Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Is there any kind of winter ball/offseason league in Japan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Crovie posted:

In November there is an exhibition tournament called the Asia Series between the champions of various leagues (and the host team). This year Japan, Korea, Australia, Taiwan and for the first time Italy are participating.
But nothing prolonged or later than that until the normal season gets going again?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

I might have a chance at attending a game in the last week in the season. Typically, how far in advance would I, a filthy gaijin, need to buy a ticket?

Furthermore, are there particular sections I should try to sit in? Would a tourist/non-devotee be ostracized in a certain cheering section?

If it helps, I'd be able to either catch Fighters @ Marines or Carp @ Swallows. I'd rather catch Carp/Swallows to see a bunch of malcontent old Pirates, but either would be awesome.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

fisting by many posted:

The Marines and Swallows have the lowest and second lowest attendance in NPB respectively. You'll be able to buy tickets at the stadium before the game.

You wouldn't be ostracized but you would probably find it weird sitting in the outfield - those are the cheering sections and pretty much everyone in those sections are singing the cheer songs and going ape the whole time the other team isn't batting. But if you can pick up the songs I'd recommend it, sitting in the ouendan was the most fun I've ever had attending a total shitshow of a game. This page has most of the ones in use plus english lyrics for the Marines, I don't have a similar resource for other teams.

Typically the home supporters sit on the first base side and the visitor supporters sit on the third base line. This isn't really "strict" for sideline seating as obviously there are more home supporters, but if you sat on the third base side you would expect to see a few more visitor fans. It is strict when it comes to the outfield though. There's a home cheering section and a visitor cheering section. It would be weird as hell if you were in the wrong one.

This English site has a bit of information about attending a Swallows game.

Awesome, thanks a ton!

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Does anyone happen to know the camera restrictions at NPB games? Most MLB stadiums allow you in with a DSLR, but only if the lens is below a certain length, and many gate-checkers don't know the difference and try to turn away anyone with a DSLR.

I imagine it might vary from stadium to stadium, so, specifically, can I bring a DSLR to a Dragons, Swallows, or Marines game?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Oh my god the Nippon Series just ended on a baseline interference appeal

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Navaash posted:

Are you loving kidding me? That didn't look like an out at home plate!

Hard-Luck Hanshin, indeed! Tigers fall 1-0 and MLB and NPB end on the same day. Somehow fitting.

The first out of the double play, you mean? I guess I'd need to see it again, but it seemed like the catcher touched the plate..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Navaash posted:

Oh, the interference call was at 1B? The camera whipped so fast and of course they're not bothering with showing the replay. 2ch is predictably exploding in anger.

I don't speak Japanese nearly well enough, but it seemed pretty clear to me that the call was that the throw to first struck him because he was running inside the line.

• Locked thread