Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Watched the episode live. Kaji Yuuki's Eren was pretty unimpressive, and I'm not quite sold on Inoue as Armin yet. Voice acting woes aside, it was pretty good, though understandably a little less graphic than the manga. Like for instance the bit where Eren's mom gets eaten is shown outright in the manga, while in the anime you only get a cut of the titan biting down and then blood flying everywhere.

Oh, and if the 3D Gear sequences from the opening are any indication, the action scenes in this anime are going to be absolutely glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Demicol posted:

After watching the episode twice, I think Eren's voice fits pretty well. I'm not a big fan of the actor either.

Oh yes, I freely admit my beef with Kaji is a general dislike of his voice instead of something to do with Eren specifically.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

So apparently the anime is confirmed for two seasons, based on a tweet from one of the anime's scenario writers saying he's in charge of 6 episodes, including four that're past episode 12 (which would be the end of a single season).

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

The bit that really stood out to me is screaming at Hannes and Eren and Mikasa to run, being thankful for it, and the quietly telling herself she doesn't want to see her children leave.

Her death was so much more merciful than the manga, and I don't begrudge it one bit. The backsnap surely put put her into shock :ohdear:

I don't think having your upper body twisted like a bottle top qualifies as merciful at all. :stare:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

paragon1 posted:

That ain't smugness. That's bliss.

The potato scene was pretty great though. I feel like for a minute there the drill sergeant went from being impressed with her to kinda touched. Of course he immediately made him run a bunch of laps but still.

I always read that scene as the drill sergeant thinking "How can this girl be so god drat stupid?"

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Aureon posted:

A (not compresive) list of the new usage of the new Guile Theme:

The JoJo one is extremely impressive because the footage isn't edited at all. It's literally the JoJo's opening with the music pasted on top and it still looks great.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

The first Fullmetal Alchemist.

Ah yes, alchemy comes from another world, also dragons, and Nazis.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

So here's a question for the manga people, that I would like answered with a mind to not spoiling anything. Of course, if the answer to the question is super spoily, just say so and I won't push the issue but: if you get swallowed whole, how do you die? Crushed to death in the esophagus? Are titans airtight on the inside? Stomach acid?

Because I've played a lot of videogames, and lemme tell ya, sometimes being swallowed whole is just the trick for how to kill some kinda giant fuckoff hugeguy :c00lbutt:

I'm going off memory and my memory's poo poo so I'm probably somewhat wrong, but the gist of it is that Titans have stomach acid, weak but still lethal with prolonged exposure. People who haven't been fatally wounded can still be conscious inside a titan, but they can't really escape so they eventually succumb.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Azzents posted:

I've always wondered; Is that some sort of idiom in Japan to mean sheer determination that gets directly translated?

It's basically just a phrase that means "no matter what," sort of like when someone says in English "I'll do it even if it kills me." Direct translation makes it sound very awkward, though.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

BrilliantFool posted:

Since nobody seems to have commented on this yet, I will. You're awesome. This is awesome. :3: (Did you make these?)

Reading this thread is really great- somehow I haven't seen anyone randomly posting huge manga spoilers, which I thought for sure would happen with this kind of series. Of course, now that I've said it, someone's going to do exactly that, aren't they? :(

Man wait until you find out it was a dream all along, and Eren is actually a mentally disturbed kid in a hospital who dreams that the doctors and other adults around him are man-eating titans

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

Now if someone would explain why a good number of the fanart revolves around Mikasa Ackerman and Misaka Mikoto. There's a 2ch joke that I missed, right?

Misaka, Mikasa. Mikasa, Misaka.

That's the entire reason.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

Perhaps they can do a Kickstarter to fund each episode, and the person who makes the highest donation for an episode gets to decide which soldier gets eaten during that episode.

Gonna spend my life savings to get Sasha eaten

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Zogundar posted:

I though Baccano! and Bleach at least caught up to the source material? I wasn't aware that they were deliberately flushed.

Kenshin I watched and read everything years after they were over with so I don't know if it was a situation similar to Bleach, or if they could have animated the Jinchuu arc.

