Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Radio! posted:

Why disbud to begin with? Granted, everything I know about disbudding comes from the wikipedia article I just read, but it seems like you could prevent injuries by just trimming horns instead?

Horns are really hard and full of blood vessels, there's really no way to just trim them like a cat's claws. It's more like cutting through bone than through nail. You would need a wire saw or something like a tree branch nipper and there's not a good way to see where the core ends so you run the risk of cutting that and causing a ton of bleeding or getting infected and needing the whole thing removed anyway. Easier to just cauterize the buds before they develop and while the kid is still teeny and easy to handle.

It's mostly dairy breeds that do it and they have to work with their goats so closely and house them in pretty tight areas while getting ready to milk so they really want to prevent anyone getting a horn in an eye or puncturing an udder or anything. I personally don't like it but its easy enough to find goat breeds where it isn't common practice so I never will have to do it. Just like how many people hate docking so they find sheep breeds that don't require it like hair sheep or the naturally short tailed breeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Horns are really hard and full of blood vessels, there's really no way to just trim them like a cat's claws. It's more like cutting through bone than through nail. You would need a wire saw or something like a tree branch nipper and there's not a good way to see where the core ends so you run the risk of cutting that and causing a ton of bleeding or getting infected and needing the whole thing removed anyway. Easier to just cauterize the buds before they develop and while the kid is still teeny and easy to handle.

At a Goat Day festival once (this is a thing in rural north Florida), we saw a lot of people using tennis balls on the end of their goats' horns to prevent any injuries. It was super :3: to see these big bucks and their massive sets of horns, with neon yellow tennis balls stuck to the ends of them.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I forced the little goat to go outside. In true goat fashion he complained in his tiny goat voice the whole time. I've got to borrow a camera that does video soon because the tiny goat noises are possibly the cutest thing ever.

The grumpiest baby goat.

Leap!

Tootsie is in the background wishing her babies were on the outside too.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Anyone ever see a broken horn? They bleed like CRAZY. I've seen less blood in butchering. Gets EVERYWHERE.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Aah, he's adorable. We need that :3: that's really big.

He's all bobbly and chocolatey looking. :kimchi: And tiny. He's probably the cutest thing I've seen all week.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 12, 2013

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

I saw these photos on FB while scrollin, and totally thought they were Poodle photos. He's just so...curly! :3:

And on the topic of debudding/dehorning, I took agriculture classes in high school, because we had the FFA farm. We got to sit through I goat dehorning once, and it was screaming and bleeding so bad that I nearly threw up and fainted. I just had to kind of sit with my head between my legs for a bit. And the crunching noses, dear god.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

What a cute godoodle. :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Jazzy waited for me to pass out breakfast to lamb this morning :3: She had twins, a boy and a girl both nearly 7 lbs each. I thought I turned on the webcam stream when I ran in to get my gear but I guess you're going to have to wait for me to go back in and fix it. Girl is already up and nursing, boy is tall and awkward and still figuring out how legs work.

Jazz is such a good girl :kimchi:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Webcam is up, but its storming here so I don't know how long it will stay up.

Baby girl, who has some blood on her after getting a face full of placenta.

It makes her look kind of evil for an adorable baby lamb.

Baby smile :3:

Full belly, time for a nap.

Jazz is a very concerned mom.

Baby boy is a bit of a giraffe and had trouble figuring out he had to crouch to find a teat until I stuffed it in his mouth.

He is a little dumb but very cute.

Off to try and nurse on the wall again.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012
Baaaaaaybee animals. I like that brown one, he looks like he was covered in chocolate curls. Do you ever tell kids that brown goats/cows/dairy animals make chocolate milk?

Good job, Jazz!

What do the mother goats/sheep think of you when the baby arrives? Does it differ depending on their personality, or do they have a threshold of handling they allow before shoving you out?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

four lean hounds posted:

Baaaaaaybee animals. I like that brown one, he looks like he was covered in chocolate curls. Do you ever tell kids that brown goats/cows/dairy animals make chocolate milk?

Good job, Jazz!

What do the mother goats/sheep think of you when the baby arrives? Does it differ depending on their personality, or do they have a threshold of handling they allow before shoving you out?

I don't have any dairy animals so it's never really come up. Kids tend to know very little about livestock besides what sounds they make though so it would be easy to trick them. I have had to convince more than one that shearing a sheep does not kill it and it's just a hair cut. One was in tears thinking we were going to kill and skin Iph at a show last year.

