Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
"Personal Reality", right? She can do these things because deep in her heart she doesn't properly believe that she can't. Espers are all about defying the laws of physics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Relambrien posted:

There have been two light novels written under the Railgun title which are, I believe, unrelated to the source manga.

Not completely unrelated. They're sidestories of a sidestory. They feature Saten, who was a character created solely for the Railgun manga, and one of the characters from one of them recently showed up in the manga.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

UchihaHirou posted:

The same character in question showed up in the Index light novels (specifically vol 15 and 19).

Edit: Added volume references.

Yes, but the fact that she met them in the novel is relevant. IE: it's canon to Railgun and actually matters to the story. Not just a cameo.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Parpy posted:

By the way, why was Misaka so happy at the beginning of the episode? Was it just relief at having found nothing untoward at the lab the night before?

That was the implication, yes.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's pretty much guaranteed that they'll cover the Arts City sidestory (ie: the field trip to California) since they've already talked about it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Fightest posted:

I guess someone with ice powers could get him. He can't redirect energy gradients if they're not pointed at him, so freeze the moisture in the air around him and make a human popsicle.

He's also claimed that he wouldn't survive a nuke because all the air around him would be blown away and he'd suffocate. anything that targets his surroundings should be fairly effective, although I don't think freezing would work since all he has to do is touch it to break free.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

He can't expand the field because his power only works on things touching him. Which doesn't make too much sense when you think about it for any length of time, but that's how it is. It has a range limitation.

Regarding "psychic apps", there are actually a pair of minor characters who as part of their backstory had their brain patterns messed with in an experiment to recreate Accelerator mentally. In the hopes of mass producing Level 5s. Anyway, the experiment failed, but they succeeded in transplanting his auto-protect "app" to one of the girls, who uses it with her "control air" ability to create a solid wall of air at close range whenever something's about to hit her. Well, I guess that's only the trigger condition but it was still transplanted. So yeah, it's basically confirmed that it's an unconscious thought pattern.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

JosephWongKS posted:

Not sure if this is a spoiler but spoilering just in case: I've seen "Frenda" spent as "Fre|nda" or "Fre_nda" on other anime forums. Is this just a disagreement about the canon spelling of the character, or is there a deeper significance to the variations in the spelling of her name?

It's basically a joke based on something that happens later. Don't worry about it too much.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Bakanogami posted:

Number Six is still unknown, Gunha is the best character in the franchise, and his power is that he is Amazing. I'm not even kidding, he seems like he can do anything, nobody has any idea how, and his signature technique is called "Amazing Punch". He's only ranked #7 because even he doesn't know how his ability really works. I believe it's stated that if he ever properly figured it out he'd jump way up the Level 5 rankings.

It's too bad he doesn't have very many appearances though.

To add he's one of the rare "gemstones" that was born with psychic powers completely naturally, before modification by Academy City like everyone else. So his powers might not even work the same way as everyone else, and the scientists' interest in him is in figuring out how it works rather than trying to level him up or clone him or whatever. The series sort of makes a self-aware joke out of him by having him try to give techno-babble explanations for what he does that everyone else points out make no sense.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

Glad to see someone finally figured out the mysterious esper with super electric powers is the famous esper with super electric powers.

Didn't everyone realize it? The previous episode made a point of "the clients think they know who the culprit is but they can't target her directly because circumstances".

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Zenostein posted:

I rather thought that was because it looks bad if a corporation attacks an individual, it looks bad. Also, the whole clone lab (or any attachment to a clone lab) thing would be pretty bad for any corporation.

It wouldn't look like anything for the corporation because you don't advertise the fact that you're hiring assassins? Although regardless of why, it's still a fact that they know who's attacking them. IE: The recognized her. Although it'd be silly not to if your whole business is making clones of her...

