Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Babygravy posted:

Big thing in every episode..
Please, they prefer to be called "titans"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I enjoyed OVA 3. Well worth watching if you like the series so far. You don't have to wait until you finish the series to watch it either. It should all make sense and be spoiler free as long as you are about a quarter of the way through or so.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!
I'm another one of those viewers who knows jack poo poo about anime and manga and actively avoided them up to watching this show. I had a lot of difficulty slogging through the Trost stuff and gave up on the show for a couple weeks at one point before getting back to it. Has Japan not heard of "show don't tell" yet, or is this specific to Attack on Titan? Armin's inner-monologue was just horrible stuff.

Still, I've almost finished watching through it a second time with friends, and I gotta say, I like it a lot more this time around. I've mostly learned to come to terms with the over explaining of motivations at this point.

Is there a cheap way to read this stuff or is it actually five bucks a chapter?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Agent Tough Juice posted:

I'm another one of those viewers who knows jack poo poo about anime and manga and actively avoided them up to watching this show. I had a lot of difficulty slogging through the Trost stuff and gave up on the show for a couple weeks at one point before getting back to it. Has Japan not heard of "show don't tell" yet, or is this specific to Attack on Titan? Armin's inner-monologue was just horrible stuff.

It is not that they have not heard of it. It is just a different style of presenting certain types of content. It is a matter of preference but I personally like it in AoT and a lot of other animes, but it really depends on whether I care about the characters and what they are experiencing enough.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Also remember that AoT, like many other anime, is adapted from a manga (black and white serial comic). It's kind of harder to do show instead of tell in that medium; I suspect American comics have a similar issue from the few I've really read.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Has Japan not heard of "show don't tell" yet, or is this specific to Attack on Titan? Armin's inner-monologue was just horrible stuff.
I think part of it is a heavier reliance on stage-theatrical conventions of storytelling.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Still, I've almost finished watching through it a second time with friends, and I gotta say, I like it a lot more this time around. I've mostly learned to come to terms with the over explaining of motivations at this point.

Is there a cheap way to read this stuff or is it actually five bucks a chapter?
You can buy the books off of Amazon for about $10 a pop, or $5 on kindle, but that is almost 200 pages of comic per book. You're definitely getting your money's worth!

I found the monologuing more acceptable on paper, because you can skim across it in a second, and you don't to wait thirty seconds for a voice actor to slog through it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Xavier434 posted:

It is not that they have not heard of it. It is just a different style of presenting certain types of content. It is a matter of preference but I personally like it in AoT and a lot of other animes, but it really depends on whether I care about the characters and what they are experiencing enough.

No, it's terrible.

In the case of Attack on Titan a lot of it was added for the show and is only there to make sure they didn't catch up with the source material too quickly.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No, it's terrible.

In the case of Attack on Titan a lot of it was added for the show and is only there to make sure they didn't catch up with the source material too quickly.

By the time the show started the manga was well past the point where it ended, wasn't it?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Saagonsa posted:

By the time the show started the manga was well past the point where it ended, wasn't it?
Yea. A lot of it was added for the show and is only there to ??? who the gently caress knows

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No, it's terrible.

I can't say why it was added. I just know that it made me appreciate the characters more than I would have otherwise. I like knowing what they are thinking and why they are thinking it just as much I like to see what they do in reaction to their thoughts and surroundings. There are some portions where it could have been toned down some and I would have been just as happy but at that point I would consider myself being picky.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Jackard posted:

Yea. A lot of it was added for the show and is only there to ??? who the gently caress knows

Showcase the importance of pomegranates on troop morale.
(Or alternatively, it was there to attempt to contain as much of Tetsurō Araki's obsessive love for the overblown and disdain for the inferred as much as possible!)

Personally, I saw the anime before I read the manga, and my feelings are pretty neutral about the additions. Some I like, like the scene where Jean's 3DMG failed and he had to navigate the town. That added both character time, as well as more of a sense of how terrible the world was. A few were pretty terrible, like the scene with Pixis and the noble, which had about as much symbolism and subtlety as a Titan's hand ramming you and turning you into a paste. Many are...you can kind of see what they were trying to do to make a scene from the manga make more sense, but it was handled clumsily. Not terrible, just kind of okay/not bad.

Though it is completely true that a lot of the additions are just...baffling. For instance, my personal annoyancde with the anime is that at least half the character development from the training arc is cut (which would have really helped the viewer understand the relationship between Annie and Eren more), but I understand it was to keep a pace where the 5th episode, early on in the series, was a big shock.

