Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Well personally I found the best parts of index was when Misaka and company were prominent. If you agree with that, you'll find Railgun to be the superior show. This show focuses on the esper, skillout, anti-skill, and judgment stuff, it's all about academy city and what goes on there. In fact, there aren't any magicians that show up, and there probably won't be. Touma has a few cameos and quite a bit of screen time in one or two episodes so far, but this is still a different show. It's a bit eccentric as it goes from being a goofy slice of life show with super powers, to uncovering secret plots in the city, being put in life and death situations. Also problems aren't solved by having a teenage boy punch out nuns, it usually takes more effort and creativity.

So basically if you want to see an expanded look at Academy City and see things from a different perspective, this is worth watching. Just take note that not everything in the show is action based, there's several episodes without any fighting. The character Index herself is in the show as a brief cameo a couple times, not that she's prominent in her "own" show either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
I wouldn't be too concerned about filler, this is going to be a 22 episode season, isn't it?

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Yeah this episode was quite intense, I have a feeling we're in for a ride. Even for those of us who knew this was coming, it still wasn't any less brutal and I assume we're going to see Misaka fighting for her life, which means we'll get to see her use everything she has. You rarely get to see her go all out, so the next episode should make for some good action.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Do they ever explain why they have those speech patterns?

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

veekie posted:

Sort of spoiler for the LNs, the way it works is because every Sister is a member of the MISAKA network, which is a true hive entity(making every Sister basically a neuron), while ALSO being each an autonomous agent capable of thought and emotion. The whole network is basically the sum of all MISAKAs, so when speaking for themselves, the Sisters will assert their own identity whenever they talk.

But really it's just because it's loving moe.

I figured that's what it was, just wondering if it was anything deeper than that. Index implied that's the reason, but you'd think at some point one of the characters would just ask.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

PastaSky posted:

This episode stuff:

I didn't see that dismemberment coming. I kept expecting Misaka to arrive at the last minute. Misaka better pound that guy into the ground. If she can't do that I want her to call kuroko and have her teleport several spikes into that guys brain.

:allears: It's really amusing to see predictions and reactions from people who haven't seen Index. I don't know what goes down in the Railgun manga, but if Index is any indication, we are all going to enjoy this season a lot.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
This show is still going strong, that was another great episode.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Yeah one of the coolest parts of this show is how inventive they get with powers, unlike most other shows which stick to your standard fare. I think Railgun is the only show out there that's made teleporting cool.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

Redcrimson posted:

Clearly, we should just refer to her as Biribiri to avoid confusion.

In the meantime, I'm gonna enjoy all the Misaka/Mikasa fanart:

The anatomy on that fanart is really terrible.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

Falken posted:

I haven't watched a single episode of that show yet.

e: I really ought to pick up the light novels, but is Touma as loving boring as he is in the show?

Touma is generally not a character, so yes, he's painfully dull.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
I think how much you enjoy season 1 depends on how much you can get behind the setting and characters. When it comes to entertainment, a lot of it for me, is what my expectations are going in. If someone told me Railgun season 1 was action heavy, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it much at all.

Another big factor is how you watch a show. There's some shows which are way easier for me to watch if I can just burn through it all. Doing it this way prevents me from setting up false expectations and being disappointed when the show does something else. I imagine I'd take Railgun Season 1 more negatively if I had watched it as it aired. That said, season 2 is so much better and I hope it can stay this way.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

Welp, hopefully this doesn't drag on too long. It's a bit uncomfortable because that article fails to specify if it's a single episode or more.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
This was a really good episode, I hope the next ep lives up to the hype built up.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

That's why they need airplanes. 10001st MISAKA Regiment (Airborne) deployment underway

If that's what that actually is for, that would be amazing. Though I would doubt this to be the case.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Electromagnetism is overpowered. So providing she had the proper knowledge and could stay conscience, why not?

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
I try to not go out of my way to poke holes when watching a show that takes place in the Indexverse. There are many things which don't make sense and probably never will. To me, Index and it's various spin offs will always be a bunch of great ideas, but mixed in with a needlessly confusing story.

Watching the movie for example, very little about that made any sense. I still enjoyed it on the merits of having great visuals, sound, and action.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
A very fun season, while I enjoyed the first season, season two was a much better package. Of course things are contrived and not all well thought out when you think about it for a bit. This is pretty much standard for the Toaru franchise and I don't think any of us familiar with it expected any different.

The fight scenes delivered and I look forward to re-watching the entire second season on bluray, because obviously TV encodes don't do it justice. For me at least, one of the better parts of the Toaru franchise is how clever they sometimes get with power usage, far more clever than a lot of other franchises which have super powers.

So I take it we'll have another 2 or 3 year gap before we see Railgun SS (or whatever they call it)? For that matter have we heard any confirmation for Index III yet? I'm going to assume that's in the works, from the little I've read up on it, people say that regardless of stupidity it should be really fun to watch animated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

HellCopter posted:

Well, it helps that Misaka's power isn't as much of an instant win as Touma's.

Electro-magnetism is absurdly overpowered, just look at Magneto, or read up on what it can do. The difference is that Misaka is very young and has yet to even remotely live up to her potential. That's pretty much the only thing stopping her from becoming a demi-god of sorts like Accelerator.

• Locked thread