Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Bakanogami posted:

Number Six is still unknown, Gunha is the best character in the franchise, and his power is that he is Amazing. I'm not even kidding, he seems like he can do anything, nobody has any idea how, and his signature technique is called "Amazing Punch". He's only ranked #7 because even he doesn't know how his ability really works. I believe it's stated that if he ever properly figured it out he'd jump way up the Level 5 rankings.

It's too bad he doesn't have very many appearances though.

To add he's one of the rare "gemstones" that was born with psychic powers completely naturally, before modification by Academy City like everyone else. So his powers might not even work the same way as everyone else, and the scientists' interest in him is in figuring out how it works rather than trying to level him up or clone him or whatever. The series sort of makes a self-aware joke out of him by having him try to give techno-babble explanations for what he does that everyone else points out make no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Bakanogami posted:

Dunno about her time in Russia. That chapter of the comic seems to be referring to some time in the past when she gave a demonstration there, but that's the only time I've heard of it. Unless you mean (very light novel spoilers) when she goes there in the later index novels to find Touma. If they do a season 3 of index I kinda doubt they would be able to get that far, there's a lot of stuff between where they are and there. A fourth season might be able to make it up to there, maybe. Wouldn't be in railgun, though.
Railgun Side Story 2, it comes after Liberal Arts City.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bakanogami posted:

Gunha is the best character in the franchise, and his power is that he is Amazing. I'm not even kidding, he seems like he can do anything, nobody has any idea how, and his signature technique is called "Amazing Punch". He's only ranked #7 because even he doesn't know how his ability really works. I believe it's stated that if he ever properly figured it out he'd jump way up the Level 5 rankings.

How much money would it take to create the spin-off series A Certain Amazing GUTS?

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 4, 2013

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Wow, I just got up to date on the Railgun manga. There is some seriously :smith: stuff in there. Such as Dolly

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Most people here seem to be more familiar with Railgun: The Anime, when it honestly is a manga first. I'd say the manga is better by virtue of being a little more streamlined and focused, with less slice of life. The current arc is shaping up to be pretty good. Read it if you like a pretty solid shounen action series with X-men powers with the occasional silly schoolgirl moment.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 4, 2013

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Nate RFB posted:

Most people here seem to be more familiar with Railgun: The Anime, when it honestly is a manga first. I'd say the manga is better by virtue of being a little more streamlined and focused, with less slice of life. The current arc is shaping up to be pretty good. Read it if you like a pretty solid shounen action series with X-men powers with the occasional silly schoolgirl moment.

I totally will after this series is over, but for now I'm content to watch it animated first. Particularly since this is the first time the To Aru stuff has been actually, honest to god good when animated, instead of merely watchable or funny like the first three seasons were.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Few episodes into the first season and "blatant" is he best way to describe he fan service. Hell, half the plot seems to be Kuroku the psycho lesbian scheming to have sex with Misaka.

Despite this it is still an entertaining show overall but I hope some kind of plot shows up soon.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

ViggyNash posted:

Few episodes into the first season and "blatant" is he best way to describe he fan service. Hell, half the plot seems to be Kuroku the psycho lesbian scheming to have sex with Misaka.

Despite this it is still an entertaining show overall but I hope some kind of plot shows up soon.
There's foreshadowing to the plot in the first episode. I can't remember when the plot really starts up proper, but it's a pretty good one.

As far as fanservice goes, I appreciate that Misaka wears shorts under her skirt.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Falken posted:

As far as fanservice goes, I appreciate that Misaka wears shorts under her skirt.

I think Misaka's practical attitude compared against Koruko's obsession with feminism is one of the only reasons I can deal with the fanservice. Misaka is just as creeped out by it as we are most of the time.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Falken posted:

Her given reason is simple, she does a lot of running around, jumping and kicking. drat if she'd flash the whole city while doing all that.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Too bad about her 20000 sisters. Well, the 9968 remaining ones anyway.

e: I mean, when Kuroko started doing... that... to Misaka's teddybear. What the hell, Kuroko.