Baccano had something like 9 or 10 volumes out (it's currently at 18, I think) at the time the anime was decided, but only covered about four and a half. There were hints in the first episode that they would cover the arc after that (volumes 6 and 7) but that never amounted to anything.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Zogundar posted:

what
:ughh:

I thought for sure the fact that they did an anime for its sequel/twin/whatever Durarara meant it was more popular than that.

Late reply, but DRRR has nothing in common with Baccano save the fact that they both take place in the same world and are written by the same person. Outside of that they're totally separate stories with entirely different themes. DRRR's popularity came a lot from its familiar setting (to Japanese people, teens in Ikebukuro are a hell of a lot more relatable than gangsters in 1930s America) and Shizuo and Izaya, who were a huge hit with the fujoshi fans. Baccano airing only on a cable channel with a weird time slot (probably due to the gore) certainly didn't help. Another problem is that the Baccano anime changed up some stuff which didn't sit well with fans of the original, so they took a hit on that front as well.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Given the naming conventions, I'm pretty sure the story is meant to be set in Germany.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

I think what it comes down to, based on what we know so far, is that the elite have given up hope for humanity's survival and have stopped giving a gently caress about winning their war against the titans. They want to shore up all of their money and assets so that they can live comfortably when the end comes.

I don't agree. The way I see it, the elite want things to stay the way they are now, and prior to the colossal titan they had no reason to think the walls would ever fall so of course humanity would survive. Even after the colossal titan comes along, it's a distant thing that happens to the poor people, and besides they have the Best of the Best Military Police to protect them. They don't think an end will ever come because they have all this power and money, how could the titans ever get past that?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

There's a Skyrim mod out there that replaces Alduin with Macho Man Randy Savage, complete with "Macho man is comin'!" in place of distant dragon roars.

What I'm saying is that someone talented needs to draw a colossal Macho Man breaking down the walls, then a heavily armored Hulk Hogan smashing through the doors.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

In every episode the titan that eats Eren has a differently styled beard

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Wait, Misaka has a completely plausible body weight for a 5'7" woman built like a MMA fighter? What black sorcery is this?

She and Levi/Rivaille are really heavy for their height compared to everyone else in the series.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Don't they live on diets that're much more frugal than what modern people consider normal? I mean, even potatoes are rationed out, and any sort of meat is a rare delicacy.

But yeah, more likely it's probably Isayama going by Japanese standards.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Must've Dire Gouged the nape of his neck :v:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Cheston posted:

Question about adaptation stuff, since I know nothing about how Japan works: Do manga authors tend to have manuscripts? Or, how often have those been used when an adaptation caught up?

(I only ever saw FMA: Brotherhood, but I looked up how the original anime ended and it sounded kind of silly. Dunno how many other anime adaptations there have been from ongoing series. A lot?)

Mangaka use things called names, which are like really rough storyboards that're just meant to give you a sense of the paneling, angles, dialog, etc. Sometimes these will even be used when the story writer isn't actually drawing the manga, like in the case of Death Note, but in other cases the story writer will just write up a script for the artist to adapt, yes. Since Isayama does art and story by himself it's far more likely that he does names instead of scripts, though no doubt he has tons of scribbled notes on the world and characters in a binder somewhere too.

Isayama claims to have the whole story plotted out already, so the only way we're getting an anime original ending is if the studio decides that's the best move.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Bakanogami posted:

Ever since the episode where Eren got eaten, Japanese nerds have been finding reaction videos of Americans who haven't read the manga watching the anime on Youtube and reposting them to niconico to comment on them. It's gone on for several episodes now so I guess it's becoming a Thing. Here's the tag (Assault on Gaijin series) if anyone's curious.

I also like that after there were a lot of comparisons of the entry scene of the rogue titan in episode 7 to Eva that they've taken to calling it "Erengelion".

Oh god that was far too amusing for what it was.

And yeah, Erengelion has been around since the manga chapter.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Archer2338 posted:

Here's the youtube link to one of the reaction composite videos that's on the Japanese site (which you need to register for)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaYqjVJvHgk

It's not the same without the scrolling comments of the Japanese viewers laughing their asses off when the one guy just gets up and goes away.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I liked the joke proposal where "nakama" was changed to "bro" which ended up in precious lines such as "I COULDN'T SAVE A SINGLE BRO."

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Rexides posted:

I would have gone with "Giant Assholes" to be honest.

