Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Interesting, they introduce Misaki in the first episode. I wonder if they are going for the second sisters arc directly? I wasn't even sure if the original sisters arc was canon in the railgun anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

That pacing is just great. Looks like they are making the best of the good parts of the arc.
But more importantly the gags were hilarious.
Saten, Kuroko and Shinobu are just the best.
And Misaki, too. Her going all out ninja is the best part of this arc.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Here are some chapter number from the Railgun manga:

Chapters 1 - 16 : Level Upper Arc : As seen in the first Railgun Anime.
Chapters 18 - 30 : 1st Sisters Arc : Misaka vs. Everyone and Meltdown -> Currently running / spoiled by the intro.
Chapters 31 - 39 : 2nd Sister Arc : Touma vs Accelerator, as seen in index.
Chapters 43 - current : School Festival / Misaki / 3rd Sisters Arc As foreshadowed in the first episode of the current season.

I actually hope that the skip over Touma's stuff after the fight with meltdown. And then go straight to the school festival arc.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

bubblegumbo0 posted:

Timelines makes everything easier.

This season of Railgun has been significantly better than S1 so far, which was pretty boring and annoying for a number of episodes.
In the manga timeline: Misaki ( episode 1 of the second season ) and Kongou ( Somtime in the fist season) getting introduce happen after (Index spoiler) Touma's fight with Accelerator.

Also (Manga spoiler) Misaka spends several days fighting alone now before Touma getting involved.
I expect episode 12 or 12 to be still at Aug 19th in the timeline.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Myurton posted:

Well I still think people should of watched Index by now considering it aired 5 years ago, but whatever not gonna argue against the rules even if I do think they are kinda silly.

Anyways I got a question, if that timeline is legit where the heck does the season 1 Railgun OVA fit in?

The timeline of a lot of minor sidestories got jumbled up between the rRilgun manga and anime.
So a lot of things that already happened in the anime happened after the sisters arc in the manga timeline.
I would group the OVA there too.
Now that I think about it, in the opening to the school festival arc, the OVA's plot does get mentioned as having already happened.

So yeah.
Somewhere between 28. Aug and 18. Sep.
Just like episode 1 of this season.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Now that I think about it, wouldn't accelerator get his rear end kicked by espers who's powers don't involve any movement. Like Kuroko and Misaki.
Well I suppose the fact that he can stop Misaka's direct electric shocks mean that his powers are not really connected to logic.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Accelerator's power should really called 'unbeatable by espers'. That's it.
I thought it was unbeatable by everyone expect for (index spoiler)? He can deflect bullets and explosions, after all.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

veekie posted:

Or he can hold his breath and jump out of the blast zone. Depends on how fast he can move before running out of air.

For the reflection, I think it's some kind of psychic app running in the background. It's ultimately a very simple process(reverse all directional incoming vectors), and requires nearly no human intervention, so it can happen near-instantaneously the moment it contacts him. Of course, any automated process can be manipulated.

Mainly he grows as a character after the events of Sisters though.
The discussion here started with saying he needs to be faster than near-instantaneously. It needs to be faster than instantaneously even.
Otherwise some of Meltdown's or Misaka's power would hit him.

He does become less comic book villain like, later. But never enough for me to find him interesting.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

ChronoReverse posted:

I demonstrated that fast as light is, it's nowhere near instantaneous. It's not beyond the reach of modern computers to do a few calculations in the time it takes light to travel a meter, much less some crazy super ESP dude. The speed of light only represents a roadblock to velocity.
But no computer can do calculations in the time before it receives the input. So the light literally hits the guy in the same instant as his processor receives the information that he is under attack.

He either needs to begin calculation before the shot enters his detection range, or send his calculations backwards in time, or transmit information faster then light.
All of which are physically equivalent. All would be abilities that would be considered much more amazing then his vector control in a true hard science setting.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Finally. I do consider Misaka's fight agains Meltdown's crew ( The girls from the intro/preview) to be the best fight in all the indexverse stories.

I do like how they cut between Misaka's action an her friend's casual live. Especially Kuroko's and Misak's relationship. They play it for laughs often, but it is really a beautiful friendship there.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

All the level 5 Espers have secondary powers that are just as impressive as their primary powers.

Misaka's Hacking/observation, Accelerator's calculations, (Manga Spoilers)Meltdown's Focus.

In all those cases the Authors don't even try to hide this stuff with technobabble. It is just magic. They are all much better magicians then the actual magicians.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Superuser008 posted:

I've always wondered why she doesn't dump the coins and get some lead coated DU balls or something like that.
Coins are found everywhere and don't raise much suspicion. Not so much with DU.

