Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Outstanding first episode. This one at least fulfills every expectation I had from the trailer. We'll see how well the animation quality sticks throughout the rest of the show or if it nosedives after episode 3.

Eren's mom's reaction to seeing them leaving and knowing she was about to die, Hanne's reaction to confronting an actual Titan, everything that made me get SO into the manga was magnificently done. The surroundings were so well fleshed out that it made things even MORE impactful, and I teared up during the buried mom scene.

That particular scene reminds me of...poo poo, I don't remember the animated movie's name, but it's a no-holds-barred showing of the events during the bombing of Hiroshima, and it shows a character run home after the bombing only to find their family buried under a collapsed house, have no strength to lift the rubble to save them and can only sit and watch as their parents and siblings burn to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Darth Walrus posted:

Barefoot Gen?

That's the one! Man, that poo poo's just horrifying. Not really for this thread, though.

Housh posted:

Learned about this series from Captain Invictus post in the GBS Youtube thread. I haven't heard of the manga...heck I haven't watched an anime in years. Really sold on that first episode.

Should I expect a subbed episode 2 a week from today?
Glad to see someone gave it a watch from that thread and enjoyed it, I had embedded a prior HD video there and that one happened to have an extremely unfortunate thumbnail, which was the reaction shot of Eren and Mikasa as Eren's dad says when I get back I'll show you what's in the basement :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Srice posted:

Leaving hooks for another season has actually become rather common as of late and it is really grating at times, since there are some cases where the show's not popular enough for a second season.

Though admittedly I'm the sort of person that doesn't mind seeing an anime-only ending since even when it sucks I find it preferable to endings that more or less tell you to read the manga/light novel/whatever to find out what happens next. An adaption should stand on its own without having to resort to other material to find out what really happens :colbert:

(Though the manga has been a hit so if the anime is as well I'm sure it'll probably get another season)

Yeah, the Attack on Titan manga is #15 in the list of 20 top-selling manga for 2012, it sold 2.7 million volumes. For a relatively new series by a formerly unknown creator, that's pretty outstanding. If the anime does anywhere near as well, I'd expect more.

Though their apparent disregard for licensing it for streaming rights is perhaps one of the most foolish paths they could have taken. Holy crap I read that and then, with no other option, torrented it and guffawed when I noticed 6k+ peers.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That is great news!

Also I've rewatched the first episode a few times, and I really have to say, it may be one of the strongest first showings of any series I've seen. Is there another comparative-length show that has such an impressive first episode? Having trouble thinking of one.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ah, I never watched that after I heard it didn't live up to the initial hype.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HoneyBoy posted:

Not to mention the way they look at everything, unfaltering smile and wide-eyed glances, holy god. :stare:

Attack On Titan(Shingeki No Kyojin) - Nice To Eat You :D

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I had serious doubts on the veracity to your claim of that being "literally the best thing", but upon watching it that certainly is a god drat strong contender.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
As well as man-portable gas-powered precision grappling-jetpacks apparently, but who's counting.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
But it's alright, because the last five minutes loving OWNED. Next episode preview: poo poo goes DOWN. :unsmigghh:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think my biggest complaint about this episode, aside from still shots(which seem to be becoming more frequent) was the Colossal Titan just kinda teleports in. One frame not there, next frame PEEKABOO! I dunno, it was kinda jarring for such a dramatic moment. Rest of all that was outstanding though.

edit: please make as many Sasha gifs as possible.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ShardPhoenix posted:

Yeah the colossal titan seems to appear in a bolt of lightning or something which makes me think something weird might be happening?
No, like, the bolt of lightning happens, and then in the cloud of smoke, one frame it's not here, the very next frame, it is. No 2-3 frames of "appearing", just POOF! HEY GUYS, WHAT'S GOIN' ON ON THIS WALL

It felt kinda low-quality especially considering all that followed, is all.

And yeah, the stills are really good as far as stills go, but generally, too many stills aren't good for maintaining the flow of a show.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 28, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Centzon Totochtin posted:

That is some Rita Repulsa level poo poo you are suggesting there, and it makes me wonder if the titans came from the moon.

What if.........this "planet" is actually TITAN, Jupiter's moon?? MAKES YOU THINK! :aaa:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

njsykora posted:

I'd be amazed if this didn't happen, it'd be stupid not to.