I have never watched One Piece, is there a group that did this? I would watch that in a heart-beat.

Nah, it was part of a joke translation mocking the ridiculous practice of leaving nakama untranslated because it *~carries so many complex cultural and social nuances that are impossible to encompass in any one English word~*. Notable examples outside of that line also included "You are all... my precious bros" and "If not for you and your bros...!"

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Speaking of which, just how do her glasses stay on?

All the soldiers who have glasses (granted, that's only two so far) have them attached via bands that wrap around their heads like goggles. It's a really neat touch.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

You can't really be "good" at fighting an enemy that's faster, stronger, tougher, and at points more numerous than you are. Especially considering that if you make a mistake you're pretty much dead right there unless you have extraordinary luck/skill.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Sylphid posted:

That's true, but it does raise the question of what exactly does humanity expect to happen when the Titans inevitably show up again, before the events of the first episode. There's certainly the fact that a Titan that could break down / scale the outermost wall wasn't expected, but when all the raiding parties beforehand were soundly beaten when they ventured outside, it doesn't speak well of the equipment or training of the soldiers.

All the material so far has pointed at the scouts being a place where troublemakers are sent to die, and nobody thought the walls would ever fall. The talk about reclaiming the outside world was always bullshit.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Magna Kaser posted:

I don't know Japanese, but I do know Chinese and 巨人 just means HUGE DUDE aka a giant. I'm guessing the Japanese meaning isn't far off. I don't think Titan, insofar as a giant person, is really Engrishy at all. Relating it to the moon of the same name in English is a bit of a stretch, though.

I think this episode was deliberately a bit slower cause they wanted it to end where they did, really. The horrifying half constructed Titan was pretty chilling and as far as making a TV show that will make people want to tune in again next week I think it paid off.

I haven't really read the manga, but I think the pacing is pretty great in this show.

He's just saying that the word kyojin has no relation to "Titan" as in the celestial body.

...Which is what Isayama wants you to think, but in reality it's actually a subtitle, not a translation. :unsmigghh:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Maybe I shouldn't bring back the Titans/Eotens stuff from pages back, but I've always mentally translated "kyojin" as "hugemen" and it always makes me smile. March of the Hugemen.

Shingeki no Kyojin: The Advancing Bigdudes

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

What the hell, people. :psyduck:

The title makes perfect sense. It doesn't mean "March of the Giants" and never has, and the fact that it doesn't does not mean Isayama is illiterate or dyslexic or what have you. The title refers to titans that are advancing. Like, you know, on humanity. Isayama messed up the translation but the Japanese is not incorrect.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

DaveKap posted:

I'm kinda glad this thread is low on gifs. Means I can shine a bit! :D

There's a version out there of that guy with a bow on his head and toast in his mouth.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

Alternately, it is a city of small folk. Eren accidentally smashes their walls and eats some of them.

It's revealed that to titans, human beings look like they're made of chocolate.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The two heroes of Attack on Titan, and Eren Jaeger.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

You guys are acting as though you've never seen an anime butt mousepad before

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

How the hell do they even work, surly the butt would get in the way of your wrist?

It's meant to be a rest for your wrist to keep it from getting fatigued. They do it with boobs and balls too.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

In other news, all Japanese people are Nazi sympathizers, and German and Nazi are synonyms.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Mutation posted:

So even with the increasing popularity of the show, they'll still end the series at 26 episodes? I have no idea how the anime industry works.

Usually the way it happens is that if it's a success, a second season that covers more material is greenlighted for a future time (the monogatari series, Railgun, or even Kaiji, to name a few recent ones). Part of it is because if you had the new season following right after the old one, there might not be enough material to animate, which is a big problem because it leads to anime original filler which is horrendous. This is certainly the case for AoT, so even if you saw a second season it'd probably be several years down the line, or maybe even after the series is finished entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Tender Child Loins posted:

This fandom can be kind of upsetting sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTscV6yGr0Q

I personally think it's loving hilarious. I've seen quite a few music video drawn reenactions with anime characters and that's one of the better ones, even if they look a bit weird.

vvv I think there's a bit of uncanny valley at work; the motion of the drawn faces doesn't seem to really jive with the probably straight traced actions of the human models.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 21, 2013

• Locked thread