Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What GG did with Jojo is extremely polarizing.
Which is to say good, because it's another option you can take rather than "Textual" run of the mill translations, for which there were plenty for JoJo anyway.
[gg] is good on shows they like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Killer Queen posted:

The show's confirmed 25 episodes from the BD solicitation. http://www.shingeki.tv/products/bd_01.php

ugh, I hope they leave it open for a second season at the end, and don't try and force a terrible anime-only ending. Unfortunately that never happens.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

coreycoryecorey posted:

Speaking of subs, why did they call the Scouting Legion the Recon Corps? It pretty much ruined the show.

Not true show was awesome and I am excited for more

Aureon posted:

Scouting Legion makes no sense tbh.
Official translation is Survey Corps, and that sounds horrible.
I'd guess Recon Corps is a decent choice.

I believe Commie has it translated to Reconnaissance Legion, so pick your poison.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

ugh, I hope they leave it open for a second season at the end, and don't try and force a terrible anime-only ending. Unfortunately that never happens.

Leaving hooks for another season has actually become rather common as of late and it is really grating at times, since there are some cases where the show's not popular enough for a second season.

Though admittedly I'm the sort of person that doesn't mind seeing an anime-only ending since even when it sucks I find it preferable to endings that more or less tell you to read the manga/light novel/whatever to find out what happens next. An adaption should stand on its own without having to resort to other material to find out what really happens :colbert:

(Though the manga has been a hit so if the anime is as well I'm sure it'll probably get another season)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Khagan posted:

I believe Commie has it translated to Reconnaissance Legion, so pick your poison.

That's kind of a mouthful. I like Recon Corps, it's descriptive and straight to the point. The manga translations have been by and large pretty god damned terrible, so no one should be mad or surprised when decent fansub groups do something different.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Srice posted:

Leaving hooks for another season has actually become rather common as of late and it is really grating at times, since there are some cases where the show's not popular enough for a second season.

Though admittedly I'm the sort of person that doesn't mind seeing an anime-only ending since even when it sucks I find it preferable to endings that more or less tell you to read the manga/light novel/whatever to find out what happens next. An adaption should stand on its own without having to resort to other material to find out what really happens :colbert:

(Though the manga has been a hit so if the anime is as well I'm sure it'll probably get another season)

Yeah, the Attack on Titan manga is #15 in the list of 20 top-selling manga for 2012, it sold 2.7 million volumes. For a relatively new series by a formerly unknown creator, that's pretty outstanding. If the anime does anywhere near as well, I'd expect more.

Though their apparent disregard for licensing it for streaming rights is perhaps one of the most foolish paths they could have taken. Holy crap I read that and then, with no other option, torrented it and guffawed when I noticed 6k+ peers.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, the Attack on Titan manga is #15 in the list of 20 top-selling manga for 2012, it sold 2.7 million volumes. For a relatively new series by a formerly unknown creator, that's pretty outstanding. If the anime does anywhere near as well, I'd expect more.

Though their apparent disregard for licensing it for streaming rights is perhaps one of the most foolish paths they could have taken. Holy crap I read that and then, with no other option, torrented it and guffawed when I noticed 6k+ peers.

Ehh, I'm pretty sure I have a good educated guess on the reason for the silence, but it's just some inside baseball that's best kept inside baseball. I think they'll probably just be late in announcing it (and to be clear I don't know who will get the license, and the companies looking to license it), but I doubt it'll go unlicensed. Give it some time.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Well, that was absolutely beautiful.

The manga is pretty close to being my favorite manga ever and this... is such a loving good adaptation. I mean, it's such a grippingly bleak premise, and such a regularly horrifying story, even in manga form, but to see the titans actually lurching around in the golden sunset as that apocalyptic music plays... perfectly evokes a feeling of sheer terror. Not the shock and surprise kind of terror, but the sinking feeling of being doomed and helpless.

Unless they really drop the ball, this isn't just going to be my favorite anime this season, but maybe my favorite ever.

Such a horrible incredible story.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That was pretty good, but does that kid stay awfully annoying like that forever? And does it become less uh, shounenish? That's probably the wrong term and I don't ever watch action shows so I don't know much about this stuff, but it seemed really cliched, kind of.

The setting's interesting but everything else is kinda, eh.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

PotU posted:

That was pretty good, but does that kid stay awfully annoying like that forever? And does it become less uh, shounenish? That's probably the wrong term and I don't ever watch action shows so I don't know much about this stuff, but it seemed really cliched, kind of.

It has some cliche's but for the most part the manga is very good about subverting your expectations and keeping everything tense.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
While I won't be reading the manga for Attack on Titan until this anime adaptation is long over, I couldn't entirely ignore its reputation and the first episode definitely succeeded at making me interested. Humanity's predicament went from bleak to absolutely dire in a quick yet convincing manner and the stakes look like they can only get higher from here on out, unless whoever is responsible for arranging the defense suddenly comes up with a much better plan as a result of the disaster. Yes, there are other walls, but that doesn't seem like it'll be enough anymore. Aside from that...even though the apparent main characters haven't really stood out so far in terms of personality, their introduction was fine and I'm willing to give them time to develop.