As for why the Level 5s don't know each other, it's mostly because they're treated as top secret experimental weapons. Mikoto is an exception because she's the "public face" of the city used for advertising to enrolling students (you could even become a Level 5 like her!), which honestly makes it even weirder that people don't recognize her, and Shokuhou is an exception because she's mind-controlling her way into a position of power (it's also questionable if she's really a middle school student, or even if that's her real body), but most of them don't seem to attend school or anything. They're generally more like Accelerator, killing people in back alleys for experiments and stuff. And if they met, they'd probably try to kill each other.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

JosephWongKS posted:

1. Has the light novels or other sources addressed the issue of what the other Espers in the series would be able to do if they reached Level 5? E.g.:

As far as I know, the only character whose power has been specifically extrapolated to Level 5 in the novels is Takitsubo ("AIM Stalker", that girl from ITEM as seen in this episode and the previous).

Apparently, (light novel spoilers)since her power is to see and interact with AIM fields, if she was level 5 she could copy esper powers, change esper powers, level espers up, create espers, etc. As you might imagine, the City really wanted her to be Level 5 since it would basically change the whole Academy City paradigm. Which is why they developed power-boosting drugs and whatnot for her, although by the time she joins ITEM they've basically given up.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 16, 2013

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Maybe I should stop reading every spoiler in this thread and actually read the books...

Nah.

You hadn't figured that out already? People make jokes about it constantly. The show does too, if you approach it with the foreknowledge.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

veekie posted:

What really brought it to mind was that the word 'danmaku' was actually used in that scene.

Dolls, maybe, although the series already has its own self-referential doll-bomb joke. The prism-cards is really stretching it though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

veekie posted:

Well, Misaka was thinking, "She can't create a barrage(danmaku)", then Meltdowner pulled out a card and created some danmaku.

This falls apart once you realize that danmaku is actually a real word.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Relambrien posted:

Okay I'll take your guys' word for it but personally I don't think I'd have any clue why I should care about what's happening if I hadn't seen both Index and season 1 :shrug:

Why should you care what's happening given that you've seen those? What part of those makes you care about what's happening?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Relambrien posted:

Just from the events of Railgun S, I don't have any sort of insight or knowledge into how the city works. All I know is there are these superpowered kids, at least one of whom is a hugely overpowered mass murderer. He's mass murdering the clones of another kid, to make him more powerful. I have no idea why this whole thing seems to be important enough that it's a huge government conspiracy; that part doesn't really seem to have any justification and I just have to roll with it. With Index, I know that there is a huge worldwide conflict between secularism and religion and that (Index spoilers) a shadowy Big Brother-type figure named Aleister Crowley, who has serious magician connections, appears to be either doing research into the nature of magic itself or building an army with which to stand up to the magicians. With that in mind, Accelerator and ITEM make a lot more sense.

Granted, I don't learn most of that until after the Sisters arc in Index, but crucially I know that there is a massive underground battle being fought by science and magic, and interpreting Accelerator as a weapon being produced by Academy City to fight against magicians makes sense at the time the arc comes up. There is then some measure of justification in the Level 6 Shift project, though clearly its cruelty suggests something far more sinister is going on.

Technically no, that doesn't make any sense. Honestly, the more you know about the Index universe, the less sense it makes. Simply put, Magicians don't care about Level 5s. Level 5s are fodder, as far as they're concerned, because Magic is stupid overpowered. I don't think they'd care much about Level 6 either. Someone who hadn't seen Index would probably be in a better position to make educated guesses about the true nature of Academy City based on what we've seen.

I mean, just the fact that the City clearly doesn't care what kind of person gets the ultimate psychic powers should tell you that they have no real hope for Accelerator as a weapon. I mean how would they expect to control someone like that?

quote:

There are also these three other random girls who seem to be completely irrelevant to the main character, but she's treating them as extremely important for some reason?

They're her friends? Why exactly does this need an explanation? Normal people have friends.

quote:

And of course without Index I don't give a flying gently caress about Touma so that whole scene and any of his future appearances mean absolutely nothing to me.

They introduced him with a flashback, and he's clearly a love interest.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 26, 2013

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, I don't really care either, so there we go. Carry on.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

To be fair the logistics are completely borked how the hell does an army of clones with a distinctive NVG headwear move around in the middle of a city without being spotted?

