Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Sweet, only yesterday heard that this series was even a thing and just finished episode three.

I've seen the past two Index seasons and the first Railgun, and honestly the best parts out of all those was Misaka blowing poo poo up and nearly anything to do with the Borg sisters. The fact that this season looks like it's going to focus on the Borg Misaka's means I have high hopes that it's gonna be good.

Question, if I want to get more into this series, should I look for the manga or the light novels? Which one is the preferred drug of choice for somebody who wants more Borg Misaka, but only cares about the rest of the series for the context it provides?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Robhol posted:

Pretty sure Railgun itself only has a manga, no light novel, so probably go for that. The Index LNs don't really feature Misaka that heavily for the most part.

And how far along is the manga compared to the LN?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Relambrien posted:

Ok I'm gonna set the record straight on the different media since it looks like it's not entirely clear.

A Certain Magical Index is a series of 22 light novels written by Kamachi Kazuma.
A Certain Magical Index: New Testament is an ongoing series of light novels (currently consisting of 6 volumes) that is the continuation, or "second season" of sorts, of the original light novels, still written by Kamachi. These light novels are the main unit of the franchise. The first 13 light novels have been adapted into anime, across two seasons each two cours long.

Wait, so the two anime seasons we've gotten are from New Testament, and not from the original series, or are they from the original series and New Testament is even further ahead? Why is a volume considered different from a light novel? What exactly do you mean when you say "main unit of the franchise"? What the hell is a cours? :psyduck:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That was a fairly pleasant episode. Until the end. :stare:

Holy poo poo, those last ten seconds have such intense mood whiplash I'm actually shaking a little, the shift from super girly slice of life to super graphic bloodsport was bad enough to burn the clutch. I didn't expect them to just dive right into the sisters arc right then and there, I was hoping for a little bit of cushioning, an episode or two before poo poo hits the fan. loving hell.

Also, this tea scene is glorious. :allears: I'm actually rather disappointed they didn't animate it. Guess I'll actually start reading the manga now.

EDIT: I personally blame this episode for making me lose sleep tonight.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 5, 2013

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Oh dear, I see the original Misaka across the street, I need to make a good impression on her for our first meeting, what should I say?

"Meow" :kimchi:

And then she gets her leg ripped off and is crushed by a train car. :catstare: This loving anime.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
How would you even bite a head? Why would you even bite a head?

Index the series always felt like the writer was throwing everything he could in there, hoping to trip across a good idea rather than be forced to actually think one up. The worst part is that he does get a couple of good characters and story arcs through this method, but there's so much crap you have to wade through first that it's barely worth your time.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

bubblegumbo0 posted:

Timelines makes everything easier.

This season of Railgun has been significantly better than S1 so far, which was pretty boring and annoying for a number of episodes.

Hold up, there's an Index movie? And apparently a Railgun OVA? Are either worth watching?

And who ever made this chart really needed to have pointers to what date was referring to which series, cause episode 10 of Index was on Aug 20th, but episode 4 of Railgun S was probably Aug 11th or 12th, but the way they set it up it made it seem like both episodes happen on the 20th. A good way to differentiate would be to colour code the dates blue or orange when referring to specific series, with white for when they do sync up.
:goonsay:

EDIT: Like so:

... of course it's when I upload it that I notice I made a mistake and coloured all the blocks on the end blue, oh well. :v:

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 20, 2013

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Phobophilia posted:

Yeah the ability crystal method of getting an L6 was pretty conspiratorial and hinged upon a single catastrophic event. That meant they had to go through back channels.

The Sisters method of getting an L6 takes a ton of resources. They have a ton of backing from the City. Misaka could go public with the revelation and there'll be a lot of tut-tutting and "oh how could we let ourselves do such a thing in the pursuit of Science" but all the researchers will get sprung out of prison and relocate themselves and their facilities on a desert island.

Misaka could go full terrorist and just start leaving crispy bodies strung up on walls, but that's just inviting PR denunciations and reprisals. So this is the path of least resistance, just make it too expensive to keep going.

But now we have the problem where they've already made all calculations needed to figure out how to get to Level 6, and made all the clones they need to complete the experiment, so it's all on autopilot by now. Misaka's trying so hard to stop these experiments but what is she actually accomplishing? The experiments are still going on while she's blowing up random science buildings, and any damage she does now can be repaired or outsourced when needed later. It'll be expensive, but the most expensive part, the research and calculations needed to figure out how to reach level 6, and cloning enough Sisters to do the job, is done. The rest is just data collection.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

blastron posted:

Aren't the Sisters coming off of the assembly line as-needed?

