Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Man, gently caress tradition. I want to see MLB catch up to Japan in terms of mascots and logos. They are LIGHT YEARS ahead of us in terms of making awesome/adorable mascots.

I haven't done real checking on this, but it feels like more Japanese players are sticking longer in the majors. It always used to seem like Japanese players peaked in their rookie season (memory brings to mind Tadahito Iguchi, Shingo Takatsu, Kaz Matsui, Hideo Nomo). Is this simply a function that most of the players who come over are already at/past their peak? Or do they usually succeed early due to different/unique approaches that eventually get figured out by scouting reports and experience?

Probably not a question with a set answer, just something I've been curious about wrt Japanese players who come over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Walk-off grandslam from down 3, with that batting stance.

That's awesome.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

That is amazing. Add it here if'n you don't mind.

I really wish it was humanly possibly to lob a 15 mph eephus, but that'll do.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Mr. Cool Ice posted:

I was thinking the 22 km/h might be just the horizontal component of the velocity, but doing the math, that would take a full 3 seconds to make it to the plate.

Doing the math, the slowest thrown non-forced (no air resistance or magnus force) ball that can still cross the plate under vacuum conditions is 30 mph (about 48 kph) thrown at 45 degrees. Of course, if you add backspin and the typical forces in play you can slow it down to about 27mph.

That pitch looks like it caught the zone better than any of the other eephuses I've seen, like an inside curve.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I think one of the few advantages that the US standard has over the metric system is that 100 MPH is such an amazing round number for "holy poo poo that pitch is fast" while 161 is kinda just out there somewhere.

Like it's cool when Verlander used to hit 99 in the 9th inning, and when Chapman throws it 104 you poo poo yourself.

• Locked thread