Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008
This space intentionally left blank.

Jesus Christ was Index I seriously 6 different arcs? No wonder people complained about the pacing.

I enjoyed Railgun I, so from what I've seen Railgun S is absolutely phenomenal. From Misaka's perspective, it's like one gigantic nightmare and I don't know how it could end.

Also, is it just me, or does JC Staff love doing that thing where characters go "whaaaat!?!?" just before the commercial break for dramatic effect? They used the poo poo out of it for Ano Natsu (shut up, it's not a bad show).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

They're not brave enough to pull a Bokurano and teleport only parts of somebody.

That was a terrifying scene in Bokurano.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

Not happy about zero action until the last 30 seconds. But I can get behind terrorist Misaka.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah the ability crystal method of getting an L6 was pretty conspiratorial and hinged upon a single catastrophic event. That meant they had to go through back channels.

The Sisters method of getting an L6 takes a ton of resources. They have a ton of backing from the City. Misaka could go public with the revelation and there'll be a lot of tut-tutting and "oh how could we let ourselves do such a thing in the pursuit of Science" but all the researchers will get sprung out of prison and relocate themselves and their facilities on a desert island.

Misaka could go full terrorist and just start leaving crispy bodies strung up on walls, but that's just inviting PR denunciations and reprisals. So this is the path of least resistance, just make it too expensive to keep going.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, I can't say it's a good idea. Events are in motion, and ultimately all she can do is lash out in anger and revenge. I'd be mad as gently caress too.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

So what you're saying is that Academy city is Japan's fantasy of being more America than America

I've started reading the manga, and Shinobu is much less... dignified than the anime. It's eyes, man. The eyes.

The action this episode was totally badass, of course, and if I were to recommend this series to anyone else I'd tell them to just skip Railgun 1 and go dive straight into this one.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

Okay I really don't like how they ended the Sister's arc in the manga in the least interesting way. No wonder everyone hates that stupid loving character.

The next couple of episodes, on the other hand, are going to be spectacular.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

Look teleportation is and has always been brokenly powerful when applied by anyone with a lick of creativity, which means it has to always be toned down by authorial amnesia.

And after reading the manga, I will never forgive Touma for constricting Railgun's story. I know that Touma must go and fistsolve Accelerator, and that's all well and good, but after the incredible drawn-out fight with Frenda and Mugino, it's completely boring. Plus it completely sidelines Misaka. This is her personal nightmare after exposure to the true, amoral nature of Academy City. Does she respond in kind against the City that betrayed her? Does she recruit some of its many many enemies? Does she expose or threaten to expose the City's dirty laundry so that it might lose its standing? Does she even ask her friends, considering the last couple episodes of Railgun are about not going it alone? No! It's time for this zero charisma rear end in a top hat to turn up and save the day.

Edit: wait no, I'm actually incredibly stupid and judgemental. It's just Touma vs Accelerator that is terrible (I assumed that would have been the end of Sisters Arc). I've caught up with Chapter 60, and holy crap that revelation! I certainly didn't expect that character to have that particular motivation!

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jun 17, 2013

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

I thought you said moe sidekick and Yoko's not moe and not a sidekick and oh, you meant mole. But that's actually a pig.

No one is as amusing to watch as Kamina.

Edit: oh, you're talking about Simon.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

Look I'm only up to episode 8 of TTGL I don't respect Simon all that much.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

Uh by episode 8 I meant that was next.

It's not like I didn't see that coming, and that spoiler had been percolating through the collective consciousness of the internet.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

I agree with 90% of the words of that crazy lady. It's high time someone took the show to task for what's wrong with it (and commend it for what it does right).

On one hand, it's got a whole cast of Strong Female Characters who can stand on their own perfectly well. On yet the other hand, it has some absolutely horrifying issues with the otaku gaze sexualising underage girls. Like there's a filler chapter of the manga that by rights should be illegal in my country.

Kuroko in a way sums up my problems with the show. On one hand, she basically acts as a proxy for the audience to harass and degrade Mikoto. On yet the other, her voice actor is a genius and somehow managed to fit together both haughty nasal lilt and make her sound like a hilarious 80 year old woman pretending to be a teenage girl.