Manga Spoiler : I think she starts carrying iron dust later. In the three legged race for example. But I am not really sure if she hadn't found it on the scene when she used it.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I would prefer if they went slice of life rather than dragging out Touma's part.
There are some very nice break chapters between the sisters and the school festival. And the first chapters of the school festival also seem like light slice of live stuff.
But maybe they will do some nice anime original work.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

You should read this manga chapter. It is a slice of life chapter that happens after index/sisters. It doesn't contain any spoilers that weren't in Index. Except that Meltdown's crew survives the arc.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/To-Aru-Kagaku-no-Choudenjibou/Vol-007-Ch-043--Negotiation?id=104015

There we are introduced to most of the level 5s.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

So I saw some comments describing good parts of Index 2 and I noticed that I didn't remember them. I watched Index 2 and noticed that I had never watched it before, which I forgot.
Started the first episode and immediately remembered why I didn't watch it.

But when you just fast-forward through every episode that doesn't involve Misaka, it actually isn't all terrible.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

That was a really great fight.
But now Misaka can live on happily.
I really hope they won't drag out the parts with Touma. I would much rather have more wacky slice of live with Kuroko.

JosephWongKS posted:

Is anyone going to rescue poor Shinobu? :ohdear:
Manga Spoiler. No, she is never heard from again.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I would think that Kuroko at level 5 would get more fine control over her power. More similar to Accelerator's powers then to something flashy. Being able to teleport flying bullets behind her. Or probably a sensing ability too.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Does she teleport those nails into the air and lets terminal velocity do their thing to impact the ground or does she telefrag them into the ground/target's clothes?
I think it's the telefraging.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

The reason I hate Touma is shown by the characters approach to the sisters. And the probable plot of the next few episodes.

When Misaka finds out about the sisters:
She goes and uses her ability and skills to find out the truth about them.
Over the course of several days she takes on a war of attrition against the project to stop it without loss of live for anyone. She ruins her health and is almost killed. And she knew this was a probable result.
Manga spoilers from here:
After this fails she gets ready to do some actual terrorism. As far as she knows this will lead to lots of chaos, possible deaths, and her getting arrested. She agonies about that decision and then goes and do it.

After this failed, she makes a plan that involves her committing suicide in a possibly painful fashion.

For comparison this is how Touma approaches the same situation: ( Index spoiler)

He finds out about the whole project by literally bumping into the documents while hiding under a bed.
Then he plans to just beat up Accelerator. Which will stop the project because Touma is the weakest man in the city.
He knows he will succeed because he is the main character, and basically shouts that at Misaka.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

This is also basically the same approach that happens with every single incident that involves him. For 30+ god drat books.
Only this time we have the comparison to how an interesting main character handles the same thing.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

We do know Academy city's official goal. It is to train strong espers.
We also know that there seems to be a more secret variant to make espers that are good at combat.

I don't think those are goals that sound too stupid. And the discovered plans make sense for someone who thinks that you need to burn down a village to make an omelet.

What those combat espers are supposed to be used for is unknown. But it doesn't actually matter at this point in the story.
Maybe they are intended to fight supervillians or defend the country, or take over the world or fight alien invaders. None of those is actually contradicted by anything happening in the city.
The only variant that makes no sense would be that they are intended to fight foreign espers or magicans or somthing like those. Because then Touma's power would be seen as a very useful power instead of a useless level 0 thing.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Isn't the end goal of Academy City some Satanism stuff, considering how the boss of Academy City is called Aleister Crowley?
I have never read the novels and I fast forwarded over most of the index anime, so I have no idea what this refers too.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I prefer this over dragging out Touma's part actually. Especially if the sisters are involved.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Clarste posted:

The biggest problem I have with it is that Touma's plan just doesn't make much sense in the first place. Are we really supposed to believe that Tree Diagram's plans were premised on the idea that Accelerator is the best esper there ever was and ever will be? That somehow not being "the best" in some abstract way would invalidate all the time and money spent pushing him towards Level 6? That's a pretty silly plan if that's the case. I mean, it makes sense to choose the best esper you know to begin the project, but once that's done is there any reason to stop just because some nobody apparently has a secret power that makes him even better? It's not like Accelerator is suddenly weak, or hasn't already gone through half of the training. I just can't wrap my head around this.
You are forgetting that Touma has the hidden ability to make everyone influenced by him act like the stupidest of stupidest shounen manga stereotypes.
So yeah, you get (index spoiler) every 2-bit fighter in the city thinking he is stronger then accelerator after he has lost one fight.

This also explains why Misaka never can defeat Touma. She isn't allowed to use deadly moves in the shounen zone.
Also explains why Misaka just sat down and left everything to Touma. Though that could also be explained by her age if you feel overly generous.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

We are actually caught up to the manga until the the Festival starts.
Between the sisters and the festival there are only single chapter slice of live stories and character introductions.
And Kongo's and Misaki's introduction were pulled ahead in the anime.
The only thing that hasn't happened yet from the manga before the Festival is Kurolo getting injured .
But yeah, in the manga Kongo has an equal mix of awesome scenes and comic relieve scenes. Then the Anime added lots of original scenes with her. And made them all comic relieve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Chapter 72 is out.

And I suppose that would be the logical outcome if such a technology existed.

• Locked thread