF YOU MISS THREE CONSECUTIVE PICKS, YOU WILL BE KICKED FROM THE DRAFT, and the first person on the waiting list will take over for you.
4. You must, to some degree, explain your pick to keep everyone involved and encourage discussion.
5. Abide by general roster rules, in that you'll have a 23-man NHL roster, requiring two goalies, twelve forwards, and six defensemen, at the least. Also the minimum cap applies.
6. NO MENTIONING UNDRAFTED PLAYERS. Only discuss current picks and in context of previous ones.
7. BE COMMITTED. PLEASE. If you don't think you're going to be able to do this thing (it's long-winded and daunting), be a bystander. Please.

Any other rules or ideas you guys have before we start, bring them up here. But now is the time to sign up!

TEAMS

EAST
New Jersey Devils -- i am not so sure
Pittsburgh Penguins -- Vigilance
Philadelphia Flyers -- mentholmoose
New York Islanders -- mozza
New York Rangers -- Zodijackylite

Toronto Maple Leafs -- Paulocaust
Ottawa Senators -- Rutkowski
Montreal Canadiens -- stab
Buffalo Sabres -- Starsfan
Boston Bruins -- Thufir

Washington Capitals -- Spamtron7000
Florida Panthers -- T-Bone
Carolina Hurricanes -- eXXon
Winnipeg Jets -- Boomer the Cannon
Tampa Bay Lightning -- Chairman Wao

WEST

Nashville Predators -- canuckanese
Columbus Blue Jackets -- ThinkTank
Chicago Blackhawks -- Jordan7hm
St. Louis Blues -- elmer fud
Detroit Red Wings -- VJeff

Calgary Flames -- mennoknight
Colorado Avalanche -- Shoeonhead22
Minnesota Wild -- Drunk Canuck
Vancouver Canucks -- Verviticus
Edmonton Oilers -- jopo

Anaheim Ducks -- Austrianmook
Dallas Stars -- Twin Cinema
Los Angels Kings -- Habibi
San José Sharks -- Infidel Castro
Phoenix Coyotes -- the talent deficit

WAITING LIST

CONSENSUS TEAM -- Myself and these two people NOT DRAFTING will autopick for GM's who miss their deadlines
1. DOOP
2. myron cope

DRAFT ORDER

1. Jets
2. Stars
3. Blues
4. Sharks
5. Maple Leafs
6. Senators
7. Hurricanes
8. Sabres
9. Wild
10. Capitals
11. Bruins
12. Avalanche
13. Flyers
14. Canadiens
15. Kings
16. Penguins
17. Devils
18. Islanders
19. Ducks
20. Panthers
21. Coyotes
22. Predators
23. Blackhawks
24. Red Wings
25. Flames
26. Lightning
27. Oilers
28. Canucks
29. Rangers
30. Blue Jackets

DRAFT RESULTS
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amj_wGJYwFRYdEtqcm5pTXRlcmY5Mm1CRzE0NC1pVVE&usp=sharing

Brodeurs Nanny fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

der juicen posted:

I would do it, but I would have no explanations for my drafting. It would all be gut drafts.

That's fine. Try to come up with something, but in general you're a funny dude and it would be cool to have an impulsive rear end of his picks which to make fun.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Makes you wonder who the top pick is going to be with this format.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

T-Bone posted:

So you're gonna sim this in NHL 13? Is there anyway we can get like a list of everyone's ratings under that?

I'm not necessarily going to. I might not because this is already so time-consuming. And even if I do, I do not want people drafting guys who are good in NHL 13, it should have nothing to do with it. So pick under the impression of how these guys actually play and as if I'm definitely not going to be simming.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

eXXon posted:

I guess I'll take Carolina again.

Hypothetically, are unsigned prospects going to remain with the team that drafted them? That's one thing I don't like about most fantasy drafts. It incentivizes picking teams with the best unsigned prospects, which is kind of arbitrary.

Unsigned prospects don't exist in this draft.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

T-Bone posted:

Yeah why not make unsigned (but drafted) guys available? Want to draft Kuznetsov.