Finally, the writer really likes putting the girls in compromising situations that they have no choice but to break out with force. Just where the hell do they get these swarms of creepy gang members? And why do they insist on going all out when fighting kids?

Oh well, the only reason I bothered watching Railgun 1 is because Railgun S Ep4 made such an impression on me.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

Relambrien you are completely wrong I jumped into Railgun S after it got props in the Spring thread, even after I had discarded Railgun 1 as a lost cause, and loved it. I only slightly regret watching Railgun 1.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

I just pretend magic doesn't exist and the inherent contradictions of Academy City (giving massive power to individuals yet enforcing a panopticon-like order upon the populace) are simply because the place wasn't built to last and was engineered by maniacs to churn out as much Science as it can before it is inevitably destroyed.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

Fuuuuuck that I don't care about wizards how do you even relate to them.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

To be fair the logistics are completely borked how the hell does an army of clones with a distinctive NVG headwear move around in the middle of a city without being spotted?

But yeah, the whole point is that the conspiracy is massive and the entire city is actively working against Misaka. Though the solution I would have gone for is bring it to the public's attention and engineer a scandal that will burn the city to its core. Human cloning is still illegal and even if the city has alot of clout, it only has so much and something like this coming out will mean a massive loss of prestige.

(but that's me ignore my fanfiction garbage ramblings)

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

The thing is, Academy City has alot of enemies. This kind of Mad Unethical Science can't be rare, the scientists have broken alot of eggs to make their omelette. It's inevitable that some of those eggshells are sharpening knives and looking to make an opening. Maybe Mikasa should exploit that. Sure, she'd be betraying her homeland, but at this point they started it and she'd be emotionally justified bringing death and anarchy to the city that used her.

The use of the clones is probably an open secret at this point, and they're banking on using this tech to gain an unstoppable edge on the planet over trivial diplomacies such as "international law" and "scientific ethics". And besides, it's not the only application of cloning technology.

Somewhere inside Academy city, there lies another cloning project to pump lanky violent young men set free to mug and threaten people. It's the only explanation for why there are so many creepy gangsters hanging around harassing and especially threatening pretty young girls. Where the sisters project was to feed xp to the top Level 5, this cloning project is designed to feed valuable xp the multitudes of level 3s and 4s.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

God drat it Touma maybe you should explain your brilliant plan before you stood in front of a bolt of lightning. If you really intend to punch someone out you should wait until your muscles aren't in painful spasms.

Reivax posted:

To clarify, it's that everything Misaka did was irrelevant. The experiments continue, the sisters continue to die. Then Touma comes and fixes everything. It's really bad writing, if only because the writers are so loyal to the story laid out in Index. In not deviating from that, it lacks closure. This is all independent of Index, which has far worse problems than Touma being a bit boring.

This is the problem. I stood up a bit when Kuroko suddenly decided to involve herself, but nooo, she stands down because she's not allowed to be involved with the story and some vague ~promise~ she made some time ago. gently caress that noise, this is a character defined by being Misaka's best friend, she should be all over this poo poo. And besides, every single other arc beforehand was solved by the power of friendship: Uiharu and her memory chip, Saten and her baseball bat. This should have been no different, but nope, this is Touma story and by god we're going to ruin all the effort put into Misaka's story if we have to.

Another way Misaka could have tried to resolve it: use those ability down speakers on Accelerator, put a cap in him. Or not, there'll probably be some bullshit about Accelerator blocking the sound waves/vectors or something. Nevermind that idea. Idiot Touma to the rescue.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

I guess my problem is that I won't shut up about it because of how unnatural and forced the situation feels. Everything from 1-13 of Railgun S feels naturalistic: one thing leads to another, and characters respond in reasonable ways. Until we get to the points that contradict the original series: Kuroko never meets Misaka's sisters, and Touma solves Misaka's problems for her. In order to fit this scenario, the story suddenly feels forced and unnatural and it suffers and I really should shut up about it because it will not solve anything. Unless say they retcon out Index and everything magical. If loving Haganai gets retcon spinoffs, then this deserves it too (I have not and will not finish Haganai).

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

That and his plan is still terrible and stupid. Unless Touma is willing to physically scramble Accelerator's brain, it should by rights be zero reason to stop the experiments. The City has sunk so many resources into him that their response to Touma doing his thing should be "oh, I wonder what's his shtick? While we're finding out, let's continue slaughtering the clones".

