Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
:neckbeard:

Does she have that great new-lamb smell? I always loved the way the spring lambs smelled at the sheep farm down the road from us - not when they were fresh and gooey, of course, but after a couple of days of tottering around in the sunshine and snuggling with Mom in the straw. And milk breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

So you got the little buckling you were hoping for?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Tendai posted:

Between this thread and chickam, I want a farm. I want a farm so bad.

I was browsing real estate listings in my area for shits and giggles, and came across a gorgeous 7-acre farm with a beautiful 18th-century farmhouse, just across the West Virginia state line. My stepsister and her husband are looking for a house, and it would only be a 20 minute drive to the town where they work.

I definitely sent her the link. And if they buy it, I will lobby her to let me keep beasties there that I can't keep at my house in the suburbs...

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I really need to convince my aunt to post more pictures of her goat babies. They're a little breed, so the newborn kids are smaller than her pet cats and it is adorable. :3:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

What is that statue doing to the sheep?!

The guy in the middle looks like Bob Hoskins.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Piper looks so sweet :3:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I'm working on a series of paintings with a circus sideshow theme, and thanks to this thread one of the freaks is a goat boy. Haven't thought of a good name for him yet, though...

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I wanna see that goat boy when you're done. I find circus attractions fascinating :allears:

He's not done, but here's the progress so far:

Hopefully it's not too "weird otherkin" - he's just what I pictured in my head when I was trying to think of freak show acts. There's also a miscellaneous jar of weird specimens and a strongman's leotard. I think I'm going to try and sell them as a triptych.

He still needs a name, though :)

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I bet the others like the boys with the big splayed-out horns because they can use them to scratch the itchy stuff they can't reach :3:

Also, I know a lot of people in this thread are fiber fans, and I wanted to post a link to a Facebook post about a stolen skein. Someone grabbed the "handspun, 50/50 silk and merino, from a hand-painted rainbow roving, and weighs approximately 6 ounces" skein at the Montgomery County (MD) ag fair and the owners would very much like it back. Just thought I'd help with the signal boost.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Enelrahc posted:

No drat clue how they got her into the stocks.

Glad I scrolled down, because I was just going to post and ask this!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Just out of curiosity, are there any sheep breeds that are good for both fiber and meat? My middle sister is currently pricing out land, and she wants to raise sheep for wool but also wants to eat them now and again. I'm sure she'll do more research as the actual land purchase gets closer, but she was curious when I mentioned the livestock thread to see if anyone had advice. Would she be better off keeping two breeds?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I'll let her know :) I think she mostly wants them for wool, and will probably just end up eating her excess ram lambs and the occasional troublemaker.

Our aunt has promised her a couple of baby goats once they get set up, but they're myotonics (and minis) so they'll mostly just be pasture candy unless she decides to eat them - they're not much good for milk, and they certainly aren't fiber goats.

And she said I can pick out some chickens to keep with her birds and they will be mine :neckbeard: and I can take lots of allergy medicine and drive out there and cuddle them.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Lamb is nice. It has a slightly...I dunno how to explain it, I'd almost say metallic? flavor, compared to beef, which can be overwhelming depending on how it's prepared. It's a very tender red meat. Grown-up sheep (mutton) is quite a bit tougher and has more of that flavor to it, but can still be very tasty. I love a leg of lamb roasted with Dijon mustard, garlic, and rosemary. Lamb shanks cooked up into osso bucco are fantastic. You can really make a lot with it!

I've only had goat meat a couple of times, but it's very similar. I've had it prepared both Greek style and as an Indian curry, and both were very good. I was actually surprised not to see goat on more menus while I was in Kuwait, since they raise tons of meat goats (you'd see them everywhere), but I was told that only poor people there eat goat and the types of restaurants an American lady would find herself in would be ashamed to serve it. You could buy it in the grocery store, of course.