All my animals are pretty fond of me and are generally ok with me being around while they're in labor and then cleaning off babies. I try to give them space unless they really need help but most appreciate a bit of moral support. Some really want their neck and face rubbed while in labor and they all appreciate me bringing them some tasty warm molasses water afterwards. They get a little worked up when I steal babies to weigh and dip their umbilical cords or just to cuddle but they generally trust the lady that comes bearing grain every day. Angela the goat was more protective than any of my sheep have been and gave me the evil eye quite a bit but even she didn't follow through with anything. It would probably be different if they were range animals or a giant commercial flock though.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I thought this fit in better here than Random Nonsense. Speaking of barn babies, I got to love on this little lady yesterday. :3: She loves neck scratches.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Hooray, more babby sheeps!

So you've got a bit of a dumbaby this year too? :3:

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Serella posted:

At a Goat Day festival once (this is a thing in rural north Florida), we saw a lot of people using tennis balls on the end of their goats' horns to prevent any injuries. It was super :3: to see these big bucks and their massive sets of horns, with neon yellow tennis balls stuck to the ends of them.

Insane Jellyfish, please do this to Twofer.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
DUMBABY YOUR HUSBAND HAS BEEN BORN LET US PREFORM THE MARRIAGE :3:

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

The wedding will take place on the playground at recess. Juice box reception to follow.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

AcetylCoA! posted:

Insane Jellyfish, please do this to Twofer.

I will when I bring him to shear and take pics for you. Due to a certain freckledog I have quite a few punctured tennis balls around to use.

Skizzles posted:

I thought this fit in better here than Random Nonsense. Speaking of barn babies, I got to love on this little lady yesterday. :3: She loves neck scratches.

Awkward baby horsie :neckbeard:

Captain Foxy posted:

DUMBABY YOUR HUSBAND HAS BEEN BORN LET US PREFORM THE MARRIAGE :3:

She hasn't met any of the baby sheeps yet but Iph is fascinated with the wee goat. She's never seen another baby goat before and I think she's excited about not being the smallest of goats anymore.

Slowboy has nursing and walking all figured out now. There's just a lot to pick up the first day you're alive.

I think he's going to have 4 horns like Twofer and Rowan.

Little girl is more outgoing and smart and is already trying to climb and escape things.

Primrose was introduced to the whole flock today. In typical pretty princess fashion she has decided the best place for her to nap is right in the middle of the pen so everyone has to go around her. She's going to be such trouble :3:

Seriously. Right in the middle.

In that picture clockwise from the left corner is Eveleth, Flirt, Juniper, Jewel's butt, Thistle, Aster, Johnnie, Daisy, Dahlia, Prism, Page and Eleanor with the yellow tag.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 13, 2013

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

I will when I bring him to shear and take pics for you. Due to a certain freckledog I have quite a few punctured tennis balls around to use.

Haha, yesssss.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

It wasn't completely terrible out today so all babies went out to see the world. This means you get a massive photodump.

This little chunker is about 11 lbs now.

Eating a bark.

He is very cute.

But hard to get pictures of because he very quickly goes from this:

To this:

And it just looks like I've tossed him.

Primrose remains the cutest thing.

She's so soft!

Jazz's babies are pretty cute too though.

"ugh mom stop."

Baby boy is really friendly.

The one clump of white eyelashes is too cute.

If mom is eating a grass, baby will try eating a grass. It doesn't matter that he doesn't have teeth yet.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Oh god babies everywhere :neckbeard:

Have you thought about if baby boy will be left intact or not? Also, are you expecting more babies? :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Fraction posted:

Oh god babies everywhere :neckbeard:

Have you thought about if baby boy will be left intact or not? Also, are you expecting more babies? :3:

I'm considering it and he doesn't have any obvious disqualifications for registration (besides his pink nose but that will fill in with time) that I can see yet. Someone actually contacted me before I had any lambs born asking me to keep her in mind if I have any ram lambs for sale, but she specifically wanted a Windsor son and I don't know if a Dennis son would be an acceptable alternative for her. We'll have to see what Jewel produces.

Prism the cormoose I think will be up next and I'm pretty sure she'll have twins. The romeldales are due any time now but look like they may have another week to cook. Tootsie the goat is going to be at 150 days on the 19th but she looks like she's carrying twins and they tend to go sooner than singles. I'm pretty sure Jewel will be last as her udder is still teeny and developing. She may be pretty close to the end of the month. The other cormo doesn't seem pregnant at all but they are able to breed year round so I may stick her back with Al and see about some late September lambs from her.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
The moment that someone crosses a poodle with that adorable springy chocolate babbygoat and enables me to keep it in my house is the moment that I will become deeply okay with designer breeding.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Babies!! Are lambs and goatlets allowed to play together or would the resultant cuteness levels be declared illegal?