Falken fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 6, 2013

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
I hope she washes the teddy.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Falken posted:

e: I mean, when Kuroko started doing... that... to Misaka's teddybear. What the hell, Kuroko.

I'm going to let my imagination run wild with that under the assumption that what Kuroku actually does to it is worse.
Ill probably be just as disturbed anyway.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Speaking of the MISAKA sisters, what was the episode in Index II where they find out one of them is dieting? That scene was golden.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
Episode 17. It also contains the Accelerator gives no fucks about walking on someone in the shower scene, which makes it pretty much the best episode ever. Every scene of that episode is great, really.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Wili posted:

Episode 17. It also contains the Accelerator gives no fucks about walking on someone in the shower scene, which makes it pretty much the best episode ever. Every scene of that episode is great, really.

Isn't that also the episode with this scene in it?:
*long rambling story*
'So you locked yourself outside?'
'Misaka Misaka Rages!'.gif

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Season 1, Episode 17. Weed is the best school name ever.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think that's some weird meta-joke because I've seen Gekisho referenced in other non-Index shows by the same studio.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Wili posted:

Is that the one where one of the sisters declares that it is time for a revolution against the cruel oppression of Last Order (i.e. stealing her night vision goggles)?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
yes, its right after the shower scene, because misaka was explaining to the other one

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm not sure exactly what I imagined when Misaka meets her clone for the first time (I guess something intense and suspenseful).

Just not that. Holy mother of loving god that was amazing.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I don't remember. Did Misaka ever meet Last Order in the anime? I know Touma has seen her but I don't think we ever had a scene were they were together.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zettace posted:

I don't remember. Did Misaka ever meet Last Order in the anime? I know Touma has seen her but I don't think we ever had a scene were they were together.

To Aru Anime Spoiler.

Briefly, in Season 2 Episode 18, which is when Touma meets her for the time too. Misaka, 10032 and Last Order are all in the same place at the same time, but Misaka doesn't really get to say anything since Last Order runs off again pretty quickly. Touma meets Last Order again a bit later and gets to have a talk with her about the Sisters and stuff. Not sure if it's the same in the light novels, since I skipped volumes 12 and 13.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
This weeks episode was another action packed episode and some of you guys might like to know that there were no slice of life segments in this episode. Kuroko and co didn't even appear outside the opening and ending theme.

Why do I have the feeling Meltdowner is going to do the facility destruction for Misaka next episode

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Episode 9 spoilers: The hoodie girl is super-intimidating, and I'm worried for Nunotaba's future

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Glad to see someone finally figured out the mysterious esper with super electric powers is the famous esper with super electric powers.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
That is one of the things that I always found kind of laughable about the Raildex universe. There are a handful of super-powerful living weapons, complete with intimidating nicknames, roaming around the city, but no one ever recognizes any of them.

You'd think that even in a city full of super-powered psychic wizards, the seven people with enough power to level city blocks would have a little more exposure.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

To Aru Anime Spoiler.

Briefly, in Season 2 Episode 18, which is when Touma meets her for the time too. Misaka, 10032 and Last Order are all in the same place at the same time, but Misaka doesn't really get to say anything since Last Order runs off again pretty quickly. Touma meets Last Order again a bit later and gets to have a talk with her about the Sisters and stuff. Not sure if it's the same in the light novels, since I skipped volumes 12 and 13.

It's pretty-much exactly like that in the light novels. (Anime/Light-novel spoiler) Misaka 10032 aka Misaka Imouto understands that Mikoto is in love with Touma but won't do anything about it, so she grabs onto one of Touma's arms and snugs up next to him to make Mikoto jealous. Last Order sees this and thinks, "What fun!" and does the same on his other arm. At some point prior or after, I can't recall which, Last Order also explains to Touma who she is and thanks him for what he did for the Sisters. Last Order and Mikoto never really converse. Mikoto doesn't really have much to do with the Sisters overall.

