Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

AtomikKrab posted:

Yes, thus my spoilering it to keep it in the dark for those who wish no spoilers, you were agreeing with me right?

Spoilers should be for things that had already happened in the latest episode. Events that will only happen in future episodes should not be posted or, if posted, should be clearly marked as spoilers of future events.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3059901 - ADTRW Forum Rules posted:

If you're talking about external material (official manga, preview magazines, etc) in an ongoing series' thread, use spoiler tags and label them every time!

This should be obvious. Not everyone watching _____ anime has read the manga/ wants to be spoiled by what's going to happen! Be courteous and use the tags and label them properly as (MANGA SPOILERS) or (MAGAZINE SPOILERS) every time, or if it's a manga, take it to a new thread!

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 10:38 on May 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The latest episode is super-worth all the earlier build-up episodes.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not sure if this is a spoiler but spoilering just in case: I've seen "Frenda" spent as "Fre|nda" or "Fre_nda" on other anime forums. Is this just a disagreement about the canon spelling of the character, or is there a deeper significance to the variations in the spelling of her name?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Falken posted:

How about a Fallout style ending slides? :v:

One for each of the 20,000 sisters?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

I'd be okay with the filler junk this season if it wasn't entirely "Mikasa angsting and brooding while her friends awkwardly look on without actually prying enough to figure out what's up/help out." It's loving boring.

If they really did bring in Mikasa for anime filler, that'd make it the best anime filler across all of the Raildex seasons.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm surprised the authorities let Misaki wander around freely the way she does. Isn't she far and away the most dangerous Level 5 in the city? Accelerator can only maim and kill you; Misaki can destroy your memories and your identity, enslave you, and make you love her for enslaving you. I would have thought that once you discover someone with mind control abilities, you would immediately lock her in a sealed room instead of going out of your way to develop her powers and make her even stronger.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chillyrabbit posted:

Well :siren:minor Index light novel Spoiler.:siren: There are machines that either dampen or disrupt ESPer powers, in one of the LN's GROUP have a hard time rescuing musujime's friends because of the ESP disrupters. So it wouldn't be inconieveable that they set those machines up anywhere they don't want her to use her powers

"GROUP"? There's seriously a group in the series called "GROUP"? :lol:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zettace posted:

Yup. They're also the "good guy" group and made up of side characters from the earlier arcs of Index so if you follow this series they'll come up a lot.

The writer may be pretty creative in coming up with ESPer powers and uses for them, but he's not so good at giving names to collective bodies, is he? Next you'll be telling me there's an organization named "ORGANIZATION" and a school named "SCHOOL".

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jun 4, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

veekie posted:

Also I'd rank L5 mental stability about so(at this time in the show anyway): Railgun > Mental Out > Sogita Gunha > Meltdowner > Accelerator > Dark Matter. Accelerator gets better, Dark Matter and Meltdowner gets worse.

Spoilering in case even my question itself is spoilery: Aren't there seven Level 5s in the series? I only see six names listed in your ranking above.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

tonberrytoby posted:

You should read this manga chapter. It is a slice of life chapter that happens after index/sisters. It doesn't contain any spoilers that weren't in Index. Except that Meltdown's crew survives the arc.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/To-Aru-Kagaku-no-Choudenjibou/Vol-007-Ch-043--Negotiation?id=104015

There we are introduced to most of the level 5s.

I went on to the next chapter as well and oh my god Sogita Gunha is amazing. :allears: I don't even know what his power is but I'd love to have another spin-off series featuring him.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jun 4, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bakanogami posted:

Gunha is the best character in the franchise, and his power is that he is Amazing. I'm not even kidding, he seems like he can do anything, nobody has any idea how, and his signature technique is called "Amazing Punch". He's only ranked #7 because even he doesn't know how his ability really works. I believe it's stated that if he ever properly figured it out he'd jump way up the Level 5 rankings.

How much money would it take to create the spin-off series A Certain Amazing GUTS?

