Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xtrashiny
Nov 14, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Outstanding first episode. This one at least fulfills every expectation I had from the trailer. We'll see how well the animation quality sticks throughout the rest of the show or if it nosedives after episode 3.

Eren's mom's reaction to seeing them leaving and knowing she was about to die, Hanne's reaction to confronting an actual Titan, everything that made me get SO into the manga was magnificently done. The surroundings were so well fleshed out that it made things even MORE impactful, and I teared up during the buried mom scene.

That particular scene reminds me of...poo poo, I don't remember the animated movie's name, but it's a no-holds-barred showing of the events during the bombing of Hiroshima, and it shows a character run home after the bombing only to find their family buried under a collapsed house, have no strength to lift the rubble to save them and can only sit and watch as their parents and siblings burn to death.

Grave of the fireflys. It and Barefoot Gen are the two most thoroughly depressing animes ive ever seen, especially since they both deal with very real stories.

Anyway, THIS SHOW IS AMAZING. The last anime i felt i needed to see the next episode of this badly was Cowboy Bebop. Anyone know when its coming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Darth Walrus posted:

Barefoot Gen?

That's the one! Man, that poo poo's just horrifying. Not really for this thread, though.

Housh posted:

Learned about this series from Captain Invictus post in the GBS Youtube thread. I haven't heard of the manga...heck I haven't watched an anime in years. Really sold on that first episode.

Should I expect a subbed episode 2 a week from today?
Glad to see someone gave it a watch from that thread and enjoyed it, I had embedded a prior HD video there and that one happened to have an extremely unfortunate thumbnail, which was the reaction shot of Eren and Mikasa as Eren's dad says when I get back I'll show you what's in the basement :v:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I never thought I'd see a show that get me to sympathize with the drunken city guardsman.

Also poo poo is fuuuuuuuuuuuuucked up.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I was sold at the intro part.
Well, this seems to set the new 10 on the scale of "Art quality" and "Animation" i guess.
And it's EVIL!

ps: If any of you get the terrible, terrible idea of going to /a/, don't. It's chock-filled with spoilers about this.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex

Aureon posted:

ps: If any of you get the terrible, terrible idea of going to /a/, don't. It's chock-filled with spoilers about this.

And the manga has some pretty :aaaaa: twists too so people who don't really care still owe it to themselves to stay a little spoiler-free.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yeah, I also knew right after the intro that I HAVE to watch this show.

Hat Butt
Jun 18, 2012
anyone have a good quality subbed version?

found the full ep1 on youtube but the quality is kinda poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1la0axBbcnI

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hat Butt posted:

anyone have a good quality subbed version?

found the full ep1 on youtube but the quality is kinda poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1la0axBbcnI

GG is subbing it.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Housh posted:

Learned about this series from Captain Invictus post in the GBS Youtube thread. I haven't heard of the manga...heck I haven't watched an anime in years. Really sold on that first episode.

Should I expect a subbed episode 2 a week from today?

gg is pretty fast, especially when it comes to good shows, so probably.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

gg is also pretty bad. They cocked up the very first line.
The commie translation is honestly better, but for some bizarre reason they've decided to rename the monsters "Eotenas" because they think it sounds cool

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Speaking of subs, why did they call the Scouting Legion the Recon Corps? It pretty much ruined the show.

Not true show was awesome and I am excited for more

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

Things that grin at you as they try and murder you have long been genuine nightmare fuel for me. I couldn't be sold on this enough.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

PaulC posted:

gg is also pretty bad. They cocked up the very first line.
The commie translation is honestly better, but for some bizarre reason they've decided to rename the monsters "Eotenas" because they think it sounds cool

Titans, giants and jotun (=eotenas) are very, very similar. And considering the setting, using a word from norse mythology might feel a bit more appropriate.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

coreycoryecorey posted:

Speaking of subs, why did they call the Scouting Legion the Recon Corps? It pretty much ruined the show.

Scouting Legion makes no sense tbh.
Official translation is Survey Corps, and that sounds horrible.
I'd guess Recon Corps is a decent choice.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Titans, giants and jotun (=eotenas) are very, very similar. And considering the setting, using a word from norse mythology might feel a bit more appropriate.

Except that most people don't know what it means so it just looks like a nonsense word to them and even in Commies explanation they say "Giant" would be the accurate translation. They also say they know better than the author who seems to want the beasties to be called Titans.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Popo posted:

Commies explanation

I just read that explanation now and I think your avatar might be an accurate summation of what was going on while they were writing it.

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
To be fair, for all we know the Kyojin ARE actually gods or something and it will end with third impact.

