Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Powered through all the episodes yesterday. Holy poo poo why didn't I start watching sooner? :psyduck:

Or maybe why didn't I wait until the series was done. So many cliffhangers that I couldn't help but say 'one more episode.' after each one.

You could be like a Titan junkie and switch to the manga, where you'd get a NEW high for a short time before going into an even worse withdrawal than the anime causes, switching from a week's wait to a month's wait.

:v:

edit: should've reloaded the page :negative:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The people reacting that way in this thread are all anime-only people though.

I could probably say that Sasha was orchestrating the entire Titan plot in order to eliminate more people so she'd have more potatoes to herself and I'm sure some people would believe me and react that way.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, that angry/scared leader dude was nowhere NEAR as relateable in the manga. They definitely gave him a lot more development here, for better or worse(such as his extra scene in the refueling station).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It was a bit padded yes, but I seriously am baffled by you people chicken littling. It really wasn't that bad, also it had Pixis being Pixis, and Pixis is awesome.

Also it's awfully convenient that people are forgetting Sasha's decidedly cowardly attempts to get off duty!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Dude, spoilers! The colossal titan pizza distraction tactic wasn't deployed until chapter 38!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The real problem with the manga is the hands.

The tiny, tiny, tiny hands.

Bad anatomical proportion skill makes for loving HORRIFYING Titans though!

Here's an example of why people say the artist is real good at showing kinetic energy in a single frame. There's some cringeworthy, staggering blows that happen in this series! This is from a recent episode, so don't worry about spoilers if you're caught up on the anime.

http://i.imgur.com/Ah07QES.jpg

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 14, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Gyges posted:

Sorry, Eren was already at a Titan hate level of infinity. You just can't hate something more than Eren has hated Titans since chapter 1. No matter what else they do, he's already surpassed and then re-maxed out the human capabilities of hate.

I hate these Titans. Hate hate hate hate hate these Titans. Hate them. Hate every simpering stupid vacant-staring audience-devouring moment of them. Hate the sensibility that anyone would surrender to them. Hate the implied insult to the populace by the belief that the counter-offensive would stand a chance against them.

- Eren Ebert

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The main issue I have seen as a manga reader is that they are indeed following the One Piece method of pacing, which is One Chapter = One Episode, and if that chapter is a short or actiony one, put filler in it to pad it out. Unfortunately, there was a fair chunk of this that was entirely filler, and it shows. Absolutely not THE WORST THING EVER like some folks seem to think, but it has slowed things down a bit when if you read the manga you can just go straight to the next chapter, and don't linger so much on the slower stuff.

Mr. Fowl posted:

That speech was so annoying.
That, for example, was filler!

Zettace posted:

Exactly this. The pacing has been slower than the earlier episodes but the recent episodes were still high in quality. I have a hunch that the people pissed off at the pacing are manga readers who already know what's going to happen and they're just waiting for their favourite scenes to be animated and aren't committed to the story telling method of the anime at all. Us anime only watchers still enjoy the episodes and are eating every minute of it.

Edit:
Basically, enjoy the ride instead of being angry at the anime for not perfectly doing what you apparently want in your head.
Your hunch is stupid. Remember what they say about people who assume.

I've read the manga for a long while now, and while the last few episodes have been slow, and the filler-ey bits are definitely noticeable next to the directly adapted parts, it's by no means the end of the world. In fact, a lot of the anger looks to be coming from anime-only folks like Viggynash.

I'm just eagerly awaiting each new episode. I was satisfied by this one, it had some flaws but was altogether decent and a setup for the next episode, and Pixis's speech was something I was very much looking forward to seeing how they animated it. I do think the two episodes prior to it should have been fit into a single one, but again I point towards the One Piece Pacing Rule to blame for that.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 16, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Because animation

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ViggyNash posted:

As much as I hate this show now
You're joking. You're just being sarcastic, right?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ViggyNash posted:

Unfortunately, no. Im mad because this show had the potential to go in one of many fantastic directions and they chose the boring shounen path.
I don't mean to alarm you, but I think you're having a psychotic break.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
To be fair, the anime has included some stuff that is definitely angling towards the generic aspect as original content. Stuff like the speech as they ran along the wall and the Mikasa/Eren argument in the last episode were not in the manga and honestly were pretty bad.

Viggynash is still crazy overreactionary though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Garnavis posted:

I'm also pretty bored by the fat, decadent, out-of-touch king trope.
Okay, so here's the thing.

Last episode's Rico speech: filler.