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

~And all the lessons of friendship and humility for your superpowers offer vulnerabilities shall be lost like tears in the rain~

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

Kuroko's writer might be a creep but Kuroko's VA is a genius. And come on, who else thought she was going to bring a few frozen dead mice to the hotpot?

The whole privilege thing wasn't really developed in Railgun 1, sure we had Touma whining about a losing a carton of eggs, but contrast that with Misaka casually buying a change of terrorist clothes and renting a hotel room just to change. And while she always spouted shounen cliches about hard work beating anything, it was pretty obvious she was born with the potential for Level 5 instead of her simply working 105 times harder than anyone else. So... rather clever storytelling about a character with a naive view of the world.

I'm sorta sad that the current arc of the manga isn't being animated. No Misaki in the intro, but Kongou's bland swimming friends are around. At least Frenda and Mugi are back!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

You think filler arc power armour designs grow on trees?? JC Staff Academy City has a budget, you know!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

My first thought was "somebody's been dumping vats of plant hormones into the river!".

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

Let's put it this way. Mental Out could be worse.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

Falken posted:

e: Mental out's fine, but she dresses like a prostitute.

...except she doesn't. What on earth are you talking about

Out of all the L5s that I've seen so far, the whole point of Railgun is that she's the most normal and relatable character to be used as a viewpoint. The whole fighting Touma thing is because Touma has narrative warping powers so that everything is selfishly about him

Mental Out's motivation is she understands that her power forces other human beings to isolate their true selves from her, and so she wants her one friend back..

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

Meltdowner looks like an office lady.

I can't remember if Mental Out is in the new OP, but she's going to turn up because she was introduced in episode 1. You don't leave a chekhov's gun hanging like that.

Edit: blah, so many M-nicknames.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Aug 13, 2013

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

Cool idea building a space elevator inside a heavily populated city 35o offset from the loving equator.

Yeah I don't think Crowley's banking on this city lasting more than another 30 years or so before he's happy with the gathered research data.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

That's because she's the most mature and level-headed of everyone. Of course, she's that way because she's already had her big growing-up story arc. The anime writers clearly like her and it shows.

Of course, they sorta hosed up at one point when Misaka completely failed to notice Suspicious Man siccing a pack of sentry bots at Febri. Yes, let's do some Property Destruction, but not wonder why it had to be destroyed in the first place.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

I have no idea what you're saying with WWIII, but all I knows is that Academy City was never built to last and I would gladly satisfy their concerns and burn it to the ground.

I mean, they call their orphans Child Errors. That's horrifying even before the human experimentation.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

veekie posted:

As for WWIII, LN spoilers:
The Catholic Church eventually works themselves into using magic to cause multiple countries to declare war on Academy City. The fighting was one sided, because Crowley stopped loving around and sent out hypersonic bombers to level entire armies within hours of the declaration. That's mostly the end of the "we're totally a research and development institution" image.

I don't know if it's the way you described it, but this is the stupidest loving thing ever.

I signed up for the mad unethical nihilistic science, not this bullshit.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

Pretty sure they've yet to make a wasabi-based lifeform. Though some rear end in a top hat might try.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah it was dirt obvious that whatever was in those lollipops, they were what were keeping Febri alive.

Those purple shards didn't really look like Academy tech, they looked like something you'd see in final fantasy. Maybe they're finally going to bring in the magic side of the overall story? I'm not chuffed, from what I can tell from the discussions, that's horrible side of the universe. Of course, you could argue that the Index/Railgun universe is mostly garbage, with some good bits interspersed.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

Haha, this show can be incredibly dumb just to contrive its reasons for action.

We have evidence that an organisation is going to carry out a large scale terrorist attack from the location of some suspiciously large shipping containers, we're going to wait for them to activate before we start smashing them.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

I think the last episode was X-Men 3 level terrible. You have a bunch of untrained schoolkids with magic powers fighting thousands of robots that are significantly larger and stronger than they are, and what do they do? Fight hand-to-hand with no proper sense of self preservation, and not use their magic powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

Oh look, this is a thing.

Is it worth holding out to read this ridiculous series, or should I simply not bother and read a real book?

• Locked thread