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Ugh, I just want to make a babypile in your barn and nap in it.

Hellacopter
Feb 25, 2011
Oh my god why do all your little baby animals look like they're smiling at me in all their pictures?? :byodame: Between the little sheep's wooliness and the little goat's curliness, this thread is killing me. :3:

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Hellacopter posted:

Oh my god why do all your little baby animals look like they're smiling at me in all their pictures?? :byodame: Between the little sheep's wooliness and the little goat's curliness, this thread is killing me. :3:

SERIOUSLY. Every picture Instant Jellyfish posts makes me want to start smooching my computer monitor. God help you if I get anywhere near your farm, I'll just be scooping up babies and smothering them with kissies while squealing out the most obnoxious baby talk you've ever heard.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
This thread would be perfect if only it had alpacas. And maybe chicks. Oh, and if I could reach through my screen to pet everything.

It's still my favorite thread, though. Living the dream! (ps get alpacas)

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

AcetylCoA! posted:

Babies!! Are lambs and goatlets allowed to play together or would the resultant cuteness levels be declared illegal?

Right now the goats and sheep are separate because my goats are bitchy and I don't want them getting in fights with giant pregnant sheep. In a month or so they'll probably get together for interspecies frolic time.

Anne Whateley posted:

This thread would be perfect if only it had alpacas. And maybe chicks. Oh, and if I could reach through my screen to pet everything.

It's still my favorite thread, though. Living the dream! (ps get alpacas)

I know a lot of people with alpacas and they keep trying to give me alpacas but I really don't want them. They don't like cuddles, they're weirdly delicate, and everything for alpacas seems to be twice as expensive as stuff for any other livestock. My goat shearer has them and proclaimed she was so proud of her newest baby because it didn't need any blood transfusions! I can't imagine keeping a species that regularly has babies that need blood transfusions to live. The dumbaby was high maintenance enough.

I do agree they're pretty cute though. One of my alpaca owning friends had this baby unexpectedly last summer.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Primrose remains the cutest thing.

That is a puppy. Puppy is not livestock, IJ. I can totally see why some people would be confused

Dem knee spots! I wanna kiss them! :kiddo:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

I know a lot of people with alpacas and they keep trying to give me alpacas but I really don't want them. They don't like cuddles, they're weirdly delicate, and everything for alpacas seems to be twice as expensive as stuff for any other livestock. My goat shearer has them and proclaimed she was so proud of her newest baby because it didn't need any blood transfusions! I can't imagine keeping a species that regularly has babies that need blood transfusions to live. The dumbaby was high maintenance enough.

I do agree they're pretty cute though. One of my alpaca owning friends had this baby unexpectedly last summer.

Alpacas were such a faddish thing for awhile that I think a lot of speculators took an interest even if they weren't really sure what they were doing. Some people only breed for low micron count, or only for personality or show/breeding value or fertility or just because whatshername is soooo cuuuute or whatever. It is definitely possible to get cuddly, durable cria -- I've cuddled 'em -- but agreed, it's not automatic at all. I think even good lines are a little more high-maintenance than a sheep breed that's very self-sufficient, but I don't think needing transfusions is (or should be) the norm :aaa:

Meles meles
Oct 4, 2010
Oh my gosh, I have Lamb Cam envy. I had such grand aspirations of Lamb-cam and Chick-cam at work (charity city farm) but they never happened... maybe next year. I am also so very envious of your Jacobs, dem spotty babies :3: Our lambing has fallen rather late so we've barely started and I don't have any nice photos of the ones who've appeared so far.

The only acceptable photo I have is of one of our British Alpine kids, Bony, who's about 3 weeks old now. She got a little slim and underweight after mum decided to favour her twin brother, so she had a brief spell of living in the office with us at work, (she's back with mum now :) )

Reading through this thread has made me feel compelled to go out and snap some nice photos, I have a feeling what I know I'll be doing at work in my lunch break tomorrow.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Meles meles posted:

Oh my gosh, I have Lamb Cam envy. I had such grand aspirations of Lamb-cam and Chick-cam at work (charity city farm) but they never happened... maybe next year. I am also so very envious of your Jacobs, dem spotty babies :3: Our lambing has fallen rather late so we've barely started and I don't have any nice photos of the ones who've appeared so far.