I think you've got your definitions of what would be really stupid backwards.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Waffleman_ posted:

Man, I want it, but it wouldn't work on my iPhone 5 because the jack is on the bottom.

That would make it even funnier.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If it's any consolation for those who are tempted by the manga, those of us who HAVE read the whole thing are, if anything, even MORE hyped because Production IG is doing such a loving INCREDIBLE HOLY poo poo job with this show.

This episode was perfectly done. Like, really. I had seriously reservations on how they would handle what happened in this episode and they pulled it off almost flawlessly, exceeding my expectations in some cases.

I KNEW that the bit from the original trailer where Eren was zipping really fast under and over and through stuff like Spiderman was cut off right before he got his poo poo right the hosed up. I knew it! And it was SO GOOD!

Man I loving LOVE this series. Best part is: the entire thing is this good and jaw-dropping. This isn't just a strong start. The whole thing is outstanding, grim, dark, somehow manages to be humorous at just the right times(like Sasha), and then a sprinkle of occasional schadenfreude on top.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 5, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I read an Attack on Titan fan wiki today. I thought it would have spoiler warnings. That was a mistake.

Don't ever think this. Fan wikis are the worst for being subtle about things. I'm sure if you were to go to a random FF7 fanwiki's Aeris page it'll be all "Aeris Gainsborough is a character in this game WHO DIES". They're terrible.

It's one of those Game of Thrones-type situations where there's tons of things to spoil. This is why I'm glad a bunch of people are going to read the manga after the latest episode, because it's best to discover on your own rather than have some random schmoe ruin it either by accident or on purpose. I certainly still enjoy the anime just as much after reading the manga, since seeing it in motion is a LOT different than seeing it off-proportionedly drawn in black and white.

Though I still think the manga artist draws wayyyyyyy creepier Titans.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I feel like there was an animation error and it really bugs me because I see it EVERY TIME when that dude gets literally pasted in midair a huge grey rectangle goes flying off through the air. I'm guessing that was supposed to be something else like equipment or something but didn't get rendered properly, since I bet the soldiers don't carry around large pieces of sheet metal on their backs.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Holy crap you people. Mikasa is not a Mary Sue.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This show does not "defy most stereotypes". Tropes exist for a reason, and subverting them at all times makes for really terrible storytelling in the complete opposite direction of a by-the-numbers show.

Attack On Titan loves to subvert many expectations, that much is true. Just look at this episode and the reaction to it. Or how Hannes and Eren's mother acted in the very first episode, how many people probably expected Hannes to die heroically in a suicidal honor charge instead of have a moment of reality and chose cowardice and survival over fulfilling an obligation. Or Eren's mother losing her facade for a moment and begging not to be left behind despite KNOWING it would mean the end of her children and herself anyways. Showing base human nature is one of the best parts of the show.

That's the caliber of subversion you will see as the show continues, so if you thought episode 5 was great, boy you're in for a ride. :getin:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I hear Gantz kills dudes just for laffs, right? Not really any reason?

AoT kills dudes and there's usually a reason why, or justification for it, instead of just random piano-fell-on-me death. I assume that's what people mean by Gantz's death toll anyways, just completely random death instead of, say, a bunch of guys charging forth towards an enemy which has been, up to this point, set up as the most terrifying thing mankind has ever encountered and has killed millions of people. I don't know why people expect them to just do their thing and then cut to them standing cockily in front of a pile of Titan corpses. It would completely decapitate any threat the Titans pose if a bunch of newbies did that on their first outing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mio Bison posted:

The dude behind Attack on Titan wrote out the major plot points for the entire story before he began drawing, he runs a freakishly tight ship and everyone reading the manga loves him, you have nothing to worry about until Production IG throws the whole thing out the window and decides that the Colossal Titan is Hitler's most trusted general and he and Mikasa have an idol singoff to decide the fate of humanity.

So he's basically Evil Spock Eichiiro Oda?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Prison Warden posted:

In the sense that they are both cool dudes except one has a sweet goatee?
And more that one makes a Shounen that surprises people in uplifting ways, and the other makes a shounen that surprises people in :stare: ways. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

socialsecurity posted:

But you see it wasn't exactly like the manga in every way and therefore terrible!

I, too, love hyperbole!