I think the material is a natural fit for Tetsuro Araki's skills as a director: he does over-the-top well, especially when it comes to something involving lots of exaggerated action and violence in a harsh, dark or near-apocalyptic setting. Even Highschool of the Dead, for being the trashy fanservice show that it was, also managed to properly transmit a similar impression at times. Considering the writing should hold up better here than there, in a manner of speaking, at the very least the atmosphere already seems spot on. I believe someone might have mentioned this elsewhere, but there is a bit of a Claymore vibe too.

In terms of the current show, I think the only place where things might have gotten slightly out of hand was with a bit of the screaming and the use of speed lines in some of the calmer scenes before the main event came to pass, but the overall effect was still appropriate in context and ultimately suits the later parts of the episode.

wielder fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 8, 2013

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
The Claymore vibe I sense is the "they better not gently caress up the anime-only ending" after I saw that the manga is still ongoing.

I really like the soundtracks and the BGM.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

bubblegumbo0 posted:

The Claymore vibe I sense is the "they better not gently caress up the anime-only ending" after I saw that the manga is still ongoing.

That same thought passed through my mind, but I'm fully prepared to deal with a weak finale again as long as the rest of the show remains good.

wielder fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 8, 2013

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

PotU posted:

The manga likes to take shounen tropes about the power of friendship or whatever and just defecate all over them. Attack on Titan is one of the most honest stories I've ever seen, but it's never hilariously unrelentingly grimdark. You always feel tense because the characters are legitimately threatened, and it makes for a captivating mood. Sometimes things turn to poo poo (as seen in the brilliant first episode) and every victory is hard-earned. I love it.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

PotU posted:

I haven't read the manga, but the first episode reminded me a lot more of your average war story than any kind of shonen battle thingie. You've got the thick background tension, the misplaced sense of idolatry, the disagreement with the mother, the fact that he's a total gently caress up (who I'd bet ends up getting at least one of his future comrades killed), and the crazy horrible poo poo that will probably only serve to strengthen his resolve to do something really dangerous with his life when he should "know better"

I guess I'm trying to it seems more like Gundam 0080 than Naruto, to me

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

bubblegumbo0 posted:

I really like the soundtracks and the BGM.

The last few seconds of the opening makes me think that the anime-only ending is going to be some sort of all out attack on the titans.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Well, that was outright terrifying wasn't it? Great choice for an eyecatch at the end there, though.

I can't wait to watch the rest of it if only for how well animated it looks, I love the big bold lines that really give weight to a lot of movement, especially the titans.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

HoneyBoy posted:

I can't wait to watch the rest of it if only for how well animated it looks, I love the big bold lines that really give weight to a lot of movement, especially the titans.

Yeah, the bold outlines are almost reminiscent of Madhouse's work on Akagi and Kaiji, or a Go Nagai adaptation with a better framerate. Absolute treat to watch. Not a bad consolation prize for JoJo being over.

e:

Waffleman_ posted:

I didn't like what GG did with Jojo, but I'll give them a try next week.

Egad! These terrible titans are trashing our tranquil town!

Bro Enlai fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 8, 2013

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
Wow, that was awesome. Haven't read the manga, but great start to the series. Very intense premise and good animation.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I really like Mikasa so far. She's a great, strong character. She also seems to be calm and cool without being cold and emotionless. I loved how the bullies beating up the blong guy crapped their pants when they saw Mikasa.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Well, that was a really nice episode. The brief shot of the river was lovely, and I can't believe I didn't notice the Barefoot Gen reference before now. The author's really nailing his colours to the mast there! On the other hand, at least we know what the anime-original ending will be: everyone dies!

Incidentally, I take it the distances between the walls in the eyecatch aren't in the manga? Not to :sperg: about it, but if they're right, assuming the city's a perfect circle (of course, it isn't), it's the size of Zambia...

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Oh wow, the music is outrageously good.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

House Louse posted:

Well, that was a really nice episode. The brief shot of the river was lovely, and I can't believe I didn't notice the Barefoot Gen reference before now. The author's really nailing his colours to the mast there! On the other hand, at least we know what the anime-original ending will be: everyone dies!

Incidentally, I take it the distances between the walls in the eyecatch aren't in the manga? Not to :sperg: about it, but if they're right, assuming the city's a perfect circle (of course, it isn't), it's the size of Zambia...

The eyecatches are recreations of similar infographics that are presented in the manga. Regarding the size+distances involved, if you look at the second eyecatch, you'll notice each layer of wall has four half-circle protuberances and you'll notice that when the city is shown from a distance it is also a half-circle... the implication should be obvious from there.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Hortism posted:

Oh wow, the music is outrageously good.

No kidding. If this follows the story of the manga closely and doesn't skew off too much, then the great animation and brilliant music are going to propel this into the all time greats of anime. First episode looked fantastic, I can't wait to see more.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I still can't believe Ishikawa Yui got the part as Mikasa. :3:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Amstrad posted:

The eyecatches are recreations of similar infographics that are presented in the manga. Regarding the size+distances involved, if you look at the second eyecatch, you'll notice each layer of wall has four half-circle protuberances and you'll notice that when the city is shown from a distance it is also a half-circle... the implication should be obvious from there.