It would be too much. If everyone else wants to do it, then fine, but staying in the realm of NHL/AHL guys will make this a lot easier.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

For purposes of this draft, forget I said anything about NHL 13. I don't want people drafting players because they're good in NHL. The whole point of this is to reflect our real-life league conscience in drafting a team of players. And having unsigned/overseas prospects seems like a lot to add to the amount of players as it is.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

If you're going to be funny and troll the draft then do not do it. Reconsider.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Paulocaust posted:

My only gripe is that 24 hours seems like a reallllly long time for picks. We did 4 hours per pick in the wrestling draft thread and even still, not only did it take forever, but interested curtailed hard near the end. I mean, you get two or three guys in a row here forgetting to make their pick and suddenly the thread hasn't moved an inch in days.

I just set that because I figured it would take people awhile. I would love to do 12-hour intervals, just because some people work a lot. Obviously, you can make your pick instantly if you want, which would be great. But I'll change it to a 12-hour window and that can always be altered as we move through the draft.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

eXXon posted:

One thing I'd suggest is to allow people to send in lists to the consensus team/disinterested third party if their pick is coming up but they know they won't be around to announce it themselves.

Also, are you going to allow trades?

Lists are allowed.

No trades, this is just drafting a full roster.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

eXXon posted:

So... are we assuming players keep their current contracts? What about pending UFAs? They'd be worth a lot less than a guy signed forever.

That's your call to make. Current contracts as they are now. If you feel you would have the cap to resign a pending free agent, then draft them with confidence.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

I am down to do this, and I don't care what team I get. Maybe I will just take whatever team is left at the end?

Just pick a team man.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

I don't care...uh, Columbus?

Taken. I am assigning you Dallas.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

VOTE1 posted:

I'll play and take Tampa please.

As im Australian, I might cause a few delays as I may be asleep when my turn comes up, but I'll try and not be to much of a slow responder.

I can already foresee problems. We want this to go as fast as possible, I wouldn't join.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Austrian mook posted:

So how exactly will drafting work? Do we agree on a time and all make our picks here in the thread? You said something about a 12 hour wait time?

Yep, post in the thread when it's your turn.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Chairman Wao posted:

If that previous fellow isn't joining after all, I'll take the Lightning.

If he does, I really don't mind what team I get.

You got Tampa.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

elmer fud posted:

ugh, does this have a starting date? I guess I'll jump in, who's left?

It will start when everyone has joined and agreed on the rules. Shouldn't be much longer. There are eight teams left. Check the OP.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

DOOP posted:

Am I allowed to volunteer myself to be a member of the consensus autodrafting team, or are there people lined up for that job already?

You're in.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Boomer The Cannon posted:

VOTE1, you're more than welcome to be co-GM with me if you want in.

Also, are we just picking players or can we re-draft coaching staff as well?

Just players.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

We can talk drafting coaches and unsigned prospects as another draft connected with this one. We should see how this one goes and measure its plausibility.

Boston and Edmonton are the only teams left!

Also, before we draft, EVERYONE WITH A TEAM MUST RE-POST IN THE THREAD. You must re-state which team you are and guarantee you will be able to commit to this. I don't want people signing up because it sounds fun and then realizing they work 70 hours a work and can't make any picks. Make this easy for those who really can do it by just being a bystander, please. This is how poo poo like this winds up losing stems and falling flat. I want everyone as involved as possible. And if you aren't sure if you can keep up, you can post and give up your team instead.

So, for now, I am in as the Devils. Everyone else, post your team and whether you're in or out after a second's thought. And those who want to claim Boston or Edmonton, do so.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Cool. All teams are taken. I just need responses from anyone who has not reposted their confirmation, and I still need one more person for the auto draft consensus team. Then we can set all the rules together and get the draft started.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Austrian mook posted:

Can we double time for the consensus team?