The two creepy scientists in episode 4 said they were doing the rest all at once.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'd rather not read an obituary, thanks.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Dan7el posted:

About 13 minutes into Episode 17 of Index II, I found a true gem regarding Mikoto and Kuroko. I'll leave you with this, but the entire scene is terrific:

That's really more of a Kuroko/Uiharu scene, since Mikoto is just kinda there waiting for Touma.

Still a great scene, though. :allears:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Nate RFB posted:

Most people here seem to be more familiar with Railgun: The Anime, when it honestly is a manga first. I'd say the manga is better by virtue of being a little more streamlined and focused, with less slice of life. The current arc is shaping up to be pretty good. Read it if you like a pretty solid shounen action series with X-men powers with the occasional silly schoolgirl moment.

I totally will after this series is over, but for now I'm content to watch it animated first. Particularly since this is the first time the To Aru stuff has been actually, honest to god good when animated, instead of merely watchable or funny like the first three seasons were.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm kinda curious now how many people here are watching the show cold, and how many are neck-deep into the LN's and manga and already know everything that's gonna happen. Cause the normal reaction to excellent episodes like this isn't "oh hey more action :geno:", it's typically more "what do you think the repercussions of uploading emotions to the MISAKA network is going to be? Why did they call in the scientist girl anyway? How does Meltdowner know where Misaka is headed? How much info was ITEM given about this mission, since it appears that girl who could stop bullets wasn't interested in the clone in the pod and is somewhat aware of what's gonna happen to scientist girl."

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Kuroko at level 5 would basically be Kuroko as she is now, only involved in the plot again. :v:

Also, I think my favourite part of last episode was when Misaka grabbed the edge of that walkway because she pulled herself to it with magnetics. I thought that was a really clever twist on an old trope.

Falken posted:

On the subject of Mugino, I found out that she (Light Novel Spoilers!)

:stare:

Maybe I should stop reading every spoiler in this thread and actually read the books...

Nah.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I do kinda love this comment in the, uh, comments:

vaiyt posted:

If you overanalyze it, Touma is a perfect metaphor for the animu aficionado fanbase. His power is to literally ignore how awesome the girls are, fizzling the powers out of anything he touches. To complete the image, his “anti-power” is stored on his right hand! How apt is that?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Endorph posted:

I'm pretty sure every single other post in this thread is 'The fanservice is dumb but it's still a pretty good show,' though. The OP of this very thread even gives the show poo poo for it. I think we've all taken the show to task for what it does wrong. Nobody's really disagreeing with that lady on the fanservice is dumb front, either.

But that was the first season. This season I don't think they've shown so much as a single panty shot. Only one girl was seen in a bikini, briefly. Compared to the first season they've really cut down on the fanservice and focused more on the drama and action and humour, and this season is a lot stronger for it.

And the fanservice in the first season was never, ever as dumb and intrusive as it got in either Index season.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Relambrien posted:

Were it not for the fact that the first season of this show is pretty much required watching for the second, I would recommend it to friends wholeheartedly. This season so far has been good.

Actually thinking on this a bit, why? So far, this season has been surprisingly self contained. Yes, you wouldn't know who anybody is right off the bat, but the general rules of the universe are explained in the first episode of this season, and you'll pick up how everyone relates to each other fairly quickly. I mean, we just had Touma's introduction again, complete with the scene where he first meets Misaka.

I guess if we get stuff relating to Level Upper or something later on, then yeah, you'll need to show somebody the first season so they'll understand what's going on, but otherwise I'd say this season is doing a fine job of introducing newbies to the To Aru universe. In fact it's probably the gold standard introduction now and it's not even halfway through yet.

So I say go ahead, introduce more people to this show! It's far and away the best this series has churned out.

Though I suppose if somebody wants to explore more, it's only fair to warn them about the rampant fanservice in the rest of the series.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Dan7el posted:

Okay, so what are the writers doing? I think they're doing a really good job letting us see Mikoto get to the point where she realizes (Anime Spoiler) that there is no other way to stop the killings other than Mikoto herself dying. This is where Touma finds her when he meets up with her in the rail yard during Misaka 10032's battle with Accelerator. Mikoto is ready and willing to fight Accelerator, knowing she can't beat him and will die. The writers are bringing her to this point, and doing a fairly good job of it.

With filler.

If it's this good then it's not filler, it's a part of the plot given more depth than what we'd seen before.

And my favourite part is that it's actual "depth", like, they aren't trying to shove it in our faces just how desperate Misaka is, they show it rather than just tell us "she's really really desperate, guys, like seriously" the way the first Index anime did. It's a really interesting contrast that the exact same events are being told by people who actually understand what the word "subtle" means. And yes, I am aware of the irony of using the word subtle after the episode where they had a girl explode for no reason.