There's also a brief image in the manga of the entire human area drawn realistically. It encompasses entire lakes/mountains, but I have no idea how large it's actually supposed to be. Definitely not the size of Zambia.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Giggily posted:

There's also a brief image in the manga of the entire human area drawn realistically. It encompasses entire lakes/mountains, but I have no idea how large it's actually supposed to be. Definitely not the size of Zambia.

I imagine it's supposed to be large enough to contain land for farming and such. It's not like humans can go outside the walls for resources.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Giggily posted:

I distinctly remember picture having a little disclaimer saying it wasn't to scale or necessarily accurate, or something, it was just showing the wall situation, like the eye-catch.

But in any case, I don't know if I did the math wrong or what, but the eyecatch does not indicate it's the size of Zambia. With a radius of 480 km, the whole thing has an area of a bit over 3,000 square kilometers. That puts it between Brunei and Luxembourg in terms of size.

It's a country, not just a city, but it's still not all that big.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 8, 2013

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
I liked it. The abundance of still images sort of annoyed me but I know they're saving the budget for the titan fights so I don't care much. The stuff that was animated was beautiful.

ff7cid
Jun 27, 2008

Beartato! I just became aware of the vast speed at which we are hurtling through the universe! Now it's all I can think about!
Another person checking in from the GBS Youtube thread and wow, that was really good. Tempted to read the manga now because I don't want to have to wait for another episode to find out more about this show.

Hat Butt
Jun 18, 2012
MY GOD. I just finished catching up to the manga today (started yesterday. yes i know :stare: )
I cannot wait until Saturday for Episode 2! Addicted! The anime is amazing and I cannot wait to see how they adapt the manga into 25 episodes (if not more...)

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Amstrad posted:

I realise it's bollocks, thanks, but I remember the diagrams from the manga so I'm asking if it's the manga writer's bollocks or the anime staff's.

ff7cid posted:

Another person checking in from the GBS Youtube thread and wow, that was really good. Tempted to read the manga now because I don't want to have to wait for another episode to find out more about this show.

You really should! The art might take some getting used to, but it's worth it.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

BangBangBang! Commando of the Galaxy

Eiba posted:

But in any case, I don't know if I did the math wrong or what, but the eyecatch does not indicate it's the size of Zambia. With a radius of 480 km, the whole thing has an area of a bit over 3,000 square kilometers.

You're calculating circumference, not area. A circle with a 480km radius would have an area of 723 823km^2, which is about size of Zambia(752 612km^2).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Eiba posted:

I distinctly remember picture having a little disclaimer saying it wasn't to scale or necessarily accurate, or something, it was just showing the wall situation, like the eye-catch.

I just started reading the manga yesterday -- the disclaimer says that the scale is correct, but the layout isn't necessarily, assuming you're talking about the same image I think you are. (It's a more realistic image than the blueprint-style eyecatch.)

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I just started reading the manga yesterday -- the disclaimer says that the scale is correct, but the layout isn't necessarily, assuming you're talking about the same image I think you are. (It's a more realistic image than the blueprint-style eyecatch.)
Ah, that's right. I guess that means the anime/eyecatch scale is bunk.

The Heavenator posted:

You're calculating circumference, not area. A circle with a 480km radius would have an area of 723 823km^2, which is about size of Zambia(752 612km^2).
Oh. Yeah. That sounds right. I math good. :downs:

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Read chapter 1 just before the first episode came out and I was worried about how they'd handle the violence as I feared it'd be censor flare or shadow all over the last scene in particular if they'd totally recreated the manga image, very glad they usd some pretty cool framing instead.
Definitely going to be watching this, though I may just go with the manga.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Anime_Otaku posted:

Read chapter 1 just before the first episode came out and I was worried about how they'd handle the violence as I feared it'd be censor flare or shadow all over the last scene in particular if they'd totally recreated the manga image, very glad they usd some pretty cool framing instead.
Definitely going to be watching this, though I may just go with the manga.

I don't think we're out of the woods yet in regards to censorship. People get gruesomely, horribly murdered and then eaten pretty much every hour on the hour throughout the manga. That one scene played out well, but being that clever for the entire run of the show is going to be difficult at best.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Eiba posted:

Ah, that's right. I guess that means the anime/eyecatch scale is bunk.

Oh. Yeah. That sounds right. I math good. :downs:

Just to be precise, the total radius is 250km, which nets an area of 196'250 km^2, which is more or less all UK.
Plenty of space to do anything, i'd say. Humans are probably over a million.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Sounds reasonable, that should fit neatly somewhere inside Central Europe. Jaeger is a German surname, Eren is a Turkish name, which makes sense because there's tons of ties between Turkey and Germany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Holy poo poo, I'm a manga fan and the translation to animation was pretty much perfect. Once the giants started rolling in I was speechless at how the animators encapsulated all the terror and tragedy. I'm torn between watching Eren's mother's death again and just savoring the "wow" factor of watching it the first time.

• Locked thread