I'm 3 months behind on the manga so w/e on that front. I really like the treatment the show is giving this, especially as people were saying, Hannes' staring down the giant. The one niggling thing is that sure, we've barely seen the beginning of a fight scene even, but the small snippet we saw seemed to lack a lot of the sheer energy and sense of speed that I thought of the manga fight scenes as having. Eren and co all sounded a little generic but that is totally fine because it's well established that they are pretty normal kids, maybe with the exception of Armin I guess.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Eotenas is still stupid because it's an old english word, which means it's not in use in any language used today, and even if you wanted to go for an old-timey word for some bizarre reason, it would make more sense to go for its source-word Etunaz (which is proto-Germanic, fitting with the mostly Germanic character-names), or the far more well-known and appropriate Jotunn, which is literally the same word - both come from Etunaz - except, you know, well-known and Norse, which makes more sense given some other names in the series so far.

And that's assuming you do want to change Titans, for some stupid reason.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Wow, great animation quality. Voice acting was good but a little overdone in some parts. But pretty faithful the manga but just seems much bleaker when animated.

I hope they don't change too much or make the animation quality go to poo poo.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Welp, I'm certainly going to my local store and getting the currently out volumes of this. It looks great, though horrific!

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

coreycoryecorey posted:

Mango-chan @ GGKthx.org posted:

No, we’re not going to use “Scouting Legion” because some manga translator translated it that way. Official translations used “Survey Corps,” but we think “Recon Corps” fit better given the nature of what they do (see opening scene).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

It's always amusing to see subbers/scanlators being catty at each other.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Well, at least it's not on the level of 'nakama' and 'keikaku'. :)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
GG has some of the most naturalistic subbing out there (when they aren't being deliberately funny about it) so I'm totally okay with them being kind of catty about this.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Aureon posted:

Scouting Legion makes no sense tbh.
Official translation is Survey Corps, and that sounds horrible.
I'd guess Recon Corps is a decent choice.

Scouting, Survey, and Recon all mean the same thing. Corps and Legion also, effectively, mean the same thing, though I guess Corps implies a greater level of organization.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It's usually a pretty safe bet to assume that GG has made the correct choice. Also a lot of its leadership are Goons and abhor subbing idiocy so there's that too!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

All I know is that with my lovely computer, the amount of typesetting Commie did to put their new title card in the OP crashed my player. I didn't like what GG did with Jojo, but I'll give them a try next week.

By the way, show was fantastic and I'm torn between going ahead and reading the manga or keeping myself virgin for the anime.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Remember that we are undoubtedly going to be seeing an anime-original ending for this series, so chances are it's going to diverge after a point. The manga has not even approached what would be considered a natural cut-off, except for a point rather early on.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
As a long-time fan of the manga, this anime absolutely delivered on every aspect. But when the opening theme started playing, man did I ever get pumped up for this show. :black101: It's not at all what I expected given the tone of the series but boy, I sure do love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f100aYy1wio

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

That was a really good first ep. The whole intro sequence really pulled me in.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Oh man, this is going to be such a good ride. Really loved the intro sequence and the adaptation is pretty good so far.

Anyway, according to this, Noboru Takagi wrote episodes 8, 12, 13, 19, 21, and 22, so we have at least half a year of episodes. :woop:

edit: Went back over the thread and missed AnonSpore's post. :negative: Oh well, here it is in English.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 7, 2013

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Also watched it from that link posted in gbs and I thought it was pretty good. Will look forward to the next episode

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I don't want to spoil the newbies, so where (if anywhere) would be the best place to speculate about the probable endpoint?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't want to spoil the newbies, so where (if anywhere) would be the best place to speculate about the probable endpoint?

If you want to speculate about stuff that's only been in the anime so far and you've only watched the anime, this is the place to do it.

Else, check out the manga thread.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jonjonaug posted:

If you want to speculate about stuff that's only been in the anime so far and you've only watched the anime, this is the place to do it.

Else, check out the manga thread.

I figured as much, I just wasn't sure if spoiler-heavy discussion of a likely ending for the anime would be on topic for the manga thread.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Waffleman_ posted:

I didn't like what GG did with Jojo, but I'll give them a try next week.

GG outright said they where being silly with Jojo, so don't let that put you off.

Great first ep, I just hope they have the budget to keep this up.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
drat, that was a pretty much perfect first episode. The setting is fascinating, the animation is beautiful and holy poo poo those loving giants. I liked how the opening theme got me all :black101: 'LET'S KILL SOME loving GIANTS!' and then... the episode happened.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
The show's confirmed 25 episodes from the BD solicitation. http://www.shingeki.tv/products/bd_01.php

Flergatron 3000
May 8, 2008

you look like a fool with those buns!
Oh man, seeing the 3D gear animated was amazing :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Eggn0g posted:

GG outright said they where being silly with Jojo, so don't let that put you off.

Great first ep, I just hope they have the budget to keep this up.

Yeah, I find them fine other than what they did with Jojo. Translations should really be judged on a case-by-case basis anyway. It's an art, not a science.

• Locked thread