The only acceptable photo I have is of one of our British Alpine kids, Bony, who's about 3 weeks old now. She got a little slim and underweight after mum decided to favour her twin brother, so she had a brief spell of living in the office with us at work, (she's back with mum now :) )

Reading through this thread has made me feel compelled to go out and snap some nice photos, I have a feeling what I know I'll be doing at work in my lunch break tomorrow.

Oh goodness she is so sweet! Does she have wattles? Definitely take a zillion more pictures and post them here. I can't get enough babbies.

A storm is rolling in here and several sheep and the goat were being weird today so maybe some new babies tonight? They are being really subtle and sneaky this year so I'm not making any promises.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, those ears are huge. :3:

Hoping to see more babies soon, Jellyfish. And that they're as cute as these little monsters. How's Freckleman, is he feeling any better?

Meles meles
Oct 4, 2010

Oh goodness she is so sweet! Does she have wattles? Definitely take a zillion more pictures and post them here. I can't get enough babbies.

A storm is rolling in here and several sheep and the goat were being weird today so maybe some new babies tonight? They are being really subtle and sneaky this year so I'm not making any promises.

Yeah, all ours seem to have them, hers are lopsided, somehow it makes her even more adorable :3:

I hope you don't mind a momentary thread hi-jack. I tried to take some photos at work whilst the sun was out and discovered it's a lot harder then it looks.
Apparently anyone who kneels down in the kids pen is now to be used as a climbing frame *sniff* they grow so fast.

Bottle fed lambs that were bought in a couple of weeks ago.

Some of our British Alpines, mama Britney and her twin kids, Billy and Bony

They are firmly in the "chewing things" phase; keys, buttons, zips... hair :(

Arthur, the first of our own lambs to be born this year. He is a Poll Dorset, and will be a week old this Friday.

Guinevere and Galahad, a few days old.

Another lamb from last night, no name yet, maybe Mordred or Merlin.

New piggies :3: but they are total chew fiends.
Oxford Sandy Black hybrids, someone told me they were crossed with Gloucestershire Old Spots but I'll be honest, I have no idea.

Bonus farm cat, who has been enjoying 2013 and treating all our incubators as cat-sized heat mats.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ahh, piggywigs as well! You've got some cute critters there. :3:

Saw what you posted about Major in Random Nonsense, IJ. Poor guy, hope he's better soon.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

McDragon posted:

Ahh, piggywigs as well! You've got some cute critters there. :3:

Saw what you posted about Major in Random Nonsense, IJ. Poor guy, hope he's better soon.

Yeah, poor beast. He just couldn't let the woolies get all the attention.

Three of the girls looked like they were in labor last night so I got up every 2 hours to check on them and none of them actually had babies. They can't hold out forever :argh:

Meles meles posted:

Yeah, all ours seem to have them, hers are lopsided, somehow it makes her even more adorable :3:

I hope you don't mind a momentary thread hi-jack. I tried to take some photos at work whilst the sun was out and discovered it's a lot harder then it looks.
Apparently anyone who kneels down in the kids pen is now to be used as a climbing frame *sniff* they grow so fast.

Eeeeeee! They're all so cute! This thread is for all baby livestocks so feel free to post them whenever you want. That naughty little one chewing you with the wattles and bitty horns :kimchi:

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Jazz's babies are pretty cute too though.

"ugh mom stop."

Baby boy is really friendly.

The one clump of white eyelashes is too cute.

If mom is eating a grass, baby will try eating a grass. It doesn't matter that he doesn't have teeth yet.

Voting Basil and Chicory for names.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, I was going past a local farm today and there's lots of lambs gambolling about. I forgot how lovely it was to see them all springing about the place.

One Eyed Daruma
Sep 15, 2007

Three of the girls looked like they were in labor last night so I got up every 2 hours to check on them and none of them actually had babies. They can't hold out forever :argh:

It has been my experience that sheep, goats, llamas and alpacas will hold it until the worst possible time ever to give birth.
Hurrinadoquake?
Babies all ove the place.
Barn fire?
Hey, have twin kids pop out while the ruins are still smoldering so a fireman gets play"catch."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
I followed your thread last year, and it was one of the best things to read. :3: All the little babies. I am sad I missed the lamb cams, but maybe I'll catch another! Until then I am going to satisfy myself with all these adorable pictures.

• Locked thread