But yeah, the whole point is that the conspiracy is massive and the entire city is actively working against Misaka. Though the solution I would have gone for is bring it to the public's attention and engineer a scandal that will burn the city to its core. Human cloning is still illegal and even if the city has alot of clout, it only has so much and something like this coming out will mean a massive loss of prestige.

(but that's me ignore my fanfiction garbage ramblings)

The city has more clout than you think. Eventually (novel spoilers)it declares war on Russia and the Vatican. And wins. Sort of. Anyway, I'm reasonably sure they can decide to screw international law if they feel like it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Wait hold up why are they outside again? I feel like they covered that somewhere but I can't remember it...

I don't think they ever give a reason. It's probably just part of the original simulation they received and they don't want to deviate from it too much. I mean, how exactly does killing "20000 slimes" level him up anyway? It doesn't make much sense, so we just have to assume their models are correct. They're probably just as confused as we are. "Taking orders from a machine" was also a minor theme of the arc.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

To be fair, we're also never told what exactly the Levels are measuring, so maybe getting more creative with his powers is exactly what they want out of him? Personally I doubt that though. Everything they ever say about Level 6 implies that it's "absolute power" or "artificial divinity" or other extreme superlatives, so I don't see how getting merely better at his powers is going to get him there.

This is just making stuff up, but the only explanation that makes sense to me is that AIM fields resonate in some way when an ESPer dies. Which also explains why the scientists insist that he kills them instead of just defeating them.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Dan7el posted:

His magical hand can't stop a 100 yen piece traveling three times the speed of sound. I don't think.

You'd think, but the series is strangely inconsistent about this. One scene in the manga (that wasn't animated) actually does show him block it, but that doesn't make any sense given how his power is portrayed in other places. Which I guess just means that he can but it's impossible to explain why he can.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The biggest problem I have with it is that Touma's plan just doesn't make much sense in the first place. Are we really supposed to believe that Tree Diagram's plans were premised on the idea that Accelerator is the best esper there ever was and ever will be? That somehow not being "the best" in some abstract way would invalidate all the time and money spent pushing him towards Level 6? That's a pretty silly plan if that's the case. I mean, it makes sense to choose the best esper you know to begin the project, but once that's done is there any reason to stop just because some nobody apparently has a secret power that makes him even better? It's not like Accelerator is suddenly weak, or hasn't already gone through half of the training. I just can't wrap my head around this.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

veekie posted:

I figure that was the whole point. She spends a lot of her screentime remarking that people who oppose the city get disappeared.

Then she disappears.
After opposing the city.

And no one even knows why, because she tried to do everything herself and never told anyone where she was going. Just like a certain someone. Her basic role in the story is to show us the price of failure in what Mikoto is doing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

JosephWongKS posted:

Do we know for sure that Shinobu is an esper? She disposed of those thugs in the abandoned building with psychology and great acting skills, and when she was found hacking into the Sisters' computer network with an emotions software package, she fought back with a gun instead of esper powers.

When she was first introduced they made a deal out of the fact that her school accepts both high level espers and genius normals. Given that she invented an important device, she definitely qualifies for the latter, so there's no reason to believe she's an esper. Or even if she is, she's not high enough level to do anything cool. Like Uiharu I guess.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

Here's what I took from what you've said: Railgun is fanservice whose entire existence was designed to pander to Index fans. In that case, all I can do, as someone who hasn't watched Index and doesn't plan to, write the entire show off as pandering fanservice and completely ignore it. There is absolutely no way around it for me.

The entire argument so far has hinged on the difference in the perspectives of Index fans vs the perspective of people who haven't seen/read Index, but the ball is in the author's court. If she/he panders to fans, most of the latter will give up on Railgun. If she/he writes Railgun as an alternate continuity where Mikoto continues to be the lead character, then most of the former will get pouty and complain. Or at least that's the sense I'm getting from reading this thread.

I personally don't see anything wrong with Railgun being an alternate continuity. Hell, that idea worked brilliantly with the various versions of GitS as it allowed them to explore different ideas within the same world without have to endlessly retcon.