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 4, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is Shinobu going to be all right? She's going to be rescued next episode, isn't she? :ohdear:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is anyone going to rescue poor Shinobu? :ohdear:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
General questions about the series and not this episode or arc in particular:

So far in Railgun anime seasons 1 and 2, we've seen four of the Level 5s - Misaka, Mugino, Accelerator and Misaki. The first three have enormous destructive power, and mind-control is always a game-breaking ability, especially when you are able to control an entire library-full of people at once.

1. Has the light novels or other sources addressed the issue of what the other Espers in the series would be able to do if they reached Level 5? E.g.:

Kuroko's teleportation
Kongou's propulsion
Konori's X-ray vision
Haruue's telepathy
Uiharu's ability to "keep temperature constant"
The gang leader girl's ability to manipulate asphalt
The bank robber's Equal Speed

2. What are the city authorities thinking, trying to turn Accelerator into a Level 6? As it stands, he's already an outstanding nutcase - why are they trying to make him of all people more powerful?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Light novel spoiler: So that's what "Fre_nda" and "Fre|nda" are referencing. I can't decide whether that's clever or just morbid.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 17, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
That look of hurt and disappointment on the Sister when Misaka chased her away was utterly crushing. :smith:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Will the Sisters get more time in the limelight after this arc is over? Their deadpan humour (as illustrated by 9982 before her untimely and cruel demise) is one of the best things in this series.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 25, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

veekie posted:

Also she really likes to beat people up and he can take it. Simultaneously he's frustrating because he can't be beaten up that way. It makes him more interesting to her than people who are twitching on the ground after pissing her off.

I guess that counts as a solid foundation for a healthy relationship in anime-land. :v:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Episode 12 - The Sisters continue to be the best part of this series. I love their sense of humor.

"Dog." "Tokugawa Ieyasu". "Schroedinger". "Deferred". :3:

Do they get a spin-off series of their own?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Poke posted:

Can someone tell me what happens to the researcher who tried to help Misaka during her raid on all of the buildings associated with the experiment? I read as far as I could go with the translated manga but it never says what happens to her after she gets captured.

tonberrytoby posted:

Manga Spoiler. No, she is never heard from again.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man, things sure got hell of a lot darker between Season 1 and this season. :stare: Not that I don't enjoy watching this season, mind you - it just feels like I'm watching two entirely differently series, which coincidentally happen to have characters who share the same names and similar appearances.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

veekie posted:

Secret torture lab probably, she's still a high level esper. You don't waste those when you can do SCIENCE to them.

Do we know for sure that Shinobu is an esper? She disposed of those thugs in the abandoned building with psychology and great acting skills, and when she was found hacking into the Sisters' computer network with an emotions software package, she fought back with a gun instead of esper powers.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jul 14, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Words are inadequate to express how satisfying it was to see Accelerator get punched in the face.

Also, Accelerator's VA deserves to win all the voice acting awards.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 20, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Episode 16

The post-fight conversation between Misaka, Misaka-imouto and the two little girls was so :kimchi:, I don't even care that it was Touma and not Misaka who brought the fight to an end.

Also, Misaka continues to be so tsundere it hurts. Does she ever get any better in the light novels?

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 27, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

AtomikKrab posted:

The researcher is never mentioned again, EVER

Poor Shinobu. :ohdear:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Glad to see I'm not the only one who cares about Shinobu's wellbeing. Seems like she's made a disproportionately deep impression relative to her limited appearances in the arc.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

AnacondaHL posted:

This is anime; if they don't show the character in black and white sketch that fades to white screen then she ain't dead. :colbert:

This is Academy City, home of officially-sanctioned experiments on orphans that turn them comatose (Season 1) and experiments involving the methodical and systematic slaughtering of 20,000 girls (Season 2). There are much, much, much worse things they can do to a captive other than killing her.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nate RFB posted:

Maybe we'll get lucky and they do a repeat of what they did with season 1 and use some of the upcoming anime-only material to wrap up the Shinobu plot thread.