Last episode's Mikasa/Eren argument: filler.

That ENTIRE SCENE with the fat nobleman and Pixis many episodes ago: filler.

Mikasa and the pomegranate and ninja-dodging the Titan when Eren-titan shows up: filler.

Many parts/slow pans/flashbacks/etc of Mikasa/Armin/Eren and the scared sergeant dude when they were cornered: filler, though the manga did spend two entire chapters on that part I think.

Just gonna say, if you read this and the above are some of your least favorite parts of the show, you may want to read the manga. I'm not saying DO IT DO IT DO IT NOW or anything, but just pointing out that there are some flaws to the show that are not from the original product.

Mercrom posted:

maybe there's even a point to the glacial pacing.
Like I said, it's One Piece syndrome. One Chapter = One Episode. It's not a great way to do things, but that seems to be what they're falling into right now at least, aside from swapping around a few things such as the training flashbacks.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 17, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Reivax posted:

That said, the guy who considered a quick shot of a pomegranate and Mikasa jumping away from a titan to be filler is nuts.
Reading comprehension is key! Filler isn't necessarily bad(a lot of people who watch the One Piece anime consider the G8 filler arc great), however, those two scenes are indeed filler, even if you think they're good, and that was what the list was of! :thumbsup:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A smaller basement.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Flavahbeast posted:

inside the basement eren finds a smaller basement

Man, do you sometimes wish you could rewind time?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Not everything with a lot of effort put into it is good.

I'm going to say this is one of those cases.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DaveKap posted:

It was easy for me to enjoy the previous episodes but this one kinda killed one of the premises of the show for me.

I was told, and I've see evidence of it, that this show had intelligent people making intelligent decisions and none of the stupid tropes of other animes. Then this episode, we had an elite force person deciding "WELP no way this mission succeeded so let's make everyone lose hope and shoot off the red flare" without giving humanity's only hope a little more than a minute to come to his senses. Then the rest of the episode was spent with Eren not understanding what's going on and being stuck inside a stupid dream world. This premise sucked in FF7, it sucks here too. Finally, Misaka still doesn't understand that she's a controlling nag. This was an episode of people being stupid and that bothered the hell out of me.

So, to me, this was the filler episode. The rest were good. At least it seems like it will just be this one episode and the next one will be better. The battle for Trost is going to end up being the entirety of season 1, isn't it?

I think there's supposed to be a black flare for "total mission collapse/failure", a red flare is supposed to be "we've encountered a serious problem". Given how many people were mistrusting of the mission as a whole to begin with, it's understandable that a red flare would result in "PIXIS, WE SHOULD RECALL ALL THE TROOPS, ABORT THE MISSION!". Also, the Eren in fantasy land thing gives some interesting implications about Titans as a whole, really.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

This is what happens when a show gets hyped too much. Attack on Titan is a great show, but it's still anime.

It's much different when you can binge through the same amount of content in the manga in five minutes rather than 25.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Popo posted:

I don't think that's been accurate for a long time.

As for the question, that depends entirely on how fast you can read. Generally you can read lines faster than a VA can speak them so odds are you can blast through the manga up this point in about an hour, if that.

Nah, most of the episodes have followed that method pretty faithfully. Aside from the training episodes which were switched around to before the defense of Trost rather than after it, it's followed mostly to the letter.

I don't think you could blitz the manga in an hour. Maybe three, unless you REALLY skimmed it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

socialsecurity posted:

Does he at least move the rock?

You bet he does!

Overall, a good episode! If they are smart, they'll go hog wild with animators to add actually animated scenes to all these episodes lacking them in certain spots for the Bluray, this one had a few spots that almost smack of "[animate this scene] - editor", a few slow pans over Trost as a whole, etc.

If they do what I think they'll do with the recap episode, then it'll actually be a pretty smart move, but I'll agree with the guy above that if that does happen, probably should hold off on watching it until the following week's episode.

I am impressed with how they've handled the sheer amounts of gore so far considering how graphic the manga is, especially this episode. Marco's body was still shocking and clearly mutilated but still hidden well enough that you could tell he got a big ol' bite out of him while still avoiding seeing that he was very clearly missing half his ribcage and part of his face.