Then there are so many small changes that make you think, "what were they thinking when they changed/added this?" For instance, the fact that in the anime, Mikasa is learning a cross-stitch pattern from her mother, and in the manga, she is (this is not really a spoiler) getting a tattoo or a brand on her arm.

When the second season comes out, I'm going to make sure not to re-read any of the manga for a while before that, because I know I'll nitpick it to death otherwise.

Catalina fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 19, 2014

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
They have a source material to go off of and they can't really deviate too much from that. Attack on Titan manga was very talky too. It just isn't something that is easily circumvented and as long as it serves to add to the drama, who the gently caress cares.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm pretty sure the tattoo was a plot point the author has stated he ditched.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Anime generally has to have a certain number of episodes to cut TV schedules. They probably wanted to finish the anime on the end of an arc and padded accordingly.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Anime generally has to have a certain number of episodes to cut TV schedules. They probably wanted to finish the anime on the end of an arc and padded accordingly.
There was a much better ending they could have reached without most of the filler.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jackard posted:

There was a much better ending they could have reached without most of the filler.

They also cut stuff out so they didn't even need to add filler or at least as much.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The only time the monologuing got really annoying to me was when Eren had just stopped being a titan for the first time (am I supposed to spoiler this? I don't really know anything other than spoilers are an extra big deal in this thread) and Armin spent an entire episode monologuing. That was pretty annoying, but for the most part I didn't mind.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Yeah, you should spoiler that.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
I've been seeing screens and gifs popping up about A Choice With No Regrets which I think is a Levi-centered OVA or something?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Syrant posted:

I've been seeing screens and gifs popping up about A Choice With No Regrets which I think is a Levi-centered OVA or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egyQZ_i8oHs

Yup.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Nice. Do we know about when it is expected to be out?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I don't like how they translated Levi's horseback speech. Was supposed to have something like "make the choice you will least regret" but ended up mostly nonsense. Now they'll be flashbacking to it the rest of the season.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 22, 2014

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Jackard posted:

I don't like how they translated Levi's horseback speech. Was supposed to have something like "make the choice you will least regret" but ended up mostly nonsense. Now they'll be flashbacking to it the rest of the season.

Is this about the dub? If so, how did they handle it?

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
stoppedtf

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
stoppedtf

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
stoppedtf

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
stoppedtf

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
stoppedtf

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
its a good thing you stopped that TF there, was worried for a second

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Zogundar posted:

Is this about the dub? If so, how did they handle it?
Poorly. They hosed up the "we'll never win if we only make the best moves" "this is the best move!" scene too

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
Ih

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Attack on Titan is getting a second season in 2016. Can't say when, but there will be a second movie this spring beforehand.

quote:

According to a tweet from a person who attended the movie's premiere, it was announced at the end of Shingeki no Kyojin Movie 1: Guren no Yumiya that Shingeki no Kyojin 2nd Season will air in 2016. Also announced was the premiere date of Shingeki no Kyojin Movie 2: Jiyuu no Tsubasa, which will be June 27, 2015.

Source: Tweet, Official Tweets via Nekonotemo

Previous related news: 'Shingeki no Kyojin' 2nd Season in Pre-Production

News submitted by Kenai_Fakkuyu
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1311551

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
ok the movies being named after the theme songs is pretty fuckin hilarious

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

And confusing.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike
I just caught up on a big chunk of this thread, and it's disappointing to see the advice that one should "start on chapter 32" of the manga over and over like gospel truth. It's one thing when someone asks specifically "where does the anime end and new stuff start?", but it was just flat out given as the only reasonable approach. I'd like to suggest that after finishing the anime, if anyone hasn't read the manga - or if you did start on chapter 32 - that you should start on chapter 1. It's not like it takes a long time to read, and I would say it is worth it.

If you don't plan on reading the manga at all, carry on.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

thegodofchuck posted:

I just caught up on a big chunk of this thread, and it's disappointing to see the advice that one should "start on chapter 32" of the manga over and over like gospel truth. It's one thing when someone asks specifically "where does the anime end and new stuff start?", but it was just flat out given as the only reasonable approach. I'd like to suggest that after finishing the anime, if anyone hasn't read the manga - or if you did start on chapter 32 - that you should start on chapter 1. It's not like it takes a long time to read, and I would say it is worth it.

If you don't plan on reading the manga at all, carry on.

It's not advice. It is a direct answer to the question of, "Where does the manga pick up where the anime left off?" which is what everyone keeps asking. I agree that the manga is an excellent read from beginning to end though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

By and large nobody gives that advice since if people want to see the differences in the anime and manga it's p easy to figure out where to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

• Locked thread