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 12, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Everyone in this series is mad. The women, the children, the men. Titans are figments of people's imaginations, they don't actually exist, it's really just the inhumanity of humanity that is the TRUE enefddjknsvdrbrrrrzzzzzzzzzzzz

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Stall_19 posted:

Well when I saw that that panel from the manga my first thought was that was pretty dumb. I stop thinking in the context of the story and start thinking about it in the context of the person who wrote the scene.
Wow you should stop doing that, how do you enjoy anything?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I can't wait for the next episode both because it will stop this kinda played out discussion, and I don't think I would be lying if I said this coming episode is the one I have looked forward to the most. :unsmigghh:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 16, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah I figured even half the post that was originally there was too spoilery, so instead I just said "SO HYPED" in longer words. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Suddenly, Foxy appears and challenges Armin to a boxing match.

Armin has a mental breakdown and curls into a gibbering fetal position mess.

Foxy wins!! He takes the upper half of that guy people spent a page and a half discussing as his new crew member!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's pretty common to have younger guys voiced by women VAs, I wouldn't read too much into it.

Luffy from One Piece is voiced by a woman, for example.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Welp, congrats guys. They pulled off the episode I was most afraid they would possibly gently caress up. You're in for a hell of a ride.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Why would you care about anyone besides Sasha?

Given the titan's eye color, it should be pretty obvious that it's Eren. I guess all that's left now is to explain how he became one (probably dad-related), and whether he can become human again? It would kind of suck if the struggle between man and titan was resolved by a human/titan defeating ALL the titans though.

Please consider that people who have read the whole manga are super hyped and saying this is one of their favorite series in years and not "welp, thanks for enjoying the only good part of this series with us guys, it's all downhill from here".

The author knows what he's doing and so far, even in manga-land, has yet to screw things up. So feel confident that this might be one of the best series in the last decade if it continues at the pace it's been going, which with episode 7's quality and accuracy(aside from the ninja dodgin' Mikasa and the pomegranate thing which are anime-only) it has shown very little signs of loving up.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Talk about completely misunderstanding and getting real touchy about it!

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 19, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

XboxPants posted:

I agree that the minor additions/alterations the anime is making change the tone of some scenes, and sometimes even the show overall. To me, though, that's an improvement. As other have mentioned, the boxing titan stuff in this episode was really freaking crazy. When I read that in the manga, it felt a little bit out of place. It was just a little less grounded and a little more anime than the rest of the show. Having that scene with Mikasa doing crazy anime backflips helps even out the tone and make the boxing titan feel more like it's part of the same universe as the rest of the characters.
Yo, check your inbox, I PMed you the explanation of why I think the manga did this particular part better.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

rainy day posted:

This show has an interesting premise and fantastic production values but so far the protagonist is such a dumb loving bratty idiot it's ruining my enjoyment of anything else.

I have this weird feeling you haven't gotten very far into it. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Autonomous Monster posted:

https://countdown.mandragon.info

Airs about 2am every Sunday, Japan time.

This link really ought to be at the top of the Spring 2013 thread.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ahahahahaha, the botch at the start, and the barely-contained laughter throughout most of it finally breaking down during the ho-ho-hoing was amaaaaaazing!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
One of the larger fansub groups insisted on calling them "Eotens" instead of Titans because it's more ~authentic~ or some poo poo.

Nevermind that the title of the series is literally there underscoring it in English that it's Titan, no, we're gonna call them Eoten because Jotunn!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Phobophilia posted:

I could understand using Eotenas if they gratuitously threw in random german words like GuP but nope, we're going to use this and only this particular germanic word.

Nakama

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Xythar posted:

Or maybe yours is. Are we really going to go down this road?

I'm not one of the people who claims anything free is absolved from criticism, but I see absolutely no reason to get personal about something like this. Not with me and not with the editor in question.

I don't mind if you disagree with his decisions, but have some perspective.

I think the good Doctor rw rw rw made a pretty intelligent and educated and not really personal explanation of why your friend's choice is ignorant, though. HAVE SOME PERSPECTIVE from someone who literally knows what they're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SpartanIV posted:

I got a weird and unwelcome Naruto vibe when he bit his thumb and summoned a giant skeletal protector

I get a weird and unwelcome vibe when I think about Naruto in general, so you're not alone.

• Locked thread