Which part of Season 1 was anime-only? I can tell that the "swimsuit episode", "dormitory supervisor gets rejected by her crush episode", and "day in the life of the incompetent Anti-Skill officer episode" were obviously filler episodes, but was there anything else that was anime-original?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Clarste posted:

Everything after the Level Upper arc ended.

Nate RFB posted:

The whole arc with this lady. It also served to wrap up Harumi Kiyama's story, which was also sort of left hanging in the manga.

Wait, what? Seriously? So in the light novels / manga, the eye-bag scientist lady still hasn't rescued her students and all of those kids are still comatose? That's one hell of a plot ticket to leave unresolved.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

veekie posted:

Hopefully they do that, there's enough beach service in Liberal Arts City anyway for their quota. And plenty of action for everyone.

Do the Sisters feature prominently in this Liberal Arts City arc?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope the remainder of the season includes at least one episode featuring Sogiita Gunha. I still don't know what his powers are (other than being AMAZING) or what he actually does on a daily basis, but I've read that one manga chapter at the start of the Sports Festival arc where he and Misaki recite the sportsmanship pledge and I'd love to see him making an appearance in the anime.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 1, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Exotria posted:

So, here's the new OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlckTwAVOEg.

They really like drawing those Misaka upskirt shots a lot don't they.

A disturbing lack of Sogiita Gunha in that OP.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kuroko and Misaka are respectively Level 4 and Level 5 Espers, and have faced literal life-and-death situations in combat against overwhelming odds. Why are they so god-drat terrified of the dormitory supervisor? Is it just played up for comedy, or is the dormitory supervisor actually a secret Level 6 or something?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Watched the new OP again and I saw Shinobu in the breaking glass at the 35-second mark. Shinobu Rescue Arc here we go! :dance:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phobophilia posted:

Meltdowner looks like an office lady.

I can't remember if Meltdowner is in the new OP, but she's going to turn up because she was introduced in episode 1. You don't leave a chekhov's gun hanging like that.

The whole of ITEM is in the new OP.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wolf on Air posted:

Daihaseisai, and there's really nothing inbetween now and it other than some LN side-stories that are all over the timeline, the obvious which would've been L.A.C. but since we aren't getting that, whatever's upcoming is J.C. Staff originaru content for sure, especially given the new opening animation.

My hope's for L.A.C. + Daihaseisai double feature for the next two-cour run (Railgun SS, or whatever) whenever the manga is far enough along for the second arc to have a conclusion. (It's at a pretty :catstare: junction at the moment.)

Too bad, I was really looking forward to Esper Olympics with special directive to cheat as much as you can.

I just want to see Gunha's speech about GUTS animated, and everyone's reaction faces to his speech.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Falken posted:

I think there was even a girl who's ability is literally "can talk to cats", so she's destined to become a crazy cat lady.

What would the Level 5 version of that ability look like? Talk to all the cats in the city / the world, all at once?

EDIT: Man, even if you don't end up being a Level 0 and actually get an ESP ability, it's still a roulette game with really long odds. You may end up with the ability to manipulate vectors, mastery over electromagnetism, or mind control - or you may end up with the power to talk to cats.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Aug 14, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

veekie posted:

Maybe, but the funny thing about weak powers is that they have a lot of directions to grow in, loosely defined as they are.

I still don't think the "talking to cats" girl is going to get too far even if she upgrades her ability to Level 5.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

veekie posted:

If necessary they could plonk Accelerator at the base of it to deal with any accidents.

Could they have built the entire thing with Accelerator? During his fight with Touma, there was a scene when he kicked a piece of railway track and it straightened itself in the air (before it broke off into chunks targeted at Touma). Seems like that could be used for construction as well as destruction purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is Kongou Mitsuko equally the butt of every joke in the manga, or is it just the anime? I feel kinda sorry for her - she was also the victim of the eyebrows girl and the earthquake in the anime.

• Locked thread