Also, some of the soundtrack's song titles contain spoilers, so be warned.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 30, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well, maybe not now, but once someone translates the titles, yeah there's some future episode spoilers/twists in them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ah drat, 13.5 is indeed just a recap. What me and a few others probably theorized was (Ep 14 preview spoiler)It would be Eren telling his story in the trial that is happening next episode, with maybe small bits of the courtroom as new animation in this episode, but it seems that it's 100% recycled footage this time around. Kind of a shame, but I can only hope this lets them catch up and put out solid episodes from here on.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
No. Eren's mom is dead. She got bitten in half after literally being wrung like you would a washcloth, though the biting was censored in the anime by her body apparently being part giant ketcup packet. It's hard to imagine a more gruesome end for someone, even Marco only got half his torso and part of his face gnawed off, he didn't get mangled and THEN chomped to bits.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 14, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

To hell with your butt mousepads, pay attention to this. This wonderful, wonderful thing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Davincie posted:

The new songs and OP are really bad and I want the old one back.

Actually the new song really isn't terrible, it's just that Guren No Yumiya is in the top 5 best opening themes in the past decade. The part used for the intro itself, at least.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Daww, Marco. :unsmith:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

creamyhorror posted:

Yeah, I see it as a shounen anime too. I feel Claymore was better in this regard - it didn't drag out the exposition and speeches, but simply let its characters do their thing in their desperate battle against the monsters with minimal internal monologues. That kept the suspense up each episode.
Who exactly said it's not shounen? It totally is. What people are saying is that it subverts many typical tropes of shounen series. Courage and friendship tends to get you eaten in AOT. Bravery is not an infinite supply as shown by Hans and Eren's mom in episode one. That sort of thing. There's plenty of other examples but they haven't been revealed yet so.

Also, much of what people said was in regards to the manga, not the anime. The anime has definitely added some shounenness to it.

Spiritus Nox posted:

So, I watched the first 5 episodes (and the first part of 6 until the Colossal Titan disappeared), and I have to say I'm buying into this pretty well so far. I really like the design of the titans, they're really unsettling (the way that one broke Eren's mom's back before eating her :stonk:), and the 3d movement gear grapple hooks are really loving rad. I do hope they handle running alongside an ongoing manga well, though. I'd hate for it to either get an abrupt and unsatisfying ending or wander on into infinity ala a million Shounen series.

At this point there is only one good place they can end it at if they want to continue it into a second season(and judging by the sales numbers, they will, and hopefully better prepared too).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I said come in! posted:

God, new BSG, in retrospect was a terrible show. It just didn't become obvious until after it aired and I was able to watch whole seasons back to back.
Not really, the issue was they didn't expect it to last as long as it did and so didn't really...think of an ending, and then we got that hot mess.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yes, the correct thing to do when someone steals your art is not to keep it up so everyone knows it's the original, but to take it down which ensures their stolen version is the only one known. There's not a thing artists can do about someone plagiarizing their work elsewhere, so why give them such a victory by removing the originals? It baffles me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I dunno Viggynash. Her haircut and hair color are just all wrong. Your theory is doomed for failure, I'm afraid.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

socialsecurity posted:

I would be less disappointed if this show wasn't touted to me as some sort of clicheless anti-shonen
I haven't seen anyone describe it as "clicheless anti-shounen", and if they did, they're wrong. I have seen a lot of people describe it as a series that subverts a lot of tropes, which it does. It's shounen much like Full Metal Alchemist was shounen.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you say so. I can only see that as your astronomical expectation bias talking after your previous post.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I misremembered you as being the other dude I quoted on the previous page. Sorry, faceless internet guy!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Srice posted:

Read the manga instead of watching the anime because if you watch the anime you'll figure out the twists and it will ruin your enjoyment?

I'd say that being able to figure out twists from context/foreshadowing/etc is a lot better (and rewarding!) than if the twists come out of nowhere.

That's why people recommend the manga first, then the anime. The manga became so popular because it's so good at context/foreshadowing/etc. As someone who reads the manga and watches the anime and loves both, I still think it is the better option to read the manga first, then watch the anime. Even though I love the anime I definitely believe they have handled certain things very poorly compared to the manga.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ironically I think that made people MORE attracted to the character since it wasn't just another moeblob.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What the gently caress are you doing talking about manga stuff that's still far away from now in this thread.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There was still a good amount of slow pans, or scenes with very few moving bits.

The difference is they spaced them out and were very smart with the placement of them compared to the high-energy scenes so that they go almost unnoticed. Really impressive episode, honestly!

I can't wait for next week's episode.

I still think people should read the manga first and then watch the anime even now

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
In terms of progressing, not a huge amount actually happened. The difference is that they paced it so well that it's really hard to notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Actually, no it doesn't. Because I want to see an Attack on Titan beach episode.

• Locked thread