Nope, has to be a neutral party.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

The following teams must confirm their involvement or they will vacate their positions:

Nashville
Ottawa
Columbus
Phoenix
Los Angeles
Vancouver

I want responses by tomorrow morning latest. I will PM those who are able to receive them.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Sweet. So I PMed everyone except ThinkTank and DOOP, who volunteered as a draft consensus team GM. I need to hear from everyone by tomorrow late morning before work or those teams will be vacated. If someone is just late to respond, he or she can come back and reclaim the team after this happens.

Five teams and one team member. I also need one more volunteer for the draft consensus.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions or issues with the rules in the OP?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Are we gauging success in any way or is this more a long conversation about players and team building philosophies?

The second part, really.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Hirez posted:

before i totally commit, after drafting, how much effort is there to put in? I mean what do we do other than trade with other people? maybe I'm missing that part :smith:

Just drafting right now.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Nashville is free again! Der juicen is vacating on second thought.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

the talent deficit posted:

i confirm, i'm phoenix right?

Yep.

We need someone to take Nashville and a spot on the consensus team, then we are good to go.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Zip! posted:

What are we using to run the game once we've completed the draft?

Again, I probably am not even gonna sim at all, it is so much work. Just draft for now. Please nobody else ask this.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Dauher posted:

What's the point of drafting the teams if when we're done we all just look around and say "well, good work guys" and call it a day? If there's not some kind of mechanism of having the teams then compete then I'm not sure I'll bother with sticking to it.

Well, if someone has an easy way to sim, then we can do it. If someone wants to plug them unit NHL 13 fine. I just want to draft for now and discuss options after.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Agreed, gently caress simming. And I will now choose a random draft order and post it and update the OP. If you guys can promote this in the N/V thread I would appreciate it. All we need is someone to be Nashville and part of the consensus team. Two more people and we can begin.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Start thinking about your picks. Remember, this is a snake draft, so if you're 30 you're also 31. First overall is actually kind of a tough spot. I assure you I just randomly generated this order without bias.

1. Jets
2. Stars
3. Blues
4. Sharks
5. Maple Leafs
6. Senators
7. Hurricanes
8. Sabres
9. Wild
10. Capitals
11. Bruins
12. Avalanche
13. Flyers
14. Canadiens
15. Kings
16. Penguins
17. Devils
18. Islanders
19. Ducks
20. Panthers
21. Coyotes
22. Predators
23. Blackhawks
24. Red Wings
25. Flames
26. Lightning
27. Oilers
28. Canucks
29. Rangers
30. Blue Jackets

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Dauher posted:

What's the point of drafting the teams if when we're done we all just look around and say "well, good work guys" and call it a day? If there's not some kind of mechanism of having the teams then compete then I'm not sure I'll bother with sticking to it.

Can you confirm you're still in? I doubt we will sim.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I definitely want balance. I pick 17th and unless a can't miss player is still on the board, I don't plan to spend more $7.5m on any one player, and after that player I don't want anyone else over $6.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

eXXon posted:

Cool beans, time to think of who the 7 best/best value players in the NHL are.

If Crosby doesn't go first overall you are doing something wrong.

To be honest, Tavares gives him a run for his money with the contract he's got.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

So all we need is one more consensus member and we can literally start the draft today.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Thufir posted:

I'll do consensus.

Done.

Everyone agree on the rules and the Jets will be on the board.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

T-Bone posted:

"It is what it is."

Your picks are gonna be amazing. And I think the rules are fine and if we need to alter something we can do so.

Jets, you have first pick. Remember to explain your pick a little bit. Every once in a while, I will update the OP with the picks.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I think the first three picks are sorta easy but after that it's going to get really loving hard. Like at 17 I have no clue who to pick just yet. Crosby is probably the right choice for first, it doesn't even matter who you put on his wings. They'll have 60 points.

DALLAS STARS, YOU ARE ON THE CLOCK.

Brodeurs Nanny fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Starsfan posted:

picking Crosby 1st overall is boring :(

did you even consider any other players? or is answering that tampering with the draft?

Eh, you can tamper a bit, but listing good picks available can be at the peril of the GM's.

• Locked thread