Falken posted:

I like the way they changed the sister's iris style from the flat emotionless grey to just like Mikotos. It makes Accelerator's doings seem worse because it looks like he's merrily murdering Mikoto over and over. :gonk:

Also this. The flashbacks to how Accelerator gets roped into this experiment are an interesting angle I didn't think about at all, since I figured this would just be about Misaka's side of the story, but now with him and Touma this is a story with three perspective characters in it. That's pretty cool, I can dig it, please stop showing me Misaka dying over and over and over and over again :gonk:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Phobophilia posted:

But yeah, the whole point is that the conspiracy is massive and the entire city is actively working against Misaka. Though the solution I would have gone for is bring it to the public's attention and engineer a scandal that will burn the city to its core. Human cloning is still illegal and even if the city has alot of clout, it only has so much and something like this coming out will mean a massive loss of prestige.

But again, the ENTIRE city is working against Misaka. The number of people who already know about the experiment is in the hundreds already, and they have such strict control over the city that I have no doubt they also control the local media, so any proof Misaka could get to show that the city is up to something rotten would have to be delivered to a newsgroup outside of the city, one with enough clout to spread the news internationally.

The worst part is that I don't think even that would stop the experiments, they'd just go back into hiding like they did for the first few thousand. The only reason Misaka ever learned about them was that they started doing them outside for... some reason. Wait hold up why are they outside again? I feel like they covered that somewhere but I can't remember it...

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Reivax posted:

Railgun is usually quite light-hearted. Sure there's violence and dangerous powers, but despite that, the good guys always save the day and restore order. It's a very feel-good show. Having Mikasa powerless and impotent in the face of overwhelming evil is such violent change that it feels out of place in the series. I like it, but I just don't think it was handled well enough.

That's kinda funny, I actually think they handled it drat near perfectly. Any other series would probably try to keep the light hearted tone while everything in the story is actually grim as gently caress, so I'm glad Railgun S at least had the decency to go full boor and admit, hey, this is some seriously dark stuff that's pretty distressing to watch, so we should portray it as such. It shows that the team behind this show have some flexibility and are totally comfortable with 180'ing the show's tone if the material calls for it.

Regardless of the actual resolution of this story, which from the looks of things is going to be an HD retrend of the climax from Index rather than the Misaka side retelling we were hoping for, what I'm looking forward to is what's gonna come afterwards. I mean, at this point I have just enough faith in the writers that they aren't just gonna dump all this to the side and start doing beach episodes till the end of the season, no, this stuff has some ramifications coming for Misaka, both mental and emotional scarring from seeing yourself killed over and over, and threats from all the people who have been running these experiments for god knows how long that will soon have nothing to show for it. I know how this story ends, I'm quite interested now in how the next story will start. I mean, how do they plan go back to the more light hearted tone of the first season?

quote:

In all honesty, Touma is nowhere near as bad as people make out. Index had far worse problems, like its constant sexualisation of 10-15 year old girls.

Constant sexualization of girls regardless of age is a continual problem for anime in general, and Index has problems that are even worse than that. I would say Touma is definitely one of them, if not outright the worst of them, and not because he's bland, but because he's continually involved in poo poo that has nothing to do with him. Ever. You think him jumping to Misaka's help is bad, at least it's in the same drat city he is supposed to live in. On the same continent that he lives in. Involving people he's previously interacted with at some point. There are some arcs in Index that he seriously has no loving reason at all to be there for, and yet there he is, [Index spoiler]in the middle of loving Europe stopping a loving Navy full of loving nuns by punching someone in the face really loving hard.

And he always wins. That's another issue with Index, Touma is loving invincible and destroys all challengers. It's pretty ridiculous at some points, the ways the story contorts itself so that he walks away from everything clean and maybe with some new friends/harem members. I mean, when I saw the first arc of Index I was under the mistaken impression that having amnesia would be a disability that he'd have to live with and would face constant challenges from the fact that he can't remember the faces of his friends and family. Instead it's treated as a minor nuisance at best.

Oh, oh, and he has literally no idea how the world works. Just keep thinking everything will turn out okay and you won't lose anything because you don't want to and it'll all be fine. Stick up for your friends who are naturally good hearted people you can trust, don't bend to the bad guy's will because he is never right, never give up and you'll succeed... he has the world view of a child, just do your best and it'll all work out in the end.

... Touma's the worst. I don't even particularly dislike him or anything, but I simply can't look at the greater picture of the Index stuff I've seen and say that he's anything but poison to the narrative.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Reivax posted:

Sexualisation is problem for all media

I would never, ever, ever say this without some really, really strong evidence. Sex is awesome, I highly advocate you all go get laid today.

Back on topic

Reivax posted:

Touma isn't the reason the narrative is poo poo, he's just a by-product of larger problems. The whole conflict is driven by a secret/cold war between Espers and the (Catholic?) church, which has potential, but plays out as a fist-fight between ridiculous stereotypes and violent manchild. His naivety isn't really refuted by the narrative. If anything, it reinforces it. The bad guys (girls) generally mellow out after that lovingly animated punch, and, as you say, join the harem.

