Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

^missed it by *that* much.

I want in as the Winnipeg Jets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

VOTE1, you're more than welcome to be co-GM with me if you want in.

Also, are we just picking players or can we re-draft coaching staff as well?

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I'm in as the Winnipeg Jets. I work day shift, but I'll make sure to have picks/instructions in ahead of time so things don't get dragged out.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I wish I could trade down somehow, but I know we can't.

I think I have an idea of who to take, though.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I want the best team available, with an emphasis on scoring and defense, with a well-stocked prospect system.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

eXXon posted:

Cool beans, time to think of who the 7 best/best value players in the NHL are. Although I really would have preferred top 4, we'll see what the other 6 do.

If Crosby doesn't go first overall you are doing something wrong.
Hall Gill Just kidding, there's no way I can't pick Crosby

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I kind of get boned with the snake draft, so I'd almost consider going with a goalie right off the bat.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I agree to the rules, and I'm ready when you say go.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

With the first overall pick in the SAS NHL Draft, the Winnipeg Jets select Sidney Crosby.

Cap Hit - $8,700,000
Rationale:
Because he's Sidney loving Crosby, that's the gently caress why
A leader on and off the ice, Crosby brings an immense skill level to every team he's played for. It would be wrong to pick a player at #1 based off leadership and a knack for being in the right spot at the right time, but the statistics are there to match as well. I'm a little leery of his injury reputation, but he's only 25 years old and will be a cornerstone of the team for years to come.

Skill players like this come once in a generation, and assuming we can get some goons for protection in later rounds he should have a long career ahead of him, on a contract that would be locked down with the Jets for a long time.

Worst-case scenario, Sidney Crosby also makes excellent trade bait if this team doesn't work.

E: On a side note, the Winnipeg Jets would also like to announce they have acquired Dr. B. Samedi to lead the team medical staff.

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 9, 2013

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Starsfan posted:

picking Crosby 1st overall is boring :(

did you even consider any other players? or is answering that tampering with the draft?
Other players were considered, but it was a very short list. I'll know whether I made the right decision by the time I pick again.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I've never seen a picture of Kevin Cheveldayoff, so another native son will have to do.

Southern expansion, stay away from me,
Southern expansion, momma let me be....

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 9, 2013

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I wonder if this thread wouldn't move quicker if we were in the main SAS forum.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

By the time it gets back to me, my goalies are going to suck.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I expected more angst out of this thread so far, like the 'Playa Haters Ball' sketch from Chappelle Show.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I like having Crosby, but this draft position sucks. I'm going to have to overpay for _______ and get boned in some other key spots.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

mennoknight posted:

Drewsef Pouty Doughty. Welcome. We have finally filled the d-man gap in Calgary that's been empty since Steve Chiasson died.
Son of a bitch.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

You're killing me here.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

eXXon posted:

There's one wicked good young forward that is still surprising now that OEL and Pietro are gone. Spezza going so late is amusing but I'd be worried about his back snapping in half at this point.
Oh don't you dare. I know who you root for.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

We need a GM bitching about how the cap rules really don't apply to them.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Good picks.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I like this pick, except for the fact I was going to take him. Jerk.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

mennoknight posted:

Voynov is a lot better than people think. Nothing wrong with that pick. We can keep slagging the Andrew Ladd pick though right? I can't believe two Jets are gone already.
The only thing wrong with it is that's who I was going to take.

The first round wasn't much of an issue, it's this round that's breaking my balls here.

IANSS, do you have an e-mail handy? Depending on today, my picks may come while I'm working, and I don't want to screw my team over.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Verviticus posted:

snake drafts are torture
I would like to be Jay Feaster today. 3 picks away...:argh:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I like Bob, but the body of work in the NHL isn't there, up to this point.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

With the 60th pick of the SAS Draft, the Winnipeg Jets select Jordan Eberle.

Rationale:
Young player with 75 points last season locked down for 6 years? Sure, why the hell not. I acknowledge I'm buying on potential after 2011-2012, but he has experience putting up points with decent centers. I think he'll be a good match for Crosby, and contract-wise he's in for a few seasons.

My next pick will be incoming in a few minutes.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

With the 61st pick in the SAS Draft, the Winnipeg Jets select defenseman Dustin Byfuglien

Rationale: I needed a two-way defensemen with experience playing two-way hockey. Dustin has the stats and is locked in for a decent time period at an acceptable cap-hit. I'm probably hosed for a defensemen with decent stats and a decent cap hit by the time another 58 picks come around, so I needed to strike now while the irons are hot.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I don't like having around 19 million across 3 players, but there's a lot of cheap options out there if I'm willing to gamble.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Hell no, I'd rather consider the full 2011-2012 campaign alongside the 2013 season.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I should have went into this with the sole strategy of drafting ex-London Knights players.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

That cap hit still sucks, though.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

canuckanese posted:

Alright with my fourth pick I'm going to round out my first line with James van Riemsdyk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-xKUU5sWS4 :argh:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Son of a bitch on the Brent Burns pick.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Austrian mook posted:

One timers on the PP from Getz and Suter forever.
I don't think I could have justified him over the picks I have, but damned if I didn't want him as my 5th round pick. Oh well, more offense for the offense gods I guess.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

There's plenty of options out there, at least from where I'm sitting.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I think I have a plan.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I think I have a plan.
NOW I have a plan, so please don't gently caress with my plan. :colbert:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Shoeonhead22 posted:

Hi I'm GM Avalanche (I'm the one on the left, the guy on the right SUCKS)

and today I will be doing a bit of a homer reacharound by picking the defenseman Fedor Tyutin
I like Tyutin, but this is an overpayment.
Edit: IF we get on a roll, I'll be around to make my picks around 7 EST or so.

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 19, 2013

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

With the 120th pick of the SAS Draft, the Winnipeg Jets select defenseman Luke Schenn

Rationale: He's a young d-man who shows improving stats, is locked down on a decent contract for a few seasons and is good at hitting, shooting and blocking shots. I liked him with Toronto, and his stats this season with Philly's dumpster fire of a defense corps are good. He'll make a nice playmate with Big Buff or Player TBD in my next pick, and like Crosby should be moveable if things don't work out.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

With the 161st pick in the SAS Draft, the Winnipeg Jets select defenseman Jack Johnson

Rationale: Lets get the elephant out of the room: JMFJ's +/- sucks donkey cock, and his cap hit leaves a little to be desired. With that being said, he's an offensive d-man that we could use, can play a ton of minutes and also has increasing stats. He's shooting more, getting around the same number of points, throwing more checks and blocking more shots. His experiences in LA prove that a good partner with him will elevate his level of play, and his experiences last year in Columbus prove that he can hold his own with lovely partners as well. I think this gives me flexibility to partner him with either Byfuglien or Schenn, depending on matchup and depending on whether Big Buff is used as a forward or not.

I don't like drafting d-men early, but I can think of a shitload of prospect forwards who can come in later rounds, whereas defensemen are going to be hard to come by in 58 more picks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Plenty of more expensive good d-men, or cheaper d-men with worse stats.

Goalies are where I'm concerned, but then again we've only drafted around 10 of them or so.

There's still 3-4 that I really want, and they might slip down a lot.

• Locked thread