(More Anime/Light-novel spoiler) The author/writers make a big point of making sure that the four or five Sisters left in Academy City wear the exact same clothing that Mikoto wears, but I don't think they attend her school. I have no idea why they keep this up. The other 9968 Sisters are spread throughout the world, and there is no indication of what they're wearing. Last Order wears whatever.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Well, MISAKA 10777 is all kitted out Russian style here.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
ITEM sure does make the villains from Railgun S1 seem quite quaint.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Tenebrais posted:

Glad to see someone finally figured out the mysterious esper with super electric powers is the famous esper with super electric powers.

Didn't everyone realize it? The previous episode made a point of "the clients think they know who the culprit is but they can't target her directly because circumstances".

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Clarste posted:

Didn't everyone realize it? The previous episode made a point of "the clients think they know who the culprit is but they can't target her directly because circumstances".

Pretty much why ITEM was chosen. Level 5s sorta outrank most individual researchers in the city, so they need to be able to deny outright setting assassins on one such valuable asset. A fight between L5s though is an internal matter and nobody would have to hang for that.

EDIT:
Probable next arc spoilers:
In the event of Railgun being in danger of death, Academy City is willing to use hypersonic bombers to attack America for an extraction. That's how big a hornet's nest they'd be kicking.

veekie fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 9, 2013

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

veekie posted:

EDIT:
Probable next arc spoilers:
In the event of Railgun being in danger of death, Academy City is willing to use hypersonic bombers to attack America for an extraction. That's how big a hornet's nest they'd be kicking.
Please elaborate.

I'd like to see a special forces MISAKA team, sort of like RAINBOW. All of them would have British accents for some reason.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm kinda curious now how many people here are watching the show cold, and how many are neck-deep into the LN's and manga and already know everything that's gonna happen. Cause the normal reaction to excellent episodes like this isn't "oh hey more action :geno:", it's typically more "what do you think the repercussions of uploading emotions to the MISAKA network is going to be? Why did they call in the scientist girl anyway? How does Meltdowner know where Misaka is headed? How much info was ITEM given about this mission, since it appears that girl who could stop bullets wasn't interested in the clone in the pod and is somewhat aware of what's gonna happen to scientist girl."

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I came in knowing just about nothing of the show or Index.

The first season was entertaining and I really liked the idea they had for the plot, but my one major criticism is that there wasn't much substance to the show overall. The plot, as good as it was, felt like season-end tack-ons for the sake of having a plot. They never did much with it during the meat of the season.

However, season 2 got busy pretty drat fast. And I love it so far. But my one criticism for this season so far is that its starting to lose the charm of the first season. Namely, it's starting to feel saturated with drama and plot. I wish they had balanced out those parts with some of the levity of the first season. It's gotten to the point that they almost feel like 2 separate shows. Still, the plot and presentation so far are fantastic so there's not too much to complain about.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Clarste posted:

This interests me, how come none of the Level 5's know each other by sight or form their own special club or does the city prevent them from meeting up generally?

PastaSky
Dec 15, 2009
Since you asked, I've only seen season 1 of railgun (liked it a lot) and the first few episodes of index (didn't like). I've picked up bits and pieces here there though about the future plot.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

This interests me, how come none of the Level 5's know each other by sight or form their own special club or does the city prevent them from meeting up generally?

That reminds me, they never really mention the other level 5s. Ever.

They showed the mind control girl for about 5 minutes in one of the early episodes of this season, and then we are introduced to this batshit insane Accelerator dude. I really wish some kind of relationship was established between the members of this elite group of only 7. 1.5 seasons in and we've only ever seen 3 of them.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Clarste posted:

I rather thought that was because it looks bad if a corporation attacks an individual, it looks bad. Also, the whole clone lab (or any attachment to a clone lab) thing would be pretty bad for any corporation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ViggyNash posted:

1.5 seasons in and we've only ever seen 3 of them.
4, now that we've seen Meltdowner. We've seen more than half of them, the show's got to keep some dry powder somewhere.

Zenostein posted:

I rather thought that was because it looks bad if a corporation attacks an individual, it looks bad. Also, the whole clone lab (or any attachment to a clone lab) thing would be pretty bad for any corporation.
They're the government, they can do pretty much whatever they want and forcibly suppress information about it later.

• Locked thread