Okay, maybe it's been awhile since I've seen the Index animes, but from what I remember, Touma doesn't really care about the greater conflict and is only ever interested in what's happening in front of him or directly affecting his friends. If it falls outside of that, he doesn't care. But it never does, like I said, he's always involved even when he has no reason to be. Hell, from what I do recall, he played for both sides of the field, he cares so little about the greater conflict between these two powers that he holds no allegiance to either, so both treat him like they work for him. And he does, too. I'm pretty sure he only ever does what he's told until it goes against his moral code, at which point it's time to punch away the problem.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I think the worst part of this argument is that it's gonna be taking up all discussion here for at least two more episodes. :suicide:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SpaceViking posted:

From my perspective (having never watched Index), I didn't see a lot of the major problems people were complaining about this arc/fight in spoiler tags.

Because instead of it being about Misaka going through hell, it's all about his dream.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

JosephWongKS posted:

Glad to see I'm not the only one who cares about Shinobu's wellbeing. Seems like she's made a disproportionately deep impression relative to her limited appearances in the arc.

Probably because she had a disproportionate amount of screen time and focus during this arc. I'm actually kinda shocked she doesn't show up in the manga again, considering they went out of their way to show she was fighting to save the sisters, too. I mean, she did something when she was on that computer, I can't just be told that Last Order blocked it and nothing happened. Stories don't just end in the middle like that.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo did I pick a bad time to get caught up with the manga :stare:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

.Clash posted:

Theres also a special from the BDs out if you want a few cheap laughs.

loving hell, when they just went on and on about the games industry, I was in stitches the longer and longer it went, mostly because I think I've seen that exact scene played out so many times on the internet. The fact they animated another 4Koma is also pretty drat awesome.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Wolf on Air posted:

:science: :stonk:
MANGAalso more wanking bullshit

And that's supposedly only 2% of what she could do as a full on level 6 :allears:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Currently watching the movie. It's taking a while cause the first half hour takes forty minutes to get through due to the need to pause every once in a while and sigh. Once the railgun crew show up all I can think is "Oh Thank God" And then they're used for pointless fanservice and nothing else. What a waste.

The action's pretty great, though. Movie budget and all that.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 6, 2013

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ArchangeI posted:

My pet theory for Misaka's reluctance to use the Kuroko express is that it requires physical contact, and she doesn't want to encourage Kuroko.

I dunno, she seemed to be pretty encouraging this episode. :pervert:

In all seriousness, I'm curious how the hell Shinobu got involved with this group. Last we saw she was being taken away to parts unknown and we all assumed we'd get a "save Shinobu" arc or whatever. But now she's involved with yet another morally degraded group of scientists who have no qualms about just up and killing their test subjects when they're no longer useful and honestly I'm wondering why she'd get involved with them considering her track record with artificially created humans so far. Maybe she was a part of their group long before she started to rage against the machine, and they bailed her out of the trouble she was in? Or did they purchase her service in helping to create the neural networking whachamacallit that they kinda need if they want their artificial humans to have more intelligence than a newborn.

Next episode preview rather pointedly says we're gonna get this explained to us next week, so whatever. Hopefully Shinobu is actually helpful and doesn't dodge around the central plot of this arc for no drat reason.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Well that was all incredibly silly. Best part was seeing a badass Kuroko.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Chapter 64 is out.

Nobody gives a poo poo about that, though, cause A Certain Droll Hivemind also updated. For those wondering, her name translates to "Just Misaka". :allears:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

AtomikKrab posted:

I give a poo poo about 64.

I do too. The idea of literally throwing Touma at the problem amuses me greatly. I also love that his hand is no longer the instant problem solving cheat code it usually is, and all in all this is a pretty great chapter.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Chapter 65

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Accelerator manga is off to a boring start.

Meanwhile, the Railgun manga is just about to climax. poo poo just keeps getting more and more real.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Chapter 69

So, uh... I haven't read the books. Can someone explain WHAT THE gently caress THAT WAS?!?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
No but seriously how long until we get a third season of Railgun? This is easily blowing the first two seasons out of the water. :allears:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like I need to read the books to understand the significance of who that sister is, and why that one building was suddenly empty for no reason.

Any news on the next anime?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I wanna just say I'm really glad they're making more Railgun, I was worried they'd stop with this arc.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

tonberrytoby posted:

Chapter 72 is out.

And I suppose that would be the logical outcome if such a technology existed.

Porn; the most powerful method of popularizing new media venues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Chapter 73 of Railgun

Chapter 14 of Stungun

• Locked thread