I think you've got it backwards. Railgun-only viewers might be a bit disappointed by this arc, but the ones who loathe it are the Index viewers who carry a pre-existing intense hatred of Touma himself (rather than just his role as a DEM in this particular story). It certainly is reasonable to abandon the series for not being what you thought it was though.

Honestly, even the writer seems kind of sick of Touma's power at this point, because one of the protagonists he introduces later is a Level 0 who really does have no powers whatsoever and has to get by on his wits alone. And who slowly takes up more and more page time. It's easy to think of this person as "the new, improved Touma".

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Chillyrabbit posted:

minor spoiler: Hamzura kick Toumas rear end and the circle would be complete

That's pretty easy isn't it? Doesn't he use guns when he can?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Probably because she had a disproportionate amount of screen time and focus during this arc. I'm actually kinda shocked she doesn't show up in the manga again, considering they went out of their way to show she was fighting to save the sisters, too. I mean, she did something when she was on that computer, I can't just be told that Last Order blocked it and nothing happened. Stories don't just end in the middle like that.

She fought and she lost. She had her own Bad Ending. I always thought the main purpose of her character was to show the audience the price of failure and make Misaka's situation seem more hopeless. Although I wouldn't be surprised if the anime decided to rescue her or something.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

Its still odd that even Misaka has completely forgotten about her. Shinobu was the one that introduced her to the Level 6 experiments in the first place, so without that catalyst Misaka would never have even known what was going on, let alone been able to stop it. It's nothing short of a large, gaping plot whole.

Misaka doesn't even know Shinobu tried to do anything, and she goes to a different school, etc. She probably assumes she's still living a safe, civilian life. Why would she bother to investigate her for no reason? It's not like they're friends.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

JosephWongKS posted:

Which part of Season 1 was anime-only? I can tell that the "swimsuit episode", "dormitory supervisor gets rejected by her crush episode", and "day in the life of the incompetent Anti-Skill officer episode" were obviously filler episodes, but was there anything else that was anime-original?

Everything after the Level Upper arc ended.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

JosephWongKS posted:

Wait, what? Seriously? So in the light novels / manga, the eye-bag scientist lady still hasn't rescued her students and all of those kids are still comatose? That's one hell of a plot ticket to leave unresolved.

The manga is more a bit more morbid. Scientist lady fails, the kids are screwed, Academy City is a terrible place to live. It's not a story that needed a happy ending. But that's exactly why some people are hoping that the anime will also give a happy ending to Shinobu, who last we saw was being carried away to a life of slavery or something.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

arisu posted:

It isn't shown in the manga, but the scenes from the anime are canon. Characters introduced in that arc (Haruue) are around in the manga during the Sisters arc (at least in sticker pic form). The events happened, they just happened off screen in the manga.

I don't recall Haruue being in the manga at all, although I might have missed some tiny cameo.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

One problem with that arc is that it heavily involves the other half of the Index franchise which so far hasn't been mentioned in Railgun. In the novel there's an awful lot of Misaka rationalizing it to herself, but I don't think that would really work in the anime.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Wallrod posted:

Is this an omake bit from the official manga, or a doujin?

I guess i'm asking for the source of this image.

The former.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

JosephWongKS posted:

Is Kongou Mitsuko equally the butt of every joke in the manga, or is it just the anime? I feel kinda sorry for her - she was also the victim of the eyebrows girl and the earthquake in the anime.

She doesn't exist at this point in the manga. She's introduced at the start of the next arc as a transfer student. She was actually an anime-only character when the first season aired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Sindai posted:

That was Shinobu at the end, right? Then why was everyone saying she never shows up again in the novels/manga? Is this arc not from either of those?

Everyone was also saying that the anime would probably make up something to rescue her. Always keep in mind that more than half of the anime is original content. A lot of characters in the anime don't even exist in the manga. We just mentioned Kongo being introduced later in the manga, but honestly it felt more like the author was cashing in on her anime popularity so she feels more like an anime-original character to me. Haruue and Banri are of course also anime-only, as well as any story that involves them.

• Locked thread