I don't think my sister would mind eating her goats, but my aunt might be upset about it - I don't think she's ever eaten any of them. Since they're the miniature version of the breed, I'm not sure how much meat is really on a kid (they're SO tiny when they're babies), but the adults are definitely meaty beasts.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

bamhand posted:

I think the flavor is called "gamey". Lamb is really good dusted in salt, cumin, and chili powder and then roasted or grilled.

People say that, but I find that true "game" meats have a different flavor than lamb. It can still be rather off-putting if not handled well, but it's not the same to my taste buds. Maybe I'm just weird. And I was trying to find a word that actually described the flavor, since gamey doesn't mean anything to a person unless they've tasted it :)

Lamb burgers, man. Ground lamb with lots of parsley and garlic and black pepper. Perfect.

My other favorite lamb preparation is to cut it into bite-sized pieces and wrap them in bacon. Then they go in a Guinness bath at a low temperature for a while until they're mostly cooked through. Then the liquid is poured off and the temperature is turned up to crisp the outside. Then they are eaten, enthusiastically. I make a mean spicy-sweet Guinness dipping sauce.

I did have someone come up to me at a party and say "RazorBunny, I think these scallops might be bad," which made me laugh.

I had a similar experience to a life less' while I was in the Middle East, the only goat dairy products were imported and tended to only be sold at the grocery stores that catered to foreigners. It was strange to see goats everywhere and not be served anything that came from a goat.

I feel a little weird filling this thread with sheep-eating chat, but as long as IJ doesn't mind...

By the way, here are some of the goats in Kuwait:

They had really long, floppy ears that bounced around a lot when they ran :)

RazorBunny fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 20, 2013

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

My take is always that as long as they have a good, happy life and as painless a death as possible, it doesn't matter to me how long that life is. But I know some people have strong feelings about eating baby animals, and there's nothing wrong with that.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I kinda want to see you cord that boy and tell people he's a Komondor.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

By the way if I ever had a farm I would want to keep pigs. Pigs are wonderful and sweet and friendly, but they are also very stinky and will try to murder you and eat you at the drop of a hat. Maybe I wouldn't want to keep pigs.

Mustache pig :3:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

GabrielAisling posted:

If you don't have a whole bunch of them, they're less stinky because you can use a higher-maintenance bedding to keep the smell down. Also pigs handled their whole lives are sweeties.

Their feces is still incredibly awful smelling, but you're right, it's less gross with fewer animals.

I've heard some horror stories of even friendly, socialized piggies attacking a farmer who tripped and fell in the pig pen or cut his arm on a fence post. And if you were to have a heart attack and die in the middle of the pen, I'm pretty sure they'd eat you no matter what.

I still like them though.

I love the aesthetics of the big meaty breeds, like the Yorkshire white, but they would be way too huge to just keep as pets I think.

Don't worry IJ, I love spotty pigs too...

The Gloucester Old Spot. And they are delicious.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Nobody told me they were such good climbers.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I like long tails because they're waggly :3:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Reposting this from earlier, because it is adorbs.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

AcetylCoA! posted:

Made the mistake of googling electro-ejaculator. Yes, there are sickos who use them on people.

Not necessarily "sickos" - electrical stimulation of the prostate can help men who have suffered severe neurological damage. Some studies have shown that inducing an orgasm through the prostate can reduce tremors, some types of seizures, and pain. Plus, paralyzed men often experience problems because their reproductive equipment isn't functioning on its own and can develop granulomas and other side effects of not clearing the tubes often enough. :science:

Never has that emoticon been more appropriate, I think.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Don't forget there are miniature cattle breeds, both dairy and beef. They take up a lot less space and need less pasture, although they of course produce less as a result of being smaller.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Apparently one of my aunt's pregnant goats tried to worm her way out of the warm, well-lit maternity pen through the wire. Her head and front legs fit through, but her big pregnant belly got stuck. My aunt heard screaming and came out to find that she had to rescue this:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Tiny and yelling is better news :unsmith:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Freckle knees :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007